• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And i created thread because some people were already buying SSDs. There are fast enough SSDs out there but M.2 slot is disabled and Sony needs to approve all of those SSDs.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's.. a bummer. I was planning on storing & playing a large amount of PS4 BC games in addition to Demon's Souls & Mile Morales.

Oh well, not really a huge deal.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I thought this topic was something bumped from March.
Surprised so many didn't know this.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Cerney said "...It would be great if that happened by launch, but it's likely to be a bit past it." So us hearing that it's confirmed to not be launch is still newsworthy.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
On the fact that Sony has avoided the subject for months and now it's confirmed that there will not be an option to expand storage at launch.

How is this hard to follow?

edit: people were assuming that you'd be able to just give a try yourself and slot in any 7gb/s drive available on the market at launch though but it seems Sony disabled just in case to avoid any issues until they can approve.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you can use a normal drive to plugin and swap games in and out? Saves downloads at least. So there is a workaround I guess.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Probably due to the unfounded hyperbole in your response?

If you don't think that being able to expand storage is a big thing, you're entitled to that opinion, but it doesn't give you the right to call another persons opinion as "hyperbole".

A many other other threads here on ERA have proved lately, it's a pretty important subject for many.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I feel like that Samsung 980 Pro and WD SN850 still have a pretty large chance of being compatible. They just need more to to test and optimize the software

Oct 10, 2020
We know this since professor Cerny's class many months ago. Isn't his fault that the market can't keep up with PS5 innovation

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't think that being able to expand storage is a big thing, you're entitled to that opinion, but it doesn't give you the right to call another persons opinion as "hyperbole".

A many other other threads here on ERA have proved lately, it's a pretty important subject for many.

I think it's a big deal. I also think some are being disingenuous in their framing.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Cerny told us very clearly, 7 months ago:
- Do NOT to buy any SSD until Sony compiled a list of compatible drives
- The list will not make it for "launch day", it will be "a little past that"
- They have samples from manufacturers
- They expect, by year end, drives available will saturate 7GB/s

200.gif

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This feels like a mistep and huge mistake not to have ready at launch, or maybe soon after. With PS plus collection installing games to SSD, and then add a few PS5 titles like WDL, Black Ops, Spiderman, Demon Souls. You will be filling that SSD in no short order. So now we get to sweat whilst Sony pulls their finger out..

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Can PS4 BC games be played off of cold storage or do they need to beoved to the main drive? I know PS5 games need to be on the main drive.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Considering this thread has at least four people just on the most recent page who have already bought >$200 'certified SSDs' for their PS5, I think it's probably a PSA worth repeating.

www.resetera.com

Western Digital shows their first PS5 compatible SSD on their press material (update: Nov 5th, Sony confirmed these won’t work at launch)

I do have a PC with a PCIe 4 slot. Hmmmm. I also got an NVMe with an enclosure, but its PCIe 3. For external use. I'm about to be broke before Christmas ....😩 Look, somebody has to get the list started!!! Might as well be the customers. lol.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Doesn't sound like a huge deal, do you really need extra space at launch?
Personally I'm more concerned about the lack of the "transfer to USB" option for saves and media, seems like they're not planning to bring it back at all and I use it a lot :(

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Considering this thread has at least four people just on the most recent page who have already bought >$200 'certified SSDs' for their PS5, I think it's probably a PSA worth repeating.

www.resetera.com

Western Digital shows their first PS5 compatible SSD on their press material (update: Nov 5th, Sony confirmed these won’t work at launch)

I do have a PC with a PCIe 4 slot. Hmmmm. I also got an NVMe with an enclosure, but its PCIe 3. For external use. I'm about to be broke before Christmas ....😩 Look, somebody has to get the list started!!! Might as well be the customers. lol.

Yes, folks need to stop buying stuff before Sony certifies it. This thread is a great PSA for that.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
We knew in March that there were no drives fast enough but that they would be approving drives in the future. I don't recall him saying categorically that they wouldn't be ready at launch, but maybe he did.

Regardless, if the WD/Samsung drives are in fact fast enough for the PS5 then I hope they will approve them quickly.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Can PS4 BC games be played off of cold storage or do they need to beoved to the main drive? I know PS5 games need to be on the main drive.

PS4 games can be played off cold storage, an external usb drive. Indeed they're encouraging people to do just that to keep SSD space for PS5 games.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
haven't read much replies but anyone ragin' yet?

Yes and spin about it being a problem on a system level.

Cerny told us very clearly, 7 months ago:
- Do NOT to buy any SSD until Sony compiled a list of compatible drives
- The list will not make it for "launch day", it will be "a little past that"
- They have samples from manufacturers
- They expect, by year end, drives available will saturate 7GB/s

200.gif

I just love this use of gif and it deserves repeating cos it's facts.