• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
why did I buy 3 copies of CoD cold war for PS5 then ? Smh

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Oh i thought this was about expandable usb storage for ps4 games, guess not. I'll wait for their list, probably a year or two too for pricing to get cheaper as well.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
How can you add an SSD expansion if there aren't any SSDs capable enough available right now?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Cerny said this in March, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet.

As for whether or not anything has "kicked off yet" I don't think they'd be privy to Sony's internal testing aside from letting manufacturers know if any of them passed and could brand them as being PS5 compatible.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Title is a little misleading no? It's not that it won't support SSD expansion, they just haven't actually gone through the certification process yet.
They disabled the port, so it really won't support anything until Sony update thing.

I know they said in March but it's Nov now and drives are available, seems strange to lock out the port. Maybe it's just a compatibility issue.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Damn. My Samsung 980 Pro has been sitting here for almost a month in preparation. At least I have until January to return it to Amazon.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Title is a little misleading no? It's not that it won't support SSD expansion, they just haven't actually gone through the certification process yet.
Nah they disabled the M2 slot

While the PS5 features a dedicated internal slot that can theoretically fit standard stick-shaped M.2 SSDs and an easy way to access it, the slot will apparently be disabled out of the box. "[T]his is reserved for a future update," Sony tells The Verge.

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing but expected, Cerny did say it would be after launch that the certified list came out so not a shock, more a reconfirmation. Will just have to be a little conservative with what I actually have on here until the point expandable storage is possible - hopefully not too long after launch.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand the situation with the sizing. Are they waiting for drives that match the scaling of the internal drive (chosen for performance)? Because 825/1.6 drives seem unlikely. In which case do they need to certify drives that outperform the internal SSD to accommodate for that difference?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
tenor.gif

Any external drive goes though, right?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Using external SSD storage to more easily transfer games, but this is still somewhat disappointing given that the usable size of the PS5 internal SSD is only 75% or so of the rated number. Very, very little storage to work with, especially if you play COD frequently and need 125-250gb installed PERMANENTLY - taking up between 15-25% of the ENTIRE SSD.

Kind of absurd.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Very shitty, but also expected.

Sony has been very cagey about this subject. It was clear there was some issue.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
So does this mean Sony is blocking the expansion slot from even working? Or have they just not officially approved any drives?

I guess they will eventually have a whitelist of supported drives once they begin approving them.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
and some people here already bought those 1tb/2tb WD SSD's

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Cerny has said in his talk half a year ago that SSD compatibility will likely be unveiled after the launch.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty dumb but likely won't be a problem at launch. If they don't have it in place 3-4 months down the line, then that's a different story....

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Not everyone is on top of all the news though. It's pretty common for many people to miss widely shared news, just by chance.

While I agree, a basic google search would give that information if adding one is a big deal to someone. Maybe I'm giving people too much credit to actually do research on features they want in something before buying it though. Oh well, regardless this is coming later so not a big deal.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what about the ssds that just came out a few days ago? Can't remember the manufacturer.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I guess we just have to wait until Sony has tested out those SSDs but certainly there are people who would've liked to have this at launch. I'm planning to buy one next year so hopefully this thing is sorted out in the next few months.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't WD advertise their new SSD as PS5 compatible?
Yup, they did. And as with the BenQ 1440p monitor, it appears to have been a shot in the dark that missed.

With that said, I'm kinda surprised that there's going to be zero options available on day one, since I had assumed that if companies were advertising PS5 support then that would implies Sony had begun the whitelisting process. Evidently not.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you basing this on?

This is revisionist history. There was more than just a hint--Cerny literally said this would be the case back in March.

don't talk to me about a Mark cerny gdc presentation. They had plent of time to affirm this and not refer back to some super niche video with time stamps

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand the situation with the sizing. Are they waiting for drives that match the scaling of the internal drive (chosen for performance)? Because 825/1.6 drives seem unlikely. In which case do they need to certify drives that outperform the internal SSD to accommodate for that difference?

There's no issue about capacities for ssd expansion. It's purely about the performance, whether it meets the threshold or not. And yeah, they need a certain buffer of out-performance to compensate for certain differences with the internal drive (chiefly the command queue differences).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping drives get certified soon. Feeling for those people that spent $500+ on WD/Samsung drives.