• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple wants to make sure people look at that and think why would you ever want to do something like this?

That was my immediate thought, and it appears to be in line with everyone else.

If Apple actually gave a shit, they would just make the battery easier to access & replace. But they want people to feel like they have to go back to Apple.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Also half of the replies here also highlight the lack of understanding.

A: You are not obligated to even rent those tools. If you want to "take a spudger and blowdryer" as someone pointed out, you can do so.
b: As someone also erroneously pointed out, you can just buy the tools outright if you also desire.

The only bad part of this entire program is it is only a handful of iPhone models. The older iPhones that would need the most repairs and care, are left out.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Imagine if this was just a fucking phone that had no business being a bitch to repair.

Oh wait! Apple make great stuff but fuck me their whole shtick is self obsessive.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read that and honestly though "well, no one can actually defend this", but... lo and behold...

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Beyond all the other obvious deterrents to people who might want to use this, the most egregious thing is charging people $70 for the battery alone . Which, is the same price as it would cost at an apple store, for the battery and labor combined.

"What did you expect???", something alot closer to an i-Fix-it kit. $50 for the battery, $70 for battery + tools. Something someone might reasonably be able to do on their own. Not $100+ to get 80lbs of tools delivered to your house and be charged $1200 dollars if you don't send them back almost immediately.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty nuts but I think this is apple trying to get out ahead of potential law suits from states AG offices as states try to pass right to repair laws.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
They don't actually want or expect anyone to use this.

It's purely to pre-empt Right to Repair laws.

Oct 25, 2017
What stupid article. You don't have to use their equipment, but it is available if you want to use the exact same tools that Apple uses. I don't understand the outrage...

Obligatory Rossmann response to the Verge article:

www.youtube.com

the verge is so bad they have me defending Apple, damn you D:

https://old.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/uulv9q/apple_shipped_me_a_79pound_iphone_repair_kit_to/https://matrix.to/#/#rossmannrepair:matrix.org🔵 We fix Macb...

Fucking exactly! How dumb is all this.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
This kit is pure malicious compliance. They don't want people repairing their own phones but are under regulatory scrutiny to do so - so by making the process so burdensome and inconvenient they hope that nobody will take them up on the offer.

Oct 25, 2017
This kit is pure malicious compliance. They don't want people repairing their own phones but are under regulatory scrutiny to do so - so by making the process so burdensome and inconvenient they hope that nobody will take them up on the offer.

Nothing is stopping you from using third party equipment. This is the exact equipment Apple uses themselves. What did you expect?

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
I guess since EU requires (or will require) Apple to make their phones repairable this is showing a middle finger to the law.

Not necessarily because they want to make it difficult, but because it actually requires some tools and skill to do properly and there's no way to easily fill the requirements of the law.
79 pounds of tools? Nah, they're taking the piss as well as complying with anything else. Kind of funny to see. Or maybe just corporate weirdness resulted in the whole repair tool kit being the only way they wanted to provide tools.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is stopping you from using third party equipment. This is the exact equipment Apple uses themselves. What did you expect?

I literally tried pointing this out (along with the Rossmann video) that the tools are not mandatory, and yet people came right back and said how Apple is making the tools mandatory.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Shame on the original article and the people jumping on the hate train just because. If it were any other company, it would be something like "This is such a PRO Consumer move, they make the same tools they use available for repairs," but because it's Apple, let's ridicule it. I thought everyone was for right to repair?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem like a too difficult profess TBQH, but it's burdensome enough that I'd rather put in the effort of just going to my carrier and trading in my phone. Which is probably the goal of Apple anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's just talking about the headline (the tools). Nothing about the logistic of the whole thing and Apple's position on right-to-repair policies, which are a big and important part of the article.

It's because he's already discussed those things to death with the terribleness of their partner/certified program. He's focused on the big picture where the real problem is in Apple not releasing parts and schematics. The whole "missing the forest through the trees" part. Only releasing a screen and battery for three phone models is a performative gesture, and the "logistics" is a distraction.

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
Shame on the original article and the people jumping on the hate train just because. If it were any other company, it would be something like "This is such a PRO Consumer move, they make the same tools they use available for repairs," but because it's Apple, let's ridicule it. I thought everyone was for right to repair?

If any other company suggested that an officially recommended way to repair their product was to get 80 lbs of tools shipped to you and pay a $1200 deposit I'd still be laughing. It's a ridiculous way to solve a problem and it makes me think that isn't a good faith effort to allow repairs.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that despite the impracticality of transporting the gear it is a very good service if you want to self repair. They ship you an entire workbench worth of equipment.

The real problem is the part wher you have to phone up a 3rd part yto have your repair or spare parts verified.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I would like to read the opinion of someone who actually knows what they're doing with these tools or at least semi-handy enough not to bumble through this. The Verge has proven themselves to be technically inept in the past, to put it lightly.

Also this kit is intended for professional tech repair shops or tech-savvy users, to allow them to do apple repair jobs that are on-par with official repairs through an apple store. By no means is this meant for the average apple user.

Last edited:

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
The carbon footprint of shipping something so heavy back and forth would be my concern over anything else.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for posting this.

I also found this equally insane. Even as a regulatory middle finger it costs them an absolute fortune to provide.

To me, those giant Pelican cases are the proof. It would cost Apple a fortune to ship 79 pounds of equipment to individual homes all over the country, even with corporate discounts. The Verge is obviously far, far smaller than Apple, but it would cost us upwards of $200 just to return those cases to their sender. Yet Apple offers free shipping both directions with your $49 rental, plus a dedicated support team to validate your parts and facilitate returns. (Though, apparently, it doesn't do the latter anywhere near its Silicon Valley HQ: when I took the support team up on its offer of picking up my battery, they told me they didn't have a driver within 250 miles of my location, and I should just drop it off at the nearest Home Depot.)

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if this was just a fucking phone that had no business being a bitch to repair.

Oh wait! Apple make great stuff but fuck me their whole shtick is self obsessive.

Not defending these shitty glued on devices in anyway but in all of the modern phone and tablets I've repaired, Apple devices are by far the easiest to open up. Microsoft Surface products on the other hand are terribly fragile even for the highly experienced. The adhesives are not repair friendly at all.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to Apple to figure out the most complicated process to technically get around allowing right to repair. Especially the part around needing to get the battery verified which just seems like an extra unnecessary step, combined with needing to hook up to a PC.

And obviously bad for the environment when you're shipping two massive containers around.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Shipping an 80lb package back and forth is 80x worse than shipping a phone to a repair shop. If it happens 1/80th of the time when a battery dies it's already worse.
I'm trying to think who would actually do this, even 1/80th of the time. I guess if you live really far away from any apple stores/repair centers or something?

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm trying to think who would actually do this, even 1/80th of the time. I guess if you live really far away from any apple stores/repair centers or something?

I repair stuff on my own if I can all the time. My experience with Apple is that they don't guarantee your data to be preserved even if your problem has nothing to do with the storage device, plus I lose access to use of the device for only an hour or two rather than for weeks. Of course I'm atypical but most people whose batteries die or other parts fail end up replacing their device completely.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
If any other company suggested that an officially recommended way to repair their product was to get 80 lbs of tools shipped to you and pay a $1200 deposit I'd still be laughing. It's a ridiculous way to solve a problem and it makes me think that isn't a good faith effort to allow repairs.
The official way to repair it is to get the $69 replacement at the store, that's why it's priced essentially the same. This is for small stores and people who want to do a bunch of iPhones; of course it's overkill

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
The 80 lb tool kit isn't the problem, it's a good thing. The problem is all the components and tools that Apple DOESN'T make available for purchase that completely nullify any Right-to-Repair goodwill that they attempted to generate with this program.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The official way to repair it is to get the $69 replacement at the store, that's why it's priced essentially the same. This is for small stores and people who want to do a bunch of iPhones; of course it's overkill
This isn't for that, otherwise why have the time limit? It seems like they expressly don't want you to keep it for long. It's for compliance only, no?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
/Louis

Relevant. Hot takes will kill right to repair progress.
Nobody is forcing you to use $1200. But if you want to use the same tools you can. Or go to the apple store.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Never change, Apple.

This is why people need to stop rooting for corporations. There are very obvious ways that that Apple could've done this better for those that are interested and instead they chose to expose said customers to a highly-risky and potentially costly situation.

Gross.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017

No it wouldn't it would be the exact same response because this is completely insane.

You are out of your mind if you think this is anywhere close to normal. Completely to get ahead of potential lawsuits.