• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, apple is good at creating negative trends just because it maximizes their profit margins.

I like giving credit where credit is due, they created the current form factor and their SOC design has changed mobile tech significantly. Also their notch is ugly, but their the only manufacturer as far as I've seen that has been able to eliminate the smartphone chin. There's good there, but because they killed the headphone jack and created the notch people forget the positives.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't being hostile, just finding humor in conflicting statements.

Also "don't mistreat my electronics" is still a lot different from "babying". I don't know many people who have devices that need to be babied. Who knows, maybe you're thinking of that term differently than what it means and that's where the confusion is?

As I said earlier in this thread we will see what everything looks like in 3-4 weeks. Maybe it's bad, maybes it's not. We won't know until consumers have a hold of it and it goes through normal wear and tear from normal everyday use.
Agred on the above. There's a bit of an apocalyptic undertone to some of the reviews and comments about the Fold, but we really don't know how durable the device is yet when used with reasonable care. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be using my foldable phone to control my curved TV.
Don't forget to wear your 3D glasses while you're at it.

But yeah. I've reflected about the concept for a bit now. It's cool per se but even provided all the current limitations will be overcome (plastic screen 🤮, crease, weird phone mode, thickness, longevity, design, software...), the mini tablet mode that's supposed to be the selling point will always be weird. For lack of better reference, let's take any modern flagship phone and imagine we could fold it out to twice its size without any compromise. The aspect ratio will always suck for video unless the phone mode aspect ratio moves in a completely different direction. The size won't be large enough to replace a dedicated tablet or get more complex stuff done (I'd even argue the 12,9" iPad form factor is the minimum for working comfortably with documents etc side-by-side). That leaves us with the mere premise of more screen estate without any considerable functional gain. Always nice, but not exactly super exciting - just like slim bezel phones. But perhaps my ideas are just restricted by how I use my current tech setup 🤷‍♂️

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Apple fans also denied that anyone would want bigger phones because Lord Steve made a video with a thumb and how far it could reach. But here we are. Nothing in tech is for everyone, but foldable phones will be a dominant form factor in 3-5 years. A few people will buy non foldable phones, just like people (including myself) buy iPhone SE or other small phones. But foldable is the future.

And some of us miss the smaller phones honestly and are ticked off at the big phone trend.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
https://www.gizchina.com/2019/04/21/samsung-galaxy-fold-pre-sale-temporarily-canceled/

Samsung Galaxy Fold pre-sale temporarily cancelled

https://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/623861.html

Rumor that the sales training for this phone is being halted

Looks like it's isolated to China right now.

That second link though. I would never be able to get past that crease in the middle of the screen. It's so noticeable in that photo.

Curious to see one of these in person soon.

Edit - NVM. Translated the article and it seems it may affect NA. Hmm.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gizchina.com/2019/04/21/samsung-galaxy-fold-pre-sale-temporarily-canceled/

Samsung Galaxy Fold pre-sale temporarily cancelled

https://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/623861.html

Rumor that the sales training for this phone is being halted

That second link though. I would never be able to get past that crease in the middle of the screen. It's so noticeable in that photo.

Didn't samsung's website have pre-orders up preiviously? It just has sign up for notifications now.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-fold/

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Whats alarming is this is whats happened to phones that fold inside.

Phones that fold so the screen is on the outside are obviously going to be even worse in terms of faults.
Yeah - it makes me wonder how the Huawei foldable phone will be. That one looked more impressive than Samsung's but now I'm wondering if it will suffer from the same issues.

Oct 26, 2017
To no one's surprise you are attacking anyone saying anything anti apple.
Why are you here?
It's a Samsung thread, reveling in the competition having a black eye?

The person he's quoting has this weird hate boner for Apple that goes way beyond the norm for even ERA. Check the post history. Particularly the thread about Apple Music overtaking Spotify in US subscribers.

Oct 26, 2017

If this is true, it would appear Samsung's investigations into the causes of the breakages revealed something more than just user error.

That or they figured out that sticking a plastic sheet on top of the plastic screen isn't the best way to prevent a product from melting down.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I only watched the Casey Neistat video, and while his wasn't broken, he admitted and showed that the screen has a visible bulge/crease along the hinge. That's going to get worse over time and is a deal-breaker for me, at least at an expensive price point. I don't mind the larger size of my XS Max; big, but pocketable even if it takes up the whole pocket. An object that isn't as wide, but twice as thick is actually less manageable. I don't really consume media regularly on my phone, the puzzle games I typically play don't benefit from more screen, I prefer e-ink for reading, I don't like writing long-form with my thumbs. I guess I'm just not a target audience for this. I could more easily embrace the idea of smaller phones but with all this new camera tech.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just speculation.

It's rational. Exterior plastic screens are gonna be a major point of concern if we're seeing a significantly more sheltered internal screen suffer these sorts of issues, unless Huawei engineering and materials science is just light-years ahead of Samsung.

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017
Hah! Apple didn't even invent the notch. The Essential phone was the first mainstream phone to release with a notch and they did it much better than Apple did with more of a tear drop. Multiple other carriers showed their notch phones earlier as well
Apparently the notch was inevitable based of screen technology though Xaomi managed to go notch free with the Mi Mix which was way ahead of apple and all other phones when it came to full screen displays. Shame the phone didn't sell well in the US. It was beautiful though a bit wonky with the bottom front facing camera.

I'm currently rocking the Mi Mix 3 which has no notch and the screen covers 100% of the front.

To be fair, Apple had leaks showing their notch well before the essential phone was announced.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PjldNfa.jpg

kAJeB0y.jpg

How much can you possibly milk a phone?
I watched only one of his videos and refuse to watch any more.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they had got this right out of the gate, but at the same time I guess someone has to have that first bugged product. I really want foldable phones, it just seems logical given how much screen size is becoming both unwieldy in terms of size but practical in terms of usage. Folding on the inside also seems way more practical in the long term.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Apple had leaks showing their notch well before the essential phone was announced.

Was it? The Essential phone was shown 4 months before the iPhone x was even announced on September 17, 2017. The Essential phone was shown and announced in May of 2017 and released in August 2017, before we ever laid eyes on the X.

LG technically had the first notch phone in 2015 using a second screen on top to display icons and the camera.

Anywho, it's pretty much possible for apple to be first to market anymore. With the Chinese manufacturers catching up l, they will always be first to market on pretty much every tech, especially with the sheer volume of phone models and iterations they pump out. Apple will focus on refinement vs innovation

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
What's the over under on whether this thing even makes it to market? I think they should scrap it and focus on gen 2. Maybe release this as a Dev device. For free.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's rational. Exterior plastic screens are gonna be a major point of concern if we're seeing a significantly more sheltered internal screen suffer these sorts of issues, unless Huawei engineering and materials science is just light-years ahead of Samsung.

Wouldn't folding on the outside increase the radius of the bend, thereby reducing a kink failure mode possibility? Folding on the outside potentially could be safer.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We speculated that this was going to happen, too, fwiw.

People were freaking out about folding screens, excitedly saying it was the future coming today, and I was like IT'S PLASTIC Y'ALL.
We have no evidence that Huawei will release an underbaked product not ready for prime time, like Samsung seems to be doing. That's an unusual thing for any company to do. Among other things, maybe they don't include a load bearing film protector on their display.

There's been other plastic phones and screens in the past. That won't be the issue in itself.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soft plastic on the outside is safer?
Safer for what? Scratches? Maybe not. That doesn't seem to be the problem here though. I can post hundreds of phones and other devices with a plastic screen on the outside and they didn't face any issues other than being more prone to scratching.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We have no evidence that Huawei will release an underbaked product not ready for prime time, like Samsung seems to be doing. That's an unusual thing for any company to do. Among other things, maybe they don't include a load bearing film protector on their display.

There's been other plastic phones and screens in the past. That won't be the issue in itself.
My Nokia 5800 got a bit scuffy. Also, other plastic screens are harder and less vulnerable to damage because they don't need to be soft and flexible.

As for Huawei, we'll see how this does with debris ingress:

bcTrt3o.jpg

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Soft plastic on the outside is safer?

For the internals that have to bend 180 degrees, making that bend over a greater radius (outside fold) than a lesser radius (inside fold) intuitively seems safer. I'm not super familiar with the tech in particular here, but determining the radius at which something kinks is important when designing it to not fail in use. So, I think outside folding would be less prone to that particular failure.

Oct 26, 2017
Soft plastic screens just don't seem practical for a daily use phone. The Verge video review shows this:

HKIxacj.gif

And this was their replacement phone after the first one broke, and got those dings after a couple of days.

I can't imagine how bad a phone with the folding screen on the outside is going to look after a month.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Safer for what? Scratches? Maybe not. That doesn't seem to be the problem here though. I can post hundreds of phones and other devices with a plastic screen on the outside and they didn't face any issues other than being more prone to scratching.

This shows a key misunderstanding regarding the nature of foldable plastics. They are, by their nature, significantly softer and therefore far more susceptible to not only scratches and scuffs but also permanent dents.

For the internals that have to bend 180 degrees, making that bend over a greater radius (outside fold) than a lesser radius (inside fold) intuitively seems safer. I'm not super familiar with the tech in particular here, but determining the radius at which something kinks is important when designing it to not fail in use. So, I think outside folding would be less prone to that particular failure.

In the case of both the fold and the mate x concept the screen is bending in same manner. The only difference is the direction the screen faces when folded. Perhaps bent is better since these screens do not fold, they bend. Test both with a piece of paper.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
oh look, another person on the internet not knowing at all what that lawsuit was about

BTW: The result of that lawsuit was not that you have to write "hot" on a cup

the result of that lawsuit is that coffee has to be brewed to a temperature that will not melt the plastic lid atop the cup as McDonalds was. McDonalds was brewing their coffee to something ridiculous like 200 degrees, which is not optimal for coffee and was too hot for the cup to contain. The coffee that spilled on that lady -- because the cup literally melted in her hand -- was so hot that it fused her labia shut in her lap when she couldn't get the coffee off of her fast enough. McDonalds was brewing coffee like 60 degrees hotter than recommended. To give an example, at McDonalds temperature, skin contact with the coffee would cause 3rd degree burns within 2 seconds. At 140 degrees, the recommended brewing temperature, coffee would take nearly 30 seconds to cause 3rd degree burns.
What the fuck...

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the case of both the fold and the mate x concept the screen is bending in same manner. The only difference is the direction the screen faces when folded. Perhaps bent is better since these screens do not fold, they bend. Test both with a piece of paper.

Yes and no. Same manner, but the Samsung is like folding a paper to the point it can potentially crease (or kink)...become permanently deformed or cause damage. The Mate X bend is over a much greater radius.

Think about bending a piece of paper 180 degrees on itself then closing it in a book vs bending that piece of paper around the spine of a book. Which one is going to crease/kink/become damaged first?

Again this is just intuitively thinking about it, I'm no expert in this tech. But it seems like the Samsung use is a far worse case/requires way more durability out of what is still very novel tech.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
How would you feel about a folding phone that just had two identical screens with a well made join and the thinnest possible bezel?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This shows a key misunderstanding regarding the nature of foldable plastics. They are, by their nature, significantly softer and therefore far more susceptible to not only scratches and scuffs but also permanent dents.
Thanks, but flexible plastic covers have also been widely used in electronics, namely in devices with capacitive touchscreens. And dents sometimes happened and that, while annoying, wasn't a huge deal, as the devices stayed functional. The problem here is how it seems to affect the remaining layers in the display structure. Again, there is no reason to believe Huawei isn't actually testing its product and making sure it endures daily usage, instead of rushing it to market like Samsung apparently did.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't folding on the outside increase the radius of the bend, thereby reducing a kink failure mode possibility? Folding on the outside potentially could be safer.

The fold itself is less challenging, but it also exposes the (apparently) delicate screen itself to all kinds of other abuse.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fold itself is less challenging, but it also exposes the (apparently) delicate screen itself to all kinds of other abuse.
Also if the Mate X is anything to go by, the crease caused by stretching the plastic screen around a wide radius bend is visibly much wider than the Folds crease. It looks almost an inch wide in pictures.

It's a more uneven crease too., with bumps in random places, wider in some places and narrower in others.

I think people would much rather a crease than a bulge.