• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The placement of the fingerprint sensor next to the camera on my Galaxy S8 is a flaw.

Being able to pull an essential screen component off with ease after mistaking it for a screen protector seems like quite a bit more than just a flaw.

Where is the evidence it is removable "with ease"? I'm looking for it but I can't find a video showing it being removed.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok like it's just two phones so whatever and I don't care about Samsung but

Who the fuck is defending the plastic screen protector? "We don't know how hard they pried it off"

Reviewer gets phone

Pulls out crowbar and pliers "time to remove this plastic"

Seriously if it is really a plastic thing that isn't meant to come off it's just shitty design. I've never accidentally ripped off a smartphone screen in my life, smdh at the Samsung stans defending this

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Forget the peeling and breaking. Plastic screens suck. They scratch in no time and you can't put a screen protector on it according to Samsung.

It's a bad design regardless of this breaking issue. If foldable phones require plastic then we aren't ready for foldable phones. The end.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Forget the peeling and breaking. Plastic screens suck. They scratch in no time and you can't put a screen protector on it according to Samsung.

It's a bad design regardless of this breaking issue. If foldable phones require plastic then we aren't ready for foldable phones. The end.
Is glass even chemically capable of ever bending like that?

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
LOL this thread is 11 pages long? Why? ERA emotionally attached to random brand and product is so weird.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a dumb ideA imo. Ask yourself "Why?!?!" before making these stupid things. Just because you can doesn'T mean you have to.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We will probably never have a flexible, seamless, transparent plastic that is scratch proof and that can fold over on itself thousands of times without causing wear and tear.

This product is a concession. It's for people who are purposefully careful and wiling to take the risk. It's a cool technology, but it clearly isn't a casual mainstream product and shouldn't be sold as such. I think it would be good for businesses or events, like interactive presentations or maybe use on sidelines for sporting event strategy. But everyday consumers? No. It's not durable enough for everyday use.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Like everyone said in the presentation thread of those phones like 6 months ago, things that bend, break. It's a law of nature.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited for this phone. I'm glad I decided that waiting until at least the second generation would be the right move. It's incredible that Samsung seemingly did absolutely no stress testing or getting it in the hands of regular consumers to test failure rate by typical usage. How can so many fail in just a day?

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, people can keep repeating this as many times as they want.

It's just the pretty much all the people who arent arguing on the Internet about or are making click bait videos/articles I.E almost every tech person who are currently using the phones right now, after using it, have no problem with the concept of a plastic folding screen.

So I will personally wait to hear more from people actually using the product, rather than those who are simply responding to sensationalised news on the Internet.

Opens this thread: FOLDING PHONES DOOOOOOOMED, SUCH SHITTY PRODUCT SO BAAAAAD. SCREEN SO SHIT.

Watches any tech youtuber: *enjoying the phone and extremely excited, not complaining about the screen at all*

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We need that stuff Scotty talked about in Star Trek 4 - transparent aluminum!

That's probably the secret to flexible and durable screen tech!

Too bad it doesn't exist in real life.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Like everyone said in the presentation thread of those phones like 6 months ago, things that bend, break. It's a law of nature.

Nintendo learned this lesson years ago which is why this exists for kids:

41g-GpNW1QL.jpg

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
*Twitter person - Samsung says you shouldn't remove it
*Twitter person - I removed it
* Vyer, "maybe Samsung should tell consumers not to remove it"

???????????

I know you guys are desperate to spin this as well as you can, but this is what very prominent tech bloggers were having issues with and the whole thing was very unclear. It's incredibly dishonest to pretend anyone other than those very same people that got those review units would know more. Sorry to bust your 'gotcha' bubble, but I'm sure Samsung appreciates your hopes.

And:

Last edited:

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It it was apple it would be 400 and most would be saying there is no issue
I agree that it would be much longer if it was an Apple thread but you're insane if you think it would be mostly people dismissing it. Have you seen Apple threads here?

A sizeable proportion would just be the word 'courage'.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Creating a foldable phone took courage (TM), but I wonder if the issues were known ahead of production or if this has caught Samsung off-guard.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
You know that's bullshit, there would be quite the uproar of hate and criticism. And it would be deserved because this is a shoddy product.

It's not really a product though. IMO its a beta prototype available for purchase. It's comparable to Honda fuel cell cars and Google Gaggle. Not defending Samsung on this one, but it's not as same as Note battery malfunction.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not really a product though. IMO its a beta prototype available for purchase. It's comparable to Honda fuel cell cars and Google Gaggle. Not defending Samsung on this one, but it's not as same as Note battery malfunction.
It's a product. If it's something that is marketed and sold in stores for money, it's a product.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except for the ones ripping shit off their phone and then telling Verge their phone broke.
There are literally no tech youbers doing this.

One of them who did in the OP is Bloombergs "Apple and Devices News" guy who tried to make out his screen randomly broke and the other is Mkbhd who admitted that he broke.

And Mkbhd despite breaking his is also just on out of every tech youtuber enjoying the shit out of their time with the fold.

So like I said, I'll take the actual views of actual users of the product over a thousand hot takes and click bait videos/articles.

Those who pulled it off stated they peeled it off like a screen protector.

You'd think if it were difficult to remove, they wouldn't compare it to the ease of removing a screen protector.

They said they pulled it off because they thought it was one, not that they pulled it off like one.

Nobody compared it to the ease of pulling off a screen protector.
Nobody has commented on exactly how they did and how difficult it was.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One of them who did in the OP is Bloombergs "Apple and Devices News" guy who tried to make out his screen randomly broke and the other is Mkbhd who admitted that he broke.

And Mkbhd despite breaking his is also just on out of every tech youtuber enjoying the shit out of their time with the fold.

So like I said, I'll take the actual views of actual users of the product over a thousand hot takes and click bait videos/articles.

They said they pulled it off because they thought it was one, not that they pulled it off like one.

Man you sure are working overtime.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI

This is like people who complain about wanting their video game reviews to be objective. As if a reviewer isn't a user of a product.

And I love the scare quotes about the "Apple and devices guy". I know they put Apple in there, but Samsung do make devices.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

It made me wince like mad when he picked up tools and things with one

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
I know you guys are desperate to spin this as well as you can, but this is what very prominent tech bloggers were having issues with and the whole thing was very unclear. It's incredibly dishonest to pretend anyone other than those very same people that got those review units would know more. Sorry to bust your 'gotcha' bubble, but I'm sure Samsung appreciates your hopes.

And:

Ok, I see. I fully accept I was wrong. GG

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018

The problem is if a layer looks like screen protector, you can't tell if it's temporary or permanent until you peel off a corner of it.

This happened to me with a Sony NEX camera. It has a protection screen that's incredible hard to pull off. But it developed bubble underneath it over time and I had to pull it. I also had to put an aftermarket glass screen protector on it afterward. It's a bad design.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah definitely curious how these screens look in a month. Or a year.

I'd think the plastic screen being inside would at least help prevent some scratches.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So for TLDR of the situation.

-There is a protective plastic layer on the screen that if removed can lead to the screen malfunctioning.

-This layer resembles a pre-installed screen protector and was not clearly marked as not to be removed in reviewer kits. It was thereby removed by multiple reviewers

-In addition some reviews that didn't remove the film are also having screen issues after days of use.

Is that an accurate breakdown?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

-There is a protective plastic layer on the screen that if removed can lead to the screen malfunctioning.

-This layer resembles a pre-installed screen protector and was not clearly marked as not to be removed in reviewer kits. It was thereby removed by multiple reviewers

-In addition some reviews that didn't remove the film are also having screen issues after days of use.

I thought only 2 reviews were broken and caused by the removal of the plastic layer

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Pretty much.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I mean, people can keep repeating this as many times as they want.

It's just the pretty much all the people who arent arguing on the Internet about or are making click bait videos/articles I.E almost every tech person who are currently using the phones right now, after using it, have no problem with the concept of a plastic folding screen.

So I will personally wait to hear more from people actually using the product, rather than those who are simply responding to sensationalised news on the Internet.

Opens this thread: FOLDING PHONES DOOOOOOOMED, SUCH SHITTY PRODUCT SO BAAAAAD. SCREEN SO SHIT.

Watches any tech youtuber: *enjoying the phone and extremely excited, not complaining about the screen at all*

I have no idea what you're talking about. I do know that plastic screens suck, full stop.

The entire market moved to glass for a reason. For multiple reasons.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I can poke fun at bloggers who knew the phone screen was made out of plastic and were shocked that the screen broke after they literally deconstructed the screen because they suddenly presumed that the presence of plastic on a plastic screen that they knew was made of plastic was a choice they had, and still acknowledge that a massive, earth shattering two review units in the entire tech world have had legitimate screen issues.

Do you have a legitimate reason for why Samsung didn't put the edges of that plastic underneath the bezels?

Seems like a logical decision.