• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, its been super shitty. Ive followed since the conference, and have at this point missed out completely it appears. Sure, Id expect random "restocks", but those will be fleeting moments as well, and random too.

I get the "lol this was great, I got mine" crowd, would feel the same if I had, but have to feel for the parents looking for this. Like, ya'll didnt lose the game... you werent even in it. The "slightly more hardcore than the parents" crowd got told the party is tomorrow, and gonna show up to see the place is a mess with empty beer cans everywhere.

Grooski

Oct 28, 2017
Sony doesn't care. They know they will sell everything like hot cakes, worst thing is they say one thing and do completely the opposite. Sucks to be a customer and struggling to get a pre order in. PS4 gen Sony management is gone, this new management though ugh..
How is this Sony's fault if the retailers jumped the gun? They gave a date and Walmart broke it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Likely not many they need time to set up bots to gobble up all the preorders before general public can.

I didn't know that.

I should look into software development.. not that I would use it for evil stuff like this, but it seems cool to have your own bot army ready to move at your command.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I got preorders in at target and amazon. Best buy and Gamestop online were shit.

My local gamestop was about to close so im running over there tomorrow morning to see if I can pick one up there on launch day. I will cancel all the other orders if it works out.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im just going to wait for Sony to send me the pre-order invite they promised and hope all goes well. Probably foolish but having a video game system first thing is not as important enough or worth the headache for me these days.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on the fence about both of these, but I guess I'm getting a Series X now.

Super fun to get off of work and see this.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the checkout part for Best buy and it won't let me select a store for me to pick up for the PS5! It does the games, but not the system.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean...you could look at the dynamics of the people that really wanted it, got it. But at the same time it did give scalpers a field day which I also don't like. Previous generations have told me though don't trust these stores when it's up to the stores to preorder. very curious of how this process does work though as I never really understood how the chain of command really works when it comes to preorders.

The irony of the PS5 "exclusive" preorders coming after the general preorders was hilarious also.

But man just a mess overall though.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...you could look at the dynamics of the people that really wanted it, got it. But at the same time it did give scalpers a field day which I also don't like. Previous generations have told me though don't trust these stores when it's up to the stores to preorder. very curious of how this process does work though as I never really understood how the chain of command really works when it comes to preorders.

I really wanted it but I also have, y' know, a job, and had made specific plans too make sure I could preorder it tomorrow.

Fuck me I guess.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
What a shitshow. Partner wanted to preorder one, we both leave work at midnight ET. So we had no way to even try to.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
What a shit show. Even worse knowing these LA scalpers took so many of these pre orders.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Prettyyyyy sure you guys will have more chances. Walmart has already said they're doing more on 9/22.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
When demand significantly exceeds supply, everyone who misses out thinks they got screwed. It's impossible to prevent.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
When demand significantly exceeds supply, everyone who misses out thinks they got screwed. It's impossible to prevent.
I dunno I literally saw someone preorder 4 different preorders, I'd say that on top of scalpers sucks pretty hard to see when you can't get through. But I guess people not dropping their jobs or celebrating corporations being dicks and dropping things a day early makes them entitled or something lol

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
What bullshit, alot of people got screwed considering they signed up for notifications from retailers for pre-orders.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
So I checked after the show on Amazon.de, nothing, went to bed and now everything is sold out?!

Are you fucking kidding me.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I got preorders in at target and amazon. Best buy and Gamestop online were shit.

My local gamestop was about to close so im running over there tomorrow morning to see if I can pick one up there on launch day. I will cancel all the other orders if it works out.
I would not cancel. GameStop is notorious for not actually getting as many in as they think. There is no way they know for sure how many each store will get at this point (and there is a non-zero chance GameStop goes under before then)

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I literally saw someone preorder 4 different preorders, I'd say that on top of scalpers sucks pretty hard to see when you can't get through. But I guess people not dropping their jobs or celebrating corporations being dicks and dropping things a day early makes them entitled or something lol

If they went live tomorrow at a mid day time(say 3pm EDT), and not a single person bought more than one, and not a single scalper got their hands on any. There would still be a ton of people crying foul. Most people's definition of "were preorders done properly" is "Did I get one?"

More advance warning gives scalpers time to prepare and get their bots ready too.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
It is kind of ridiculous how every retailer in Germany went out of their way to put up pre-orders in the middle of the night. I am pretty sure not one waited until today, they just all blasted their stock out from midnight to like 1-2am.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
It is kind of ridiculous how every retailer in Germany went out of their way to put up pre-orders in the middle of the night. I am pretty sure not one waited until today, they just all blasted their stock out from midnight to like 1-2am.

its insane. 8am and nothing is left.

seriously hope MS handles this differently. I am definitely NOT staying up all night for a chance to buy a console.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Best Buy was and still at the moment a fucking nightmare, here was my post from the OT thread

I was at the "place your order" page of BB website, it say it timed out throws me back to the cart were its empty and the PS5 is not available for pre-order...

FUCK. YOU. BEST. BUY.

I was navigating that site for nearly two/three hours!!!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It was up on Amazon Australia for 2 hours ish. I was at work and luckily had a friend message me so I got an order in.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017

seriously hope MS handles this differently. I am definitely NOT staying up all night for a chance to buy a console.
I mean they already have handled it differently by saying "It's this date and it's this time". Sony just said "they'll be up tomorrow probably, good luck!", pretty shitty situation and I feel bad for people that wanted one but didn't stay up all night refreshing retailer websites.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I'm glad I got mine in but, holy shit, opening up pre-orders for something as massive as this at nearly midnight in the UK after a (relatively) niche live-stream was absolutely ridiculous. At least Amazon's opening them up at 9am but, even then, it's a workday and so many people are simply not going to have the chance at going through the rat race that is pre-ordeirng this thing.

People trying to get one from GAME after waking up tomorrow and seeing the news are just gonna be like:

3gbtr3.jpg
This is literally me, woke up at 7am and had no idea they were going up at midnight ffs

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017

Fucking bullshit.

I checked 23.45, read articles stating "start preorders tomorrow!". Went to bed after being up 20 hours. 0:01 the stores start fucking selling and *nothing* was said about a midnight launch?!

Fuck them. Fuck Sony. First PS console since PS1 that I will not get at launch. CAN'T get at launch. Just...fuck this.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was the pre-order fiasco same level on PS4? This seems insane..

No, iirc Sony said a date that pre-orders would open for PS4 (and Microsoft did the same with Xbox), it was actually honored by the retailers, and all I had to do was be one of the first customers at the store that morning. There was no line or anything and I was like preorder #2 behind one of the employees that opened shop that morning.

Disclosure: I was an employee at the GameStop I'm talking about but it was one of my days off.

We knew the whole week leading up to that day and were openly communicating it to customers too. We sold out of our preorder allotments by noon that day, but there was no rush right at open.

Tonight has been kind of a shitshow.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Amazon saved me unless they pull some shit

tenor.gif

If they do, the Sony preorder thing will do.

I honestly think WalMart pulled bullshit and jumped and everyone else bit it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It was kinda messy. I was able to secure a preorder because I expected preorders to go soon after the event, but Xbox handling of preorder is much better if you ask me.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
You guys know they do this in multiple waves until launch.... right?

They didn't sell out 6 million consoles in 30 minutes.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Well preorders open on Sept 22.

Keep an eye out on your countries Xbox Twitter account to see the exact time the preorders open.

Canada is 11am ET/ 8am PT.l for example.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
you haven't truly suffered unless you've tried to purchase sneakers :( this was pretty painless compared to trying to buy certain sneakers

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
You guys know they do this in multiple waves until launch.... right?

They didn't sell out 6 million consoles in 30 minutes.
It's apart of the hype and fear of missing out. I don't blame people for being excited and wanting to get their preorders in ASAP but there really are people genuinely over reacting to this entire situation because they missed out on Day 0 (technically, preorders were supposed to be up tomorrow not today). Reality is, if people want to know ASAP they need to follow Wario64 on Twitter and turn on his post notifications to continuously get updated as things get restocked.

Oct 14, 2019
It's apart of the hype and fear of missing out. I don't blame people for being excited and wanting to get their preorders in ASAP but there really are people genuinely over reacting to this entire situation because they missed out on Day 0 (technically, preorders were supposed to be up tomorrow not today). Reality is, if people want to know ASAP they need to follow Wario64 on Twitter and turn on his post notifications to continuously get updated as things get restocked.

Uh, no. This doesn't seem like the reality if you live somewhere other than the US. Wario64 is not tweeting out links for Europe, Asia, etc. These are also the places that are struggling.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
I expected something like this. Preorders started in the middle of the night here in Germany.

Got one on Amazon.de.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got one on Amazon and just checked my email. Got the invite to preorder from Sony too.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like bol.com here in NL started pre-orders at 8:30 in the morning. Which was not unexpected.