• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Great news!

I hope Sony expands PS Now again in a similar way; can't believe this was removed rather than expanded upon further...

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I am looking forwad to the potential here, it will be great to stream xbox games without having to buy a box.

However, I don't think Microsoft will be giving up on consoles any time soon, no way would they miss out on their share of revenue from COD, GTA and Assassins Creed.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
But will they be the Series S or Series X versions?
Series X. Those blades will go in the server next year

They are installing Series X blades, but I wouldn't be shocked if they stream next gen games in Series S mode. Would save on power and bandwidth, and demand for 4K streaming is likely much lower than phone/tablet streaming where 1080p is acceptable.

Of course Series X blades would give them flexibility to stream 4K/Series X versions of they wanted to, sounds perfect for some sort of premium tier subscription.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You get a streaming stick like an Xbox Firestick but you still get Xbox app on everything else like Prime video is.
I can use xCloud on my firestick with sideloading and connect my controller via BT. I'm not sure if there are TV's that would allow you to connect BT devices like a controller and if there are I imagine it is not many.

Wifi controller is amazing as you can easily jump from device to device without having any concern about the actual hardware or the pain in the a$$ of having to constantly pair it.

Months back I sideloaded Stadia onto the same Firestick by running it in Chrome and using the wifi controller. As an extra bonus, Android does not support rumble on the xbox controller but I used Stadia on my Firestick because the controller was connecting directly to the datacenter, rumble fully worked. I imagine it is the same for Luna

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an obvious next move for them, though surprised they'd debut something in ~12 months.

Would love to stream locally to my upstairs TV. My wife takes over the downstairs TV for the Housewives about 3x a week, and while I've used xCloud I'd much rather play it on my TV than on my phone... resolution aside.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
This is the future, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is an app. Lol. Honestly, I'm intrigued. Exciting times we're headed into.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I can use xCloud on my firestick with sideloading and connect my controller via BT. I'm not sure if there are TV's that would allow you to connect BT devices like a controller and if there are I imagine it is not many.

Wifi controller is amazing as you can easily jump from device to device without having any concern about the actual hardware or the pain in the a$$ of having to constantly pair it.

Months back I sideloaded Stadia onto the same Firestick by running it in Chrome and using the wifi controller. As an extra bonus, Android does not support rumble on the xbox controller but I used Stadia on my Firestick because the controller was connecting directly to the datacenter, rumble fully worked. I imagine it is the same for Luna
Yeah they should definitely provide the option of an xCloud controller. Wifi/Bluetooth/Xbox.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see the adoption rate of a monthly subscription game streaming service amongst, for lack of a better word, normal people. I.e. people not already invested in games. Because if you own an Xbox or PC and are interested in GamePass you're surely already in. This is trying to reach everybody else.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
It would be dope. Eventually. In theory. If it came out today I probably wouldn't download it, though, because there isn't much there for Microsoft to offer. I hope that changes in the next couple years.
After next year, when they start getting Avowed, Everwild, Fable and all the Bethesda games, that's the right time to go all in.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

I've never had a good experience game streaming on my 4k Fire Stick. So far, I've tried an early version of xcloud and Luna and the 1 thing both had in common was insane input lag. This was with an Xbox One controller connected to the fire stick through bluetooth. I'm not sure if it's the controller, the fire stick hardware, or the fire stick connecting via 5ghz wifi but it sure was an awful experience.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I love this idea because it would save me from buying a series x for gamepass. I was thinking of getting a series s instead of an x but the performance gap between the two make the s seem like a terrible value since I have a 4k oled tv. I just hope my internet connection would be good enough for it. I plan on getting a wifi 6 router this holiday season, but I dont know if that will help with that. I'm not too informed on networking tools.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
def gonna wait for xcloud to appear on TVs before i choose an upgrade path for my C7. Not expecting it to appear on older models 🙄

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I am looking forwad to the potential here, it will be great to stream xbox games without having to buy a box.

However, I don't think Microsoft will be giving up on consoles any time soon, no way would they miss out on their share of revenue from COD, GTA and Assassins Creed.
While I do agree that they won't be giving up on consoles anytime soon, I also think the step after getting Gamepass everywhere is including a store inside of Gamepass for DLC/F2P digital content to be purchased and immediately added to your streaming game.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Surprised theres so many people A-OK with laggy ass streamed games. We finally reach a generation where consoles are pushing for performance to improve responsiveness and now people are looking to get some sweet sweet latency back in their lives by using xcloud 😂

Unless these TV's let you download these games to run them natively I'll be passing on that app tbh.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a good experience game streaming on my 4k Fire Stick. So far, I've tried an early version of xcloud and Luna and the 1 thing both had in common was insane input lag. This was with an Xbox One controller connected to the fire stick through bluetooth. I'm not sure if it's the controller, the fire stick hardware, or the fire stick connecting via 5ghz wifi but it sure was an awful experience.
They were definately not perfect experiences, I just like messing around with sude loading.

While I dislike the Chromecast Ulta overall,
the experience of playing Stadia on it feels the same as a fast loading local console for me

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
It was on select Sony and Samsung TVs and Blu Ray players in addition to the Ps3 and Vita. It's not going to be on every single model because low end units have everything unnecessary stripped out to appeal to those on a budget.

platform agnosticism wasn't the issue.

The issue was there that Sony did not expand beyond Sony and select Samsung TVs AND the lack of advertisement. That is not enough to gain market share, they should have expanded to include many more OEMs, but they chose to focus on their own hardware, but they have a declining share in the TV space.

They should have expanded beyond their own hardware, Sony hardware doesn't have enough market share beyond consoles to make services exclusive to their own devices.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Anytime Phil talks game pass or xcloud, it makes me mad that Sony fumbled ps now. Ps now was on so many platforms, then they rolled it back to just pc and ps4 and now Ps5. Idk why it was taken off tvs, but Now should've been a much bigger thing. Hell, at least get the messaging right. So many people don't know you can download ps4 and ps2 games to your ps4 or Ps5 with ps now.

Anyway, glad to see Phil is making big things happen at Xbox. Their moves have been great to watch.
I wonder if ps now didn't run well on tvs so Sony pulled it back while they sorted it out. But yeah they're leaving it wide open for Microsoft.

If the streaming is included with GP ultimate is definitely use it on my bedroom TV. Just hope it runs well. Streaming on my phone is pretty poor

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
This is exactly why I don't think they put all those Bethesda games on PlayStation. You could use Xcloud on a Sony TV with a Dualsense controller. Why would they spend extra money porting those games if they are willing to have their games that readily available.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
This was inevitable- it makes too much sense.

It also makes me wonder why Sony removed PlayStation Now from Android TVs and Samsung TVs. They have given up so much ground to MS on the cloud streaming front it's embarrassing. I expect Xbox to follow through and make the app real good unlike Sony.

probably because the experience was god awful. i don't really blame sony on this one because the fault is squarely on these half-assed smart tv OSs. navigating to apps is awful. the performance of the apps (even things like netflix) is awful. trying to pair a device (aka controller) is an awful experience.

i will wish MS g'luck with this one but if the goal is to break down the barriers between consumers and their ability to play games i'm going to say buying a console is about 1000% easier then trying to get the games working from the TV directly. it's too complicated and too stupid. ...and quite frankly with xbox series s out there isn't not even much cheaper. stadia still costs $100 because you need a controller and an adapter.

supporting TVs is not really a "frictionless" way to get games to people and i don't expect it will do much for MS's gamepass subscriptions. the series s will do so much more to enticing this particular target audience.