• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'll take a stream stick for my basement TV. It's only 1080/60 but that's fine for working through backlog of indies and future ones on GP.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it comes to LG TVs, would love to be able to stream my console to my TV when I inevitably get a new OLED and move my current one to the bedroom.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Put your Samsung TV on. Go to apps, select Xbox, alot games like nextflix, hit play and you are gaming.
Ultimate idea. Having a dedicated Xbox button on a samsung remote like Netflix. :P
Without a wifi controller like Stadia or Luna, it will be a lot harder for them to implement this across multiple devices. I assume Samsung will accept Bluetooth controllers but that is unlikely for a lot of other manufacturers

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Makes so much sense. An Android TV app at the very least - presumably apps for Samsung/WebOS/Roku too if they want to reach the widest audience possible.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
just update server side stuff ,
im guessing they might update to series s instead of series x, because of costs?
but currently its horrible running on one s, limited to 720p
doesnt even look good on phone, let lone a 4k tv

No, they are upgrading the servers to Series X hardware, and it will be cheaper for them because the XSX APU can virtualize 4 One S systems in xCloud, meaning that they will have more streams available for the same long term cost

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Without a wifi controller like Stadia or Luna, it will be a lot harder for them to implement this across multiple devices. I assume Samsung will accept Bluetooth controllers but that is unlikely for a lot of other manufacturers
Those will probably get a streaming stick? Spencer already talked about that last month

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I would never play using a streaming service but this is good news, expanding the the xbox ecosystem into more jp houses will bring more more jp games.

win-win

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this comes to LG. Wonder how the controller will work, bluetooth setup?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Already have an Android phone and tablet app, not too much of a stretch that they'd expand that to Android TVs as well.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
how does xcloud work right now? is a sub required? i could maybe use this...if i dont just get a long ass hdmi 2.1 cable to connect my pc to my tv first.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
They should also let you use your phone as a controller not ideal but they can create a virtual one and are already doing so on the android app with unique touch controls etc.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
This sounds incredible. Having lived through three streaming revolutions so far (music, movies, and TV) with definitive upsides and downsides, I am a bit fearful about what gaming will become when this really starts to take off. Maybe I'm just old.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'd probably sign up for gamepass if I can just turn on my tv and play without having to buy a console. Wish all the companies, especially Nintendo, would take this approach.

Nov 9, 2017
I haven't been too impressed with streaming services, but if this works I will be fine subbing for a couple of single months for my PC or LG OLED. Screw paying 500.00 bucks for a Series X

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been too impressed with streaming services, but if this works I will be fine subbing for a couple of single months for my PC or LG OLED. Screw paying 500.00 bucks for a Series X
Currently it is the weakest service out there when compared to Stadia and GeforceNow and from what I have read Luna (not available in Canada atm). But I have to imagine once they put in the Series X tech they will have improved their streaming tech as well.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta give it to Microsoft, they're probably the most forward-thinking ones out of the console market today when it comes to the services of "the big 3."

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out xcloud a few months back and was blown away by it. I really hope they manage to get 4K streaming at some point because I'll be using it a lot.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was on select Sony and Samsung TVs and Blu Ray players in addition to the Ps3 and Vita. It's not going to be on every single model because low end units have everything unnecessary stripped out to appeal to those on a budget.

platform agnosticism wasn't the issue.

And no one even remembers what select TVs and BD players because it weren't so many. And besides their own they only got Samsung to include the feature. They haven't even released a phone app, at least for Android and allegedly they don't have any plans. So they just leave billions of devices on the table while Microsoft targeted those first.

Also, the lack of platform agnosticism shows in much better in their software support. PS Now was limited to only PS3 games at first. You are not able to stream new games now too. I understand not including the new releases in the subscription model but at least let people buy a license or rent it to stream.

At least they have now announced PS5 games but who knows how long that will take.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Stadia has become my favorite way to play games in the past year and I have been waiting for Microsoft to have a similar option available (xCloud in its current format is of zero interest to me since it's limited to mobile devices and 720p). I will be delighted if I can get a Stadia-quality experience with the Game Pass library.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I remember when there used to be PS Now apps for select TVs a few years back. Probably ahead of its time.

Oct 27, 2017
This is great because it means I don't necessarily have to spend $ on their hardware. I have a One S, but if I can just buy their latest games or sub to GP temporarily to use the app and stream it I can try that.

at a certain point if they're willing to work out a royalties deal with say Apple, Amazon, Roku, Samsung to get it on their TV streaming platforms why not PlayStation and Nintendo?

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Definitely would change the game. I wonder if this is how MS means their content will be on every platform but run best on Xbox (which would be native). They would ask Nintendo and Sony to carry their cloud service on their respective consoles like EA Play. If they say no, which is likely, thwn people can just play it on their TV through an app. Interesting. This has the potential to be highly disruptive. Also, don't sleep on Amazon. The big boys have definitley come out to play.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Smart move by MS. If Sony wasn't so stupid with keeping everything on their brand of products, they could have done this years ago.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
This sounds great in theory, but I'll hold my excitement for the official announcement as this is fairly vague. I could see it coming to Android TV via the Google Play store, Samsung TV's via their app store, and LG TV's because of that partnership for Series X.

Roku TV seems like it's hit or miss, Fire TV devices are likely a "no", and I'd have to guess that Apple TV will be the same. Two of those three (Roku and Fire TV) likely have a higher marketshare than the others, but I don't have the data on how much.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew reading the thread title, this would be a tom warren thread.

Playstation Now used to have an app in Sony and Samsung Tv's. But support for that app has been killed.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I've always felt this is the logical end point for Microsoft's modern Xbox vision. GamePass over xCloud, built into every smart TV and mobile, with subscriptions as ubiquitous to every household as Netflix or Spotify.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow, How?
I assume picking up at the same moment where you left on your console or PC, but not really applicable to xCloud as your save state for quick resume is stored on the SSD.

Stadia presently does this but the entire gaming experience is online so I imagine it is much easier.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
There would be even lesser friction for a player to switch between multiple games playing via the TV app as there won't be the need to install games first. Essentially Gamepass and chill.

Precisely. It avoids the storage part of the equation, as even more "snapshots" could be stored virtually. Think of an even smoother interface for this streaming stick where people just click like Netflix and resume their games. It's going to be that, I'm sure. Makes too much sense.

Oct 27, 2017
The 'lapsed gamer' segment is massive, I'm only 40 but with a child my gaming habits have changed massively over the last generation.

To have access to Gamepass through a TV app and a Bluetooth Xbox controller would be a no brainer for many folks.

Especially if the App is preloaded on TV sets, there is zero cost to entry effectively. A free 30 day Gamepass trial could be thrown in.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I assumed this was obvious to everyone what their strategy will be. They don't care what device you use game pass on, as long as you use gamepass.