• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
With streaming and subscription services continuing to grow, it's unrealistic and unfair to expect game developers to sit back and not want a piece of the pie, especially since their products are the backbone of these service. Folks keep talking about support the devs. Well, cutting them out of a rapidly growing market won't do them any favors.
i already bought their game, what the fuck other money do they want?

"well i mean they want to make more money" is not some kind of universal checkmate that makes all developer and publisher actions justifiable by default

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
With streaming and subscription services continuing to grow, it's unrealistic and unfair to expect game developers to sit back and not want a piece of the pie, especially since their products are the backbone of these service. Folks keep talking about support the devs. Well, cutting them out of a rapidly growing market won't do them any favors.

This. Devs and publishers just don't make enough money with the way things currently are. That's why any time I stream a game in my Steam library from my home PC to my phone, I Paypal them the same amount I initially paid for that game, essentially purchasing it again. It's only fair.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This. Devs and publishers just don't make enough money with the way things currently are. That's why any time I stream a game in my Steam library from my home PC to my phone, I Paypal them the same amount I initially paid for that game, essentially purchasing it again. It's only fair.

Yeah, it is completely idiotic the posture they're adopting, they will all fail without a doubt, hopefully sooner than later.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Arguing that you can't also play a game you bought on PC on a streaming service (which is technically still playing it on a PC), would seem like you're also making an argument against backwards compatibility. How is playing my Playstation 4 game on a PS5 any different? (Yes, it's the same platform, but its different hardware and a different generation.)

Seems similar to GeForce now letting you play the game you own on the same platform (PC), but different hardware (GeForce Now).

This just feels like the dev's are pissed they can't double dip. Not that all of them would want to, but they're losing the option to.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If I try to look at it from the publisher point of view, I can see some precedent for this kind of thing. Windows does have separate licensing for cloud-based VMs, a change they made last year seemingly in a bid to boost their own Azure cloud at the expense of other cloud providers. And various video game publishers have enforced gaming cafe licenses, even though the hardware cafes run is generally the same as what individual users buy.

Of course, the reasoning with gaming cafes is that you are effectively using one license to allow multiple people to play the same game on a timeshare basis, which is not the case here in theory. But it does illustrate that a) under certain circumstances, companies have considered VMs in cloud environments to be a different platform for licensing purposes, and b) in the video game industry specifically, there are special types of licenses for specific business uses.

Do I think this makes a whole lot of sense? Not really. But given how we've dealt with this kind of thing in the past (hello My.MP3.com) it's not wholly surprising.

Nov 20, 2019
Haha, pretty much!

3r6pqc.jpg
LoL

TE4M GREENE

Sep 23, 2019
i already bought their game, what the fuck other money do they want?

"well i mean they want to make more money" is not some kind of universal checkmate that makes all developer and publisher actions justifiable by default
We'll have to agree to disagree. Developers should push for the best possible deals than can, especially indies and smaller studios.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully behind publishers and developers on this one.

I'm a bit perplexed that so many people, especially on this forum, don't understand what's going on. Nvidia is gaining subscriptions from showing big known games titles and their logos in their Geforce Now promo materials.

Visit Geforce Now homepage right now and tell me what you see? It's games games games, your favorite big games! There's hardly a word about how it all works and what you are paying for.

Now visit Shadow website and all their marketing is focused on streaming hardware, , specs, streaming quality, etc.

Do you see the big difference in marketing and why publishers might be a bit upset about how Nvidia is handling this?

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I'm a bit perplexed that so many people, especially on this forum, don't understand what's going on. Nvidia is gaining subscriptions from showing big known games titles and their logos in their Geforce Now promo materials.

Visit Geforce Now homepage right now and tell me what you see? It's games games games, your favorite big games! There's hardly a word about how it all works and what you are paying for.

Now visit Shadow website and all their marketing is focused on streaming hardware, , specs, streaming quality, etc.

Do you see the big difference in marketing and why publishers might be a bit upset about how Nvidia is handling this?

There's merit to this - using games to market your service without the consent of the game publishers and developers is shitty, and can actively cost other marketing opportunities. It's also worth noting that there are services that ask for exclusivity - as in, "no other subscription service will feature x game." If you release it for Steam, and then NVIDIA puts it on GeForce Now, EVEN IF it requires you to own the Steam license, that's still a violation of the contract that isn't your fault.

I feel like GeForce Now needs to be a VM that can play every game, and stop using specific games to market it with, or only games they get permission to use.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Imagine if the publisher for every single app on your PC/Mac demanded individual licensing and compensation for the "right" to be used over standard remote access.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not arguing in favor of devs here. Just trying to explain what I think is going on.

I think the difference is size and scope. Nobody gives a shit if you do this on a personal or maybe even a small-business level, but if you are starting a well-known money-making business where that is its raison d'etre, devs aren't going to idly stand by while a large company makes money off their cooperation without compensating them. Regardless of whether you "own" the game or not, in the dev's mind Nvidia wouldn't have a viable product without their cooperation so why shouldn't they get some kind of cut of that fee Nvidia is charging? Due to the sticky wicket that is software licensing, they probably have the legal ability to step in and block participation so Nvidia complies and it appears that many are choosing to not participate. The ethical question of right/wrong doesn't have much bearing here. Only legality and business.

Is there a legal precedent on this that states whether Nvidia explicitly needs permission or not in this scenario? Of course, Nvidia probably doesn't want to make enemies of the game companies, so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm sure if permission is NOT needed some other companies will spring up who don't give a shit how devs feel about it.

The only reason this is becoming a thing is because the service is getting popular. Shadow does nearly the exact same thing, except it serves you a literal Windows 10 VM with limited storage so you can install *whatever* you want there (can also do whatever you want on the VM including use it for other productivity apps) and nobody has bothered them one iota. Reason? Because they aren't that big.

Exactly. Nvidia seems like a big, rich company. They should have had their ducks in a row before they launched this, or maybe they are hoping it turns into a big stink so devs relent. It will be interesting to see.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

None of what you brought up has been the main topic of contention here.

Most of this discussion has been surrounding a small indie dev pulling their game off the service. How is that small indie dev a big, known game that nVidia is using to gain subs?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
There's merit to this - using games to market your service without the consent of the game publishers and developers is shitty, and can actively cost other marketing opportunities. It's also worth noting that there are services that ask for exclusivity - as in, "no other subscription service will feature x game." If you release it for Steam, and then NVIDIA puts it on GeForce Now, EVEN IF it requires you to own the Steam license, that's still a violation of the contract that isn't your fault.

I feel like GeForce Now needs to be a VM that can play every game, and stop using specific games to market it with, or only games they get permission to use.
Who says the games that they are using to market their service aren't separate agreements?

Next up, developers getting snippy when Alienware does the same?

If Nvidia is plastering the logos of certain games without permission, that is one thing. What is happening here is something else.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017

NVIDIA GeForce NOW

Play Your Games Anywhere.

They sure seem to list every game they support in their site that's marketing to get you to subscribe.
I don't think this actually counts as marketing directly.
It's for informing the user what is available and probably is needed since you need to know what you actually get when signing up for this service.

That's probably also the reason why they put in only a search function and not a list.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

NVIDIA GeForce NOW

They sure seem to list every game they support in their site that's marketing to get you to subscribe.
I mean, compatibility lists are a thing. And the header text specifically says that it's the users' library.

Fundamentally I don't see this as much different to what Nvidia does when it highlights game specific optimisations in their graphics drivers.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Totally agreed here. I don't think there's much publishers or devs could actually legally do to prevent their games being used on GeForce Now, but Nvidia obviously want to stay in their good graces. They also obviously decided it would be easier to just remove games when issues came up than take the time seeking permission from everyone beforehand.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of what you brought up has been the main topic of contention here.

Most of this discussion has been surrounding a small indie dev pulling their game off the service. How is that small indie dev a big, known game that nVidia is using to gain subs?
Main topic of discussion is The Verge's article that is about all Geforce Now developments that happened recently. How did you figure that this thread is only about a small indie dev?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... Hopped back into that thread, and that particular dev just keeps posting about how devs have a right to choose because it's their game.

Doesn't once mention why a developer would not want the people who purchased their game to be able to play it more easily.

Completely ignores all posts telling him this is blatantly anti-consumer, and there's nothing more to it.

Completely fucked up that they're allowed to do this as well.

Like... Does this developer who has made literally a single game expect Nvidia to contact every single developer who has ever made a video game and ask them for permission to allow people who already bought their game to play it? That seems like an absolutely insane request.

NVIDIA GeForce NOW

I'm literally looking at a search bar that tells you whether or not a game is available to stream with their service, with a link to a store (Steam, Uplay, EGS, etc...) to buy the game.

That seems more like a way to inform potential subscribers about whether or not the game they want to play is available through the service before they pay for it.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used GF Now but from past threads on the topic it's just renting VMs to play games you own? Doesn't make any sense for developers or publishers to expect a cut or consent in that case. If anything, it seems like Nvidia made a mistake acquiescing to the larger publishers to avoid a fight and now have set a precedent being used against them. Or I just completely misunderstand the service

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
the subscription price of GeForce now is covering the hardware and software costs of streaming - the platform. It has nothing to do with games. I honestly don't get publishers and developers opposition to this, it's effectively another platform for people to play their purchased games. Smart devs and pubs would want their shit on there.

If nVidia is renting out virtual machines, they should advertise their service as such and not as a game streaming service. ;)

I suppose this may be the core of it, there needs to be more clarity to the consumer (and apparently publishers/developers) about what GeForce Now is and isn't. It's not Stadia/PS Now/Gamepass.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I've never used GF Now but from past threads on the topic it's just renting VMs to play games you own? Doesn't make any sense for developers or publishers to expect a cut or consent in that case. If anything, it seems like Nvidia made a mistake acquiescing to the larger publishers to avoid a fight and now have set a precedent being used against them. Or I just completely misunderstand the service
You're correct.

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
If Google Stadia wasn't a thing I doubt this would be an issue. But because Google Stadia requires the user to pay for a subscription and then BUY a game directly through their service developers and publishers are going to start wanting the same thing with other similar services. Pure greed.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Stealing my post from the other thread:

I really wish the headline of [the similar Waypoint article] wasn't worded this way. I haven't seen a single thing that points to the paying customers of A Long Dark not being able to use the license of their game on a remote computer. There is not 3rd party EULA on the Steam page. The headline of the article should be: "Developers upset they didn't force more draconian EULA on customers to extract more money from them", or "Capitalist upset they missed potential extraction of surplus value"

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Weird. I can stream my owned Steam and PS4 games for free. The only thing Nvidia is doing is providing the server, which they should be paid for. Devs want a cut but are not the ones providing support if the streaming does not work.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
What completely pisses me off with all of this are the developers and journalists completely ignoring the existence of services that have been doing this shit for years now (Shadow etc.). It just shows the hypocrisy of developers, because I haven't seen a single one complain about the competing services, just Geforce Now because "it's Nvidia and they're a huge company". Either pull your game from all similar services or stop preaching "this is for the good of game developers!". Yeah right.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
If Google Stadia wasn't a thing I doubt this would be an issue. But because Google Stadia requires the user to pay for a subscription and then BUY a game directly through their service developers and publishers are going to start wanting the same thing with other similar services. Pure greed.
I can understand it for Stadia since, as far as I know, the developers actually have to create a dedicated Stadia client to make it work with the platform.
In GFN's case, it's just using the Steam (or other shop's) version, so no extra work on the developer's side is needed.

I never really considered Stadia due to the weird pricing scheme (subscription + buying the game). I guess that's the case for most people seeing that Stadia is not really taking off.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, streaming future just got a lot worse all of a sudden.

Prepared for countless platforms because everyone want a big piece of the cake.

And this is exactly why it will be a massive turn off to me. Being able to play the games I already bought via streaming sounded like a fantastic idea.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Staria doesn't require a sub. You can buy a game there and play it as much as you want with no sub. The sub is optional and just gets you free games like PS+ and 4K streaming.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
the subscription price of GeForce now is covering the hardware and software costs of streaming - the platform. It has nothing to do with games. I honestly don't get publishers and developers opposition to this, it's effectively another platform for people to play their purchased games. Smart devs and pubs would want their shit on there.

Absolutely, because of comments like this and many more outside of Era:

Id love to be able to buy some games on steam and then rent a virtual machine to play via my notebook. Well, shame on the devs, more money for me.
I was thinking of buying certain games if they were available on GFN. But I guess that's probably not going to happen.
It's bullshit. There have been many, many stories on this forum and beyond, including myself, where people have been purchasing games they otherwise wouldn't have been able to play because of the convenience of GFN. It being through a Steam license is an advantage because once I do upgrade to better hardware, I won't lose any progress and will be more likely to continue purchasing and playing these games.

I really enjoyed DOOM 2016 on the platform and with Bethesda pulling their game from the service I don't have a suitable piece of hardware to play my Steam copy on. I'm genuinely bummed out by it. If the intention of these companies and devs is their own separate streaming services / exclusivity deals then I'm just not going to use those, I'd rather stream the games I already have without needing more hardware.
I personally have purchased 3 games with ray tracing support, because now I can take advantage of that feature on Geforce Now. These are games that I wouldn't have purchased right now. I honestly cannot see how the developers that are doing this can win the popular opinion on this. There is no way most gamers would agree with a developer stopping you from rending a PC to play the games you have already purchased.
This thinking by devs/publishers doesn't make much sense to me. They are basically just causing themselves to miss out on potential customers. I understand I am in a minority situation, but I travel full-time for work and want to have more options on games to play in the evening while at a Hotel or Air BnB (only so many Switch games scratch my itch). I subscribed to GeForce Now last month and have been enjoying playing some of my previously purchased Steam and Uplay games. I even bought Assassins Creed Origins two week on Uplay so I could play it via GeForce Now. Like I don't even own a gaming PC anymore so literally bought the game just to play via GeForce Now.

The Long Dark dev's statement makes no sense. He is absolutely correct, he does have the right to control where is game exists (e.g. it's for sale on Steam). But if I decide to buy a copy on Steam it shouldn't matter whether or not I play that copy I bought locally on my PC (If I still had one) or on a VM in the cloud. In what way does GeForce Now compatibility negatively effect his bottom line?
I really hope Nvidia and the game devs can get this sorted out. I specifically bought a copy of Lego - Jurassic World on Steam this weekend so that I could play it with my 5 year old boy (who loves dinosaurs) on my old crappy laptop through Geforce Now and we had a lot of fun playing it together. I never would have purchased the game otherwise, so there's definitely an argument to be made I think for devs allowing access of their games through Geforce Now, and seeing increased sales numbers of their games as a result.
So if I want to buy a game but can't because I have a bad PC.. this allows me to purchase that game and play with GeForce Now.

I don't see the downside for devs here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Staria doesn't require a sub. You can buy a game there and play it as much as you want with no sub. The sub is optional and just gets you free games like PS+ and 4K streaming.
That's misleading. Stadia free doesn't even exist right now according to their website.

NjojbqT.png

Also, still requires people to re-buy games they've already bought.

I'm of the opinion that GeForce is a platform/service because they're charging money for it.
Because it's not free for them to offer this service???

A developer makes a video game. They release it on the platforms of their choice. Consumers buy the game on one of those platforms. Why does the dev then get to arbitrarily decide which device that consumer gets to play the game on so long as that device supports that platform?

Are we now buying a new copy of every game just because we upgraded our motherboard or because we want to play on another computer?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Nvidia already have something like this? In fact, Onlive had something like this in the form of Onlive Desktop.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Stealing my post from the other thread:
Well said.

It's baffling to see some people here defend the devs from the perspective that Nvidia indirectly makes money off their games, so they have the right to prohibit users from choosing their way of playing their purchased games on their legal platform of choice. It's such a backwards mentality.

Jun 1, 2018
Its not like stadia where the people can play games .. you already paid and OWN the games... its like renting an aws server or shadow and playing your own games on a different machine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's misleading. Stadia free doesn't even exist right now according to their website.

NjojbqT.png

It exists in the same way that Pro does currently. You can't get into either tier without buying a 'Premier Edition' at the moment. That gives you three months of Pro. But once that runs out (or if you cancel like I did) then you can totally use the free tier. They both exist. But neither of them are open to the general public yet.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Why let your customers enjoy your product when you could be reaching into their pockets again for the privilege of doing that?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you want to stop me from playing games I bought from you using an additional method, that won't really inspire me to buy your next game.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Nvidia (and everyone who is taking their side on this) is being extremely naive here.
If GeForce Now was 'just providing a VM' there wouldn't really be an issue. But they aren't. They are providing a specifically crafted service that delivers pre-installed and pre-configured games to customers. Its not like this is a base Windows 10 VM that you can do whatever you want with (like other cloud services). Its dedicated towards delivering games and nothing else - other peoples games to be more precise, other peoples games they sometimes didn't get permission for in some cases, clearly.
And that's the rub. Without those Other Peoples Games, the service is nothing. The service they are charging money for.

Nvidia thought they could build a business of delivering Other Peoples Games, but thought they could short-cut their way to a large games catalogue by piggybacking other existing services and avoiding all that tedious business with ironing out contracts and, y'know, asking permission.

Of course there will still be people that try to play dumb and say "What, so now Dell need to get permission from every game dev in case someone plays their game on one of their laptops?", and we all get to roll our eyes and sigh and try to explain how its not the same thing, even though its a waste of time.

TL:DR
Nvidia tried to take a shortcut and thought everyone would be cool with it, but they weren't.
When your entire business relies on someones else's work, always at least ask permission.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Not really, you first pick a game and then sign into Steam and select a game there. I know it's being pendatic, but it is not the same because the way it is now, Nvidia is using specific games to entice you to use their service. If it was just a virtual desktop in which you could start up Steam and select your games, I don't think the devs could do anything.

Forgive me if it's been said already, but you can do exactly that. You don't have to launch a game directly.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia (and everyone who is taking their side on this) is being extremely naive here.
If GeForce Now was 'just providing a VM' there wouldn't really be an issue. But they aren't. They are providing a specifically crafted service that delivers pre-installed and pre-configured games to customers. Its not like this is a base Windows 10 VM that you can do whatever you want with (like other cloud services). Its dedicated towards delivering games and nothing else - other peoples games to be more precise, other peoples games they sometimes didn't get permission for in some cases, clearly.
And that's the rub. Without those Other Peoples Games, the service is nothing. The service they are charging money for.

Nvidia thought they could build a business of delivering Other Peoples Games, but thought they could short-cut their way to a large games catalogue by piggybacking other existing services and avoiding all that tedious business with ironing out contracts and, y'know, asking permission.

Of course there will still be people that try to play dumb and say "What, so now Dell need to get permission from every game dev in case someone plays their game on one of their laptops?", and we all get to roll our eyes and sigh and try to explain how its not the same thing, even though its a waste of time.

TL:DR
Nvidia tried to take a shortcut and thought everyone would be cool with it, but they weren't.
When your entire business relies on someones else's work, always at least ask permission.
Not many people are trying to argue that Nvidia would win in court. Most people are either arguing that the devs are scummy or that the current laws surrounding something like this are dumb as fuck.

Would you prefer it if the client allowed you to search for a game, and every time you found a game you wanted to play, the service would show you the game downloading and installing before launching it? And every time a game closes, the client then uninstalls the game?

Man, this GPU I bought purely for playing the games other devs have made sure is scummy. What the fuck are Nvidia and AMD thinking creating and selling hardware in order to play products that they took no part in creating? Fuck them.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
This paragraph is a great, simple explanation of something that is quite a complex situation.

For game developers and publishers, a digital game is not the same as a physical good you can do what you want with, including resell it. A digital game is a license to use a virtual good in a way stipulated by licensing agreements, both from the maker of the game and from the marketplace that sells it, in this case Steam. (This, of course, is ignoring the fact that physical games also have these license agreements so you can't, say, burn one to a Blu-ray and sell it on eBay. You can, however, sell a physical game back to GameStop and that is legal.)

A license to play a game does not mean another company can redistribute it, even if you personally bought the license. That's what happening with GeForce Now, and it's important to understand that. Nvidia isn't just renting you a virtual machine. It's renting you a virtual machine and then redistributing a video game sold by Steam under agreements that do not include Nvidia, at least not yet. It is not just a hardware rental service, and pretending it is one is disingenuous.

I'd love for the writer to explain how they are so certain it would be considered redistributing under current law.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
pure greed, Nvidia is just renting the PC hardware and easier interface for the user, the rest is basically the same, dev gets paid the same way as any PC copy, the player ends up playing in the same way, there is no loss for the devs.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this. It's not like people are playing the games for free or even using a subscription based system to play the games. You literally own the game and using a hardware farm with VMs to run your purchased games.

What the fuck are devs and publishers complaining about?

That is almost as stupid as trying to ban me from playing my STEAM games in my upstairs den because I purchased them using the computer in my office.