• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, but does that mean streaming your games requires permission?

Does Steam or PS4 remote play work like that?
I have no idea about PC side but on PS Now the titles are hand picked, which means they probably have a deal beforehand. Remote Play is just mirroring the screen from your PS4, not the exact game itself.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with people that will continue to argue with this guy. But take note how he hasn't said anything new in like several post.

Just stating "He just feels like it's a new way" and variations of that. To me that just seems pretty clearly troll. *shrug*

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I think it is brand new because there's potential for more money to be made after the game is sold, and none of it seems to go to the devs/pubs.

Are the devs/pubs going to be hosting the servers that are running all these virtual machines?

They haven't put forth the capital to build up an infrastructure to do what nVidia is doing so why do you think they are entitled to the money nVidia is?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to stream your own purchases. Developers aren't entitled to a second payday because you want to stream the game you already paid for, to your phone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's a really good article that does a great job of explaining the complexities of the situation on both sides. A real great read.

Jun 13, 2018
yeah. he's just wrong. it's not a new license, it's the same license. you can only access it once at a time. if it's from a local computer or a computer over the internet makes no difference.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I just found out about GeForce Now today. I'm a Mac user and I do not own a PC. I've been itching to play Disco Elysium since it came out. I signed up for GFN, bought Disco, and started playing with the macOS client. That's a sale they would have never had if not for this service.

I can't believe a Dev lost some money because of you ;)

I understand that they want their part, that's because this services mean nothing without games.
But it's just because it's a services. when i buy PC part they don't get anything either.
That's greed.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
What's next, dev's demanding a cut when I buy a new videocard so I can run their games at higher settings, resulting in me getting a "new experience"?

I have no idea about PC side but on PS Now the titles are hand picked, which means they probably have a deal beforehand. Remote Play is just mirroring the screen from your PS4, not the exact game itself.

And Geforce Now is mirroring a screen from rented Nvidia hardware running your owned Steam games from your own Steam account.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is brand new because there's potential for more money to be made after the game is sold, and none of it seems to go to the devs/pubs.
Why should it go to the devs? It's not their work. They already got your money. I'm going to assume you are just being ignorant at this point.

The main perk of pc gaming is your library is basically eternal, you buy a new pc your library moves with you. This service is you "buying' a new pc and playing the games you own and onlythe games you own

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Of course publishers and developers would like to make more money. It's bullshit, interesting to see if there will be court cases in the future.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Did Nvidia show a screenshot of Long Dark on any GFN marketing material? Please link it.

Even if they did, I'd consider that a big plus. Imagine complaining because your game was featured on Apple's front page without your permission, the horror. How could you ever deal with all the extra income from additional visibility and sales, better pull off their platform ASAP.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no nVidia or ATI might make money by someone buying new GPU to better play a game they already own. They didn't ask permission for the game to run on it, I demand they don't let it unless they pay me.

Really it's not any different than that. I'm just renting the GPU rather than buying it.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Even if they did, I'd consider that a big plus. Imagine complaining because your game was featured on Apple's front page without your permission, the horror.

Right? As a small, indie dev you'd probably think you'd have to pay for something like that. To have it happen for free would just be wonderful.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GeForce now is just mirroring the screen from a PC I rented, not the exact game itself.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This paragraph is a great, simple explanation of something that is quite a complex situation.

For game developers and publishers, a digital game is not the same as a physical good you can do what you want with, including resell it. A digital game is a license to use a virtual good in a way stipulated by licensing agreements, both from the maker of the game and from the marketplace that sells it, in this case Steam. (This, of course, is ignoring the fact that physical games also have these license agreements so you can't, say, burn one to a Blu-ray and sell it on eBay. You can, however, sell a physical game back to GameStop and that is legal.)

A license to play a game does not mean another company can redistribute it, even if you personally bought the license. That's what happening with GeForce Now, and it's important to understand that. Nvidia isn't just renting you a virtual machine. It's renting you a virtual machine and then redistributing a video game sold by Steam under agreements that do not include Nvidia, at least not yet. It is not just a hardware rental service, and pretending it is one is disingenuous.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Sure just basically means eat shit for buying digital. The upset is basically we're already aware of not having a lot of the same rights over what we purchased at the same price like trading in. This is just a push from certain devs towards removing another.
And to the consumer it's not complex at all it's clear cut shitty ass greediness. Which should make it fair game to push against and not give those devs any business.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sorry I couldn't put my feelings this elegantly, I'm trying to work and my notifications are insane lol

[QUOTE
For game developers and publishers, a digital game is not the same as a physical good you can do what you want with, including resell it. A digital game is a license to use a virtual good in a way stipulated by licensing agreements, both from the maker of the game and from the marketplace that sells it, in this case Steam. (This, of course, is ignoring the fact that physical games also have these license agreements so you can't, say, burn one to a Blu-ray and sell it on eBay. You can, however, sell a physical game back to GameStop and that is legal.)

A license to play a game does not mean another company can redistribute it, even if you personally bought the license. That's what happening with GeForce Now, and it's important to understand that. Nvidia isn't just renting you a virtual machine. It's renting you a virtual machine and then redistributing a video game sold by Steam under agreements that do not include Nvidia, at least not yet. It is not just a hardware rental service, and pretending it is one is disingenuous.
][/QUOTE]

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
GeForce now is just mirroring the screen from a PC I rented, not the exact game itself.
So via GFN can I just start using Office/etc. and my PC as it was there locally? I am asking genuine question here.

Honestly I think this situation is weird since you technically bought the game anyway so I am not sure why devs are bothered that you are streaming it instead of playing locally. It's not another copy.

Jan 2, 2020
I have no faith that this issue will be resolved in favor of the customers.
The best i can hope for is that more and more people ask if a game is available on GFN before buying, incentivizing the publishers to put it there.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry I couldn't put my feelings this elegantly, I'm trying to work and my notifications are insane lol

[QUOTE

]

you are under fire Pyro ;)

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This paragraph is a great, simple explanation of something that is quite a complex situation.

Except I disagree with it. They are not distributing a video game. I am loading my own video game from my own steam account. How are they distributing it? Like what is the actual difference between these situations:

a) I borrowed my friends laptop for a week and logged into my steam account and playing my own games on this laptop
b) I borrowed Nvidia's pc. Logged into my steam account and play my own games on this PC.

Can somebody actually without jokes, dismissive comments, comprehensively explain to me what is the difference between thsoe two situations. Which parts of the arrangement mean that My friend is NOT distributing a video game I'm playing to me, but Nvidia does? I am 100% serious, cuz it feels that difference is purely being petty about particular words Nvidia is using.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

[QUOTE

]

Inaccurate statements such as this are still not elegant.

Except I disagree with it. They are not distributing a video game. I am loading my own video game from my own steam account. How are they distributing it? Like what is the actual difference between these situations:

a) I borrowed my friends laptop for a week and logged into my steam account and playing my own games on this laptop
b) I borrowed Nvidia's pc. Logged into my steam account and play my own games on this PC.

Can somebody actually without jokes, dismissive comments, comprehensively explain to me what is the difference between thsoe two situations. Which parts of the arrangement mean that My friend is NOT distributing a video game I'm playing to me, but Nvidia does? I am 100% serious, cuz it feels that difference is purely being petty about particular words Nvidia is using.

The only difference is greedy devs doing whatever they can to fuck digital owners.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
you are under fire Pyro ;)

lF9hu4.gif

Seriously lol

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well either developers can work with nvidia who wants to work with them or they are gonna end up seeing some other company that doesn't give a damn what they think come in and offer the same service as nvidia.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

[QUOTE

]

Except none of the arguments you have tried to make in this thread have been anything close to the argument that is being made in the quote.

Also, I think the claim that GFN is "redistributing" is tenuous at best. They are in fact just letting you run your steam license on their hardware. It is renting a virtual machine and letting you run your steam key. Not redistributing someone else's license to you, but your own that you bought and paid for.

No steam key, no streaming. Seems pretty cut and dry. Where is the redistributing?

Dario

Oct 27, 2017

"It's renting you a virtual machine and then redistributing a video game sold by Steam under agreements that do not include Nvidia, at least not yet. It is not just a hardware rental service, and pretending it is one is disingenuous."
Citation needed? As far as I know the only doubt in the other thread regarding this situation was if the installation files themselves were cached on Nvidia's end, but anything that doesn't use their SDK needs to be downloaded. The only stuff allowed to be redistributed are the games that use the SDK (for skipping installation times), which implies the developer had to do work to support it.

Dec 31, 2017
Nvidia is putting the cash for the service to even happen, and gamers have to buy the game on steam anyway for it to be available, so devs are getting their money either way. I don't u sweat and why it's a problem. I feel like devs are being super greedy here.

Pyro

Jul 30, 2018
United States
Except none of the arguments you have tried to make in this thread have been anything close to the argument that is being made in the quote.

Also, I think the claim that GFN is "redistributing" is tenuous at best. They are in fact just letting you run your steam license on their hardware. It is renting a virtual machine and letting you run your steam key. Not redistributing someone else's license to you, but your own that you bought and paid for.

No steam key, no streaming. Seems pretty cut and dry. Where is the redistributing?

In the streaming of that game.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Capatilsm shocker. Imagine not seeing the bigger picture where people buy more games as they now some don't have to worry about upgrading their PC to play your games.
Sorry I couldn't put my feelings this elegantly, I'm trying to work and my notifications are insane lol]
You were told why you were wrong with sound explanations and then doubled down.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The publishers have given vague statements, leading many to surmise that it may be due to the lack of a revenue split or the fact that big game publishers would rather charge customers a second time for a separate license to play a game on a cloud gaming service, regardless of how it's structured.

So is there actually no revenue split even though it's a paid service? Or just assumptions? My gut reaction is to say I bought the game already, so let me play it how I want, even if that means via Nvidia's paid streaming service. It's not like I'm paying Nvidia *to* play the game in the first place. That being said, if a dev doesn't want their game available on that service, that's OK too IMO. It's their game.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
So via GFN can I just start using Office/etc. and my PC as it was there locally? I am asking genuine question here.

Honestly I think this situation is weird since you technically bought the game anyway so I am not sure why devs are bothered that you are streaming it instead of playing locally. It's not another copy.

I don't believe you can via GFN because it is specifically targeting the gaming audience, but theoretically they could open such aspects up. They just know it isn't what their audience is after, so they are streamlining their overhead.

I believe other services (that are also primarily used for gaming) do let you run whatever you want.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
The only difference is greedy devs doing whatever they can to fuck digital owners.

I am looking for proper explanations from people that represent the opposite view on this from you and me, not validation. So, I would appreciate a proper explanation. That quote from article explained jack shit. It just stated these things as a fact without any actual evidence suppoting them.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I shoulda put "gaining" in scare quotes because even though it's your Steam license, this is a different avenue of accessing it and I feel like it's practically a brand new way to play them.
But it really isn't. I can already today play my Steam Library remotely with Steam Link. Essentially streaming it to my TV, or to my smartphone sitting on a 4G network.