• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Its order claims Nvidia misled investors by reporting a huge boost in revenue related to "gaming," hiding how much its success relied on the far more volatile crypto market. Nvidia isn't admitting to wrongdoing as part of the settlement, but it agrees to stop any unlawful failures to disclose information.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
What is Nvidia going to do if Crypto dies and the market gets flooded with videocards?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Misleading your investors needs to carry a much MUCH larger fine that this... wtf?

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Isn't that too low??

Anyway not surprised looking at the history of this company.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Fines should really be equivalent or more to what was gained by the fraud.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I get they'd have sold for a higher premium but they'd have sold the cards anyway. Just put your ASP up if you're that desperate.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If they knew they were getting hit by a 5.5M fine... they would've been like yeah totally worth it, we'll do it again. lol

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
lmao
$5.5M? That's it?

Nvidia:
VAcLIpg.png

Crazy that this is for the 2017 surge. This took so long to adjudicate.
I do suppose they were way more open about how much business they were doing with the crypto space the second time around.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
just to note for those who didn't click through, this is for the 2017 crypto-boom, so 10xx series cards, not 30xx

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
How would they know that a sold GPU went to a Crypto Miner instead of a Gamer though?

Gwendly_

May 27, 2020
Fines should be tied to the companies coffers, this is like getting fined a penny for speeding ; whoopty doo.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Five whole millions? I dont think Nvidia is surviving such a terrible blow. They'll probably die of laughter

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
5.5 million?

LMAO Jensen won't even need to think about which CC to put this on.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If i've done some quick math correctly, that's 0.02% of their revenue last year (which was up 61% from last year, therefore it's also some shockingly small percentage of their *increase* in revenue).

Even the investors being defrauded have to be pissed at this, but I guess not even they have enough money to affect our system in that way.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would they know that a sold GPU went to a Crypto Miner instead of a Gamer though?
I think that's why the fine is so low. there's no tracking in these gpus and discerning gamers from a miner is impossible as a lot of gamers mine on the side.

this always felt like investors complaining that Nvidia didn't charge more, rather than being misled

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What is Nvidia going to do if Crypto dies and the market gets flooded with videocards?
They'll release drivers to fuck up performance of older video cards in newer games to coincide with new card launches. They could also release some new feature like PhysX or RTX that will require new hardware and pay publishers to implement them in their PC releases and have all the marketing feature it to incentivize people.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
"Now introducing the GTX 1,000,000 a GPU thousands of times more powerful than our last card available for $1 Million."

"Limited edition, only 6 will be made."

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the complaint, I guess. Why do investors care whether the cards are sold to miners or gamers? And how is Nvidia supposed to track that?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the complaint, I guess. Why do investors care whether the cards are sold to miners or gamers? And how is Nvidia supposed to track that?
Nvidia were selling directly to miners in the height of the mining boom. Also, not appropriately informing investors of that fact can lead to lawsuits such as this one.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

I would guess because video cards sold for gaming is considered a stable market while crypto is seen as a boom-bust market.

If someone wants to invest in nvidia because they are seeing stable market growth due to the amount of customers who use their cards for a long term (and repeatable business) case, that speaks to a healthy market. Crypto boom and then flooding the market with 2nd hard cards might be seen as riskier. IE- the theory that crypto "growth" doesn't equal actual overall customer growth for 4000/5000/6000 series cards because it's more unstable and/or the GPUs might not even be usable for mining at all at that point (it might go back to custom ASICs).

But i don't actually know anything. That's just how i interpret it.

eDIT - and now that i've read the article, it's exactly what my guess was.

Oct 25, 2017

If it wasn't a big deal, then Nvidia wouldn't have had to lie about it. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that cards were going to miners is immaterial, the point is that it should be up to investors to decide how they feel about it.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
How is this even news... Crypto boom from 2017. What year is it

I guess the news would be more interesting if this was about the current crypto boom. And a much bigger fine.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
My guess is they were hiding it bc back in 2017 when this was going on Nvidia most likely was concerned about a crypto crash and mining drying up. The future of your company seems more promising if growth is coming from an established industry with long legs and steady growth like the gaming market then from highly a speculative new industry.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Biosnake I'm going to assume you didn't make the OP and thread title with a severe lack of details to be intentionally inflammatory and misleading. I updated the thread title with something you should have had there from the jump.

It's because of this:

Given the boom-and-bust nature of cryptocurrency, this meant Nvidia's sales numbers didn't necessarily indicate reliable future growth, making investing in it riskier. "NVIDIA's analysts and investors were interested in understanding the extent to which the company's Gaming revenue was impacted by crypto mining and routinely asked senior management about the extent to which increases in gaming revenue during this time frame were driven by crypto mining," the SEC alleges.

Despite this, Nvidia didn't mention mining-related sales as a factor in its gaming division's success. Meanwhile, it mentioned crypto as an important factor in other markets, which suggested to the SEC that it was being deliberately deceptive. And investors' anxieties turned out to be well-founded. A crypto crash in late 2018 (along with a weakening Chinese market) led it to slash its quarterly earnings projections by $500 million and spurred a shareholder lawsuit.
Investors were pumping money into Nvidia because they were thinking the Pascal gaming GPUs were lighting up the Steam charts. When Crypto hit a snag Nvidia dropped projections by 500 MILLION, which shouldn't have happened when they were reporting all of the sales as "gaming" related.

Thus the lawsuits and the SEC investigation.

My guess is they were hiding it bc back in 2017 when this was going on Nvidia most likely was concerned about a crypto crash and mining drying up. The future of your company seems more promising if growth is coming from an established industry with long legs and steady growth like the gaming market then from highly a speculative new industry.
Exactly.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Good news! Hope this makes Nvidia allocate more GPUs to consumers and not miners.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yea as someone that owns a few nvidia stocks this one has me steamed. Knew it was bullshit just from ya know reading the filings they gave years ago and seeing what consumers were saying about how crypto is sucking all the air out of the room. Gaming causing the growth my ass

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I think it's about transparency. It's important so they can deliberate what this could mean(if anything) going foward.