• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish there was an easy way to never see a single pinterest link in google search results... It used to be possible to exclude sites in your account (I happily used it back in the day to remove the expert sex change links) but that ability has been removed some years ago so I don't think there's an easy way short of excluding them explicitly in the search string.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Them locking almost everything behind a log in definitely inflated the value something fierce. Billions of that value is because of the mass if user data they have.

It's a shrewd move inserting themselves in google image searches, though yeah it get stired fast trying to get a good image without hitting that pininterest wall.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Them locking almost everything behind a log in definitely inflated the value something fierce. Billions of that value is because of the mass if user data they have.

It's a shrewd move inserting themselves in google image searches, though yeah it get stired fast trying to get a good image without hitting that pininterest wall.
I hate how the internet is becoming these signed in experiences.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, that site that requires a log in. What a insane valuation but hey, Nadella seems to be doing okay all things considered but I still don't get purchases like TikTok or Piinterest for Microsoft and at such high prices, I'm not CEO or whatever though.

Is Microsoft basically trying to get into data profiling/ads now like Google and Facebook or is it something else?

I wonder if they'll ever kill Skype.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget Salesforce a few years back. Was rumored MS offered something in the $50B range but Salesforce wanted $60B.

Wow. They've been dodging bullets but it seems they're set on making a bad big investment.
I don't know but (linkedn aside) MS doesn't strike me as a smart company when it comes to making the right investments.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember they were going to buy Yahoo for 40 billion or something under Ballmer. Dodging bullets left and right.

Oct 25, 2017
Pinterest is the best. I mainly use it for recipes (if not using Youtube and cookbooks) also interior decor ideas, kitchen gadgets and other useful household things. Ya'll need to stop hating lol

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Wow. They've been dodging bullets but it seems they're set on making a bad big investment.
I don't know but (linkedn aside) MS doesn't strike me as a smart company when it comes to making the right investments.
Nokia was awful but I think they hit big most everywhere else like minecraft, github and zenimax among others as you say linkedin.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
So around last year I seriously thought Pinterest was the most useless website on the planet and basically a glorified image glossary.

Fast forward to today and I can't really imagine my life without it - I would even go as far as to say I have a Pinterest addiction problem and I can't stop myself from going on hours long scrolling sessions on Pinterest. I especially love going from one idea then gradually making my way to completely unrelated things.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So around last year I seriously thought Pinterest was the most useless website on the planet and basically a glorified image glossary.

Fast forward to today and I can't really imagine my life without it - I would even go as far as to say I have a Pinterest addiction problem and I can't stop myself from going on hours long scrolling sessions on Pinterest. I especially love going from one idea then gradually making my way to completely unrelated things.
What is a specific topic that got you into it? Cooking?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I freakin love Pinterest. I'm always looking for cool new woodworking ideas and it's great for that. I don't really experience the search engine issues people here have issues with.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's disappointing to see such a valuable resource trashed. You've got to come from a really limited, uninformed, or selfish standpoint to claim that the whole site is useless and it should just die.
Or people are rightfully annoyed that a single site floods Image Search and requires them to alter their searching habits, which is something that influences far more people far more often.

I've read Google will alter the algorithm to diminish Pinterest's overbearing presence on GIS and I can only applaud that. It's a genuine usability problem if you don't want a Pinterest account.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I freakin love Pinterest. I'm always looking for cool new woodworking ideas and it's great for that. I don't really experience the search engine issues people here have issues with.

Same.

And I'm not doubting that some people have issues with their Google image search, I'm just wondering what it looks like, because my top image results are rarely ever Pinterest.

(I'm remember this being a BIG problem with Tumblr back in the day, though...)

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Huh? Salesforce makes tens of billions per year in revenue and is growing at a fast pace.

TikTok and Pinterest I don't quite understand in terms of why they're worth so much.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's disappointing to see such a valuable resource trashed. You've got to come from a really limited, uninformed, or selfish standpoint to claim that the whole site is useless and it should just die.
Yep. A social media has had a positive impact on many people's lives during the pandemic and actually has a good track record of combating misinformation on its platform but nah let's just fucking erase it.

Should people on Gaming side go into threads and demand that the MOBA genre should be erased because they find it annoying?

Also can we stop consolidating all social media under conglomerates like Microsoft? Pinterest has been digging into Facebook's ad monopoly since last summer's Stop Hate for Profit but yeah let's just give that all to another big tech giant.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, how much money does this company actually make?

1.6b in revenue in 2020, up 48%, so pretty good growth in revenue:

finance.yahoo.com

Pinterest Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results

Pinterest, Inc. (NYSE: PINS) today announced financial results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2020.

They still lose money in profit (~$200m) but in a year where they added users (37%) and have over 450m WW users and, reportedly, 100m active monthly users, that's expected. They're still in "growth phase," the stage where tech companies basically spend all of their earned revenue on growing the company, and then borrow/raise additional funding to continue to growing aggressive.

I fucking hate pinterest because it doesn't appeal to me as a product and I hate how it infiltrates google search results, but they probably have a pretty good monetization strategy because they have a really strong audience around food, fashion, home, weddings, and other niche audiences that they can monetize.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
You'd think Pinterest murdered puppies for sport based on some of the (hilariously selfish and uninformed) replies in here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. A social media has had a positive impact on many people's lives during the pandemic and actually has a good track record of combating misinformation on its platform but nah let's just fucking erase it.

Should people on Gaming side go into threads and demand that the MOBA genre should be erased because they find it annoying?

Also can we stop consolidating all social media under conglomerates like Microsoft? Pinterest has been digging into Facebook's ad monopoly since last summer's Stop Hate for Profit but yeah let's just give that all to another big tech giant.
It's not that people want it to go away, it's that they want it to offer some of the same basic features that similar sites have and to lower the barrier of entry for new users or unregistered users. If it didn't actively make it hard for some users to search for and use images people wouldn't dislike it.

To use the moba analogy, it's like asking a moba to offer better tutorials and options shorter matches and saying that you have no interest in playing it until they address those things. At least with a game you like you have to option to not use it, while some content on Pinterest can be very hard to find elsewhere

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017

If you don't have an account on the site, your only interaction with it is probably; searching for something on google images, clicking an image link, and getting redirected to a site where you have to make an account to see what you searched for. This is a an extremely annoying thing to happen and, is what cultivating the negative reaction to the site.

The analogy here is not MOBAs but, PhotoBucket. For alot of people, their only interaction with site is seeing their ad, instead of whatever image was meant to be linked on a forum, when they broke third-party hosting a few years ago. Which generate alot of deserved ire from people at large.

If Pintrest was deprioritized in google search results and/or had some way for people who don't yet have an account to have a positive interaction, they'd get a lot less hate.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what's the link between Pinterest and Azure? They'd force Pinterest to switch clouds and then use them as an example in Azure ads or something? Seems like an expensive ad campaign.

No, they'd use it to convince others to use Azure. It won't be an AD campaign. Most of those sites use AWS because Azure wasn't up to speed many years ago and use AWS by default.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I never understood Pinterest. Can't believe it is valued at 51 freaking billion dollar

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, what's the link between Pinterest and Azure? They'd force Pinterest to switch clouds and then use them as an example in Azure ads or something? Seems like an expensive ad campaign.
It's not an ad. It's about scaling. Pinterest's hosting would move to Azure so it would lower costs on that end, and Azure would be more used and have a greater, more steady stream of profit.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that people want it to go away, it's that they want it to offer some of the same basic features that similar sites have and to lower the barrier of entry for new users or unregistered users. If it didn't actively make it hard for some users to search for and use images people wouldn't dislike it.

To use the moba analogy, it's like asking a moba to offer better tutorials and options shorter matches and saying that you have no interest in playing it until they address those things. At least with a game you like you have to option to not use it, while some content on Pinterest can be very hard to find elsewhere
If you don't have an account on the site, your only interaction with it is probably; searching for something on google images, clicking an image link, and getting redirected to a site where you have to make an account to see what you searched for. This is a an extremely annoying thing to happen and, is what cultivating the negative reaction to the site.

The analogy here is not MOBAs but, PhotoBucket. For alot of people, their only interaction with site is seeing their ad, instead of whatever image was meant to be linked on a forum, when they broke third-party hosting a few years ago. Which generate alot of deserved ire from people at large.

If Pintrest was deprioritized in google search results and/or had some way for people who don't yet have an account to have a positive interaction, they'd get a lot less hate.
These are very good, actionable methods of criticism. I agree, I've had issues in Google Images with it as well. That situation's just lessened after actually making an account during the pandemic.

It's just the drive by "it should go away forever" that I hate to see.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
More used... by what is now a subsidiary, not an actual client.
Which doesn't matter if you want to drive up scale. The 'cloud' still has physical servers, infrastructure, buildings, employees. High up front investments until you reach a tipping point in customers and usage at which profit margins rise significantly.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea Pinterest was valued that much.

I love Pinterest. It helped me a lot with exercise routines, diets, remodeling my place, hairstyles, etc. I use Pinterest over Google image more often.