• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
It limped pass Super Nintendo a while back (a shy over 49 million) if the NPD threads are anything to go by.

Quite likely 51 million in all, and a 40% decline overall compared to the Xbox 360 (approximately 84-85 million).
51M is a number that was cited in the QG article, and given that Xbox executives were interviewed for the article, it's likely the official number provided by MS.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

How Xbox outgrew the console: inside Phil Spencer’s multi-billion dollar gamble

Phil Spencer saved Xbox. Now he wants to reinvent gaming. Ahead of Xbox’s 20th anniversary, we sat down with him and Microsoft’s gaming A-Team to discuss their wildly ambitious future including Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Halo Infinite, The Elder Scrolls VI exclusivity and more

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
For all the pre-launch talk, it's funny to think that Microsoft could be ending their cross-gen period before Sony.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
100% of Xbox games I play, I play through GamePass, and I still would never buy a disc drive-less Xbox.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
51M is a number that was cited in the QG article, and given that Xbox executives were interviewed for the article, it's likely the official number provided by MS.

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

Phil Spencer saved Xbox. Now he wants to reinvent gaming. Ahead of Xbox’s 20th anniversary, we sat down with him and Microsoft’s gaming A-Team to discuss their wildly ambitious future including Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Halo Infinite, The Elder Scrolls VI exclusivity and more
Maybe. I've never seen Zhuge's numbers disputed as he seems a pretty reputable source himself.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Makes tons of sense.

They were still manufacturing Xbox One S but it's RRP was exactly the same as the Series S.

You'd have been mad to buy a One S over a Series S unless you were really married to the idea of discs, to the point that you'd play nine year old hardware (that was kinda disappointing power-wise nine years ago) over a next gen console for the same money.

Seems like they've got their Series S supply in hand. No need to have the Xbox One out there still.

And the amount of people that married to disks probably are so few that they either already have one or can easily get one that is still available.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Nice response to Sony
Does this really need to become console warrior fodder immediately? Both companies are doing the right things here. There's no Series S model of PS5 so the PS4 makes perfect sense. There is a Series S Xbox at a good price point so discontinuing Xbox One hardware also makes sense.

I would have maybe a slight worry about next gen titles being held back but from what I've seen so far this generation it is not a real issue.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Does this really need to become console warrior fodder immediately? Both companies are doing the right things here. There's no Series S model of PS5 so the PS4 makes perfect sense. There is a Series S Xbox at a good price point so discontinuing Xbox One hardware also makes sense.

I would have maybe a slight worry about next gen titles being held back but from what I've seen so far this generation it is not a real issue.
It's even silly as console war fodder.

Company X: "we're making more previous-gen hardware"
Company Y: "we stopped making any previous-gen hardware"

Random posters: "Amazing strategic response to Company X on the part of company Y!"

Ok...how?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Sony "We believe in generations" are keeping PS4 going for longer cause of the chip shortage. Not to say which approach will turn out to be the better one I just think it's very funny at how the tables have turned.
Sony supporting the manufacture of its consoles for longer than Microsoft, does not exactly turn any tables.
PlayStation has cross-gen games in 2022 that were planned for release in 2021. That's about as complicated as it gets.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It's even silly as console war fodder.

Company Y: "we stopped making any previous-gen hardware"

Random posters: "Amazing strategic response to Company X on the part of company Y!"

Ok...how?

It's even worse then that, since this only came out because they were directly asked, instead of being something they decided to announce:

Reporter: "hey company Y, are YOU still making previous gen consoles?"
Company Y: "we stopped making any previous-gen hardware *over a year ago*"

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Makes sense. The One wasn't the market leader and having the Series S gives them a low cost option anyhow.
It has nothing to do with market leadership. It has to do with supply focus and logistics. You bet your ass Sony would cut PS4 production if there were enough PS5s to meet demand. They are doing a smart thing from a business standpoint and nothing more.

Oct 29, 2017
It's even worse then that, since this only came out because they were directly asked, instead of being something they decided to announce:

Reporter: "hey company Y, are YOU still making previous gen consoles?"
Company Y: "we stopped making any previous-gen hardware *over a year ago*"

That's some console war 5D chess right there, making their move a year before a journalist even asked the question. Phil is savage.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with market leadership. It has to do with supply focus and logistics. You bet your ass Sony would cut PS4 production if there were enough PS5s to meet demand. They are doing a smart thing from a business standpoint and nothing more.
Literally this.

Sony making more PS4s is an attempt to get any new mainstream players/keep existing ones in the PS ecosystem because they simply can't make enough PS5s to get them that way.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It is a reponse to Tom who presumably got in touch asking about the status of Xbox One consoles after the PS4 news yesterday so they could write a follow-up article.

"To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020," says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.
what PS4 news yesterday?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If anything consoles do break and if you can't get a PS5 and there is no new PS4s on the shelves you run the risk of a lifelong Playstation fan picking up the Series S on a whim and never coming back.

So yeah. They gotta have SOMETHING to sell.

Xbox doesn't have that problem because the Series S is available and much easier to produce. If you're buying for a broken Xbox One from 2013, you have a $300 box on stores shelves for them rn.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
what PS4 news yesterday?

www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

Sony Group Corp. will continue producing PlayStation 4 consoles throughout 2022 as it navigates disruptions to the global supply chain that have limited output of its pricier PlayStation 5.

Sony are continuing to make PS4s this year for retail. They are continuing to have no real retail presence for the PS5 because they're all instantly gone so makes sense to have something on shelves at stores.

So Tom asked Xbox if they were still manufacturing Xbox One's and they confirmed that they stopped about a year ago. Presumably less of a need for them because Series S supply is alright.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Meanwhile Sony "We believe in generations" are keeping PS4 going for longer cause of the chip shortage. Not to say which approach will turn out to be the better one I just think it's very funny at how the tables have turned.
I don't get this, the ps4 was never going to be discontinued immediately after the ps5 came out.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. I wonder what the final sale count is? 50-60M?
W/o Covid I think Xbox and PS4 could've done even better.

PS4 for sure would have crossed 120M without Covid and parts shortage. Xbox one 60M for sure maybe more.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
www.bloomberg.com

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

Sony Group Corp. will continue producing PlayStation 4 consoles throughout 2022 as it navigates disruptions to the global supply chain that have limited output of its pricier PlayStation 5.

Sony are continuing to make PS4s this year for retail. They are continuing to have no real retail presence for the PS5 because they're all instantly gone so makes sense to have something on shelves at stores.

So Tom asked Xbox if they were still manufacturing Xbox One's and they confirmed that they stopped about a year ago. Presumably, less of a need for them because Series S supply is alright.
Thanks..... missed that.

Makes sense. I wonder what the final sale count is? 50-60M?
W/o Covid I think Xbox and PS4 could've done even better.

PS4 for sure would have crossed 120M without Covid and parts shortage. Xbox one 60M for sure maybe more.
From what I understood, thanks to Covid they actually did do better.

It's the current-gen consoles that got wrecked.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Apparently it was.

"While Sony never officially announced when it would stop making the PS4, it had previously planned to discontinue assembly at the end of 2021, they said, asking not to be named as the plans are not public."
That would be a complete departure from pretty much every system they have released before and frankly make no sense unless it somehow impacted their ability to make ps5s.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That would be a complete departure from pretty much every system they have released before and frankly make no sense unless it somehow impacted their ability to make ps5s.

You're definitely right. It's kinda surprising.

Although it does match what Jim Ryan had said about wanting to transition PS4 players to PS5 "at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before".

"These are gamers who are networked and sticky and engaged and passionate about PlayStation to an extent that we've not seen in previous generations," he said. "As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks–probably our main task–is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before."

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The ability to reduce the price of the PS4 was constrained. MSRP today for PS4 Slim is 299, PS4 Pro at 349 and PS5D at 399 isnt a great spread.

Maybe if they could have gotten PS4 Slim down to 199 or 249 for a profit maybe, but otherwise pre-Covid I could expect them to think keeping the lines running was an excessive cost.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

www.gq-magazine.co.uk

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks..... missed that.

From what I understood, thanks to Covid they actually did do better.

It's the current-gen consoles that got wrecked.
Well yeah but PS4 stock for example was zero during March - Late summer 2020 when TLOU2 and GoT came out. If they had been able to make more I imagine they could've sold at least 2-5M more than they did during that window. But who knows

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate them cutting it loose sooner rather than later and the Series S is a great way to speed up the transition to next gen for folks who don't care about the highest end performance.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
So Microsoft ended all Xbox One production in 2020 and Sony's plan was to end all ps4 production in 2021?

Makes sense.

Old consoles have basically no legs anymore now that everyone is on iterative hardware and full BC.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Well yeah but PS4 stock for example was zero during March - Late summer 2020 when TLOU2 and GoT came out. If they had been able to make more I imagine they could've sold at least 2-5M more than they did during that window. But who knows
Yh you are right...forgot how bad the PS4 stock situation was then. Could only recall software sales being up.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
As I'm sure others have pointed out this makes sense considering they have the Series S. Without the Series S I suspect they would've kept the Xbox One going for a bit longer but maybe not? Essentially, MS kind of still has a foot in last gen. Sort of.

What's interesting is I think before MS eventually drops the current Series S we could see them drop the current Series X in favor of some revised models. I could see them eventually selling alongside the current Series S a, let's call it, Series S+ model that's essentially just a slimmed down version of the current Series X minus a disc drive and a Series X+ that's a spec bumped Series X.

I saw an analyst say recently that we're not seeing a Switch 2 equivalent until 2024 which feels on the money to me. Also, I think that year will be a big hardware refresh year for all three platform holders, not just Nintendo. Supply chain issues SHOULD be greatly improved by then and the Series S|X and PS5 will have been available for some time by then so I think 2024 makes sense. Also, I think Sony will use that opportunity to pivot to a more MS-like approach replacing the current PS5's with a even cheaper digital only PS5 Slim and a premium PS5 Pro which will lack any digital only option.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Let's not forget profitability per console has heavy impact on this, it's not just about pushing forward next gen like everyone seems to say. You can assume the One S wasn't really that attractive to a consumer - especially with the Series S available, and the OneX likely isn't very profitable, and trying to lower the cost to make it make sense wouldn't have worked. I assume the regular PS4 is in a different position of having decent demand and being profitable per unit.