• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered an LG V60. It should be arriving today. I am stoked for it.

I'll be sad if they do exit. I actually like that they don't retain value, I'm getting a 10 month old flagship level phone for a bit over $400, that still has a headphone jack.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Them backing out before Sony is shocking. Additionally, it's pretty crazy how China has fully taken over the smartphone gig now.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
As much as I appreciate what LG brought to the market, a lot of their devices were plagued with quality control issues. The Velvet and Wing were interesting, though, and I'd still be sad to see them go. And, yeah, Sony outlasting them in the smartphone space would be surprising, to say the least.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't even know they were still making phones. LG as a mobile brand has probably been deader than Elvis around here since the days of flip phones 20+ years ago.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The LG G2 was what got me to stick with Android. Every phone I got afterwards were Samsungs, but nevertheless lol

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
My G2 was a good phone when it worked but gave me huge screen problems. Upgraded to a 6s and still use that today

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Aren't they only ones still doing removable batteries?

I had a LG 5-6 years ago. It was was pretty good. It took great night pictures.

Dec 4, 2017
Them backing out before Sony is shocking. Additionally, it's pretty crazy how China has fully taken over the smartphone gig now.
I think the boss of Sony mentioned that they will keep a toehold in the industry.

My suspicion was that the people at Sony always banked on a couple of direct competitors bowing out, so they remain the other non-Samsung, non-Chinese player on the Android market.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically just going to be Samsung and Apple left, with some obscure Chinese brands on the low end. I think part of this issue is that phones have become very boring, and other than tiny changes there isn't a lot to get people to upgrade of switch brands.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Sony should have left the market well before LG does.

I agree, I don't even know what their plan with their phone division is, and they don't either.

As for LG, I can see it happening. They never got over the bootloop issues and it severely hurt their brand.

I work at a T-Mobile and the LG phones we sell the most of are the Aristo 5, Stylo 6 and K51, aka, their budget phones.

We sell considerably more Samsung and OnePlus phones at my store.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
My LG G4 died from the boot loop, then it was stolen, then the replacement died. I won't mourn them.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Daaaamn. Just got an LG phone and I'm loving it. It's got everything I wanted. A headphone jack!

masud

Oct 31, 2017
This sucks I've been on the G series since the G3 and was planning on sticking with them.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Lg leaving would suck, I really like their hardware and would 100% switch to them if they could just get their update issue sorted out. I really want a headphone jack but I also really want timely updates and longer support.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest flaw of LG was their piss-poor update policies. They just needed to address that one thing to get enthusiasts and reviewers to recommend them to the mainstream. And yet, up until the end they refused, which is why enthusiasts and reviewers actively recommended mainstream audiences not to get LG flagships. I loved my v20 for a time, but swore to never get another LG phone as time went on but expected updates came a year after its peers.

Less competition is always terrible, and they are one of the few holdouts of the headphone jack. But if this comes to pass they only have themselves to blame.

LG barely even counts as competition right now.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree, I don't even know what their plan with their phone division is, and they don't either.

As for LG, I can see it happening. They never got over the bootloop issues and it severely hurt their brand.

I work at a T-Mobile and the LG phones we sell the most of are the Aristo 5, Stylo 6 and K51, aka, their budget phones.

We sell considerably more Samsung and OnePlus phones at my store.
Sony seems to have found a small niche market for a more professional filming. They also said they continue because there is a possibility of a disruption that might open up the market to them. If the likes of LG, HTC, Google, Motorola, etc. leave the market and Chinese manufacturers get sanctioned, they are well positioned to ramp-up. In 2013-2015 period Sony actually came close to ending Samsung-Apple duopoly, they just scored some own goals just as their smartphone market was taking off. I believe Sony is the only non-Chinese manufacturer that has a slight chance of competing with Apple and Samsung.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
My LG G3 is still the best phone I've ever owned and will probably always be my favourite.

Everything about it was just classy and cutting edge.

A shame the motherboard failed in it, I'd have kept it for much longer otherwise.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
The G2 was amazing, took great pictures. The G4 was value for the money until the reboot issue happened. They tried to innovate but nothing really stuck with the mass market.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Had a G3, then a G4 with the bootloop issue. Purchased a Galaxy S7 after that and never looked back. LG phones will be missed by a few people, but the masses won't even notice their withdrawal from the phone market.

Jan 31, 2018
I had an LG smartphone (G3 I believe) not too long ago. It mostly sucked. By the end, the battery was messing everything up causing random shutdowns and ultimately, a full system reset causing me to lose everything. Good riddance.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I've been with Samsung since the Epic 4G.. and still have my S8+...

The LG Wing phone was finally the one that had me ready to switch up (I think it has the best dual screen setup)... but I wanted to see their 2021 version of it with a newer processor.

So when they didn't hint at anything at CES last week, I felt something was up. But I just figured they wanted the spot light kept on last years version.

I do hope Samsung or someone else releases a LG Wing type design.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
That would be sad to see.
But they are always way in back compared to Samsung in marketshare in their home country and abroad and with brands like Huawei, Oppo, Xaomi, etc. getting more and more marketshare. May be best to focus on their tv business and other more profitable ones.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
I've had a LG G4 and a Stylo 5+ so far.

Saw the WING in the store the other day...eww. I mean it's really just not needed. Razr flip and the like are all anyone really needs in the novelty range.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
LGis done, Sony will be next.
Sony seems to have found a small niche market for a more professional filming. They also said they continue because there is a possibility of a disruption that might open up the market to them. If the likes of LG, HTC, Google, Motorola, etc. leave the market and Chinese manufacturers get sanctioned, they are well positioned to ramp-up. In 2013-2015 period Sony actually came close to ending Samsung-Apple duopoly, they just scored some own goals just as their smartphone market was taking off. I believe Sony is the only non-Chinese manufacturer that has a slight chance of competing with Apple and Samsung.
Except Sony's marketing and decision making for their Xperia is a nail to their own coffin. They almost have no marketshare in the mobile market.

Their latest phone xperia 1 II despite being one of the best smartphones of 2020 is hindered by their incompetent marketing team. Took months for it to be released, high price tag, doesn't collaborate with a lot of carriers to sell the phone with a contract and their continous dumb naming for the xperia line which still confuses people to this point of day.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
I just ordered an LG V60. It should be arriving today. I am stoked for it.

I'll be sad if they do exit. I actually like that they don't retain value, I'm getting a 10 month old flagship level phone for a bit over $400, that still has a headphone jack.

Good to hear! I'm still using their 2017 model V30 and I still love it for its rich features and unique functionality. I was able to buy one for $140 18 months after it was released, since like you say, few people are paying attention to this brand. I'm not interested in getting a new phone yet, but I'll be checking out the LG v60 and seeing how the other phones hold up.

DreamRunner

Banned
Sep 14, 2020
I had no idea they still made phones.I don't think I've seen anyone own an LG phone for the past 13 years.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I've had 4 smartphones in my life.

My first one was a G2 from 2014, it was an incredible phone. It's deteriorating, but STILL works to this day, and is even reasonably fast.
My second one was the Nexus 6P. Great phone, absolutely HORRIBLE build quality. Its battery loop issue meant I had to spend a year with a phone that held a charge for about an hour at a time. I carried a portable charger around all day.
My third one was a G6, thinking I would finally get a reliable phone again, having had a good experience with the G2. It sadly also fell apart quickly, with the battery eventually nearly exploding (it was bloating). Replaced it after 2 years.
I went with a Samsung S10 this time, and after having used it for a year... it's still like it's brand new, performs incredibly well, and is all around the best phone I've ever used.

LG just seems to have gone downhill after the G2, slowly but steadily. When looking for a new phone last, I was barely even seeing their phones as an option anyone was recommending.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
LGis done, Sony will be next.

Except Sony's marketing and decision making for their Xperia is a nail to their own coffin. They almost have no marketshare in the mobile market.

Their latest phone xperia 1 II despite being one of the best smartphones of 2020 is hindered by their incompetent marketing team. Took months for it to be released, high price tag, doesn't collaborate with a lot of carriers to sell the phone with a contract and their continous dumb naming for the xperia line which still confuses people to this point of day.

Yeah... there's no way Sony phones are around much longer either. No idea what the other poster is talking about tbh. They have like 0.001% marketshare.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I had an LG G3, G4, and V30. The V60 was overpriced for what it was. I ended up getting the Samsung S20 FE. I can't believe how much better the screen is than the V30. The camera is decent and the 3x optical zoom is dope. The Super zoom isn't bad either.

I gave the V30 to my daughter and she loves it, so not bad.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My only LG phone was the LG G3. I bought it solely for the hype surrounding the first QHD screen in a phone, and it was...fine. The screen was actually pretty low quality in every other metric aside from resolution, and it liked to heat up constantly. But it was a nice little phone while I had it.

That said, my favorite phone ever was the Nexus 5, which was manufactured by LG.

I think LG really missed the mark by:
- Focusing on the high end, but also trying to one up Samsung by using gimmicks instead of better design or software
- Horrible software aesthetics. Really should have just used stock (or near stock) Android. Their skin STILL looks like Galaxy S3-era Touchwiz.
- Price, price, price. Most flagship LG phones were priced similarly or nearly identical to Samsung's, despite almost always having worse design and cameras.
- Of the major smartphone manufacturers, no one was worse at updates than LG. No long term support, and you would get updates months after even Samsung phones.

They really needed to cut back on the gimmicks and just create a solid phone with enough smart cuts that it could significantly undercut Samsung in price.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They made some boneheaded decisions over the years, from the ThinQ branding to using a lower end processors on their newer phones, to the f*cking Wing. Their phones always gets good word of mouth from everyone who uses them, but nothing that puts them over the top.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
A history of super late Android Updates and buggy devices always kept me away. I liked that they were trying new things with the LG Wing and optional second screens for their devices, but again given their track record of updates I don't see either getting much support. That said, with HTC and LG gone it's up to Sony to carry the torch of giving a shit about audio quality on android devices. Maybe I should just get a dedicated music player.

Deleted member 26398

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah... there's no way Sony phones are around much longer either. No idea what the other poster is talking about tbh. They have like 0.001% marketshare.
They are not in it for the market share as Sony CEO said previously. They are keeping the division in order to maintain their engineering and know-how at a top level, so, when the next big trend emerges, they would be able to jump on it immediately.