• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Inflammatory generalizations and antagonizing other members.
I'm starting to think that the China defense force here are actually CCP agents. Like how could you possibly defend Huawei?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can put up the spectre of someone suing someone else for anything, but pasting an article with attribution on a discussion forum is like one of the quintessential understandings of 'fair use' in United States copyright law. Like, that's one of the primary things that copyright law mentions in regard to fair use: discussing news.

You have a pretty broad interpretation of copyright. What would prevent Vox from suing Resetera for any thread that contains any content originally written on Vox? Like, 2 paragraphs is "okay" but ... 3 or 4 paragraphs isn't...? Or, two paragraphs and a summary of the article is okay, but 3 paragraphs and no summary is suddenly copyright infringement?

Copying and pasting text from a website onto another website with a link to the original source for the point of discussing news has nothing to do with not being allowed to post scans. Scanning magazines and reproducing them in full is distributing copyrighted material. Copying text from a news article to discuss it is not. It's basically the definition of fair use.

So, yes, I will happily front the money for that defense when ... Vox sues ResetEra for ... KSweely posting their article and link. Because your interpretation of what copyright protect and doesn't is completely wrong.

It's always been my understanding as a person who lives in the U.S that a U.S. based discussion forum, which I believe ERA is a U.S. based forum, is covered under U.S. fair use laws and I've always been under the assumption that fair use allows for quoting of online news articles with the link to the news article with the intent of discussing said article.

Now that the site moderation here on ERA has problems with full quoting of news articles, I'll not do that anymore and only post small parts of the article.

Nov 9, 2017
So how does the CCP slow down the internet speeds for Huawei phone users who don't have a sufficient social credit score? Also can't China just rip off Google's software and make their own version of Google for Huawei users?

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
So how does the CCP slow down the internet speeds for Huawei phone users who don't have a sufficient social credit score? Also can't China just rip off Google's software and make their own version of Google for Huawei users?
Google has a monopoly. And Trump is using this against Huawei. And with that, he is also pressuring his allies further to abandon Huawei.
It is basically a powerplay of the USA on the world. It is crazy how America is making China (who has a bad government) look good.
They could have used their power so much greater. But as seen here the Americans are 100% for Trump's tactics.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, tell me what Huawei has specifically done? That defending them is so crazy.
Part of what made the attack on Asus so dangerous was that rogue agents compromised the delivery point of their software rather than leveraging potential vulnerabilities in their software. Similarly due to the inherent relationship between China and Huawei in what is a autocratic dictatorship governed by a president-for-life, is that the country has the ability to distribute compromised software as they choose to either network//telecommunications hardware or phones via OTA updates.

If a country is a single-party dictatorship with a president for life, the threat isn't in existing backdoors in the software, it's that the company that makes the hardware and distributes software to that hardware itself can distribute whatever software that company and the party so chooses.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Part of what made the attack on Asus so dangerous was that rogue agents compromised the delivery point of their software rather than leveraging potential vulnerabilities in their software. Similarly due to the inherent relationship between China and Huawei in what is a autocratic dictatorship governed by a president-for-life, is that the country has the ability to distribute compromised software as they choose to either network//telecommunications hardware or phones via OTA updates.
So they have done nothing wrong? And they are punished for something they haven't done but that they could potentially do?
So in your view, Europe should ban Google and other companies from The USA?

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
In the short term this could and will be bad for Huawei.

But this could also be a possibility for China to push for a rival to Google. In 5 or 10 years from now, we could look at things differently ...

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they have done nothing wrong? And they are punished for something they haven't done but that they could potentially do?
So in your view, Europe should ban Google and other companies from The USA?
I think a legitimate argument can be made for the EU to use EU equipment only for critical telecommunications infrastructure over American, and American over the Chinese. Only one of these countries is a single-party dictatorship run by a self-anointed president for life. As for whether they've done anything wrong yet, yes, they have to Nortel. The rest is left to the intelligence communities and that's not likely to be published to the public because that's what fucking intelligence is about.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
CNN and the verge are saying it's bad for Hwawei, what would you expect western media to say? The truth?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Are they based in a single-party state run by a dictator for life?

Not really, but they do like to both side a issue, and if a white person or rich person commit a crime compared to any other race, they are mentally unstable, or lone wolf, and that Israel is the good guy, and anyone saying anything bad is being anti-semetic.
But that doesn't seem to be malicious, but more for profit then the truth.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I think a legitimate argument can be made for the EU to use EU equipment only for critical telecommunications infrastructure over American, and American over the Chinese. Only one of these countries is a single-party dictatorship run by a self-anointed president for life.
So we all need to separate? No partnership anymore (every country for itself or in this case America First, and use your monopoly to silence another company). And why does it matter how China is run?
Yes, China has a horrible government. But that isn't the premise of this action and it won't help the situation, probably the opposite.
So how can you punish someone for something they haven't done? Not because you have the potential of wrongdoing that you should be punished. Otherwise, we would be all in jail.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we all need to separate? No partnership anymore (every country for itself or in this case America First, and use your monopoly to silence another company). And why does it matter how China is run?
Yes, China has a horrible government. But that isn't the premise of this action and it won't help the situation, probably the opposite.
So how can you punish someone for something they haven't done? Not because you have the potential of wrongdoing that you should be punished. Otherwise, we would be all in jail.
Because a company based in a single party state run by a dictator that already has a bad history- i.e. Nortel is not one that can or does deserve a modicum of trust.
Not really, but they do like to both side a issue, and if a white person or rich person commit a crime compared to any other race, they are mentally unstable, or lone wolf, and that Israel is the good guy, and anyone saying anything bad is being anti-semetic.
But that doesn't seem to be malicious, but more for profit then the truth.

You've already repeatedly questioned the value of democracy elsewhere, but despite that your post isn't really relevant to my response in that both a VOX and CNN publication are inherently more trustworthy than one based in a single-party state run by a dictator.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Because a company based in a single party state run by a dictator that already has a bad history- i.e. Nortel is not one that can or does deserve a modicum of trust.
First thanks for the discussion. Ok, no problem. So they don't deserve trust. So they can't get a second chance. But what is the foul that they have done now?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First thanks for the discussion. Ok, no problem. So they don't deserve trust. So they can't get a second chance. But what is the foul that they have done now?
They've already engaged in bad faith with Nortel, they don't get to come back from that, especially not when they're a part of a single-party state run by a dictator.

I know I keep repeating it, but it's an obvious and important point.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
They've already engaged in bad faith with Nortel, they don't get to come back from that, especially not when they're a part of a single-party state run by a dictator.
Ah ok, that was the first strike. Why didn't they get banned then? Or is it just coincidence that it happens with this Trade war?
Also why not keep them on a short leash and tell them that as soon that they behave badly again that they are out?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope their laptops remain widely available. The Matebook X Pro is amazing, and I was planning on getting one later this summer.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
So you don't support Trump in this action? And you agree that there are other and better ways? Or do you like this bullying tactic when you are not on the receiving end?
Huawei's issues predate the current idiot of a president. A lot of things need cracking down on, including Huawei. Trump will face his own, separate consequences eventually.

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, that was the first strike. Why didn't they get banned then? Or is it just coincidence that it happens with this Trade war?
Also why not keep them on a short leash and tell them that as soon that they behave badly again that they are out?
The TPP was action as a pacific trade bloc that would have excluded them. The intelligence community didn't like them before the trade war let alone after.

Jesus, a short leash? Or just avoid the problem entirely and don't let an arm of a single-party dictatorship build critical telecommunications infrastructure at all.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's had their entire adult life of data stolen by China, including fingerprints, I'd rather not give China an unfettered pathway into US telecommunications

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Bad press more than anything is bad for Huawei, consumers will be scared of buying one of their phones.

Just to clarify Huawei is not losing Android, but google services on future models. (there is actually a gap of about 100-200 days from US to formalize this ban, we haven't heard China's official response to this yet)

As for the software, yes there will be an impact, and we've seen a similar example with Meizu already.

Meizu is a very good smartphone manufacturer, but when it comes to software it was the only chinese company (among the big ones) who wasn't happy with Google's policies and they decided to go alone with their services (and Alibaba in China). They still managed to get a decent market share in markets like Russia and eastern Europe but never been able to grow as their other chinese competitors because of the lack of Google Services.

I'm very curious in this case cause Huawei is a far bigger company than Meizu, they've been working on proprietary services for a while now, they knew about the upcoming ban, and i'm also expecting a big response from China which threatened repercussions on US & Canada just few months ago.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
The TPP was action as a pacific trade bloc that would have excluded them. The intelligence community didn't like them before the trade war let alone after.

Jesus, a short leash? Or just avoid the problem entirely and don't let an arm of a single-party dictatorship build critical telecommunications infrastructure at all.
So you want to block everything from China? Unless it isn't technology or if they change their ways. Why does America (not only them of course) always rely on them then? Or are they only helpful for cheap labor? Isn't it better to set certain criteria that a company has to fulfill to join the market? Wouldn't that be much fairer?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They should be able to. Don't companies have to give over their source code to the Chinese government if they want to do business there? Serious question.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
You can put up the spectre of someone suing someone else for anything, but pasting an article with attribution on a discussion forum is like one of the quintessential understandings of 'fair use' in United States copyright law. Like, that's one of the primary things that copyright law mentions in regard to fair use: discussing news.

You have a pretty broad interpretation of copyright. What would prevent Vox from suing Resetera for any thread that contains any content originally written on Vox? Like, 2 paragraphs is "okay" but ... 3 or 4 paragraphs isn't...? Or, two paragraphs and a summary of the article is okay, but 3 paragraphs and no summary is suddenly copyright infringement? Is 1 sentence copyright infringement, but 2 sentences isn't?

Copying and pasting text from a website onto another website with a link to the original source for the point of discussing news has nothing to do with not being allowed to post scans. Scanning magazines and reproducing them in full is distributing copyrighted material. Copying text from a news article to discuss it is not. It's basically the definition of fair use.

So, yes, I will happily front the money for that defense when ... Vox sues ResetEra for ... KSweely posting their article and link. Because your interpretation of what copyright protects and doesn't is completely wrong.

Just to be clear, that wasn't KSweely asking, it was me. I was wondering what the motivation is for warning someone over postijng ~4 paragraphs of something, versus 2, and what that rationale comes from. I've heard competing opinions: One that it's copyright infringement from the person above, which seems to be a very generous interpretation of copyright, one that it helps Vox generate ad revenue.

I hardly ever create any threads and when I do, I put a lot of work into synthesizing multiple sources and writing my own content, but I was curious about it the rationale. For what it's worth, we don't really have a thread for discussing that sort of forum etiquette... And this one seems like an old fashioned one to me.
the motivation is common sense and common courtesy. It's not really hard to wrap your head around. Resetera is a for profit forum that sells ads and fully copying someone else's work to it isn't covered under fair use and I doubt they are willing to go through the legal hassle you think they should to do that.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'm no agent, I just like good phones.
Not overpriced crap.
Have you ever thought why huwai phones are cheaper and yet have cutting edge IP in them? Almost like they aren't doing all their own R&D and have access to other people's research as well as being state sponsored. Come on there is a reason the entire world isn't happy with them it's not just Trump.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017

Lol go away you wu mao red guard.

Don't forget all of China's bullying tactics over cross-strait relations and everything else they do to insert themselves into other countries' business interests.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
If this does ever happen Apple and iOS becomes the default king of the world. I rather that not happen.

Although sadly I think it will happen. New alternative OS in the mobile space will show up in emerging markets and the only one remaining at the end will be iOS. You just cant dethrone a product that is marketed as a luxury good, those will last for as long as capitalist societies exist. Google doing this to Huawei, even if it's the right thing to do, will hurt Android's longevity in my opinion.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Huawei sells a lot of phones in china, it won't affect them there as there is no play store or google services in china. Now this will probably kill their growth in most foreign markets but they can probably salvage a few countries.

It will be interesting to see what ultimately caused google to go this way and how long it sticks (They slowly are wanting their way back into china and this probably will hurt their partnerships with other phone manufacturers from china).

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
CNN and the verge are saying it's bad for Hwawei, what would you expect western media to say? The truth?

How is this a lie? Developing their own OS and app store isn't going to be easy, and if they continue to use Android it will make their job a lot harder.

Good. I know they're working on their own OS, but nobody in the west is going to touch that now.

This is what actually worries me somewhat. I imagine Android gives Chinese dissidents the ability to install 3rd party apps in a way iOS doesn't allow. A potentially closed source and locked down OS becoming the dominant OS in China could be bad for the most vulnerable.