• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't know if I should watch this...all this sounds so so horrible.

Iv only ever built 3 PC's but some of this shit that people are talking about makes me feel like they grabbed a kid to do it for the video

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Bitwit's video is...interesting.

The actual Verge video is quite something too, but for completely different reasons. How confident the guy is while talking about the build process makes it all the better, too.

Makes me feel way better about my last couple of builds and - especially - my cable management.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Cool. Will do. Says single channel so illI change it now.
woMLK9W.png

Do it like the second one
this is from your motherboard manual

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That case has enough space on the back to fit an entire PS4, how do you fuckup cable management in that case?

Don't listen to the elitist gamers, keep it next to each other.

FFS, stop that crap. Mobos require memory to be in specific slots in order to take advantage of dual channel memory. It's not "elitist" talk at all. Look it up for yourself.

If you have 4 slots, it would be A1, A2, B1 and B2. A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 must be paired to use dual channel bus.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
FFS, stop that crap. Mobos require memory to be in specific slots in order to take advantage of dual channel memory. It's not "elitist" talk at all. Look it up for yourself.

If you have 4 slots, it would be A1, A2, B1 and B2. A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 must be paired to use dual channel bus.
I'm pretty sure he/she was joking. :P

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the first PC I choose the parts was in 2002, and I did a bad job, still it was a decent enough PC, but after noticing that I made a poor choice I started researching properly and don't think I ever made that mistake again,
hopefully they will learn from it.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Genuinely want to know where the guy got some of his info. He seems to know enough about what goes where. Not always the right way or right position or the neatest. But he's not clueless. The PC worked in the end.

Then he busts out a fun fact about needing rubber insulators to stop the power supply from zapping the PC. Is that an assumption or just not double checking something read years ago.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus Christ. Almost everything was done incorrectly with incorrect information. If you are a first time PC builder and you use this as a guide you will:

a. Not have an optimal running PC (Single Channel RAM config)
b. Break something (What the hell was he doing with the CPU and the little plastic thing? Looked like he poked at it???)
c. Use incorrect technique in 90% of the build making things harder for yourself.

The reason why it irks me so much is there is tons of guides online - written and visual - that they could have straight up copied and the result would have been better. It just comes off as lazy to put out a video like this.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Just poking fun at people who think correcting an obvious misinformation is being elitist PC gamer.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
That... Build is something. So much misinformation in the video and also straight up incorrect or poor installation. It's bad form to have kept the video and disable comments.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who knows nothing about computers, what's wrong with that gif?
When you get a new motherboard, before you can install the CPU you have to flip up the locking tab and remove a piece of dummy plastic that the manufacturer put in there to protect the pin connectors.

The person in the GIF flipped up the locking tab and then put the CPU down on top of the plastic piece. It (obviously) doesn't fit. So they lifted the CPU out and tried putting the CPU back in upside down (with the pins facing up). Nope, it doesn't fit that way either.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not that this excuses the misinformation but I wonder if this is just being used to show Verge youtube viewers who may be thinking about building a PC but think it's too difficult that it isn't? Like they will watch this and think "oh that's not so bad" and then maybe buy parts + look up actual proper build videos to help them.

I can't imagine anyone is going to see this video and use it as their only guide to buying and putting together a PC.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you get a new motherboard, before you can install the CPU you have to flip up the locking tab and remove a piece of dummy plastic that the manufacturer put in there to protect the pin connectors.

The person in the GIF flipped up the locking tab and then put the CPU down on top of the plastic piece. It (obviously) doesn't fit. So they lifted the CPU out and tried putting the CPU back in upside down (with the pins facing up). Nope, it doesn't fit that way either.

They actually bought the wrong CPU for the board so it would not fit and they returned it.

Giant bomb pc builds are always super fun. They know just enough to be dangerous

Oct 26, 2017
There are many amazing channels you can check out if you plan on building your first PC, Bitwit, Jay2Cents, GamersNexus (the one I personally used), youtube is basically filled with PC enthusiasts.

But stuff like this needs to be called out, new PC builders are going to end up damaging their PCs if they follow this video.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
OP, your first mistake was using a BitWit video with Lyle in it. It's Kyle's worst gimmick and most embarassing to watch, and judging from this thread, it absolutely distracted from your point of pointing out how misinformed The Verge's video is.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
To summarize:

A conspiracy theorist published a guide on how to build a PC from scratch.

Then a racist YouTuber makes their commentary on it, regarding its inaccuracies.

And then there are users on this forum calling the latter elitist.

"racist"? Maybe I missed something but you should really back an accusation like that up. I don't see anything like that in the video or any comments here pointing out any of the guy's racist behavior.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
If anything the verge pc build video shows how durable PC hardware can be. Can't believe that posted.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Static build up is really overblown. Maybe if you worked on PC's all day the wrist strap would be worth it. But just don't work on carpet, and touch the PSU every once and a while. Not a big deal.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I'm no PC building expert but I'm 3 for 3 on builds and they all lasted many years thanks to the help of people at work and on these forums. Yeah PC building is way easier than it use to be thanks to YT and companies trying to make stuff as dummy proof as possible.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I admit it. When I built my PC in 2016 I put the CPU fan (Evo 212) on backwards. So pretty much it was shooting all the heat inside the case. About a month later I looked into it more because I thought my build was getting hotter than it was supposed to, and realized the fan blows through the CPU cooler, not whatever I was thinking. To my defense though, I remember the instructions not telling you which way you're suppose to put it at all.

I did not do anything in the OP vid tho lol.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
If you need a better reaction video to why the verge pc build video is such a disservice watch this one instead.

If you would have told me that verge video was a parody video I would have believed you.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Static build up is really overblown. Maybe if you worked on PC's all day the wrist strap would be worth it. But just don't work on carpet, and touch the PSU every once and a while. Not a big deal.

Yeah i agree.

Some in here might cringe but i have never used a wrist strap during any of my builds.

Edit: I will say though that I never appear to hold much static electricity. My girlfriend however is a complete different story and i wouldn't let her build a PC without a wrist strap because she seems to be a walking power generator at times.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For true comedy gold they should be locked in a room with mid-1990s PC parts and have to assemble that.

No internet and no cell phones.

Make them read the manuals.

saint

Oct 27, 2017
To be completely honest, this thread and that video comes off as incredibly elitist. This is the side of PC gaming/building that I don't like at all, speaking as someone who primarily games on the PC.
lmao what? this has nothing to do with the op at all. the op is about misinformation and people having no idea about what the fuck they're doing, not about any elitism you're talking about

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For true comedy gold they should be locked in a room with mid-1990s PC parts and have to assemble that.

No internet and no cell phones.

Make them read the manuals.
Ha, yeah, I built my first PC in 1997 and it was harrowing. Mainly because I was young and it felt intimidating but it worked out in the end.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's funny how you you can't point out that a video gives bad advices that can potentially damage your hardware, from a tech site nonetheless, without being called an elitist on ERA

Ozgiliath

Alt-Account
Aug 13, 2018
Ha, yeah, I built my first PC in 1997 and it was harrowing. Mainly because I was young and it felt intimidating but it worked out in the end.

I remember back in the 90's how terrible those cases where, my dad cut his hand open many many times because it was all a sudden death trap if you wanted to remove something.

These days it is all easy access, no power struggle required and being more innovative on that front. Building PC's in the 90's costed lots of labour and lots of bandages.

Even the whole wire work was just, awful and a lot of things just went with a few centimeters without a cable popping out of your cd-rom drive or hdd at that time.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This thread taught me that it's """""elitist""""" to be informative and warn against stupidity. :thonk:

It's unfortunate they disabled comments on the video. That's the real Elitism. Instead of engaging the community to acknowledge where they went wrong and maybe try fixing it they just batten down the hatches and double down.