• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have we as human beings sunk so low as to compare loading times of different games? Lmao

Just look at some of the arguments and contradictions throughout this thread. Marketing terms like "ported" and "BC boost" are being used to seperate the validity of certain BC games as applicable to list versus others, including ones we don't even have upgrade details for yet (eg Forza Horizon 4).

The amusing thing is, in real-world terms the graphical difference between XSX Gears 5 and One X Gears 5 is still mostly negligible, so much so that John from DF in his analysis himself called the differences "subtle". Really, the resolution, frame rate and loading times are the biggest differences, and that's relevant to these "boost" BC games too.

This is the difference some are separating Gears 5 over, which is pretty funny given it's a difference even Microsoft does not feel is enough to be charging extra for.

Some comparison shots. There are no native captures to compare on Digital Foundry's written article, else I would have posted them.

Screenshot-20201103-141001-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141008-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141018-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141028-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141437-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141809-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141657-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141652-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141742-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141742-You-Tube-01.jpg

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Its still a little confusing what counts as a port and what counts as a new game.
Also isnt Call of Duty a launch game? I mean its on Friday but it basically is.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, a whole lotta console warring going on in here. You gotta think of it in terms of what's practical and realistic to do in an article. They could have listed the literally hundreds of PS4 and Xbox One games that have unlocked framerates so will run better on the new consoles, or instead they could have listed only the games where the developer created a new build of the game that will only be ever playable on the new console. They chose the latter, because that just makes sense.

The fact that a last-gen game was patched to unlock its framerate more recently shouldn't make a difference, you are going to get better framerates on the mid-gen version with that patch as well. I could see another article in the future, "The best backwards-compatible games to play on your new-gen console" or something, but that doesn't fit with this one where people are looking for launch titles for their new consoles.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Just look at some of the arguments and contradictions throughout this thread. Marketing terms like "ported" and "BC boost" are being used to seperate the validity of certain BC games as applicable to list versus others, including ones we don't even have upgrade details for yet (eg Forza Horizon 4).

The amusing thing is, in real-world terms the graphical difference between XSX Gears 5 and One X Gears 5 is still mostly negligible, so much so that John from DF in his analysis himself called the differences "subtle". Really, the resolution, frame rate and loading times are the biggest differences, and that's relevant to these "boost" BC games too.

This is the difference some are separating Gears 5 over, which is pretty funny given it's a difference even Microsoft does not feel is enough to be charging extra for.
It is the pc version nothing special. Same game with a patch. Stills a xbox one game. I think if they will count fh4, Gears5, ori and sea of thieves they should count ghost of tsushima, days gone and God of war 3 games with specific patches. Days gone received a 25gb patch.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
geez what a sad looking lineup. unless this is your first console I just don't really see much to be excited, for me. probably the least exciting launch yet of main-tier consoles. Lots of cool stuff on the horizon but it's just not enough to really feel proper hyped. the sadder part is I have an xsx pre-oredered but I'm looking forward to spiderman/demons/astro more than any of the xbox offerings. will grab a ps5 when I can but I can't help but feel uninspired by it all. At least there will be faster loading times and gamepass (for the xb). Can't wait to properly try the new ps5 controller too.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Instead of clarifying things this article is only bringing more confusion. Why is Fortnite listed as a next-gen launch title ?

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Excited about the PS5.

Already pre-ordered several titles and excited about revisiting some titles already announced day one like Borderlands 3.

I'll fill my SSD with:

- Borderlands 3
- Sackboys Adventures
- Spider Man Remastered
- Spider Man Miles Morales
- Demons Souls
- Dirt 5
- Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Destiny 2
- For Honor

And seriously hoping for a The Last of Us Part 2 patch since I stopped my second playthrought looking for collectables hoping for a 60fps patch (like Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima already got it).

I'M PACKED AND EXCITED

Apr 24, 2018
There's a ton of last gen (can't believe I'm saying that...) games that I still want to play, and I'm super excited to finally try out Game Pass, but there are no exclusive Xbox Series S/X launch titles that I'm particularly excited about. That being said, 100% in for Yakuza: Like a Dragon (possibly after a price drop, but maybe not) and Control: Ultimate Edition at some point.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Somewhat above the UI 4k vs 1080p bragging but didn't quite hit the heights of wifi 6 v wifi 5. Still have some work to do to reach that level.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Ori should not be in that list either as it is also only getting an FPS and resolution bump.
Ori is getting boosted to 6k resolution and 120 fps. Do you really think that is just a simple brute force BC upgrade? That took real work, to make a next gen title. It is much more work, with more impressive upgrades, than Days Gone or Tsushima. A simple patch to unlock the frame rate would not have resulted in 6k resolution and 120 fps.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of clarifying things this article is only bringing more confusion. Why is Fortnite listed as a next-gen launch title ?

www.resetera.com

Fortnite's Next-Gen Update: 4k60 XSX/PS5 and 1080P60 XSS, DualSense support, Activites to jump in your favorite modes News

https://www.ign.com/articles/fortnite-next-gen-features-ps5-xbox-series-x I made a thread on activies a few weeks ago, and as I said, if it's just used for that, that's already amazing...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realise the overcooked pack was a launch title, damn. I might actually have to get an extra dualsense at launch now.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Its still a little confusing what counts as a port and what counts as a new game.
Also isnt Call of Duty a launch game? I mean its on Friday but it basically is.

It says they excluded it specifically because it isn't available exactly on launch for either system.

It is on the second list though, which has games beyond launch day.

Hernan532

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
They could do the list the way they want. You don't need to agree. And it's ok.
They could put 300 BC games on that list but when I buy a new console i want to play new games. That's my opinion.
Anyway what really matter to me is what makes me happy to play. For me is SMMM and Demon's souls and that's why i preordered that on launch day.
BTW I have a high end Pc to play third party games.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

I dunno, I feel like "game has an Xbox Series X specific build" is pretty straight forward.

In regards to FH4, this was posted quite a while ago:

Q: How does Forza Horizon 4 leverage the power of Xbox Series X? What improvements have you made to the game's textures, draw, framerate and resolution?
A: Now optimized for the Xbox Series X, experience higher fidelity graphics and faster performance in Forza Horizon 4, similar to high-end gaming PC Ultra settings. Explore beautiful, historic Britain and drive hundreds of the world's greatest cars in native 4K Ultra HD, now at 60fps. Take advantage of clearer visuals with increased shadow, reflection, and particle effects quality. Get behind the wheel faster than ever with Quick Resume and dramatically improved load times. The Series X update is a free download to all Forza Horizon 4 owners and Xbox Game Pass subscribers.
support.forzamotorsport.net

Forza Horizon 4 - Optimized for Xbox Series X/S

There’s never been a better time to play Playground Games’ Forza Horizon 4. Now optimized for the Xbox Series X/S, players will experience higher fidelity graphics and faster performance as they ex...

Outside of that, they'll be streaming the game tomorrow.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Great list. I can find the ones with free enhancements for Series X and buy some secondhand XB1 games.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like we need a list of games that got patches specifically intended to improve performance on next-gen machines, because I remember hearing Days Gone and Tsushima specifically got PS5 patches.

After that it's really just about figuring out the difference between a next-gen patch and a full port or "optimization." A lot of these games have next-gen versions that are technically being sold as separate SKUs, but also let you upgrade from the current-gen version for free, like all the Ubisoft games.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a PS4 game gets activity cards and dualsense feedback I'd call it a PS5 version.

I reckon Dreams will get both, it practically has activity cards already through the app.

DVG

Oct 31, 2017
Out of the Xbox games what has the best graphics? I want my first game to be something that impresses me. Right now I'm leaning towards watch dogs but I'm not sure. Already played Gears 5 and Forza so I'm not really interested in replaying them as my first game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It's weird they list Cyberpunk 2077 with a Dec 2020 release date, because it's only a backwards compatible title.

A next gen version isn't coming until 2021 or 2022 (they've said they're targeting 2021 but can't guarantee it).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps it makes sense to go with whether a game has to be run from the internal SSD. If the patch requires the game to be run off the SSD it seems properly patched and not only running in bc mode. If the game can run from an external USB device, it's just bc. Additionally on PS5 if you can play the game with a DS4 it's running in bc mode and is thus not a PS5 game for Sony and the PS5 system.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
You realize that Microsoft rarely makes users pay for the same game twice on different platforms it controls the store of, right? That's why the Play Anywhere program exists, which Gears 5 is actually a member of. I think it's weird for you to try and quantify Gears 5 as "not worthy" of being next-gen just because Microsoft isn't charging for it given that that's not really something they tend to do often.

Last edited:

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Ori is getting reworked to allow for 120 fps. This isn't a framerate unlock.
Ok, and why should consumers care how those new framerates are reached? The effect is the same

None of those games offer new experiences, none of them will get new scored reviews, none of them should count as a launch title

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
It would be great to have next-gen 2020 and 2021 games list for both consoles that are accurate and without any strange caveats. Ignoring games such as GoTsu and Days Gone but adding titles such as King Oddball among other old titles seems strange. The 2021 list contains inaccuracies and this comes from a person who hasn't been following news that closely for the past few months. Psychonauts 2 is not Xbox exclusive. The Gunk is not releasing on both platforms. Deathloop and GhostWire: Tokyo are not "PS5 Exclusives", because both titles will be releasing afterwards to Xbox. Since the list also uses the term "PS5 first", this would be more fitting term for both titles to avoid any confusion.

All in all, I don't understand the constant narrative how - yet again - the upcoming launch line-up are piss poor, or "lackluster" as the author has put it. In my opinion, both consoles have good amount of games that I would be interested to play. Sure, Halo missing the console's launch year is a big hit, but Series X/S seems to have robust and extensive BC functionalities, which makes the console appealing - again, only speaking for my point of view. When it comes to PS5 this "there is nothing get excited for", "lackluster launch line-up just like this gen" etc. comments are similarly strange ones. I think it quite safe assumption to make that both quantity AND quality wise, Sony's 1st party output is better in comparison to 2013 when PS4 launched (and in relative terms to other home consoles in general). Knack became meme for all the wrong reasons, Killzone had lackluster critical reception and everyone forgot Contrast the moment it was released on the PS+. The only shining star was Resogun and to some extent Warframe. Though the latter gained popularity over the years. Similarly the 3rd party line up wasn't all that spectacular besides Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. Call of Duty: Ghost is among the worst COD title to date and Battlefield 4 was a burning mess of a game when it launched.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, and why should consumers care how those new framerates are reached? The effect is the same
I don't understand your "effect is the same" statement, no game runs at 120hz on current-gen systems, unlocked framerate or not. That's a specific next-gen console feature, one of the new things that could never be done on consoles before, and it most definitely offers a new experience. The new consoles don't just allow old games to run at 120hz, it requires a game be native to the new console, and probably optimized to run at that framerate as well, it's not like they are just "checking a box" or letting the backwards compatibility system automatically make old games play a little better.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What a dumb list. Look at this thread devolving into the most useless discussion ever.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for this. I just completed the game on PC, and feel like the improvements on the XSX version are very subtle. The main areas that would make substantial difference to the visuals of the game are geometry and lighting. There are changes in the latter, but they seem to be slight. What has been shown on the XSX could for sure be considered a cross gen game, but I suppose the mid gen upgrades have eaten into how much difference that actually makes.

Without the midgen upgrades, the difference would be much greater. I think this gen we need next gen targetted games more than ever to see the differences to current gen targetted games. Funnily enough, I consider Cyberpunk more of a next gen game, than a current gen one. I mean if you put footage of the PC version of that next to Watch Dogs Legion, I think it looks noticeably better. It also looks better graphically than RDR 2 overall. I feel it is visually a bit underrated on here.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That leaves us with one big issue: how do you know what new games are coming out for which platforms and when?

Lists a bunch of old games and leaves 2020 patched games out of the list because reasons.
Anyway it's the Verge so I knew this would happen before even opening this thread.

May 24, 2019
I think I've figured out my launch with this list.

On PS5 it'll be:
Astro
Bugsnax (I'll be on PS+ to transfer cloud saves and might as well try it.)
Demon's Souls
Observer: System Redux
Maneater (unless we hear it's running better on Xbox for whatever reason)

On Xbox:
Tetris Effect Connected (GP)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
The Falconeer (GP)

Then fooling around with BC.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not buying a lot of PS5 launch titles, I've already finished Demon's Souls on PS3 and I still have other From game's to finish before I would go back to it. My first installs on PS5 will be:-

Miles Morales
Witcher 3 - yup, never played it, my first experience is going to be the PS5 patched version.
Ghost of Tsushima - waited for next gen before trying it
Last of Us 2 - only about 1/3 through the game.
Bloodborne - 2/3 through this on PS4.
No Man's Sky
Rocket League
COD Warzone

In consideration - Yakuza, Assassins Creed Valhala, Dirt 5, Borderlands 3, Days Gone.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people arguing over Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone when Sony themselves have never called them PS5 games?

Plenty of BC games have unlocked framerates on the next gen consoles. What a weird thing to get hung up on.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Wait... The Lord of the Rings Gollum is Xbox only? I thought it was announced as a multiplatform game.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits is PS5 only? I thought it was a timed exclusive, but then again Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop also appear as PS5 only. And both The Medium and Phsyconauts 2 appear as Xbox only, when we know they are releasing (albeit late of via PS4 BC) on PS5.

Minor details aside (which I understand since not every company is clear on timed exclusives) solid work form The Verge.
It's a great list to be excited for next gen, there's something for everyone no matter which console (or if you stay on PC) you purchase, maybe Control on Switch is a foreshadowing of many of theese titles making it to the portable as well.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Not buying a lot of PS5 launch titles, I've already finished Demon's Souls on PS3 and I still have other From game's to finish before I would go back to it. My first installs on PS5 will be:-

Miles Morales
Witcher 3 - yup, never played it, my first experience is going to be the PS5 patched version.
Ghost of Tsushima - waited for next gen before trying it
Last of Us 2 - only about 1/3 through the game.
Bloodborne - 2/3 through this on PS4.
No Man's Sky
Rocket League
COD Warzone

In consideration - Yakuza, Assassins Creed Valhala, Dirt 5, Borderlands 3, Days Gone.
FYI - that's 2021.