• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?
Forza and Gears will get proper ports and be optimized for the new consoles. GoT and Days Gone are getting patches for BC mode. I think unlocking the framerate and that's it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They have received PS5 enhancements, like the others have received XSX enhancements
Seems a bit arbitrary as all those games have been enhanced.
Terrible reasoning to disquality certain SIE games, and doesn't even look like they've checked their list before publishing
You wanna go there? Ok let's go there both of you. On Xbox One there are over 4000 games. All of those get enhancements via BC like auto HDR. So by your logic Xbox Series X will have a launch lineup of 4000 enhanced games?

I disagree with the logic btw and there is clear cut distinction between a BC and a native running game. It's great Days Gone and co did get a patch to run at 60FPS in BC, but the work involved is significantly less than doing a port with various upgrades (be it graphics, latency, framerate, ...).

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they won't run at 4K 60 on PS4. Neither will Sekiro on Xbox. But given the new power of the machines dynamic settings in old games can be boosted to their max. Which is likely why is happening with this PS4 games. It's a possibility these games are separated PS5 skus. But if they were I'm sure they'd have their own store listing. If it's still the PS4 executable the same patches will be available to PS4 owners. Xbox one owners have no access to the series patches.

Okay, so you don't know for sure. Got it. And even if what you're saying is true, you and everyone else making this argument are just being pedantic. Ultimately they're all old games getting facelifts of varying degrees which is awesome. List wars, man. Fucking hell.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Ah, I didn't know that. Thought they were the same game but visual upgrades. The Verge list doesn't make it clear.
I thought so as well until I went to buy it for my son and found out I couldn't just by the Xbox One version like every other cross gen game he plays. You either buy both standard editions, or you by the 'Mamba Forever' edition for $120 to get both. There are apparently some next gen specific modes as well, but I don't follow the game that much so I'm not sure which.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok...so based on this article and some of the replies, it's ok to compare loading times of Miles and Gears 5 now?

Just asking because I got into a lil debate about this recently.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
You wanna go there? Ok let's go there both of you. On Xbox One there are over 4000 games. All of those get enhancements via BC like auto HDR. So by your logic Xbox Series X will have a launch lineup of 4000 enhanced games?

I disagree with the logic btw and there is clear cut distinction between a BC and a native running game. It's great Days Gone and co did get a patch to run at 60FPS in BC, but the work involved is significantly less than doing a port with various upgrades (be it graphics, latency, framerate, ...).
as many have said there are already a lot of cases similar to GoT and DG on that list

the point is not that GoT and DG should be added, the point is that any upgrade of old titles should be removed from there

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It it that hard for people to not be personally offended about a single websites game list? If you consider a game to be an actual PS5/XSX game and not just one running in bc mode, does it matter what others think?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The Verge going at length to plump up the Xbox launch lineup numbers. 😂
The distinction they draw doesn't even apply to both systems, like WTF?
It does.
  • Games ported with a Xbox/PS5 devkits -> on the list.
  • Games using BC -> not on the list
Pretty straightforward and having PS games getting late PS4 patches to unlock the framerate is great. But those are not ports and imo you can see this with Days Gone, which runs at up to 60FPS according to the official tweet. If it was ported and optimized than surely the powerful PS5 could do locked 60 or even 120FPS while taking a nap.

as many have said there are already a lot of cases similar to GoT and DG on that list

the point is not that GoT and DG should be added, the point is that any upgrade of old titles should be removed from there
One example I saw was SoT and that's it. All the other examples are false, because the enhancements in FH4, Gears, ... go beyond what Days Gone for instance is getting.

Look, I think it's perfectly fine to disagree with verge line/distinction, but calling them fanboys over it is silly. They literally listed games done with new devkits (ports) and decided not to list games getting any form of enhancements via BC.

Gemüsepizza suggested to list all games with enhancements. Then I'd say good luck listing about 4000 Xbox games, because there are auto enhancements via BC applied to all games like HDR, loading and I think it was texture filtering.

Last edited:

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say this generation has to be the worst way these companies have have provided information to the consumer, especially Sony. I've heard a lot more information when I had my PlayStation 4 before launch than I did with my PlayStation 5.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
The console warring comments in the thread are so infuriating. There's a clear distinction between BC-enhanced games and ported games that are treated like native titles. Full stop.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?
Im not sure about Forza Horizon 4, but Gears 5 is actually receiving a full next gen version like other cross gen games
Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima are just receiving patches upgrading resolution/ framerate

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I still think the delays of Deathloop and Destruction All Stars are a big hit to the launch lineup, these two would have been completely new games instead of a spin off like Miles Morales or a remake like Demon´s Souls.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
There is a distinction, those games unlock modes in the PS4 game that the PS5 can take advantage of.
They are running in BC and use no PS5 features.
Sony refer to them as PS4 games.

The Xbox games have been ported to run as any other Xbox Series X game does.

Do you happen to know if Days Gone will need to be on the internal SSD to take advantage of the enhancements, or will it still be enhanced running off an external SSD?

what about Ori or Sea of Thieves?
I think Ori is a full next gen version, but I'm also not sure about Sea of Thieves

I've mostly been paying attention to Gears 5 and Days Gone because they are both at the top of my backlog

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima are just receiving patches upgrading resolution/ framerate
Yep that's the current information and they don't do more than unlocking the framerate. Which some games like Tomb Raider already had modes for. Nobody complains about Tomb Raider not being on the PS and Xbox list. Why?
what about Ori or Sea of Thieves?
I don't play SoT and haven't followed anything. But Ori got ported and the devs had to go in and optimized the hell out of the game to achieve 6K and 120FPS. Unlocking the framerate is easy and usually requires a few lines of code. Thus it's not comparable to a ported game, which requires weeks/months of dev work.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do you happen to know if Days Gone will need to be on the internal SSD to take advantage of the enhancements, or will it still be enhanced running off an external SSD?

Given what we know, Days Gone will run fine from a regular HDD as that is what PS4 games run from.
No doubt it will load faster on the SSD.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
The only next-gen launch game between two systems is Demons Souls.

Thank god for backwards compatibility.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
What a pointless list, both have good BC 'next-gen' patch or not

Yep that's the current information and they don't do more than unlocking the framerate. Which some games like Tomb Raider already had modes for. Nobody complains about Tomb Raider not being on the PS and Xbox list. Why?
I don't play SoT and haven't followed anything. But Ori got ported and the devs had to go in and optimized the hell out of the game to achieve 6K and 120FPS. Unlocking the framerate is easy and usually requires a few lines of code. Thus it's not comparable to a ported game, which requires weeks/months of dev work.
Funny, so if GOT patch also hit 4k only then should it be on the list?
Also your logic not taking into account that most of Sony first party games will probably take advantage of the dualsense which is as next-gen as you can get.

Jun 23, 2019
This list is.....unique to the say the least. I do find their inclusion of older Xbox titles puzzling considering they are in the same boat as older PS titles, yet the Verge decided not to include them. It might be confusing to consumers who see all of the tweets from Ps Studios about upgrades and such for their older games, but don't see them on the list. Is anyone making a comprehensive next gen list on Era?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
So.. you dismiss the fact they patch Days gone to do 4K 60fps, but then try and sell Ori took blood sweat and tears for similar upgrades as being different, because???

Funny cause nobody took anything away from what Xbox games has done for their games, yet you went this hard. Why? Any game that was patched to take advantage of its next gen counterpart should be included on this (weird) list.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Also your logic not taking into account that most of Sony first party games will probably take advantage of the dualsense which is as next-gen as you can get.
"probably". What Sony has announced is that Days Gone runs at up to 60FPS at dynamic 4K. End of story and that's what verge decided to go with. They made their list clearly with the differentiator that all games on the list must be developed on the new devkits, hence getting ports.

Days Gone and you could list thousands of other games on both consoles with enhancements due to BC aren't ports. That's their distinction and as I said you don't need to agree with it. To each their own and all I am saying is calling them fanboys is silly.
Funny, so if GOT patch also hit 4k only then should it be on the list?
What are you talking about?

Last edited:

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Do we know what games have ray tracing?

Only ones I know of for sure are Watch Dogs Legion and Devil May Cry 5 (but only PS5 at launch)
Edit: also Maneater, I cant believe I forgot Maneater

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Weird list or not, I think we can all appreciate the fact that it's no 2014 barren launch situation and we hopefully won't have to worry about that ever again.

Of course, who knows with Nintendo, but at least with MS and Sony we're good.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So.. you dismiss the fact they patch Days gone to do 4K 60fps, but then try and sell Ori took blood sweat and tears for similar upgrades as being different, because???
I don't dismiss Days Gone. It's great developers did go in and made the changes so the game in BC runs better due to unlocked framerate. But verge clear distinction is games ported made the list and all others didn't. Including games that already had a 60FPS mode like Tomb Raider and benefit from the sheer power of the new consoles in BC.

Ori isn't a game brute forcing it's way to their target framerate. It got ported to the new consoles in order to run 6K or 120FPS. Days Gone didn't get ported. It got the framerate unlocked so the PS5 can brute force it to "up to 60FPS" in BC mode. I am sure if they would've ported DG than much more would've been possible with the game on PS5.

Last edited:

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Weird list or not, I think we can all appreciate the fact that it's no 2014 barren launch situation and we hopefully won't have to worry about that ever again.

Of course, who knows with Nintendo, but at least with MS and Sony we're good.
Yeah Its a lot better than most prior launches
Im just still a little worried about a lack of next gen only games through 2021

Also, I'm legitimately shocked that Fortnite seems to be the only one of the big F2P/ battle royale games releasing for next gen

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah Its a lot better than most prior launches
Im just still a little worried about a lack of next gen only games through 2021
I am worried about this aswell with corona and all that. But Sony seems to beaten Covid and looks to have a stellar year. Probably the best launch year ever, if nothing gets delayed. Massive achievement and I am looking forward to many great games :)

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't dismiss Days Gone. It's great developers did go in and made the changes so the game in BC runs better due to unlocked framerate. But verge clear distinction is games ported made the list and all others didn't. Including games that already had a 60FPS mode like Tomb Raider and benefit from the sheer power of the new consoles in BC.

Ori isn't a game brute forcing it's way to their target framerate. It got ported to the new consoles in order to run 6K or 120FPS. Days Gone didn't get ported. It got the framerate unlocked so the PS5 can brute force it to "up to 60FPS" in BC mode. I am sure if they would've ported DG than much more would've been possible with the game on PS5.
Yes you do. The DG patch was 25gb big. You assume that it just unlocks frame-rate, but the size of that patch suggests otherwise. Lets be honest, we don't know (yet). But you want assume it because it fits the narrative you want.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why? Any game that was patched to take advantage of its next gen counterpart should be included on this (weird) list.
The irony with this argument is that games with a forward thinking 60FPS mode aren't included then. Why in your opinion?

Sekiro and Days Gone for example use the same approach as far as we know. Let the consoles in BC mode go nuts and achieve up to 60FPS.

What's the difference there? One already has a 60FPS mode and the other got it via a patch? Not seeing the difference between BC games and ports is interesting to say the least.
Yes you do. The DG patch was 25gb big. You assume that it just unlocks frame-rate, but the size of that patch suggests otherwise. Lets be honest, we don't know (yet). But you want assume it because it fits the narrative you want.
If it got a port, then it should be on the list. Simple as that.

If I would do a list, then I would've done the sections differently than verge anyway. You would be surprised, if you really think I have a narrative lol.
  • Next gen
  • Cross gen
  • upgraded/patched games
  • Unlocked games for good measure (Tomb Raider)
So differently than verge and days gone would be on my list. By the way I always said in this thread that anyone can disagree with verge. Just because I explained their distinction doesn't mean I agree with it.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xsx =
-new games :Tetris / yakuza / falconeer/ gears tactics
-upgrade : gears 5 / fh4

Ps5=
-new games : miles / demon souls / sack boy / godfall
-upgrade: god'of war / Sekiro / days gone

Multi : Valhalla / watch dogs

M'y launch line up

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
Launch games are games that launch with a new platform. If the software was released on a previous platform, then it is not a launch game. These Series X games have substantial updates and are excellent examples of post release support, but why are they moving the goalposts with such a specific standard? No other gen had games like this so they deserve to be a new category, greater than BC but different from launch games.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
The irony with this argument is that games with a forward thinking 60FPS mode aren't included then. Why in your opinion?

Sekiro and Days Gone for example use the same approach as far as we know. Let the consoles in BC mode go nuts and achieve up to 60FPS.

What's the difference there? One already has a 60FPS mode and the other got it via a patch? Not seeing the difference between BC games and ports is interesting to say the least.
If it got a port, then it should be on the list. Simple as that.
Who's says that tomb raider shouldn't be in the list lol!? It should be in a list, but probably not this list. We're talking about games that were patched to take advantage of next gen. Didn't Sekiro just get patched? We don't know what other features may be present in those games now; if they'll have Dualsense features or what. Just as much work can be put in through patches over time as what was done with Ori. Ori is the same game with higher res and Fr. Yet One is called a port (as you say) and the other is not, ok cool. But all I see is the same difference.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
"probably". What Sony has announced is that Days Gone runs at up to 60FPS at dynamic 4K. End of story and that's what verge decided to go with. They made their list clearly with the differentiator that all games on the list must be developed on the new devkits, hence getting ports.

Days Gone and you could list thousands of other games on both consoles with enhancements due to BC aren't ports. That's their distinction and as I said you don't need to agree with it. To each their own and all I am saying is falling them fanboys is silly.
What are you talking about?

Ori isn't a game brute forcing it's way to their target framerate. It got ported to the new consoles in order to run 6K and 120FPS. Days Gone didn't get ported. It got the framerate unlocked so the PS5 can brute force it to "up to 60FPS" in BC mode. I am sure if they would've ported DG than much more would've been possible with the game on PS5.
Its a pointless list.
They made their list clearly with the differentiator that all games on the list must be developed on the new devkits
And this is supposed to be important because??

Power isn't the only next-gen defining feature.
There's activities, loading improvement, dualsense. Features Sony have confirmed to be coming to some BC games.
devs put in time to implement those, the logic of only '4k60fps' and even those don't count but only when 'optimized' is just laughable.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
It does.
Pretty straightforward and having PS games getting late PS4 patches to unlock the framerate is great. But those are not ports and imo you can see this with Days Gone, which runs at up to 60FPS according to the official tweet. If it was ported and optimized than surely the powerful PS5 could do locked 60 or even 120FPS while taking a nap.

One example I saw was SoT and that's it. All the other examples are false, because the enhancements in FH4, Gears, ... go beyond what Days Gone for instance is getting.

Look, I think it's perfectly fine to disagree with verge line/distinction, but calling them fanboys over it is silly. They literally listed games done with new devkits (ports) and decided not to list games getting any form of enhancements via BC.

Gemüsepizza suggested to list all games with enhancements. Then I'd say good luck listing about 4000 Xbox games, because there are auto enhancements via BC applied to all games like HDR, loading and I think it was texture filtering.

You do realize that Gears 5 is not locked to 60fps all of the time? It has dips... If you watch the DF video from yesterday testing Gears 5 you would have seen that rather than post "up to 60fps" FUD.

Nonetheless, the list is weird and has some inconsistencies that others have pointed out. I think the weirdest is not including NBA 2K21 on the list, which seems like a massive leap between last-gen and next-gen SKUs.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
It does.

Ori should not be in that list either as it is also only getting an FPS and resolution bump.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 one of the best line up ever More so if you look at first year its up they with Switch first year if they hit they may pass it

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
we can all agree that the phrase "launch title" means nothing anymore
that's the thread settled

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It does.

"Ported", don't both Xbox and PS5 use the same SDK's (Directx vs GNM(X)) that were present on current gen consoles? Both MS and Sony are doing enhancements that otherwise are not possible on current gen consoles, what "dev kit" they run it through is irrelevant. The concept of generations or dev kits is merely an iteration now, not too dissimilar to PC. Dev kits for all intents and purposes provide a target spec, Forza Horizon isn't implementing platform specific features like ray tracing, it's bumping up frame rate and things like shadow detail, literal tweaking of sliders.