• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they count games like "Forza Horizon 4" and "Gears 5" for Xbox, but not "Days Gone" and "Ghost of Tsushima" for PS5?

Probably because I don't think Ghost and Days are going to have their proper PS5 upgrades out at launch I believe? Could be wrong about that.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls, Miles Morales & Assassins Creed Valhalla will keep me busy for a while.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Author posted this in comments:
So we explained that a bit above the first chart, but fully optimized games are different than backwards compatible ones, including those — like Ghost of Tsushima — that will see a performance bump from the PS5. Fully optimized means performance, visuals, and taking advantage of new features of the hardware/controller. So Microsoft fully optimized a nhumber of fits first-party titles, including older games, while Sony did not, with the exception of Spider-Man, which technically counts more as a remaster than a full optimization. This is simply a product of dealing with an unprecedented cross-gen launch slate, given both consoles' support for older hardware libraries.

I guess it remains to be seen what the various patches have done to PS4 games on PS5. We don't yet have those full reviews/impressions, just the short blurbs some studios have put out. Maybe we'll hear more impressions next week.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This generation is such a shitshow when it comes to showing the games and experiences each console will offer. Yeesh.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
They're not PS5 games.

Isn't Forza and Gears actually optimized for series x, like ported? It isn't BC with boost mode as far as I know.

They have received PS5 enhancements, like the others have received XSX enhancements.

Based on the work gone into Forza and Gears, I think they're borderline remasters.

Seems a bit arbitrary as all those games have been enhanced.

Author posted this in comments:

Pretty weak explanation from them imo. I don't think those enhancements come from BC, they had to be patched in, and are individual PS5 enhancements.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Pretty weak explanation from them imo. I don't think those enhancements come from BC, they had to be patched in, and are individual PS5 enhancements.
Agree. I think games getting patches to support Dualsense features will qualify them for this based on his language?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
They have received PS5 enhancements, like the others have received XSX enhancements.

They're not PS5 games. They will run from USB and allow PS4 controller. Sony is very clear on the difference between the two.

The XSX games listed are specifically XSX games that need installed on the new SSD to take advantage of the upgrade or they will be in BC.

There would be hundreds of games on XSX similar to Ghosts and Days Gone that play better on XSX and they aren't listed because they are BC.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Days Gone, God of War, and Ghosts are just PS4 BC games. That's like counting Sekiro for Xbox since it runs at 60 now.

Those patches are available for PS4 users and the Xbox patches are only for the series consoles

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

What enhancements did Sony put into those two games? Not sure why you would suggest what Microsoft has done with Gears 5 is a weak explanation. They have clearly put work into that game to enhance the title on the new hardware.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible reasoning to disquality certain SIE games, and doesn't even look like they've checked their list before publishing. LOTR: Gollum and War Thunder listed as coming to "Xbox only", and The Gunk is listed as coming to both. Think this needed a bit more time in the editing room.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Also, kind of wrong to call Cold war a $10 upgrade when you can't upgrade it? You have to buy the cross gen bundle.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone, God of War, and Ghosts are just PS4 BC games. That's like counting Sekiro for Xbox since it runs at 60 now.

Those patches are available for PS4 users and the Xbox patches are only for the series consoles

Days Gone and Ghosts both have PS5 patches , I don't see the difference.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Terrible reasoning to disquality certain SIE games, and doesn't even look like they've checked their list before publishing. LOTR: Gollum and War Thunder listed as coming to "Xbox only", and The Gunk is listed as coming to both. Think this needed a bit more time in the editing room.

Not as funny as including King Odball

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019

Do you have any evidence this isn't a PS4 patch? What's likely happening is a patch is issued to PS4 games unlocking frame rate and dynamic resolution and allowing the PS5 overhead to do the rest. It'll just be a PS5 option in the menu. The Xbox applies the correct settings depending on your console.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There appears to be no such thing as a "PS5 patch". Sony appears to be keeping PS5 versions of PS4 games explicitly separate. Since Sony isn't offering a specific "PS5 upgrade" for either game, it's safe to assume that Ghosts and Days Gone will be played through backwards compatability.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
There appears to be no such thing as a "PS5 patch". Sony appears to be keeping PS5 versions of PS4 games explicitly separate. Since Sony isn't offering a specific "PS5 upgrade" for either game, it's safe to assume that Ghosts and Days Gone will be played through backwards compatability.

Seems pedantic. Days Gone @4k 60fps is much more transformative than a lot of those Series X patches.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Those games aren't being patched to run at 4k60 on PS4. What? Sekiro is a shit comparison as well because it runs at 60fps due to the unlocked framerate in the XB1 version. It's not getting patched.

Do you have any evidence this isn't a PS4 patch? What's likely happening is a patch is issued to PS4 games unlocking frame rate and dynamic resolution and allowing the PS5 overhead to do the rest. It'll just be a PS5 option in the menu. The Xbox applies the correct settings depending on your console.

Hold on, where's your evidence that it is a PS4 patch? The burden of proof is on you. Asking for evidence then making bold, definitive statements while providing none yourself is not a good look.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still a weird arbitrary line that stinks of console warring.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Those games aren't being patched to run at 4k60 on PS4. What? Sekiro is a shit comparison as well because it runs at 60fps due to the unlocked framerate in the XB1 version. It's not getting patched.

Hold on, where's your evidence that it is a PS4 patch? The burden of proof is on you. Asking for evidence then making bold, definitive statements while providing none yourself is not a good look.

Of course they won't run at 4K 60 on PS4. Neither will Sekiro on Xbox. But given the new power of the machines dynamic settings in old games can be boosted to their max. Which is likely why is happening with this PS4 games. It's a possibility these games are separated PS5 skus. But if they were I'm sure they'd have their own store listing. If it's still the PS4 executable the same patches will be available to PS4 owners. Xbox one owners have no access to the series patches.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I think the determination of what should go on the list can be pretty neutral and straight forward... let the platform holder decide.

If an enhanced PS4/XBO game is offered through the online storefront as an official PS5/XS game, then why argue? Put it on the list as a PS5/XS game. If the enhanced last-gen game only appears in the PS4/XBO storefront pages, then the next gen lists can keep them off.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Seems pedantic. Days Gone @4k 60fps is much more transformative than a lot of those Series X patches.
Why?

What's new with Gears 5 on Xbox Series X?

The same can be said about 120fps multiplayer in Gears 5. I would like to see what Sony has done with Days Gone aside from a frame rate boost and a dynamic resolution boost that Boost Mode did on the PS4 Pro for other PS4 titles. The Xbox One X had a ton of enhancements through BC, same thing. With Gears 5 for Series X they worked on that title and not just a patch.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
ghost and days gone have patches that target ps5 also
There is a distinction, those games unlock modes in the PS4 game that the PS5 can take advantage of.
They are running in BC and use no PS5 features.
Sony refer to them as PS4 games.

The Xbox games have been ported to run as any other Xbox Series X game does.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It seems a bit arbitrary to consider enhanced games for one console and not for the other, considering the end result for the user is the same.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Long and continued history of console wars infractions
Xbox Series X looks like Xbox One X remaster, getting the Bethesda is the right to do given how bad their launch is for next gen only games.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
It seems a bit arbitrary to consider enhanced games for one console and not for the other, considering the end result for the user is the same.
As many have said, the PS5 runs these in PS4 back compat mode. The Series X version of Gears 5 is a substantial update.

Why do people even care so much? Just enjoy the games for your system of choice!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Including certain games like gears and not Tsushima for example is a bit misleading imo. They may go a like further than standard enhanced BC, but they are no Spiderman Remaster either.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Why?

What's new with Gears 5 on Xbox Series X?

The same can be said about 120fps multiplayer in Gears 5. I would like to see what Sony has done with Days Gone aside from a frame rate boost and a dynamic resolution boost that Boost Mode did on the PS4 Pro for other PS4 titles. The Xbox One X had a ton of enhancements through BC, same thing. With Gears 5 for Series X they worked on that title and not just a patch.

Just seems a weird way of doing it.

Not including games that have been patched to take advantage of PS5 hardware but including King Oddball.

So not counting the PS5 patched games because technically it's still the PS4 SKU.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I think there is a reasonable one - if a patch is unlocking a framerate to allow game boost to hit closer to 60fps, or increases the dynamic resolution target (or hopefully for TLOU2 increases from 1440p), then although it is 'new' development, its more like something that could have been in the original game but they chose at the time to have a locked framerate etc. Also they're still PS4 games - you just probably won't see those unlocked framerate options if you actually run it on a PS4.

Whereas with Gears/FH4 they're bringing in higher res assets from the PC version and doing more significant work.