• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Good, shame them to hell and back.

People who are in here saying "just use a third party texting app" are ignoring how that isn't exactly a choice for many [most?] of us.

If your friends / family / etc do that, then great - if they don't, you're hooped.

Nobody I encounter in life [outside when I travel for work in France] uses a third party messaging app for anything other than buying / selling drugs [Signal / Wickr].

[I'm in Canada, FWIW]

I just want to be able to text people, with the default texting app on my phone, and not have the experience hamstrung because of different people's different devices.

It's ridiculous that this gulf in texting still exists between both platforms, and it needs to be fixed yesterday.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
(5/5)one.
(2/3)ha. This topic is always worth a giggle. 55/45 in US, 20/80 in the rest of the world. I stopped caring about iPhone users experience being awful when talking to the majority of the people on the planet a long time ago and don't much care if Apple ever gets it tog
(1/3)In my circle the shaming really comes from us Android users in the form of making fun of iPhone users not getting with the program or being unable to download another app like almost everyone else. Not a big deal for us but it does seem to bunch the iPhone users up. Ha
(4/5) Sent from my iPh
(3/3)ether. Lol.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
globally adopted standard
All three words are wrong, sorry. It's neither global (even int the US not all carriers support it), nor adopted (were here talking about forcing people to adopt it I guess) and also not a standard (see the linked Ars Technica piece).

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Because they literally already do it with other standards. Before MMS was widely used MMS was literally in the same situation and yet Apple happily added support and options in the settings for MMS and MMS fallback when a carrier either didn't support it or charged extra money for it.

It costs Apple literally nothing to add the standard as a fallback. It costs them nothing to use the standard as written. And they can even weaponize it against Google if they wanted to be petty about it. There is literally zero downside to them doing it.
So why doesn't Google use carrier implemented RCS and their own RCS as fallback?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Google should of got someone else to lead the charge lmao.

Sent from my iPhone

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
All three words are wrong, sorry. It's neither global (even int the US not all carriers support it), nor adopted (were here talking about forcing people to adopt it I guess) and also not a standard (see the linked Ars Technica piece).

RCS is recognized by the GSMA.

If there is a globally recognized successor to SMS/MMS, it's RCS.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
US carriers went hard on making texting free and unlimited before other countries carriers did.

That's why we never migrated to messaging apps. Essentially texting has been free since cell phones were widely adopted so there was 1 less major forcing factor for families to all decide to download a 3rd party app.

Now it's just sort of too late for anything new to replace "texting".

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
US carriers went hard on making texting free and unlimited before other countries carriers did.

That's why we never migrated to messaging apps. Essentially texting has been free since cell phones were widely adopted so there was 1 less major forcing factor for families to all decide to download a 3rd party app.

This gets repeated every thread.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
So why doesn't Google use carrier implemented RCS and their own RCS as fallback?

Here in the US, Google initially went with the carrier option.

It was a broken, incompatible mess as ever carrier tried to implement their own version.

The only reason RCS even somewhat works is because Google got the three main carriers to agree to using their implementation of it (and then AT&T promptly broke it again by being a bunch of controlling dickheads).

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
The vast, and I mean VAST, majority of people in the US have iPhones and use iMessage exclusively. Like you can't argue that people should just use WhatsApp or Signal when that ship has already sailed. Those apps have been around for years and gained no traction in the US.

The green bubble thing is absolutely real. And not even just kids being petty. I know a bunch of grown ass adults in their 30s and 40s who will exclude friends from group chats if they have an Android. Nobody wants the horribly compressed video or complaints about reactions coming through as additional texts.

Same, Adults who are all parents themselves (all in their 30's) on my street have specifically left out two members because they don't have iPhones. Apple needs to just support RCS at this point. WhatsApp was brought up but no one wants to install it as no one uses it.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is Apple uses Google Cloud for iCloud storage anyway ...

Also, it shows the vanity of Apples privacy stances when it forces its users to use 25 year old unencrypted messaging, just because the person they're talking to doesn't have an iPhone.
Yeah, it doesn't hold up to basic scrutiny.

People will always find a way to wage console phone wars though.

Does it not improve the user experience for iMessage users who have noniPhone contacts as well?
Certainly it would.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Heck, even on Android RCS messages are a different color from SMS/MMS. In Google Messages RCS becomes a deep blue instead of gray, and you also have extra indicators for read reciepts.
LOL, Google is hilarious
I'm left out of family group chats because I have a better phone than the rest of them.

Apple needs to grow up and stop being so petty. I'm an adult, so I don't feel bullied or peer pressured to buy a shittier phone. But I imagine how horrible it would be to be a US teen right now that owns an Android.

The stupid bubble would still be green. It's not an iMessage, so it will be tagged accordingly anyway. And even if Apple uses RCS in the background as a fallback, that does not mean that it will ever be compatible with iMessage group chats and all the other stuff.

If anything people in the US have to wake up already and use universal messaging apps like everyone else in the world. Using an unencrypted protocol (and I don't see Apple implementing Googles proprietary solution) ... Thanks no

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
If anything people in the US have to wake up already and use universal messaging apps like everyone else in the world.

You are hilarious. Human race can't even get everyone to agree to mask up in a global pandemic now you want them all to agree to download a different messaging app, create a new account under that service and then tell every friend to convert.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You are hilarious. Human race can't even get everyone to agree to mask up in a global pandemic now you want them all to agree to download a different messaging app, create a new account under that service and then tell every friend to convert.
I know, but it really is impossible to understand what's the problem when you live outside the US I guess

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I know, but it really is impossible to understand what's the problem when you live outside the US I guess

I mean it's not hard to imagine. If WhatsApp is the dominant way of communication in your country, imagine having to tell everyone to switch off from that because Meta is shit.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Reading arguments for and against this while living in a country where like 95% of smartphone users just default to WhatsApp, including the iPhone crowd, is quite something.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
RCS is recognized by the GSMA.

If there is a globally recognized successor to SMS/MMS, it's RCS.
This is not some non-profit standardization organization thats the good guy here:
The GSM Association (commonly referred to as 'the GSMA' or Global System for Mobile Communications, originally Groupe Spécial Mobile) is an industry organisation that represents the interests of mobile network operators worldwide.

en.wikipedia.org

GSMA - Wikipedia

Love me some carrier special interest group.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
does the universal standard without Google's hotfixes work as reliable as SMS?

On the carriers that support it, yes. For those that dont nothing changes since messages will still fallback to MMS->SMS. But now Apple can say "I don't know what you're talking about. We support the standard. Its not our fault if it only has 60-80% support

Unclear

Would this help at all? It's Google's implementation that adds the worthwhile features, right?

All Googles implementation adds is E2E Encryption. The rest is just RCS as-written.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I mean it's not hard to imagine. If WhatsApp is the dominant way of communication in your country, imagine having to tell everyone to switch off from that because Meta is shit.
We did. When Whatsapp changed their EULA to let more data to Facebook literally half the population moved on to Signal, Threema, Telegram. The force was so big WhatsApp tried to "delay" the rollout of their EULA.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
People jump from Insta to Snapchat to TikTok to "the next big thing" in a heartbeat but y'all telling me downlading a messenger is hard

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Google should take the energy they did for this stunt and apply it to sticking with one messaging service. They had a chance and bungled it up and are now blaming apple.

... They did?

"Google Messages" is their iMessage equivalent. Whenever I text someone else using Google RCS, the experience is virtually similar to iMessage. This is purely about the quality of messaging when users of both platforms communicate with each other.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
We did. When Whatsapp changed their EULA to let more data to Facebook literally half the population moved on to Signal, Threema, Telegram. The force was so big WhatsApp tried to "delay" the rollout of their EULA.

Is that anecdotal or are there statistics showing that WhasApp has lost majority of users in EU? If it's not literally everyone you are just fragmenting the population.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The business dueling is normal.

Everyday people picking sides to defend their favorite smartphone manufacturer of the month is what's really cringe.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Google should take the energy they did for this stunt and apply it to sticking with one messaging service. They had a chance and bungled it up and are now blaming apple.

Google could create a messaging service that gave everyone on Android $100 per character and it still wouldn't solve the problem.
  • iOS users in the US are not going to download a third party chat app to replicate what they already have.
  • Apple won't integrate it into their messaging app, so it does nothing to address the issue between iOS and Android.
Those are the two biggest hurdles causing the issue in the US.

As long as SMS is the only built-in way to communicate between an iPhone and Android phone, this issue isn't going to go away.

It's not something a third party app can fix.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is not some non-profit standardization organization thats the good guy here:

en.wikipedia.org

GSMA - Wikipedia

Love me some carrier special interest group.

Don't be daft. They maintain the standard like many other industry, trade and non-profit groups do. Just because the standard is held by a trade group doesn't make it any less valid than a non-profit standard association. They maintain the global standard that is a regulated standard in many countries across the globe.

You can argue that maybe the standards setting body within the GSMA should be split out to a non-profit group. And that would be a compelling valid argument. But you can not refute that they are the global legal standard for telecom communications.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
... They did?

"Google Messages" is their iMessage equivalent. Whenever I text someone else using Google RCS, the experience is virtually similar to iMessage. This is purely about the quality of messaging when users of both platforms communicate with each other.
They did so after multiple attempts including Google Hangouts (which was great, only to be killed)

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
People jump from Insta to Snapchat to TikTok to "the next big thing" in a heartbeat but y'all telling me downlading a messenger is hard
That is the opposite of the point. It's another app that does something my phone ALREADY does, for free. The issue is the tech monops arguing with each other and leaving their users with the shit.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The business dueling is normal.

Everyday people picking sides to defend their favorite smartphone manufacturer of the month is what's really cringe.

I don't care what ultimately ends up being used (RCS, Google's RCS, Matrix, some other protocol).

I just want the ability to send a video to my wife from my Android phone to her iPhone without it turning into a mess, and to not have my group chats fall apart.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, better cross-platform messaging would be good, and it would just be an additional fallback. On the other, supporting RCS specifically is just prolonging the life of carrier-centric messaging when it would arguably be better for that to die with SMS.

(And of course, being locked into any of these proprietary messaging platforms kind of sucks and is its own problem, and some modern, federated, e2e-encrypted-by-default protocol gaining traction would be great. But I don't know what the pathway to that would be. Maybe some smart legislation that doesn't make the mistake of mandating RCS or similar.)

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
IDK if RCS, or RCS in its current form is the answer, but we do need a universally adopted SMS/MMS successor.
I guess I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, better cross-platform messaging would be good, and it would just be an additional fallback. On the other, supporting RCS specifically is just prolonging the life of carrier-centric messaging when it would arguably be better for that to die with SMS.

(And of course, being locked into any of these proprietary messaging platforms kind of sucks and is its own problem, and some modern, federated, e2e-encrypted-by-default protocol gaining traction would be great. But I don't know what the pathway to that would ever be.)
Also this.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Bullying based on message bubble colour is proof people are fucking morons

I'm an iPhone user but still. Was there a Nelson muntz cloning lab