• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Apple releases iMessage on Android. That would instantly become the main chat app on Android and would be downloaded by damn near everyone. It would basically become Whatsapp for the US. This will never happen because Apple uses iMessage as a way to lock people into their ecosystem.
Fuck that noise. I'm not downloading Apple software and you can live with my "green bubbles". It's a real good indicator of whether or not I even want to deal with your ass if that's something that matters to you...which I don't.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
RCS has been around for 10 years and has had support in the US on a number of carriers for 6-7 years.
This is not true.
T-mobile supported in 2020, I believe AT&T in 2021. Verizon in 2021 as well.
www.macrumors.com

All Three Major U.S. Carriers and Google Adopt Rich Communication Services, But No Sign of Apple Interest

For the last several years, Google has been pushing a new communications protocol called Rich Communication Services, or RCS. RCS is designed to...
SMS already facilitates spam, not a good enough excuse to not use RCS as a fallback :)
SMS is limited in spam since you aren't sending nicely designed widgets that are made for ads. But what else would I expect from a Google product :)

FS9e8sCUYAAGXBG.jpg

Oct 22, 2020
Apple using SMS as the fallback for iMessage is fucking infuriating and completely undermines their ostensible privacy-first corporate ethos.

Absolutely support giving them endless shit for this.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Ever since I switched to Android, texting my mom has become such a shore since she has an iPhone. I'm trying to convince her to just use FB messenger or any other app than iMessage because I'm sick of the complications.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
While I don't disagree that Apple should support it, I have to imagine that if Apple has any response at all it will amount to "lol okay 🙄"

Regulators, on the other hand, maybe will push toward forcing adoption if it truly becomes a widely used standard. What is RCS adoption like in the EU?

The EU is pushing for interoperability between messaging platforms, and it's expect that RCS would be the protocol they require.

Fuck that noise. I'm not downloading Apple software and you can live with my "green bubbles". It's a real good indicator of whether or not I even want to deal with your ass if that's something that matters to you...which I don't.

Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean other people wouldn't. I guarentee you that if Apple were to drop iMessage on Android, it would shoot up to the most downloaded Android app pretty much instantly (especially in the US).

This is not true.
www.macrumors.com

All Three Major U.S. Carriers and Google Adopt Rich Communication Services, But No Sign of Apple Interest

For the last several years, Google has been pushing a new communications protocol called Rich Communication Services, or RCS. RCS is designed to...

That's when Google convinced US carriers to use their implementation of RCS.

RCS as a protocol has been around since 2007.

Oct 25, 2017
iMessage and FaceTime are definitely why I switched back to iPhone after years of buying Nexus / Pixel phones.

Google being an ad company and Apple letting me block sharing info with apps is probably the other biggest reason.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true.
www.macrumors.com

SMS is limited in spam since you aren't sending nicely designed widgets that are made for ads. But what else would I expect from a Google product :)

FS9e8sCUYAAGXBG.jpg
"SMS is better because the spam isn't formatted even if it's objectively worse and less private"

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
My brother has a Samsung s21 Ultra and he regularly gets shit from clients (he's a barber) for having it. He's had kids call him poor for owning a $1200 Android phone. Green bubble bullying is real

it is also that hard to get people to download an entirely new app that no one else really uses just for chatting. People don't want to go back to the AIM days

I guess it's because I don't have kids old enough to have their own phones, but this is the first I've heard of Green Bubble Bullying.

I don't look forward to them getting to middle school when we may give them phone...

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
You're not really explaining why iMessage continues to fail by FALLING BACK TO SMS instead of RCS.
Because RCS is just as obsolete for messaging as SMS. People use P2P clients to communicate and are thus independent of any providers. SMS is nowadays mainly used to receive automated texts for advertising purposes or to inform their users.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Ok yeah, I thought I heard about that but wasn't sure if RCS was likely to be the favored "framework", if you will.

RCS is overseen by the GSMA, which is a worldwide organization compromised of over 750 mobile network operators.

If there was a protocol that was going to be supported by the EU, it would be RCS.

Pretty much all of the EU network operators are part of the GSMA, as are the US networks.

Because RCS is just as obsolete for messaging as SMS. People use P2P clients to communicate and are thus independent of any providers. SMS is nowadays mainly used to receive automated texts for advertising purposes or to inform their users.

Outside of the US, sure, here in the US, not so much.

SMS still has a sizeable stake and carriers still have a lot of control regarding their networks.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
They should think about it this way. When they implement RCS into their iMessage, people outside the US would maybe start using iMessage more and they could apply pressure on WhatsApp.

I'd love for a messenger to become standard that doesn't compress 100mbps videos to around 0,3mbps. Same with photos.

Right now I don't even use iMessage for communication with iPhone users, cause nobody wants to use multiple messengers. Instead I make private uploads to YouTube and send the links.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
This feels like more of a problem in America than the rest of the world tbh. Over here (and many parts of the world) as much as I hate Facebook, I literally cannot connect with any of my family without WhatsApp. Its convenient too as switching ecosystems is less of a pain in the ass.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Absolutely 100%. But also Google needs to stop being disingenuous and release a fucking API so third party messaging developers can implement RCS on Android. Fucking Hypocrites.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean other people wouldn't. I guarentee you that if Apple were to drop iMessage on Android, it would shoot up to the most downloaded Android app pretty much instantly (especially in the US).
Except a lot of Android users ARE actually doing it for the cheap phones and can't actually be arsed to download an app just for messaging when they can just use the messaging app that comes with the phone. Like basically all my extended family either buys the oldest, cheapest iPhone or a new but cheap Android. They MIGHT download Facebook, but mostly just call/text on the thing.

Like, it's not cool to "bully" people because of the green bubble, but a lot of people buying Androids ARE doing it because they want the bare minimum like the stereotype suggests. I've always had a high-mid to top-tier Android phone, but in my circles, I'm the exception. It's either dirt cheap Androids that aren't really used or iPhones...which are also probably not used that much.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

FS9e8sCUYAAGXBG.jpg

Eh at least you can tell it's an ad right away instead of some cryptic link that I have to continue to remind my parents to never click on. I don't see that as worse than SMS spam.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Last edited:

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
it's quite literally the opposite. it's incredibly easy. Can be done from an iPad (i.e. "old folks' computer") over wifi, doesn't actually necessitate an iPhone OR a cellular plan. Photos and Videos are delivered in their original quality (and aren't compressed to all hell, as they are in WhatsApp)

Unless they're sent via MMS, apparently.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Eh at least you can tell it's an ad right away instead of some cryptic link that I have to continue to remind my parents to never click on. I don't see that as worse than SMS spam.
That's a fair point and I could definitely see the benefit for people less tech literate. For me personally, I would prefer not to have that be an option to my phone. I already deal with it through Email, I don't need it in my Messages.

It also kind of hurts that it comes from a verified "business" account. Which might actually be worse for people like your parents.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Funny they didn't cave when MS was asking for YouTube on Win mobile. Now that the shoe is on the other foot Google expects Apple to help them out.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
RCS isn't a modern standard and shouldn't be adopted in any way by Apple.
Neither is SMS and that's a large portion of the point. IF they are going to fall back on something when NOT using iMessage, it could AT LEAST be RCS INSTEAD of SMS.

Is an all-internet solution better? Yeah, but if they're gonna use a lesser solution, they could do better than a technology that was archaic over a decade ago.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I don't really care about the bubble situation at all, what I do care about is the huge hassle of text groups breaking when one person shifts from Apple to android. It's happened multiple times and it just breaks a text thread. New threads with the same number popping up, etc etc. even following all the instructions to turn off iMessage beforehand!

Fix that shit, Apple.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Apple knows exactly what it has with iMessage(peer-pressure based lock-in) and isn't likely to willingly give it up.

At no point is anyone asking Apple to give up iMessage. What's being asked is for Apple to replace SMS as the fallback for if an iMessage fails to go through, or is sent to a non-Apple device and use a more modern protocol.

That's it. iMessage will still be iMessage and work exactly the same.

This feels like more of a problem in America than the rest of the world tbh. Over here (and many parts of the world) as much as I hate Facebook, I literally cannot connect with any of my family without WhatsApp. Its convenient too as switching ecosystems is less of a pain in the ass.

It very much is a US problem as the chat platform that would fill the roll that Whatsapp uses in the US is iMessage and that's vendor locked to one platform.

If it's not the carriers having a say, it's going to be another company.

There has to be a universal protocol that works on every phone, regardless of where you are in the world and works with every network.

That's the biggest reason SMS has hung on for so long. It's 100% compatible with every carrier in the world. There's costs involved, but if I know a person's cell phone number, I can send them a SMS anywhere in the world from my phone.

Here in the US, it's the only messaging protocol that works on both iOS and Android right out of the box.

The issue with apps like FB Messenger, Whatsapps, Kakaotalk, etc is that you need an account to use them. That's going to be a massive limitation for a fully universal messaging platform.

Carriers are always going to have a say in something like this, after all, it's their networks that we're connecting to, whether it be a cellular based chat protocol like SMS or an IP based protocol like RCS, or the various internet based chat programs like Whatsapp.

Neither is SMS and that's a large portion of the point. IF they are going to fall back on something when NOT using iMessage, it could AT LEAST be RCS INSTEAD of SMS.

Is an all-internet solution better? Yeah, but if they're gonna use a lesser solution, they could do better than a technology that was archaic over a decade ago.

Exactly.

I don't think people realize just how old SMS is. It was developed in 1986. It was originally designed to only support 160 characters. It's been stretched way, way passed the point of it's original purpose.

Think about that. We're still using a messaging protocol that was developed when Ronald Regan was starting his second term in office.

That would be like still using VHS tapes today.

Plenty of reasons not to. It's competing with their solution.

It's actually not.

RCS isn't a replacement for iMessage, it's a replacement for SMS (which needed to be replaced a long as time ago).

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I think if you asked Apple, they'd say iMessage is the replacement for SMS.

It's not, because you can't send an iMessage to someone who doesn't have an Apple device.

SMS is universal, it works on every phone, regardless of the carrier. The issue is that it's horribly outdated.

RCS was designed to be a universal chat protocol that works on every carrier and has more modern features, that's it.

Jul 1, 2020
At no point is anyone asking Apple to give up iMessage. What's being asked is for Apple to replace SMS as the fallback for if an iMessage fails to go through, or is sent to a non-Apple device and use a more modern protocol.

That's it. iMessage will still be iMessage and work exactly the same.
The "Green bubble" discourse and generally poor experience when they are present is a core part of the peer pressure.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't disagree that Apple should support it, I have to imagine that if Apple has any response at all it will amount to "lol okay 🙄"

Regulators, on the other hand, maybe will push toward forcing adoption if it truly becomes a widely used standard. What is RCS adoption like in the EU?
None, as stated before P2P messaging is the Standard for 15 years and there is a reason why WeChat, Telegram or WhatsApp doesn't care at all that iMessage is a walled garden.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not really understanding the argument here.

Email identity VS. Carrier Idetity... Bruh people just want to send pics and videos.
So folks w/o carrier service can't share pictures? I can use iMessage on multiple devices w/o carrier service, works great.

Other than pictures and videos I'm not sure what problems RCS solves for end users, which is a big deal I concur. Its not encryption as that is not built into the standard and is app implementation specific.

Though I would find it funny to see Apple build an RCS implementation to sit under iMessage as a point to route around Google owning RCS.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nice to that everyone has to suffer with shitty messaging because of Apple's financials.
Google routes RCS through their own servers. If Apple support RCS officially via carrier implementation or their own, would things still fall back to SMS?

I know roaming is supposed to be a feature of RCS, but I have no idea if the implementation is suspect.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None, as stated before P2P messaging is the Standard for 15 years and there is a reason why WeChat, Telegram or WhatsApp doesn't care at all that iMessage is a walled garden.

I was referring more to carrier adoption, not so much end-user adoption, sorry for not being clear. It seems carriers have largely adopted it, but as you said end-users predominately use other apps like you listed.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Another thread about Americans being unable to download messenger apps like the rest of the world and then trying to fuck up everything for everyone else by forcing them to use their inferior solution, great.

Also, Google can shut the f up. They built like 20 different, competing messaging systems, threw them away, and now complain that their solution sucks. Guess who's responsible for that.
Running to the carriers is not the solution.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Apple today weaponizd their users in the US far before. The green bubbles have essentially been Apple's way to intuitively signal to even non-tech savvy people that the green bubbles are the cause of all your problems by using SMS and losing features.

I've totally had a completely lack of empathy from even friends and family members who are all Apple and refuse to use any other messaging app, which makes it even worse since I have poor cell service where I live and while regular SMS and calls are fine, group texts use data/MMS which mean I can't get them a lot of the time and I get blamed for it.

I can find an Android work around for every other problem that doesn't require me to buy an iPhone to fix but this is the one thing where I can't because it requires other people to use another app for group messaging so I'm the asshole because I just don't get an iPhone. in recent years, more people have started to use other apps for specific group chats with specific groups of people in my experience, but it hasn't changed how people group message with awkward large group texts that are fun for no one being the default.

Apple adopting RCS would really solve so many problems. They can keep iMessage functioning they way they want and other phone manufacturers can use a universal standard.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I think this is a US-centric problem with how prevalent iOS users in the US just prefer to use iMessage. I think repeated examinations keep pointing to the US being a region where iOS users tend to just prefer the OEM messaging there, whereas most regions outside of the US have far stronger preference for a range of third-party messaging options -- agnostic of their hardware choice, even.

That said, the root still is just Apple being Apple.
You say prefer as though iPhone users really have much choice in the matter or don't just go with whatever their device (iPhone, of course) uses. That's not preference. On anything running Android you're either running the stock app or... the stock app for your vendor (often Samsung) which is just another messaging app that resembles the standard Android Messages app and maybe has some extra features or customization or decides to break in its own fun ways. Watching some users around me have to go from the Samsung messaging app to the Android one was rather eye-opening in how people just don't give a rat's ass most of the time.
The vast, and I mean VAST, majority of people in the US have iPhones and use iMessage exclusively. Like you can't argue that people should just use WhatsApp or Signal when that ship has already sailed. Those apps have been around for years and gained no traction in the US.

The green bubble thing is absolutely real. And not even just kids being petty. I know a bunch of grown ass adults in their 30s and 40s who will exclude friends from group chats if they have an Android. Nobody wants the horribly compressed video or complaints about reactions coming through as additional texts.
Vast? 60% versus 40% (and that's being generous because it varies a bit year to year) is vast? No, you've got essentially half of the US cell phone population unable to communicate with other, all because their singular device and OS OEM has decided they want to use the stupidest thing to lock-in their users, because their users can't be bothered to spend a couple of minutes learning a new thing. I had to try really, really hard not to type sheep in there, somewhere, because I don't honestly believe it in the context its usually used, but...

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Apple should be "forced" to use Google's solution for RCS?

If you aren't, RCS as it stands now is a shit show between carries. A quick perusal indicates that US carriers do not universally support RCS yet. I'm looking at one who only offers RCS on certain postpaid plans only. So nothing on Mint, Cricket, or Visible.

Are you folks demanding that people stop using WhatsApp, Signal, ect? Because thats effectively what you are doing if you argue that only Google's RCS solution should be used. . .

and as a former user of several of Googles now retired messaging products. No Thank you.