• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Time to see how many people there are who can afford $60 games but somehow can't afford a system to play them on

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Time to see how many people there are who can afford $60 games but somehow can't afford a system to play them on

considering how many people don't bother buying a dedicated console till it gets $200 or under...or not at all...I'd say a lot.

what's the cheapest gaming machine available right now that can play games at full 1080p/60fps high settings?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's the advantage of the free tier for Stadia. You still have to buy Stadia specific games to use it, unless I'm missing something.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is dead in 2022.

It's hardly alive in 2020. I really don't think this free option is going to do much, the people who are curious about the service will try it out but there's not much they can do to keep any sort of momentum. We'll know more about the next gen consoles in a few months time.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
AakrjRb.png
Are you suggesting that people should expect a free platform for playing games should also provide free games for that platform? I would hope not too many people are that stupid.

Should, no of course not lol. Would/will though? Yeah there will definitely be a bunch. Spending any time in retail, or hell just around the interwebs in general will tell you that tbh. If it's marketed as a "free" gaming service but you actually have to pay to play anything then there'll definitely be some sore people belabouring the point. Hence why I'd say they're better veering away from selling/phrasing it too hard that way from the outset.

Never underestimate the stupidity that exists in abundance amongst the consuming public.

OP
OP
criteriondog

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's hardly alive in 2020. I really don't think this free option is going to do much, the people who are curious about the service will try it out but there's not much they can do to keep any sort of momentum. We'll know more about the next gen consoles in a few months time.
If Stadia is going to have a rough 2020, especially due to the new Xbox and PS5 launching, it's going to have an even worse 2021.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There are still big holes - namely an iOS app & crossplay for games like Destiny 2.

As soon as they have those, I will happily double dip on games to be able to stream them to my phone.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
A certain competitor has probably forced their hand to make it available sooner.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see what's the advantage of the free tier for Stadia. You still have to buy Stadia specific games to use it, unless I'm missing something.

The main use case I've seen is people who want to play those games but can't/won't invest in local hardware, or don't want to deal with the patching/downloading aspect. How big of a market that is remains to be seen.

There are still big holes - namely an iOS app & crossplay for games like Destiny 2.

As soon as they have those, I will happily double dip on games to be able to stream them to my phone.

I'm in a similar position where I'd be willing to double dip but only if I could have my saves. Cross-save is something I hope becomes more ubiquitous, otherwise I'll probably go with something like XCloud to share across Xbox.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
considering how many people don't bother buying a dedicated console till it gets $200 or under...or not at all...I'd say a lot.

what's the cheapest gaming machine available right now that can play games at full 1080p/60fps high settings?

current systems are at $200 or under
The pro models are even down to $300
They also have people to play multiplayer games with

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Without the free tier, when this thing goes from 200-300K (just a guesstimate, obviously) Pro subscribers to <20K in a few weeks (which would actually be a high conversation rate so it'll probably be even lower than that), I wonder what'll happen.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If it's not out before Pro subs start expiring, and Google doesn't do anything to extend people for free...

Enjoy another PR shitstorm Google.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I completely forget about Stadia's existence until I see it mentioned in threads here. Over and over again. It's got such little brand power and basically zero competitive advantages that I can't even be bothered to commit it to memory.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
So if you purchased games on stadia, and your pro membership expires before the free tier launches, can you play your games?
You can always play your purchased games, but only at the streaming quality tier your current sub allows for.

Similarly to PS+ and Xbox Live Gold, you can't play your "free" subscription games without a paid sub, but they're still attached to your account if you resubscribe.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018

It's no different than having to buy PS4 specific games for a PS4. The advantage to Stadia here is that you don't have to buy any special hardware, which is the whole point. Google has done a horrific job getting that message across though, and a lot of people still think Stadia is meant to to be some sort of subscription service.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It needed to come this month when Pro subs start expiring. Why is Google so incompetent?

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really interested in trying the free version, but after their shitty launch, I just can't bring myself to purchase any games locked to Stadia.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Does Google have any more exclusive games announced?

Maybe they're waiting for those before any Stadia platform announcements... They had bought like 4 studios right?

And what about f2p games on the free tier?

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
You can always play your purchased games, but only at the streaming quality tier your current sub allows for.

Similarly to PS+ and Xbox Live Gold, you can't play your "free" subscription games without a paid sub, but they're still attached to your account if you resubscribe.
I think the question was more in the vein of, given that there's no "free" tier yet available to public, will people with lapsed subs be able to access their purchased things, despite not being subscribed.

Which i believe we have not had a case example because this is a scenario that will only be known once the first pro sub expires.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Selling the only way to experience Stadia through a $130 USD buy in when the entire selling point is the experience is still the most boneheaded move. Judging by their radio silence and response they finally gave to game releases, they must have really thought Stadia would be an instant hit that could be carried by momentum.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Just use GeForce now, at least Nvidia bothered to test their services before they launched it. Let stadia and it's terrible business model die.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think the question was more in the vein of, given that there's no "free" tier yet available to public, will people with lapsed subs be able to access their purchased things, despite not being subscribed.

Which i believe we have not had a case example because this is a scenario that will only be known once the first pro sub expires.
Oh, I follow! It does seem like there's going to be a slight gap there, huh? Hopefully it's not too long.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
free tier + Destiny 2's F2P version is the jolt this service needs. if they can get that part right, without making free users wait for server queues, or without requiring F2P Destiny 2 players to spend a penny to log in, they might be able to claw their way back. "Oh, this runs smoothly? Cool. That's proof that I can buy a game or two and stick with Stadia."

in the meantime, anybody left in the Founders pool waiting for new co-op/versus players for that long... woof.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
free tier + Destiny 2's F2P version is the jolt this service needs. if they can get that part right, without making free users wait for server queues, or without requiring F2P Destiny 2 players to spend a penny to log in, they might be able to claw their way back. "Oh, this runs smoothly? Cool. That's proof that I can buy a game or two and stick with Stadia."

in the meantime, anybody left in the Founders pool waiting for new co-op/versus players for that long... woof.
I still wish Google would have a definitive answer to the free to play question. I remember legitimately wondering around launch if F2P games were going to be available on the service, but a lot of answers seemed to be vague/dance around it. I think the best way to get people to try the service and believe in the service is via F2P games that allow people a foot in the door and try it for themselves.

Destiny 2 new light should definitely be a start but I also think they should work toward getting other games on the service too. Fortnite, Warframe, would be massive gets if they can actually get them.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
current systems are at $200 or under
The pro models are even down to $300
They also have people to play multiplayer games with

that's like asking why more people aren't buying CD players and blu Ray players. hey you can get one under $200!

This is kind of the wrong place to try and convince people about a service to circumvent buying dedicated hardware....this place is full of people who buy tvs for gaming and buy gaming hardware every few years (or more) and buy 5+ games a year.

You are telling someone who doesn't even own a tv to go out and buy a ps4 pro? lol

Stadia games can be bought over youtube. Most people today who use YouTube aren't using it on a tv...how easy it to play your ps4 pro away from the tv?

that $200 can buy 3-4 games instead of wasting it on the hardware. Most console gamers only buy 1-2 games a year on average. We are talking about people who only want to play a couple of games and you are saying they should invest in a PlayStation

the idea behind Stadia, and others like it, is to grow the pc/console gaming market. To reach those people who rarely spend a bunch of money on dedicated hardware (or never). Yes, hopefully to convince current core console gamers to dabble in the other ecosystem, but they aren't desperately trying for that.

there is absolute value in offering a way for people to videogame without having to buy hardware. Without even having to have a tv.

Not sure why people are so quick to ridicule or dismiss this concept

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
that's like asking why more people aren't buying CD players and blu Ray players. hey you can get one under $200!

This is kind of the wrong place to try and convince people about a service to circumvent buying dedicated hardware....this place is full of people who buy tvs for gaming and buy gaming hardware every few years (or more) and buy 5+ games a year.

You are telling someone who doesn't even own a tv to go out and buy a ps4 pro? lol

Stadia games can be bought over youtube. Most people today who use YouTube aren't using it on a tv...how easy it to play your ps4 pro away from the tv?

that $200 can buy 3-4 games instead of wasting it on the hardware. Most console gamers only buy 1-2 games a year on average. We are talking about people who only want to play a couple of games and you are saying they should invest in a PlayStation

the idea behind Stadia, and others like it, is to grow the pc/console gaming market. To reach those people who rarely spend a bunch of money on dedicated hardware (or never). Yes, hopefully to convince current core console gamers to dabble in the other ecosystem, but they aren't desperately trying for that.

there is absolute value in offering a way for people to videogame without having to buy hardware. Without even having to have a tv.

Not sure why people are so quick to ridicule or dismiss this concept

I just think almost every other streaming option is better for those people

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Those very same people can pay way less money for Steam versions and have thousands of more titles to choose from for their collection.

They'd also have other people to play with.

I would imagine community numbers will increase when you have the free version available *shrugs*

I also imagine that anyone who cares that much about a large, online multiplayer community when gaming already has a gaming pc....so....

it's silly to look at Stadia/gforcenow/XCloud in the lens of how well they will convince a pc/Xbox/playstaion owner to throw away their hardware and move to cloud gaming. The short term goal of cloud gaming has nothing to do with that.

As for Stadia being able to survive with all the other services...yea who knows. Amazon streaming seems to have existed just fine despite the Netflix model

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
I just think almost every other streaming option is better for those people

Depends.

for Gforce Now and XCloud you still have to buy the games as well, ya know.

in the end, content and convenience wins in the streaming space. See a game ad or streaming on YouTube click a button, start playing it...vs getting into the Steam ecosystem and download games..? Could go either way.

I do agree the biggest danger for Stadia is current lack of content, but I expect that to change by the time the free version launches, who knows.

But Stadia as a concept is valid and sound.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
That's the moment that truly matters. Anyone who bought Stadia before was basically just a beta tester. Could imagine them doing a show maybe at e3 and then just shadow dropping it.

At that point I would be tempted to give it a try.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely curious to know if the f2p version of Destiny 2 that is on literally every other platform will be available on this.
I'd be very disappointed if it's not but I have a feeling that it won't be

. I kind of wish that if you were a Founder that you got to keep D2 regardless, since, ya know, I paid for the whole thing up front, but I can understand why not, too.
I can't honestly it was promised to come with the founders edition and now it probably requires a sub instead of just being included for founders.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Depends.

in the end, content and convenience wins in the streaming space. See a game ad or streaming on YouTube click a button, start playing it...vs getting into the Steam ecosystem and download games..? Could go either way.

I do agree the biggest danger for Stadia is current lack of content, but I expect that to change by the time the free version launches, who knows.

But Stadia as a concept is valid and sound.

yeah i have nothing against the concept
steam through GeForce now is infinitely better for game variety game prices and player base
And I am confident x cloud will just be part of game pass ultimate and is light years ahead for becoming the "Netflix of video games"

YouTube integration is definitely a big deal but I think price beats advertising

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'd be very disappointed if it's not but I have a feeling that it won't be

I can't honestly it was promised to come with the founders edition and now it probably requires a sub instead of just being included for founders.
They've said already that it's tied to Pro. It's probably one of the few, if not the only game, that will remain so, but it felt kind of weird when they said that Founder's edition get this and that, but keeping D2 regardless of tier was mysteriously not part of that.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've said already that it's tied to Pro. It's probably one of the few, if not the only game, that will remain so, but it felt kind of weird when they said that Founder's edition get this and that, but keeping D2 regardless of tier was mysteriously not part of that.
okay, it's pretty shitty because if any game should be for founders with how they announced it separately from the pro sub, it should be destiny. The other pro free games are understandable to keep with the sub. I guess we will see if they handle the f2p portion at all.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
When Xcloud gets released, the plan is for it to work with Game Pass, so a subscription service will give you access to hundreds of games.

The same is already true for PlayStation Now - for half the annual cost of a Stadia subscription (or, put another way, for the cost of one full-price game per year), you get access to hundreds of games.

With GeForce Now, you're absolutely correct that you get no games as part of the package, and Nvidia aren't even trying to sell those games to you, so it's kind of a BYOG service. However, it's not too difficult to accumulate a PC games library almost by accident. I barely ever buy PC games and yet there's almost a hundred games on my Steam account and another dozen or so on Epic's store. I think some on Origin and UPlay as well. GeForce Now also supports some free-to-play games. It's a different ownership model to Stadia and personal circumstances may vary significantly, but a lot of people might find themselves in a position where they can stream more games on GeForce Now, today, without buying anything, than there are games on Stadia to purchase.

There may be instances where people find Stadia is good value. If they're only interested in one game, for example - Stadia will allow them to buy the game individually and (we expect) play it without limitations and without a subscription. However for anyone looking to play a somewhat wider selection of games, there is every chance that doing that on Stadia would cost them more than on any other competing streaming service.

When do you expect the free version to launch then? If it's any time soon, you appear to be expecting a sudden glut of Stadia announcements and releases.