• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an opportunity for Apex legends to get in on the android market before Epic

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I have to wonder if they actually weighed the pros and cons of telling people to jailbreak their iPhones to sideload Fortnite.

Haha. They would lose a hell of a lot more than 30% revenue if they tried that.

Excuse me? What I'm saying is directly applicable to the mobile situation at hand, I haven't mentioned steam once. If your mind happens to go there because this isn't consistent behavior, that's not on me.

LOL.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing. It's shocking that Android and Apple still charge 30% to developers. An exemption for Fortnite could have been the start of a better deal for everyone.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
If they sold a V Bucks card at say Walmart or something. They still need to pay Walmart a cut right ?

Why is this different ?
People forget this about Steam.

Trying to bully Google didn't work lol

That's disappointing. It's shocking that Android and Apple still charge 30% to developers. An exemption for Fortnite could have been the start of a better deal for everyone.
Yes, because supporting the app stores is free, right?

Basically, what you're saying is let Epic have the special rate, and it will "trickle down" to the other devs?

Lol no.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fortnite is free to play. They don't charge 30% to host the game, they charge 0%. This is for IAP, which not all players take advantage of. You're saying that 30% of only a fraction of the players who use their hosting services is unreasonable? Serving content is expensive. It's why only a few, giant corporations do so, because they can bare the brunt of the cost, with expectations that they'll make it up in some other way.

Keep in mind, fortnite mobile has in-game advertising, which is a major source of revenue for epic. Google takes 0% of that money.

In the gillette razor blade model, gillette gave away razors for free because distribution was very valuable to them. Hence, they'd pay the USPS to courier their razorblades for them. The gillette razorblade model doesn't consider USPS charging for their delivery service to be a rip off, rather they consider that part of the equation vital. You're shocked a service that makes it's money by hosting and serving content... is asking to be paid for their service?

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
People forget this about Steam.

Trying to bully Google didn't work lol

Yea why go for the biggest one , if Epic starts getting special treatment thats going to lead to other major app companies asking for concessions. They coulda tried pulling this deal with Sony or MS ( or maybe they possible already have ).

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why ain't they walking the talk and pull Fortnite off every stores like consoles and iphone that ask for 30% cut? hmm.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like this is an enormous mistake on Epic's behalf. Just by the pure exposure given by the Play Store, I have to think they'd easily make up for Google's 30% cut and then some. Certainly would be better than telling Android users to work around the store.

It's the exact same situation as these developers complaining about Steam on PC. Sure, you can take your game somewhere else for a storefront with a lower cut, but you're going to sell more and make more on Steam.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a large audience for a store is well worth the money, then.

I think the difference is you can sell games on pc without Steam, but you really can't on iOS without Apple. Apple is more like consoles in that respect. If there was a way to bypass iOS that would still generate similar revenue, you can be sure they would do it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yea why go for the biggest one , if Epic starts getting special treatment thats going to lead to other major app companies asking for concessions. They coulda tried pulling this deal with Sony or MS ( or maybe they possible already have ).
Epic already abuses the "early access" title to not pay QA fees

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
gonna assume that Epic said 0% cut as a means to set the bar really low so that they could then negotiate a reduced cut for the Google Playstore. My read on that probably isn't right but I assume that's the plan. Because anything else wouldn't make sense I feel lol.

also good luck with getting anything other than 30% Epic. I don't think Google is gonna be flexible about this haha

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the difference is you can sell games on pc without Steam, but you really can't on iOS without Apple. Apple is more like consoles in that respect. If there was a way to bypass iOS that would still generate similar revenue, you can be sure they would do it.

mmhmm, sounds like it's a very good thing from a developer's perspective that there are avenues to readily and easily put out their games where the public can reach them. Sounds like a really sound argument against walled gardens. Almost like having an entity that chooses and picks which games a user can access is a really bad thing for small developers.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
mmhmm, sounds like it's a very good thing from a developer's perspective that there are avenues to readily and easily put out their games where the public can reach them. Sounds like a really sound argument against walled gardens. Almost like having an entity that chooses and picks which games a user can access is a really bad thing for small developers.
For lake of a better word. I really like this tea here lmao

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

that might be the case if the stores selling games on open platforms weren't demanding the same cut as the walled gardens. That's why they are getting circumvented.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that might be the case if the stores selling games on open platforms weren't demanding the same cut as the walled gardens. That's why they are getting circumvented.

Because it costs less money to serve content on an open platform than a walled garden?

Also, keep in mind, this is a FREE TO PLAY GAME. Nobody is selling games here. This is about IAP. The "cut" of the sale is 100% of $0.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what's funnier: the fact that Epic thought they could bully Google into giving them a special deal, or the baloney Epic subsequently spouted about how they weren't trying to get a special deal.
I wouldn't call it bullying. They simply asked and applied for an exemption through the proper channels. Or am I missing something here

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Because it costs less money to serve content on an open platform than a walled garden?

Also, keep in mind, this is a FREE TO PLAY GAME. Nobody is selling games here. This is about IAP. The "cut" of the sale is 100% of $0.

It can certainly be argued that the walled gardens charging more are somewhat justified in that they have to subsidize the development costs of new consoles/phones That are sold for little to no profit and must make their money elsewhere to be worth it.

Even if you reject that argument, it doesn't much matter if it's right, its their platform and you have to do business on their terms if you want to do business. Open platforms don't have that. You can still release games on the platform without using those stores.

And of course fortnight is free to play. I'm pretty sure everyone posting here knows that, so there's really no need to shout ;) Epic is making all of their money on the in app purchases. I dont see how that makes any difference at all. They want a bigger cut of the money from their game. Which we would all agree with if it was our company.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic is making all of their money on the in app purchases.

No, that's only a fraction of the money they earn from fortnite. Fortnite itself is one of the biggest advertising platforms on the planet currently, there have been multiple advertising industry articles about it as a platform. They make money even when they earn 0% of their IAP. Fortnite as an advertising platform is where they make a ton of money, and the serving host sees not a dime of it (rightfully so).

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's only a fraction of the money they earn from fortnite. Fortnite itself is one of the biggest advertising platforms on the planet currently, there have been multiple advertising industry articles about it as a platform. They make money even when they earn 0% of their IAP. Fortnite as an advertising platform is where they make a ton of money, and the serving host sees not a dime of it (rightfully so).

most of their money comes from ads? Do you have a link for that? I'm having trouble finding that.

'Fortnite's revenue comes entirely from microtransactions.'

'With Battle Royale offered as a free to play game, and with no ads in sight, many players have been left wondering how Epic Games makes money from it.'

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/13/fortnite-make-money-7383431/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised to see people jumping to the defense of closed-platforms here.

Epic can always release their game outside of the store if they're not satisfied, but they probably see the value in its audience. At least they have a choice on Android.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
most of their money comes from ads? Do you have a link for that? I'm having trouble finding that.

I never said most, I said a ton, and they do.

The CFO was a big shot in advertising working for huge brands (and ironically google before he left for my company). He shows me articles behind paywalls, fortnite is HUGE in advertising currently.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I never said most, I said a ton, and they do.

The CFO was a big shot in advertising working for huge brands (and ironically google before he left for my company). He shows me articles behind paywalls, fortnite is HUGE in advertising currently.

Yes you did, you said.

No, that's only a fraction of the money they earn from fortnite

But fine, if you're backing off that, then we are in agreement. Most of their money comes from IAP. So it's very much in their best interest to try to get the store owners cut of that as low as possible.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes you did, you said.

But fine, if you're backing off that, then we are in agreement. Most of their money comes from IAP. So it's very much in their best interest to try to get the store owners cut of that as low as possible.

A fraction != a minority, a fraction simply means it's not the totality, hence said in reply to your claim that they made all their money (i.e. Not a fraction) from IAP.

I'm not backing off anything, you misread my post.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A fraction != a minority, a fraction simply means it's not the totality, hence said in reply to your claim that they made all their money (i.e. Not a fraction) from IAP.

I'm not backing off anything, you misread my post.
He didn't, "a fraction" is usually used to refer to a small amount of something.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Fortnite clearly doesn't need the Play Store to be the phenomenon it is, so maybe Google should be inclined to accept whatever deal is being offered. Content is king, IMO.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't, "a fraction" is usually used to refer to a small amount of something.

You must have been absolutely awful at math if this is what you think. 9/10 is a fraction. A fraction literally means any ratio that is not a whole.

And yes, if he's taking a colloquial reading of my post instead of the definitive and intended meaning, he, in the most literal sense, misread my post.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You must have been absolutely awful at math if this is what you think. 9/10 is a fraction. A fraction literally means any ratio that is not a whole.

And yes, if he's taking a colloquial reading of my post instead of the definitive and intended meaning, he, in the most literal sense, misread my post.
Go read a dictionary

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go read a dictionary

frac·tion
/ˈfrakSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: fraction; plural noun: fractions; noun: Fraction; noun: the Fraction
  1. a numerical quantity that is not a whole number (e.g. 1/2, 0.5)
Which, is pretty evident what I meant, given I highlighted that I replied to:

"Epic is making all of their money on the in app purchases."

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
frac·tion
/ˈfrakSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: fraction; plural noun: fractions; noun: Fraction; noun: the Fraction
  1. a numerical quantity that is not a whole number (e.g. 1/2, 0.5)
Which, is pretty evident what I meant, given I highlighted that I replied to:

"Epic is making all of their money on the in app purchases."
lol

Screenshot-20191210-044053-Firefox.jpg

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
It is strange that Epic is pushing google store on this. If I am not mistaken they only sell digital goods as the game is free correct?

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

'Fortnite's revenue comes entirely from microtransactions.'

'With Battle Royale offered as a free to play game, and with no ads in sight, many players have been left wondering how Epic Games makes money from it.'

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/13/fortnite-make-money-7383431/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

No offense meant, but...why would you assume that the information in a 21-month-old news article about a popular mobile game is still true? 21 months is an eternity in the mobile market.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
It's also worth mentioning the specific use of "only," which as a modifier, is absolutely meant to imply a minority amount.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Nor should they. It's really is microcosm of capitalism, where the one company expecting to get the help of lesser cut is the one least needing it. Rich getting richer and all that.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there wasn't some advantage to a walled garden then Epic wouldn't be trying to weasel its way into Google's walled garden.

The advantage isn't in the walled garden. The advantage is in hitting as many potential customers as possible. Epic are demonstrating that hitting a wide audience through multiple store fronts is much, much prefered to selling your title to a fraction of the total user base. They are, in essence, rejecting exclusivity because the more potential customers you can reach, the more actual customers you yield. That they are "trying to weasle" into google's walled garden is proof that the best strategy is blanket coverage, not exclusivity.

Which has always been obvious. When you sell your products on multiple stores, you hit multiple types of customers.

They are also demonstrating that by missing the most popular storefront on a major platform, your sales are not nearly what they would be even when you technically release in the same space. People on android can already play fortnite, but clearly the number of people who will jump through the hoops to do so instead of going through the established market leader on that platform is smaller than they'd like.

All these are very good arguments and I applaud epic for laying it out like this. Great demonstration.