• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/...ory-innovation-centers-technology-hub-no-news

It was summer in Wisconsin, and Foxconn seemed to be everywhere. But also: nowhere at all.

Starting last June, officials with the Taiwanese tech manufacturing giant began popping up in all corners of the state and announcing new projects. It had been almost a year since then-Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) offered the company a subsidy package that came to total $4.5 billion. Both Walker, who was in the midst of a reelection campaign, and Foxconn, which had just confirmed that it would build a far smaller factory than it had initially promised, seemed eager to make a good impression.

First, there was Louis Woo, special assistant to Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, announcing a new headquarters and "innovation center" in Milwaukee. Days later, Gou was standing in a field 40 minutes south in Mount Pleasant, digging gold shovels into the dirt with Walker, Paul Ryan, and President Trump, who declared Foxconn's factory the "eighth wonder of the world." Then it was off to Green Bay, where Foxconn announced another innovation center, and then Eau Claire, where Foxconn announced two more — a full "technology hub."

Such statements have not been particularly reassuring to residents of Wisconsin, where state and local governments have already taken very concrete actions to prepare the way for what was supposed to be an enormous manufacturing facility. Taxpayers have already spent more than $300 million on roadwork, infrastructure, and land acquisition related to the project. In August, Moody's downgraded Mount Pleasant's credit rating over the extreme levels of debt it took on for the area's $763 million incentive package, costs that have since grown closer to a billion, in part because it had to take out higher interest long-term loans after Foxconn's plans changed. Dozens of residents have been relocated, some under threat of eminent domain.

Great long form read, the complete scam of this won't be unfolded for years

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Read this yesterday and it's so clear this whole thing was a fucking scam. Republicans gave them so much for nothing. Even if they did what they said the deal was insanity, but they absolutely won't.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No money actually changed hands though right? The incentives are probably tax breaks. Any money spent so far seems to be on infrastructure.

Who is the scam helping, GCs?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
No money actually changed hands though right? The incentives are probably tax breaks. Any money spent so far seems to be on infrastructure.

Everyone has a theory but the writer of the article I think has the closes. It was PR bullshit that blew up

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

There's literally financial impact in the OP to the taxpayers in Wisconsin. In addition to the people that had to give up land

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's literally financial impact in the OP to the taxpayers in Wisconsin. In addition to the people that had to give up land
Well yes, but for a scam to be worth doing at this level, presumably the people doing the scam are profiting off of it and not just doing it for the lols and to waste tax payer money.

The most obvious profit to me was short term good press but that seems like it will backfire pretty bad in Wisconsin.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't been following it that closely, but it sounds like there's been a bunch of political reorganization and infrastructure financed on the assumption of massive incoming development. Best case scenario, that infrastructure is still useful and can attract investment if/when Foxconn underdelivers; worse case scenario you displaced a bunch of residents to build roads to nowhere...

But yeah it seems to have been motivated entirely by publicity, which is bonkers? The only other thing I could imagine is that it's a scheme for funneling money to particular well-connected contractors.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Remember, in a late hour power grab, the GOP legislature in Wisconsin handcuffed the then incoming, newly elected Dem Governor from tackling this FoxxConn quagmire.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes, but for a scam to be worth doing at this level, presumably the people doing the scam are profiting off of it and not just doing it for the lols and to waste tax payer money.

The most obvious profit to me was short term good press but that seems like it will backfire pretty bad in Wisconsin.
You could read the article. It talks about how one of the things this scam is for is to win trumps good will during the trade war while not actually doing anything

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

Everyone has a theory but the writer of the article I think has the closes. It was PR bullshit that blew up
It seems like an effort to curry favor with Trump/Republicans. Foxconn tossed out the bait of "manufacturing jobs!" and Wisconsin Republicans bit hard. And while I don't think Trump was actually involved in setting up this deal at all (Foxconn approached Wisconsin and municipalities like Mount Pleasant), Foxconn's chairman Gou announced the deal at a White House press conference, and Trump showed up for the groundbreaking in Wisconsin. Trump's got skin in the game now - when Foxconn said earlier this year that they may not end up building a factory after all, Gou got a personal phone call from Trump and reversed their position within a day. I don't know if Trump and Gou reached any particular agreements themselves, but Trump's personally invested in the success (real or potential) of this factory, given his personal involvement in its announcement.

As the article suggests, it sounds like they're going to keep stringing things along like this until after the 2020 election. If it all comes crashing down, it looks bad for Wisconsin officials involved in securing these deals, and Trump for promoting them, so it's in Foxconn's best interest to at least pretend that everything's still on track. They have the ear of the president after all. (The ease with which corporate leaders and foreign strongmen have been able to ply Trump with promises and flattery is another, broader concern.)

The article mentions a similar process of big investments from Foxconn that never panned out, but most state/local governments didn't go as hard as Wisconsin did.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could read the article. It talks about how one of the things this scam is for is to win trumps good will during the trade war while not actually doing anything

Some of us are bad at parsing through an extremely long and confusing article about a very long and confusing boondoggle and would like to discuss with others to help clear up the confusion.

Telling someone to just read the article is hardly conducive to good discussion especially in this situation. Different levels of intelligence exist.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
corporations and the GOP coming together to make lives worse for everyone :)

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Oddly enough, I just had a recruiter reach out to me asking if I'd be interested in working there.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yep lives have already been upended, taxpayer funds spent, high interest loans taken out that will impact the state for decades... for what, a PR bump that lasted a single news cycle?

No one in this picture should escape this embarrassment.

29dcTrump-sub-articleLarge.jpg

Now we'll see if the media and Dems do their jobs correctly. If Republicans can still trot out the Solyndra "scandal" for ammunition against green energy and Obama, then I think Dems can be smart enough to use this in many many ways.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
1. Announce plans to create jobs. Do some PR.
2. Next election: blame Democrats for killing the deal.

It's quite brilliant, actually, once you realize the audience you're playing to. It cost them nothing; every cent was paid for by the people they are scamming. And I have little doubt that plenty of the money spent to date was misdirected into the pockets of the GOP and its supporters.

The only flaw is that Wisconsin is a swing state, not a red one; there might be enough people who don't buy it. Let's hope so.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Some of us are bad at parsing through an extremely long and confusing article about a very long and confusing boondoggle and would like to discuss with others to help clear up the confusion.

Telling someone to just read the article is hardly conducive to good discussion especially in this situation. Different levels of intelligence exist.
I was pointing out that the article literally talks about your question numerous times. You don't have to get pissy over it. It's not exactly conductive of good discussion to not bother to read the OP and not bother to read what the article is about.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the winners are whoever (whomever?) gets the roadwork contracts and vacant land Foxconn freed up that they'll be selling for cheap to get anything on it.

All of whom will be friends with (or have investments by) the politicians that created this mess.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
the Last bit of the article where the writer speculates what foxconn was after is spot on. The Wisconsin GOP are just fucking morons and got a dupee by a company famous for announcing the factory equivalent of vaporware.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Follow-up:

Foxconn says empty buildings in Wisconsin are not empty | While announcing another empty building (The Verge)

Foxconn to buy BMO Harris Bank building on Capitol Square (Wisconsin State Journal)

Basically they said "Nuh uh!" to the article's claims and bought another building (in Madison) that's currently occupied by a bank (which will now lease their space from Foxconn). No details except they'll have some unspecified number of Foxconn employees in by the end of the year.
"So you will see a lot more coming in the next months, the next year or so," Yeung said. "I can assure you it will not be empty and they're not empty right now."

See what had happen was...

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me so strongly of the Solarcity Gigafactory in Buffalo.

More and more I feel NYC residents did the right thing showing Amazon the door.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Follow-up:

Foxconn says empty buildings in Wisconsin are not empty | While announcing another empty building (The Verge)

Foxconn to buy BMO Harris Bank building on Capitol Square (Wisconsin State Journal)

Basically they said "Nuh uh!" to the article's claims and bought another building (in Madison) that's currently occupied by a bank (which will now lease their space from Foxconn). No details except they'll have some unspecified number of Foxconn employees in by the end of the year.
Literally 1 West Main Street.

Directly across the street from the Capitol Square. Where they can keep eye on things.

Oct 25, 2017
So if Foxconn isn't actually going to build shit then what's the point? I understand bailing out or downsizing if it doesn't make economic sense but surely they have to be doing more than pissing away money?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up 30 minutes from Mount Pleasant and who still has a ton of friends and family in the area I'm honestly just still tremendously relieved that this is all falling apart. The taxpayer waste is atrocious, but the environmental impact of the actual manufacturing plant was going to be so much worse. Thank god they won't be able to actually stat pumping chemicals into the water

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this feels like a money laundering scam lol

I still don't have much faith in this state unless progressivism takes hold in the state again.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
What is up with the council President guy from the Reply All episode? Is he still president? Scumbag.