• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Wow... that slack message about accountability is like... SUPER condescending. I would have responded saying that I am going to return the favor of teaching her about the career skill of accountability by quitting. And she is now accountable for figuring out how to fill the void my sudden and unexpected absence has created.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand companies like this. Everything is a "movement" or some "experience". Motherfucker you sell luggage. All of those slack screenshots by Korey make me extremely mad. Can't imagine staying on to work for someone like that.

Lol my thoughts exactly. They are not a tech company because they put a fucking battery in a suitcase.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the CEO needed to be reprimanded herself over "her management and conduct":

On Friday, CNBC received a statement from Korey, which the network's SF bureau chief Sally Shin tweeted. "I am sincerely sorry for what I said and how I said it," it read. "It was wrong, plain and simple. We want Away to be a company that sets the highest standards for how we treat our employees and help them grow. Over the last 12 months we've invested in creating a culture that allows our people to thrive, including executive coaching for the senior staff, diversity and inclusion training for everyone at the company, 360 reviews, establishing employee resource groups and adding 100 plus new team members to better divide workloads. I am working to be better every day and I promise to keep at it for the sake of our employees, our customers and our company."

Some former Away employees said they are unsatisfied with her response. "It's not like this was the first time she's needed reprimanding for her management and conduct," one former worker told The Verge. "She knows exactly who she's hurt, and to just issue a ho-hum blanket apology now to the public, feels like it was done just to save face and slow down order returns that are coming in. It's not right."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Also an Away VC tried to defend the company...and hid most of the replies.

She's willing to do whatever it takes, including running a sweatshop and pressuring employees. But from the stance of a VC, that's gold as long as it doesn't trickle out and hurt perception.

Also, where's the accountability for her? Oh, she's "working to be better every day."

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gal makes C. Montgomery Burns look like boss of the year.

Been passing this article all around today, people are horrified at this behavior.

Oct 27, 2017
That was quite a long read, the manipulative ways that everything was worded to employees sticks out so much. And theres a huge difference between working hard and trying to uphold your companies values versus knowingly manipulating your vulnerable employees and taking advantage of them because you know you can.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

Article says Korey is going to stay on as executive chairman, meaning the leader of the board of directors and one of the main duties of an executive chairman is "actively coaching and guiding the CEO."

This is a corporate shuffle because of bad press and will probably just result in a meet the new boss, same as the old boss situation.