• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

xcloudpcwindows10_3.jpg

Microsoft has started testing its Project xCloud game streaming service for Windows 10 PCs this week. The software giant is making the preview version available to all Microsoft employees, and The Verge has been able to obtain exclusive screenshots of how xCloud will work on PCs.

There are a variety of games available to Microsoft employees to test, but the app is currently limited to 720p streams for now. "This internal preview is running at 720p resolution with 1080p just around the corner," reveals an internal Microsoft support note.

Microsoft also recently upgraded its xCloud server blades to include eight Xbox One S consoles in a single server instance. That's up from the four the company was previously testing.

Microsoft is now working to eventually transition these xCloud servers to the Xbox Series X processor. This next-gen processor is far more powerful and capable of running four Xbox One S game sessions simultaneously on a single chip. It also includes a new built-in video encoder that is up to six times faster than the current external encoder that Microsoft uses on existing xCloud servers.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

There are a variety of games available to Microsoft employees to test, but the app is currently limited to 720p streams for now. "This internal preview is running at 720p resolution with 1080p just around the corner," reveals an internal Microsoft support note.

The experience is very similar to what is available on Android and iOS, even down to the user interface and the way you access and stream games. It certainly looks ready to be tested broadly, and it's likely that Microsoft will roll this out to external Xbox testers soon.
www.theverge.com

A first look at Microsoft’s xCloud game streaming service for Windows PCs

An internal-only preview has started at Microsoft

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I'm just waiting for the service to launch in Australia. Given out internet though, I think it'll be a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw Jump In tagline fits perfect for XCloud btw. And then Power your Dreams for consoles

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I've been LOVING GE Force Now. If this works as well for Game Pass games, it will be amazing!

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Stadia am cry. Here comes Microsoft to tear them a new one.

I can't wait to test it on PC. It worked really well on android.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Neat, although I think at the moment xbox 360 and original xbox games are not part of the xCloud test program. Hopefully they add those soon. I'd expect those old exclusive to console titles are what most people will want out of this service on pc.

Also, hopefully any games that have m/k on Xbox One will eventually work with that input through xcloud on pc.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest news here is that they are working on converting their sever blades to Series X units.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hope this gets stable enough that I can play titles at 1080p next year.

I never cared about MS's output, but if they iron their streaming service and couple it with GamePass, I'm sure soon or later their new studios will put out something I'll be more than willing to try!

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest news here is that they are working on converting their sever blades to Series X units.
We knew that already tho. :)

Xbox Series X proccesor will be used for xCloud and will replace Xbox One S-based xCloud models

Thought this was pretty interesting. As it was though Lockhart might be used. And some good extra details also. The exact same Series X processor is used in the Project Scarlett cloud servers that'll replace the Xbox One S-based xCloud models currenly being used. For this purpose, AMD built...

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
We knew that already tho. :)

Xbox Series X proccesor will be used for xCloud and will replace Xbox One S-based xCloud models

Thought this was pretty interesting. As it was though Lockhart might be used. And some good extra details also. The exact same Series X processor is used in the Project Scarlett cloud servers that'll replace the Xbox One S-based xCloud models currenly being used. For this purpose, AMD built...
Did not realize! Thanks.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Its literally says 1080p arround the corner. And 4K isnt really the plan for xCloud.
Around the corner is unespecífic. When arrives, great ,we will celebrate. No 4k option is a bit disappointing especially if not planned when XSX releases.
So far, still in the same ballpark as psnow and behind stadia resolution wise. Yet not available commercially.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Around the corner is unespecífic. When arrives, great ,we will celebrate. No 4k option is a bit disappointing especially if not planned when XSX releases.
So far, still in the same ballpark as psnow and behind stadia resolution wise. Yet not available commercially.
MS going really fast with xCloud. So when it says its arround the corner it will. Also again 4K isnt the target. As MS has said many times a home console or PC is a better option for that.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The bolded is probably one of the reasons for not yet being available commercially.
Sure. I wish it was already available to test it even at 720p despite not being awesome, it's serviceable. But they seem to be taking their time, which is good, but at the same time from their PR it seems that they are already there, but they're not.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So 720p... It is fine, but so far from 4K yet.
Yeah why exactly is it that low?
Geforce Now is doing 1080p 60fps with 13ms latency perfectly fine at my place, Stadia can even do higher than that, both services have very little streaming issues. MS needs to step up their game here.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Geforce Now is doing 1080p 60fps with 13ms latency perfectly fine at my place, Stadia can even do higher than that, both services have very little streaming issues. MS needs to step up their game here.
xCloud isnt even out. Its coming when its still in preview.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's right there in the OP.

"This internal preview is running at 720p resolution with 1080p just around the corner," reveals an internal Microsoft support note."

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I'm looking forward to this. Runs petty well on my Pixel 4, but these games just aren't formatted to work on a small screen. Just too annoying to adequately test. Using a decent sized screen would really help to see if it's a long term alternative.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

1. The article (and snippet in the OP) clearly says 1080p is coming soon.

2. Bit weird to demand they step up their game when the program won't be launching for many months, and the beta period is completely free.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Nice feature but no real infrastructure talk which should matter the most for a service like this.

Streaming is great if you have the right gear and a decent routing with however you get internet access.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nice feature but no real infrastructure talk which should matter the most for a service like this.

Streaming is great if you have the right gear and a decent routing with however you get internet access.
Why would The Verge about infrastructure talk in this article. They are just giving a early look at xClould for PC.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Why would The Verge about infrastructure talk in this article. They are just giving a early look at xClould for PC.

They did so talking aboutf the amount of instances the server can hold. they opened the door and they are tech oriented last time I checked.

More meat would be nice.

UI details were nice but the rest a little paltry.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They are smart and still using the beta tag that Stadia should have done from the onset.

Love all of the services, my biggest gripe for xCloud is technically phone only (I did install on a Mibox) which this article addresses and you have the inherit issues of a console : lower frame rates and longer loading speeds.

Stadia is by far the most technically functional and the load times are insane.

GFN is very versatile but it's stability is subpar on any device for me outside of my PC

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't get that tweet. "You can bet it'll be available to Xbox testers soon."? Xbox testers have had it for over a year.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They are smart and still using the beta tag that Stadia should have done from the onset.

Love all of the services, my biggest gripe for xCloud is technically phone only (I did install on a Mibox) which this article addresses and you have the inherit issues of a console : lower frame rates and longer loading speeds.

Stadia is by far the most technically functional and the load times are insane.

GFN is very versatile but it's stability is subpar on any device for me outside of my PC

Thats seems abit unfair tho. As it implies that xCloud is using the beta name to get away with some missing features and is fully launched.. Its fully in beta and its free also for people who can use it.