• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just.
Have.
Some Locs.
Or.
A.
Fade.
PLEASE.

At the bare minimum. Texture is extremely important and one of the key characteristics, most black folk don't have straightened hair.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

That BLM tweet is emblematic of doing the least without any actual, even miniscule action such as the character creator and having folks of various backgrounds on the input of things like this.

Like how are you meant to get into Fashion Souls with such barriers still up.
www.resetera.com

Elden Bling: From Tarnished to Fashion Lord(Possible Spoilers)

Please use Spoilers tags for armor sets, weapons and locations other than starter. Welcome to the Elden Bling thread. A place to show off your created characters and Fashion Souls Sense. Again at least for the foreseeable future please spoiler tag pictures that may contain armor sets, weapons...

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The timing is just so funny with that Rdcworld video that was posted recently. But Cant really say am surprised , this is expectation in most games. Only white people exist according to most game devs.

As a south asian person , I've just gotten used to my race just not existing in gaming. I Just pick the default white guy and carry on. Maybe wear a helmet or something. I hate games with character creators.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
They don't care so I'm not surprised. How hard can it be to add a low fade compared to all these other hairstyles?

The funny thing is Elden Ring is meant to appeal to a wider audience but I guess black people aren't included in that.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As long as character dont get whitewashed like Barret in FF7 remake I'm mostly just fine with it (as an Afro American).

Much rather have Ultrawide support on PC and good perf. So yeah, rather see the dev effort funding for an additional engineer over more artists.

tl;dr - As long as they dont whitewash (turn a black character into Italian or something I'm ok). And I still bought FF7 remake so meh its on me too

sometimes I just make an Asian looking character anyways so it doesnt bother me. But Iya sure it can be annoying cause I did try to make an african looking character in Elden Ring and it went real bad real fast. Even tho I was annoyed I'd rather see dev focus go into things that benefits all gamers (like improved perf)

Can you upload this file somewhere so I can download? Dont be selfish!
This is like... the dumbest and most flippant point of view you could have brought into the thread.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I expected that, but I'll still try. She'll look like a white lady covered in ash but I'll still try.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I almost just went Draconian because my Black character is so inhuman looking anyway. Fuck.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Yup it's absolutely trash. I spent like 40 mins trying to. Get something decent. But what a slap in the face with the hair options.

Demons souls got it right and just Horizon Forbidden west probally has some of the best modeled black characters I've ever seen in a video game. It's possible they need to be deliberate.

Yeah took me 40 mins to get something remotely at least black favoring.
399-FB695-5325-4547-AF8-B-2609-CCE0-CE1-E.png
ashen one, noooo

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
As long as character dont get whitewashed like Barret in FF7 remake I'm mostly just fine with it (as an Afro American).

Much rather have Ultrawide support on PC and good perf. So yeah, rather see the dev effort funding for an additional engineer over more artists.

tl;dr - As long as they dont whitewash (turn a black character into Italian or something I'm ok). And I still bought FF7 remake so meh its on me too

sometimes I just make an Asian looking character anyways so it doesnt bother me. But Iya sure it can be annoying cause I did try to make an african looking character in Elden Ring and it went real bad real fast. Even tho I was annoyed I'd rather see dev focus go into things that benefits all gamers (like improved perf)

Can you upload this file somewhere so I can download? Dont be selfish!

They can do both. It's not like the people responsible for the character creator/art design are also working on optimization and features like ultra wide. This is a cop out.

imf187

Jun 20, 2020
My character is so bad honestly. The darker skin tones look so grey and washed out. Plus the hair was just so bad, there's literally 1 curly hairstyle there. Good thing I'm probably going to wear a helmet most of the time. It's really hard to make an accurate version of myself.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I did go draconian with long hair and the manliest beard to cover up my face almost entirely lol.
I'm actually about to start over, because I made the mistake of pissing off that damn White-Faced Varre out of curiosity, and that motherfucker holds a grudge. You ever been beaten to death by a man wielding a bouquet of flowers? I have.

Probably redoing as a Draco because I rageuit the CC the first time and just figured I'd always wear armor out of shame.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing I did was check the hairstyles. Extremely disappointing, my character doesn't really look how I want her too.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Goes all the way back to Kodak developing the first color film in the 1930's and then the lighting to go with it. They of course designed all the products around white people. It's only relatively recently that shows like Insecure and movies like Us had the show runners/directors be able to make the decision for bigger budget projects to custom design lighting around darker tones and it makes a huge difference.

But because photography has sucked forever and that's what people have absorbed, coupled with a lack of representation in devs/artists/animators, you get shitty character models and lighting. You can see it gaming but also in things like facial recognition being less accurate.

The original technology ignored a whole set of people, and the consequences in the tech (and society, arguably) has lasted nearly 90 years.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wow. Started over and just messing about NOT trying to make a Black character. The options are so good, I have a Mads Mikkelsen looking Draconian and I'm like damn someone DID put effort a ton into these character models.

Just try to make a good-looking white dude, I feel like I would actually have to make effort to fuck it up.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
That's expected… I was pleasantly suprised to see that they added some decent hairstyles to the mass effect legendary edition when I loaded it up earlier this year.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
While the hair styles are definitely an issue, can I get some preset skin tones that look decent? I swear I messed around in elden ring character creator for 20 minutes, start the game and my guy looks terrible. I'll take the baldy if I have to but this is straight up infuriating.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel this. There's literally one black hair style. And using the sliders , was hard to create a black character

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, that video and these options smh.

If you get this on PC is more options something someone could mod in later?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
They don't care so I'm not surprised. How hard can it be to add a low fade compared to all these other hairstyles?

The funny thing is Elden Ring is meant to appeal to a wider audience but I guess black people aren't included in that.
I think the sad truth is people have an idea of what medieval fantasy should look like in their heads and some folks are not included in that.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
The character creator as a whole is pretty bad. Changing one metric changes others but doesn't nst actually move the sliders.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
FROM never ever releases extra small DLCs like hair styles like something like Monster Hunter World and I wish they would.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still hasn't gotten the game yet (damn you internet shopping) but yeah... It is so disappointing after what Bluepoint did.

Such a shame.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
All those previews, reviews and videos praising the game's character creation.

Gaming journalism. :|

I don't own the game yet, but this thread was an informative PSA. Btw, anyone whose played Black Desert, I know the character creator is amazing, but how is it regarding this topic?

busse

Feb 25, 2022
Could someone start a thread for Elden Ring created characters? I always get a laugh from them

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Have journalists ever asked FromSoftware point blank about this? Not that I think it would make a difference, but I do wish it was something journalists would consistently ask.

This is the first time From does such an indepth (well its not the most indepth, but you know what I mean) character creator, so I kinda doubt someone ever asked much about it. Their stuff was until Elden Ring way more barebones.

Its sad they dont have more representation in there.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger japanese devs really need to step up their game when it comes to this - Nintendo, From Soft, Capcom etc.
We spent the same amount of money as other customers yet end up with far less options.wtf.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I just wanna know why we can't ever get a fade with a nice shape up lol.

Or at least give the buzz cut a non receding hairline.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Maybe if people make a fuss big enough they can patch some in later like Monster Hunter did.

With stuff like this and the technical issues in Elden Ring, sometimes I think From Software are riding the wave of being a successful dev without really addressing the additional responsibilities that come with that. I don't think it's out of malice but they should definitely start reading the room a bit more, if that makes sense.