• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.theverge.com

A former Foxconn executive tries to explain what went wrong in Wisconsin

How a Trump-endorsed plan overpromised and underdelivered

I really struggled to get through most of this and feel bad for the interviewers in these setups. Not that anyone expected them to get actual answers. A lot of it is just corporate apologist rhetoric, excuses, passing blame and continued chest beating for Foxconn etc. So more of the same we saw for years. I was going to just post it in an existing thread. But seeing as it's been about a year since the last update I didn't want to necro bump. The title makes it sound like he answers anything, but it basically reads as Verge banging their head against the corporate policy lines as Alan Yeung admits no responsibility on his or Foxconn's behalf (Both from self interest and legal reasons I'm sure) and advertises his books. Which I guess isn't surprising at all. What a shit show.

TLDR: Same shit, different day?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man i totally forgot about this, this was my shit. The verge has been the only folks covering it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've only barely kept up with all the nonsense all that Foxconn factory so this should be a good read. IIRC they got a great deal from the state and then didn't have a clue what to do with the land so people just did nothing for months, right?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man i totally forgot about this, this was my shit. The verge has been the only folks covering it.
I'm glad they're still covering it. But man that interview was a painful read.

I've only barely kept up with all the nonsense all that Foxconn factory so this should be a good read. IIRC they got a great deal from the state and then didn't have a clue what to do with the land so people just did nothing for months, right?
More or less, they basically didn't really have justification for the types of fabs in a reasonable manner/time frame. Just a lot of wishful thinking and pandering politically largely. Then of course it basically didn't make any sense for them financially after the facade so it basically just stagnated leaving a bunch of people holding the bag for nothing. There's a lot of excuses about them not being able to reach agreements with the later admins etc. But it just reads as excuses that they didn't continue to get even better treatment after basically doing nothing.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day Scott Walker lost the Governorship in 2018 and Trump lost WI in 2020. This was never anything more than a sham to throw out some red meat to eek by in those elections and it failed at that too.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
See also the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, which has had extensive coverage over the years. One recent example:
www.jsonline.com

Foxconn's plan to make robotic coffee kiosks quietly died. It joins the list of products promised but never made.

Foxconn announced it would partner with Briggo to make coffee kiosks in Mount Pleasant. It won't happen -- the manufacturer's latest unfilled promise.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're still covering it. But man that interview was a painful read.

If i rememebr correctly the guy that did all the articles came from the are the factory was going to built in, so it was a bit personal. He has been on it, even went to the Foxconn "local offices", which were either empty or had one guy twiddling their thumbs

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If i rememebr correctly the guy that did all the articles came from the are the factory was going to built in, so it was a bit personal. He has been on it, even went to the Foxconn "local offices", which were either empty or had one guy twiddling their thumbs
I love how they're like "no we never would have allowed our staff to be in danger, he literally had to just look through the window to see nothing was happening".

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they're like "no we never would have allowed our staff to be in danger, he literally had to just look through the window to see nothing was happening".
There needs to be a Netflix/Hulu/Max shit to generate the anger this needs. Cause it was shameful all around

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be a Netflix/Hulu/Max shit to generate the anger this needs. Cause it was shameful all around
Does anyone besides a some people in Wisconsin (republicans don't care because that would mean having to criticize their own, and that goes against the prime directive) and people who want to dunk on Trump and Walker really care? The only national coverage is like a yearly article from the verge.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone besides a some people in Wisconsin (republicans don't care because that would mean having to criticize their own, and that goes against the prime directive) and people who want to dunk on Trump and Walker really care? The only national coverage is like a yearly article from the verge.
Yea likely the only capitalization to be made on something like that is like anti business with China sentiment unfortunately. Which shouldn't be the focus, as this is the standard crummy business practice regardless of foreign policy. It might just be slightly less transparent than usual because of the potential for better insider info and accountability. If you said it was virtually any other company that had just don't the same thing I'd believe it just as quick lol.

This is more a story of just embarrassing capitulations to corporate and political interests that don't yield positives results for actual people.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes I can't believe that guy actually reached out to be interviewed when he clearly had nothing good to say but wouldn't throw Foxxcon under the bus, either. Instead he just looked like he was in league with liars and con artists, which was already assumed. This just lends even more to that.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes I can't believe that guy actually reached out to be interviewed when he clearly had nothing good to say but wouldn't throw Foxxcon under the bus, either. Instead he just looked like he was in league with liars and con artists, which was already assumed. This just lends even more to that.
Waiting for that second book drop first. That's the tell all!

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe people like this throw billions of dollars around like it's nothing.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for that second book drop first. That's the tell all!
That was definitely what he wanted, but he should have done Good Morning America if he wanted softball questions to sell his book. Getting torn to shreds and dunked on isn't a great way to sell your tell-all book. The answers he did give were all terrible.

What a shitshow.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dude's lying through his teeth. No one with a brain ever thought this was going to be anything more than a bunch of empty warehouses repackaging already completed tvs

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely what he wanted, but he should have done Good Morning America if he wanted softball questions to sell his book. Getting torn to shreds and dunked on isn't a great way to sell your tell-all book. The answers he did give were all terrible.

What a shitshow.
Like someone else said, probably nobody outside Wisconsin and people who have been following this beat even care. They did Verge probably because they're one of the only large publication covering it. Maybe Alan was planning on hitting a bunch of stops and may still. Or maybe nobody else will give him the time of day.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like someone else said, probably nobody outside Wisconsin and people who have been following this beat even care. They did Verge probably because they're one of the only large publication covering it. Maybe Alan was planning on hitting a bunch of stops and may still. Or maybe nobody else will give him the time of day.
That would be sad if nobody else in journalism cares about that mess, but I believe it.