• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
428header1efb0.jpg

Great article / interview by Sam Byford on The Verge.

428 Shibuya Scramble is the best crime book you'll ever read on your PS4

Until winter 2008, only eight games in the 22-year history of Famitsu received a 40/40 score. With the possible exception of the surprising yet remarkably prescient Nintendogs review, none of the selections would shock a Japanese games fan: Ocarina of Time, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII, and so on.
Then came 428.

A quirky, thrilling visual novel that relies on live-action photography, 428: In a Blockaded Shibuya for the Wii is, by some distance, the most niche game ever to receive 40/40 in Famitsu. (It was the eighth best-selling game in its week of release.) Until now, it was also the only game with that honor to have never been released outside Japan or in English.

It's an important part of Japanese gaming history, and you've never played anything like it. It's also absolutely fantastic.

Localization director David Kracker describes it as "interactive like a visual novel, but as carefully shot and plotted as a Hollywood blockbuster."

So why is 428 finally making it to the West? "It's partially an experiment, partially a pet project," says Kracker. "The Danganronpa visual novel series far, far exceeded expectations and convinced us that there was a global market for such titles. Since 428 is hailed in Japan as the pinnacle of the visual novel adventure genre, I figured it was now or never."

The producers had American crime thrillers like 24 in mind, but it reminds me more of Arrested Development or a Coen brothers film. Each scenario has a different flavor — Kano's is a hardboiled cop thriller, Tama's is slapstick comedy, Osawa's is psychological horror — and Kajiya Productions, the localization team, nailed the voice of each."

That said, the game still feels extremely Japanese, which is something the localizers couldn't shy away from. In the past, games like the Ace Attorney series would often be heavily modified in their English forms, removing several cultural references that the localizers deemed likely to confuse Western players. But Kracker thinks that approach won't fly anymore. "Aggressive culturalization is a thing of the past," he says. "Not because the audience has grown sophisticated — the audience has always been sophisticated — but because there's enough success to trust the market."

428's excellent localization deserves to bring a legitimate Japanese classic to a whole new audience. I can't stress this enough: if you are at all open to the idea of crashing on your couch and reading a lot of text on your TV screen, 428: Shibuya Scramble is one of the most original and entertaining ways to do just that. It's truly one of a kind in the very best way.

Worth a full read.

I thought the article and headline were a good way to kick off a discussion outside the OT.

Do you agree with 428 being the "best crime book you'll ever read on your PS4"?

Are there any serious competitors on PS4 (or other platforms)?

Will Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler ever get ported and reclaim its rightful crown?

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody needs to play this. It's also on Steam. It might be a bit pricey, but it's very much worth it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I have this on my wishlist. Currently going through another VN at the moment. But definitely plan to play this in the future. Is it an easy platinum or more involved than the usual VNs? Doesn't impact buying the game but can determine if I go PC or PS4.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Still working through it (at 15:00 block), but it is great.

Particularly fond of the Osawa events (Kajiwara) so far.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing it soon. Probably in the next couple of weeks once I wrap up DQXI.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredible game, really nothing else like it that I've played. It's hilarious, it's dramatic, it's got it all. And perhaps my favorite thing about it is the way the game's flowchart system works. It's so satisfying jumping between different points and figuring out how to make it to the next hour. And the fact that you only have to worry about each hour separately makes it all feel very manageable- a bad ending is just a minor (and often amusing) setback. This really helps keep the pacing of the story solid.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, as a VN enthusiast I'm buying this sometime this month just after Dragon Quest XI.

EDIT : holy s... no one bought the game on Steam :| And it's probably not much better on PS4. Guess it was to be expected but still.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Kajiwara is best bro.

Achi's guitar themes are kickass too, they really emphasis his hot blooded red sentai/shonen protag aspect.

Yanagishita must have the luck of the gods at his side...or misfortune :V

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone who played both - is 428 better than Chaos;Child? I haven't read 428 yet, but C;C is genuinely amazing.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait and see on this one. Wanted to play it since the Wii release but my Japanese is terrible. Will wait just a few more years to see if I can get it portable.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks man. Does it work well with remote play?
Never tried it myself, but there's very positive impressions about using Remote Play in the OT. You don't need a lot of buttons and input lag wouldn't be a problem since it's a visual novel, I could see it working almost as well as a native Vita game.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who played both - is 428 better than Chaos;Child? I haven't read 428 yet, but C;C is genuinely amazing.

They're very different, different enough that I find it hard to compare them. 428 is played through a number of character perspectives as the central conceit of the game, whereas C;C is basically just Takuru. They're both amazing though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait and see on this one. Wanted to play it since the Wii release but my Japanese is terrible. Will wait just a few more years to see if I can get it portable.
Considering how poorly this release seems to be doing, I would be surprised if they do anything else with this game in English. Shame they didn't do a Switch version.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame it came out at the same time as Spider-Man and DQ as it just got buried. It's a really fantastic game, and manages to stay entertaining pretty much all the time. Plus, it helps that the localization is fantastic as well. Very witty and charming.

If you like other Chunsoft stuff, like Zero Escape or Danganronpa, you pretty much need to play this. I think it's far better than either series. I'd put this up there with some of my favorite VNs.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to look into this. My next VN to pick up on PS4 is Death Mark. I will need to get this sooner or later.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how poorly this release seems to be doing, I would be surprised if they do anything else with this game in English. Shame they didn't do a Switch version.

Yeah. I need visual novels on portables these days. Tried and failed to do them on PS3/4. I guess I could give remote play a try again like someone else suggested. If any genre can work flawlessly that way it has to be VN.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Totally forgot this came out. Nearing the end of Danganronpa 3 right now, so maybe I'll pick it up after.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good article, I like how it focuses partially in how great and natural the localization job turned out, it's really quality stuff. As they say, the setting is very lively and the awesome photography coupled with the superb background sound (I know we take this kind of stuff for granted, but it's super immersive for what it is) really bring it to life.

It's crazy how it goes from absurdly funny, to tense and sometimes even scary. It actually reminds me a lot of Yakuza with its aggresive yet well done tonal shifts, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's a Yakuza fan and has even a passing interest in the game or visual novels in general. As a newbie when it comes to VNs I'm quite surprised of how great the little gameplay is (despite the article kinda downplaying it). The way you jump from one character to another to unlock further time slots for one by picking different choices with another makes it feel like a super clever narrative puzzle of sorts. Words really don't do it justice so if you're on PS4 you should check out the demo.

But yeah this game is fantastic and has me absolutely hooked. I expected it to be good but it's far surpassing all expectations I had after finishing the demo. It basically has no low points, the pacing is superb and every story, even the ones that are actively funny are very engaging.

Basically PLAY 428
832BlC0.png

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Are there other crime books to read on PS4? You can also read it on PC and other Windows devices btw.

I bought it day one cos I was looking forward to it ever since the Wii release they never localized but haven't gotten into it yet.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's super good. Kajiya Productions really nailed this. I especially love the keyword system, it makes the game feel like a bizarro modern-day Terry Pratchett novel. It's a huge shame that it doesn't appear to be catching on in niche-but-loud communities quite like Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa did, but at least we got it, I suppose.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Are there other crime books to read on PS4?
Not really, I think it's the author's roundabout way of saying "Play this, it's really good and there's not a lot of games like it".

You could argue that the Zero Escape series, the Science Adventure games or the upcoming Ace Attorney Trilogy also count as crime books. But 428 feels entirely unique, like a thrilling season of Japanese 24 with wacky, memorable characters and a fantastic OST.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really whiffed it with the pricing on this. Could have been a modest hit a bit cheaper, 50+ bucks means it stays, at best, with the highly dedicated that buy practically everything already (though it doesn't appear to even be a hit with them).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I really liked the demo and will pick up the game December - January once I deal with my backlog a bit more. For those who aren't sure it gives you a great taste of the game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ah man, I didn't even know that this existed until just now and now I desperately need to play it.

It's gonna have to wait a little while though, I'm still knee deep into DQXI and the Xenoblade DLC, and I just picked up TWEWY today on top of that.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I knew I had to buy this game as soon as I saw the first english screenshots pop up.

I had no idea it would be so amazing though. Best surprise of the year, by far. I'm sad to think that I will probably never see anything like it again.

You want a truly unique game? Play this.

Oct 25, 2017
This is my GOTY. Everyone needs to pick this up.

It's on PC and will probably run on any machine capable of reading Reset Era, so you don't have any excuses.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea it would be so amazing though. Best surprise of the year, by far. I'm sad to think that I will probably never see anything like it again.
Well, we could all buy 100 copies and hope it leads to a localization of the predecessor Machi or the spiritual follow-up Time Travelers.
Not gonna happen, but 428 is the best of the three and we got it with a top-notch localization.

And agreed, a price cut and a Switch port seem like the thing to do if they want to reach a wider audience. Playing a VN on the TV and $50 are both pretty high barriers to entry for people who are curious about 428.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
When December comes around and all the everyone starts doing their game of the year lists, I expect to see few mentions of 428. However, if it were possible to know which publications have played it at all I would imagine that a very, very high percentage of those same publications would put it on a goty list.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It manages to successfully achieve various tones, while still feeling a very cohesive whole.

The way decisions work bring the storylines together in fun but also meaningful ways.

It is very good. Hopefully some people see this thread (and the pictures posted here).

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
This is, in my opinion, the hidden gem of the year. It absolutely, 100% deserves extra attention.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I saw this at GDC earlier this year. It's almost like a blast from the past, given how much Shibuya has changed over the last decade.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, for everyone who was looking for a VN that captivated them the way Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors did, go seek out 428: Shibuya Scramble immediately, on PS4 or Steam. It's super fucking quirky and it'll tug on your curiosities.

Get it.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I remember reading about this years ago and wanting to play it really bad (but at the time the genre was still extremely niche in the West so the odds of a localization were pretty much zero). The fact that I didn't know about the English release until today makes me kind of sad - it pretty much just flew under the radar, which is a shame because the game is so damn brilliant. The steep price tag probably doesn't help much either, but I have no complaints so far.