• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry guys what's the Tom thing.
I´m clearly missing a reference here ^^

Lg8GVNi.jpg

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Why exactly are people expecting the XSX to outperform Ps5 by default?

I've seen several articles now trying to explain the recent multiplat situations that have shown pretty much parity or very small differences. Where are they coming from?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Seems like a reverse of the PS3/360 situation, although on a much smaller scale.
When he mentioned the documentation issue I had a PS3 development issues PTSD flashback.

I've seen several articles now trying to explain the recent multiplat situations that have shown pretty much parity or very small differences. Where are they coming from?
Where have you been the last 6-8 months. And so many people confident of sheer advantages on the rendering side of things because of a better looking spec sheet. When a vocal minority of us was saying it's saying it's the closest it's ever been and/or there will be differences based on what games take advantage of what each platforms strengths are.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

The amount of flak I got for saying this...
Trueeeeee. You guys better put some respect on Jasons name lol

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think the notion isn't just that MS has undercooked tools, but that they were also significantly later which would impact these launch titles the most.

I mean, we'll see if any of this is true in 6-12 months. I tend to believe it only bc we've been hearing this since before launch.
Yeah. People seem insistent on not understanding this particular point.

It might not pan out that way, but it isn't an absurd suggestion. Not remotely. And like you point out, we've been hearing about it since before launch games arrived.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You can make excuses all the livelong day but when you've been shouting "we have the most powerful console ever" for months and don't deliver, it's hard not to see all that BS as marketing-speak.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

- 12 vs 10TF difference in teraflop spec
- MS marketing it as strongest console/etc etc
- Benefits of sustained performance vs variable performance according to Xbox engineers
- Xbox having the full RDNA2 feature set vs PS5
- etc etc

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Pretty much. I wonder what is this "full RDNA2 feature set "

Quite so. PS5 tools are a continuation of Sony work on PS4 while MS rebuild their tools from the ground-up to allow better multiplatform development between Xbox and Windows. They went from the XDK(Xbox Development Kit) to GDK(General Development Kit)
GDK isn't a fresh start. As with most things, it's an iterative process with the vast majority of the groundwork being carried over.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't Tom say Xbox was gonna have better game performance issues than PS5 right outta the gate or something, and now with the Valhalla comparisons, he has had to backpedal?? Ah yes, seems it was Tom Warren from the Verge that said it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I have started seeing Xbox commercials calling it "the fastest and most powerful Xbox" and not "most powerful console".

In the end guess they realised the difference between the two is basically splitting hairs.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Tom has stated he has talked to developer's, so everybody in here thinks he is lying then?

Nah, resetera cares more about the "gotcha" moments than actual technical discussions.

This sort of thing is relatively common in the pc space, AMD graphics cards for example used to gain performance overtime because their release day drivers were usually pretty horribly optimized. NV gained performance too, overtime, but way less, simply because their launch drivers were generally better.

If what the article states is true, and devs generally had less time to work with Xbox series consoles, then, yeah, it's likely that XSX/XSS is being choked a bit on the software side.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the flak this article is getting. This makes sense. New, less well documented tooling with less time to learn it = inferior performance. Was it orchestrated poorly to coincide with their marketing? Of course. But that doesn't really invalidate what's being stated. I don't see why people have to be so aggro about the possibility that the SX could perform marginally better (like the current PS5 margins now) a year or two from now.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious that the XSX and PS5 are equal in the power/performance department. Any minor differences will only be able to be measured with a magnifying glass and electronic capture tools. Anybody that thinks that improved tools or any other magic will make the XSX vastly outperform the PS5 is living in an alternate reality.

Both are great consoles, enjoy either or both.

Oct 25, 2017
GDK isn't a fresh start. As with most things, it's an iterative process with the vast majority of the groundwork being carried over.
That's true and it's a mistake on my part. I think a better choice of words would be "transitioning their tools from XDK to GDK" and even transitioning loses the meaning/isn't the correct choice of words. Thanks for the correction.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
It's becoming increasingly clear MS wasn't ready to release the Series X and only did so to make sure Sony didn't have a 6 mo - 1 year head start. It shows in devs not having access to the tools until much later and having no first party games available for their console on launch day. I get why they did it but I struggle to understand what they were doing all those years when it was clear the Xbox One wasn't a success. They lacked a lot of exclusives in the final years so what were they doing to make sure that didn't happen again?

May 19, 2020
that'll show tom warren, some blue checkmark guy from the internet™, that you don't mess with the resetera console boys

[post sponsored by the first post quote krew]

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Antagonizing other members
Tom has stated he has talked to developer's, so everybody in here thinks he is lying then?
No one is saying that. But its obvious he is doing some serious damage control based on what he had said in the past.

he knows he was full of shit in the past and now has to make excuses.

And I am in the camp that fully expects the series x to outperform ps5 in the near future; console warriors are just fun.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when warriors thought jschreier was lying about what developers were saying about the PS5? Developers were right then, but alas.
I remember, I remember it all, they were mad when threads of devs praising it because they thought they were song biased, or when Jason, matt, or Richard all were saying the same things. Or even guess what we knew this would be the case for somy from freaking March when they pretty much flat out said you can get games up and running in a month, and even dev with zero knowledge of the PS5s added features. But cerny is a liar. Like I hope some people learn who to trust on these things especially when it's snowballing from various who aren't visibly connected vs trusting some random post online because it confirms their biases.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's GDK isn't finished yet. The tools are behind compared to Sony & the PS5.
Sony's tools aren't 'finished' either and are improving and getting better too.
And you have the last laugh. You and many developers tried to tell people to stop looking only at the teraflops number. But console warriors didn't listen.
It's almost like boiling everything down to on-paper teraflops is a horrible idea and there is far more at play when developing games.
Well said.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
it's gonna be a wild ride over the couple of years isn't it?
while I agree with the tools issue, it's quite intriguing with the beating of MS chest all the way through launch and now they are "quietly confident" all of a sudden.
And yeah there are some things here with them not disclosing what this feature they waited for is, unless I suspect it's because of the amount of things they wanted to do with the APU for server related things etc. just kind of interesting times ahead I guess we will see within 2 years where they are. But definitely a stumble for what they built up before launch imo. It still sounds very promising on for all they are doing right with BC for example. But I'm at the point less PR talk and let the games do the talking for you
I wouldn't say so to be honest. These consoles are so close in terms of performance there won't be a massive advantage on either side as we go further into the generation, that is unless the devs fuck up one of the release. The Xbox will eventually get the better performers but the difference will be minuscule.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not terribly illuminating. Was hoping for more detailed observations from developers.

Seems premature for Tom to conclude its just a games problem too, rather than a system software problem - or that this may not also be a factor. We know Microsoft's approach to Xbox drivers and APIs last gen caused performance issues in the early days of the Xbox One, and I'd not be at all surprised if there's a similar scenario here. And also, what cost - if any - the extra abstraction to support unified tools across PC and Xbox creates.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, what exactly is he expecting MS to say?

"We've fucked it lads, just hold off on this one and we'll box it off for the next console."

It's so fucking early for any of this. It's almost as if going balls deep on TF as the be all and end all capability measurement metric was a terrible idea prior to the consoles launch...

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's becoming increasingly clear MS wasn't ready to release the Series X and only did so to make sure Sony didn't have a 6-1 year head start. It shows in devs not having access to the tools until much later and having no first party games available for their console on launch day. I get why they did it but I struggle to understand what they were doing all those years when it was clear the Xbox One wasn't a success. They lacked a lot of exclusives in the final years so what were they doing to make sure that didn't happen again?

Phil Spencer has been in charge for years and this stuff is supposed to be planned out well in advance. At this point, the buck's gotta stop somewhere.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. People seem insistent on not understanding this particular point.

It might not pan out that way, but it isn't an absurd suggestion. Not remotely. And like you point out, we've been hearing about it since before launch games arrived.
AC Valhalla probably started dev on PS4 and XOne kits anyway no? And considering how Microsoft has been flaunting its BC capabilities and the ability for BC games to take full advantage of the extra horsepower, you'd imagine that an Xbox One compiled game would be able to run almost 2x better on Series X. I highly doubt the tools were much of an issue here, especially since AC doesn't really utilise any of the next-gen exclusive featureset.

Oct 28, 2017
What's the reference that's clearly gone over my head?

I think it is Basically based on these tweets below and other comments he has made! He said with the Xbox Series X, there will ALWAYS be a gap. Then when several PS5 games are outperforming the Xbox Series X versions, he says it's early, and the tools aren't mature enough, so just be patient. So basically, there will ALWAYS be a gap, but be patient to see when that gap ALWAYS appears cause we need the tools to mature a bit.

Aged like fine milk.

Lg8GVNi.jpg
XNBuzKO.jpg

You can always tag him tomwarren

Don't be afraid bro.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
User Banned (3 days): Antagonising other members, accusations of bias
This is why I don't like Verge. That title is just paid PR nonsense. It's like they don't even try to hide their bias. Look at their PS5 glitch tweet. As if Tom Warren has any understanding of Architecture and Power TDP of SOC used in PS5. I don't want to say this but he must be the most biased journalist out there when it comes to Microsoft. This story could have been presented differently

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
These hot takes on a console launch are just fueling the fire. As a PS5 owner I fully realize that there are a lot of factors that play into performance on each machine and the launch games should really not be used as a gauge to measure the greatness or limitations of said hardware. The things both these consoles will be able to pull off in years to come will be nothing short of amazing.

I mean, look at some of the games devs are pulling off on PS4 and Xbox. Can you imagine the crazy shit we will start seeing on these new consoles? It's going to be one hell of a ride!

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Good write up that I had kinda been waiting for after all those DF videos. Hopefully it is just as simple as time and MS needing to improve on documentation.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah man, this is just not a good look. Saying tools are not up to date is just...eh. Yeah, the tools will mature but the same is going to happen to PS's tools either. It's not like Sony will stop working on its toolset.
Especially since Microsoft was the first to show everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.