• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah man, this is just not a good look. Saying tools are not up to date is just...eh. Yeah, the tools will mature but the same is going to happen to PS's tools either. It's not like Sony will stop working on its toolset.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they're able to sort this out for Tom's sake.
5bf.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's basically the same stuff we keep hearing

1) Late tools/immature tools
3) Something to do with waiting for full RDNA2 that has yet to be explained
Pretty much. I wonder what is this "full RDNA2 feature set "
So Sony's tools continue to advance while Xbox's continue to play catch-up? Is this a correct assumption?
Quite so. PS5 tools are a continuation of Sony work on PS4 while MS rebuild their tools from the ground-up to allow better multiplatform development between Xbox and Windows. They went from the XDK(Xbox Development Kit) to GDK(General Development Kit)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah man, this is just not a good look. Saying tools are not up to date is just...eh. Yeah, the tools will mature but the same is going to happen to PS's tools either. It's not like Sony will stop working on its toolset.

No shit. The point is that MS is in a time disadvantage.

There is nothing "eh" about it, it happens.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't get this, the PS5 has a very small advantage in specific situations in a few games.
Why some people's sleep is harder because of this?
It's not like a massive difference or anything.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... he's making it obvious now.

I'd rather folks be open about their biases than play everyone for fools, tbh.

Re: the tools reasoning, the presumption that Sony's tools will stop being developed and/or becoming more efficient is a necessary predicate here, no? As is the assumption that Microsoft's tools can actually catch up to where Sony's are now, no?

We will see, but "wait until next year" has been a theme under Spencer for years, so I don't know why this is terribly surprising.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Just enjoy the games imo. Nothings going to be unplayable, and little differences aren't worth worrying about.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, blaming it on rushed software and immature dev tools is a lot more credible than hidden secondary chips and the power of the cloud. Amazing how many people thought that remote off-device cloud computing would cause a local GPU to run more effectively dealing with micro-second dependent calcs.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): platform warring, antagonizing other members, drive-by posting, prior bans for platform warring
Ol' Tom Console Warren at it again.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): antagonizing other members, drive-by posting, history of infractions for console warring
I hope they're able to sort this out for Tom's sake.

Yeah he's not dealing well with all this. It's weird when grown men act like this for some reason.

www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

The amount of flak I got for saying this...

Even your example was 100% correct. wow

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It's almost like boiling everything down to on-paper teraflops is a horrible idea and there is far more at play when developing games.

Also, it'll be nice to see both platforms tools continue to get better as this gen goes on!

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess time will tell, but the performance delta between the two systems probably isn't going to be all that pronounced when everything is said and done.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
People mentioning how Xbox will get better. That's certain, but developers will get more familiar with the PS5 as well.

Obviously both will perform very good.

Feb 15, 2019

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
www.resetera.com

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

I remember that. People were dumb to give you flak for this.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this, the PS5 has a very small advantage in specific situations in a few games.
And it never will be. And all these games out the gate where both consoles can be scrutinized are not exactly where they should be optimization wise. These consoles are so close to each other, even if Series X pulls ahead eventually...it'll be nothing substantial. *rubs crystal ball affectionately*

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

As always--confirmation bias. Folks want their plastic box--marketed as the most powerful plastic box--to capably demonstrate to others that it is indeed the most powerful plastic box and that the marketing wasn't merely snake oil, hoodwinking, tomfoolery, etc.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather folks be open about their biases than play everyone for fools, tbh.

Re: the tools reasoning, the presumption that Sony's tools will stop being developed and/or becoming more efficient is a necessary predicate here, no? As is the assumption that Microsoft's tools can actually catch up to where Sony's are now, no?

We will see, but "wait until next year" has been a theme under Spencer for years, so I don't know why this is terribly surprising.

I think the notion isn't just that MS has undercooked tools, but that they were also significantly later which would impact these launch titles the most.

I mean, we'll see if any of this is true in 6-12 months. I tend to believe it only bc we've been hearing this since before launch.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

Right down to which game would even perform better.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
yeah, but at some point Sony tool will hit a wall and MS tool will break past that wall, you'll see....
/s

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Not sure we'll get mid gen refreshes this time. I don't think the ps4 pro or xbox one x sold particularly well

Maybe if they come in at the same price and simply replace the current consoles, then a refresh would work. But, yeah, I find that a refresh to a more expensive console while the existing ones are still around would be clunky again.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
User Banned (1 week): platform warring, antagonizing other members, drive-by posting, history of console wars
Tom is doing a great job to help his favourite company get better image.
I hope they appreciate him.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

www.theverge.com

Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’?

The PS5 is punching well above its weight

"Some of these differences could be down to bugs, but I've been speaking to developers (who wish to remain anonymous) about the Xbox Series X development environment and it's clear things are a little complicated.

Microsoft only allowed developers to submit games for Xbox Series X certification in June, after delivering an update to its Game Developers Kit (GDK). That followed the company's rather tight schedule for dev kit allocations, all while I've been consistently hearing that many developers had access to PS5 dev kits far in advance of Xbox versions."

interesting stuff.. XsX and XsS are amazing and well built consoles, hopefully they get dev issues sorted out fast and I am curious to know what this AMD feature is. great job tomwarren

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I think the notion isn't just that MS has undercooked tools, but that they were also significantly later which would impact these launch titles the most.

I mean, we'll see if any of this is true in 6-12 months. I tend to believe it only bc we've been hearing this since before launch.

I don't disbelieve it at all, I just think there's a lot of moving parts with presuming it makes up some of the perceived shortfalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.