• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018

www.theverge.com

Why is the PS5 outperforming the ‘world’s most powerful console’?

The PS5 is punching well above its weight

"Some of these differences could be down to bugs, but I've been speaking to developers (who wish to remain anonymous) about the Xbox Series X development environment and it's clear things are a little complicated.

Microsoft only allowed developers to submit games for Xbox Series X certification in June, after delivering an update to its Game Developers Kit (GDK). That followed the company's rather tight schedule for dev kit allocations, all while I've been consistently hearing that many developers had access to PS5 dev kits far in advance of Xbox versions."

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
User Banned (1 week): platform warring, antagonizing other members, driving a thread derail
I hope they're able to sort this out for Tom's sake.

Jan 27, 2019
Teething issues probably, it'll sort itself out. I can see this thread becoming a console war thread again though

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Seems like the tools need to mature a bit and developers need more time with them. I expect Xbox to pull ahead in terms of performance further into this generation but both consoles appear to be plenty powerful which is great for consumers.

One thing is for sure Digital Foundry has been putting out some great work during this launch. I look forward to listening to their comparisons regardless if I am actually interested in the game or not.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Man I have both but that title has me yikes. When your whole punchline is most powerful console better back it up when results come in.. Saying it is because of software etc not optimized isn't gonna cut it man

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I hope they're able to sort this out for Tom's sake.

72bd7981f23028abed93faccaf9f0610_w200.gif

Oct 29, 2017
It's way too early for any reasonable comparisons. All the games being compared are being released on two gens of consoles and likely developed primarily with the earlier gen in mind first.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Things will obviously get better in time. It's just bad optics right now given that a large part of MS' marketing has been around how powerful it is. The games specifically marketed for Xbox are playing better on PS5 so no matter how you slice it, it just looks bad. Does it matter though? Not as much as people would make you believe. It's just exacerbated because Xbox doesn't really have any heavy hitting exclusives at launch and relied on 3rd party games to carry it. Once their studios start pumping out games, this will all be long forgotten I reckon.

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like he is trying to clean up his "there will always be a difference" tweet when he said the power difference between the two would always show!

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure long term we'll see the Xbox performing to its capacity.

Will be interesting to see how much time we get of peak Series X before the mid-gen refresh though.

Also, lol at the Tom post.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it's basically the same stuff we keep hearing

1) Late tools/immature tools
3) Something to do with waiting for full RDNA2 that has yet to be explained

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Console wars
Poor Tom can't handle seeing it. I'm not one for console wars, but Tom's bias showing this whole time all the way up till release makes the PS5 beating the Series X all the more savory.

Thicc Enigma

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
So Sony's tools continue to advance while Xbox's continue to play catch-up? Is this a correct assumption?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Can't wait to see the RE8 Village comparison, to see if it ends up being one sided after all...

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Best case its really is the tools.

Worst case this gen will be like the 360 and PS3. Where the 360 was easy to develop with and had better running 3rd party games while Sony's 1st used the Cell's full power and got the most out of the system.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (3 days): platform warring, antagonizing other members, drive-by posting
Tom taking this news pretty hard.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm sure long term we'll see the Xbox performing to its capacity.

Will be interesting to see how much time we get of peak Series X before the mid-gen refresh though.

Also, lol at the Tom post.
Not sure we'll get mid gen refreshes this time. I don't think the ps4 pro or xbox one x sold particularly well

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
it's gonna be a wild ride over the couple of years isn't it?
while I agree with the tools issue, it's quite intriguing with the beating of MS chest all the way through launch and now they are "quietly confident" all of a sudden.
And yeah there are some things here with them not disclosing what this feature they waited for is, unless I suspect it's because of the amount of things they wanted to do with the APU for server related things etc. just kind of interesting times ahead I guess we will see within 2 years where they are. But definitely a stumble for what they built up before launch imo. It still sounds very promising on for all they are doing right with BC for example. But I'm at the point less PR talk and let the games do the talking for you

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

JASON: So let me be clear. So what I'm hearing from people actually working on these things is that the Xbox is not significantly more powerful than the PlayStation, despite this teraflops number, and that the teraflops -- it might be a useful measure of comparison in some ways, but ultimately it's a theoretical max speed, and there are so many things that could come between where you are trying to get and what you are actually able to do, to the point where the GPU could have X number of flops that it can actually perform, but if the developer isn't able to actually access all of it for whatever reason, then it doesn't even matter, and there are so many other variables here that go into it.

At the end of the day, that is fundamentally the big question -- when Assassin's Creed Kingdom, or whatever it's called, Assassin's Creed Vikings comes out this fall, presumably, corona aside. Presumably it comes out this fall on both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 -- which one will it look better on, which one will have a better resolution and better framerate on? I don't think we can know the answer to that question just from the spec sheet, and that's the point I'm making.

The amount of flak I got for saying this...

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
At this point, Kraken3dfx is probably sick of all the notifications about replies to his post, so I'll make one that doesn't trigger the bell.

Nearly ruined a perfectly good keyboard when I read that. Nice one!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Man I have both but that title has me yikes. When your whole punchline is most powerful console better back it up when results come in.. Saying it is because of software etc not optimized isn't gonna cut it man

I mean, but what if it is bc of software and it sorts itself out?

We can't all sit around bitching about crunch culture in one thread and then not allow for delays in tools in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.