• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
VATICAN CITY—Every year, Catholics around the world donate tens of millions of dollars to the pope. Bishops exhort the faithful to support the weak and suffering through the pope's main charitable appeal, called Peter's Pence.

What the church doesn't advertise is that most of that collection, worth more than €50 million ($55 million) annually, goes toward plugging the hole in the Vatican's own administrative budget, while as little as 10% is spent on charitable works, according to people familiar with the funds.

The use of Peter's Pence donations mostly to plug the budget deficit is particularly sensitive for Pope Francis, who began his pontificate by calling for a "poor church for the poor," and has continually emphasized the church's mission to care for and advocate on behalf of the most vulnerable.

Never imagined it was so blatant. Poor church for the poor, LMAO.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
handin out bread callin' emselves breadwinners
really out here tho bein breadsinners

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I cannot believe the Catholic Church would do something awful.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what else to expect from the world's largest and most corrupt, Nazi sympathising child sex ring.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Is this the same Vatican who's residences are probably 80% solid gold? (hyperbole but you know it's lavish)

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
At least they've never sold tickets to heaven for your lost love ones to fund their expensive chapels...oh wait.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Church may as well start offering indulgences again... At least then both sides can stop lying about what the money is for. (guilt and covering church expenses respectively).

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Those numbers seem extremely low to me but I don't exactly have a peak behind the curtain on their balance sheets.

sultrines

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
About two-thirds of the rest of the $55 million in donations for Pope Francis's annual charitable appeal, known as Peter's Pence, is used to fill the Vatican's administrative budget deficit, The Wall Street Journal reported in an article Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the spending.
The newspaper said that the use of Peter's Pence for the budget "Is raising concern among some Catholic Church leaders that the faithful are being misled about the use of their donations, which could further hurt the credibility of the Vatican's financial management under Pope Francis."
The Journal, citing people familiar with the funds' use, said that the assets of Peter's Pence have dwindled since Francis became pope in 2013 from more than $775 million to $665 million.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is the same Catholic church who's head sits on a throne made of gold, right?

Edit: or at least wears and is surrounded by extreme opulence.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is the same Catholic church who's head sits on a throne made of gold, right?

You'd think they could just pawn that off for a pretty penny, but I guess their love of useless pieces of wealth are more important than feeding the poor.

I'm not a biblical scholar, but I coulda swore the book had a few passages about this exact sort of moral conundrum!

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Re-posting from the duplicate thread:

Considering the Pope literally sits on a throne of gold and probably has dozens (hundreds) of other priceless treasures, you'd think they could just pawn some off for a pretty penny, but I guess their love of useless pieces of wealth are more important than feeding the poor.

I'm not a biblical scholar, but I coulda swore the book had a few passages about this exact sort of moral conundrum!

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am shocked that an organisation that laundered money for the Mafia would engage is such shady behaviour!