• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Smash Bros. needs Alis Landale badly.
871titlescreen.png

Get Shinguuji Sakura and watch Japanese twitter meltdown and the West get angry.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's awful.
It's baffling seeing the DQ hero get four basic recolors instead of a complete set of eight heroes.

Sakurai really has a talent of getting things so close, and screwing up at the end. Hopefully at least on of the remaining two DLC characters will be a women, but it's hard to feel confident when his history with adding women to the series so lackluster.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It isn't surprising at all since the Male character for the hero is default in DQ games. Even the marketing reflects this, even though DQ2 had a female hero along with the two male heroes.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, it's awful.
It's baffling seeing the DQ hero get four basic recolors instead of a complete set of eight heroes.

Sakurai really has a talent of getting things so close, and screwing up at the end. Hopefully at least on of the remaining two DLC characters will be a women, but it's hard to feel confident when his history with adding women to the series so lackluster.

He's not going to go out of his way to make 4 new models for female characters that are barely recognized in Enix themselves. The fact is that the default for the hero has been male with the female alt at best getting small nods every blue moon.

Also, the recolors are not basic since they represent a different hero too. Like how Shulk's different colors call backs to one of his friends.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
He's not going to go out of his way to make 4 new models for female characters that are barely recognized in Enix themselves. The fact is that the default for the hero has been male with the female alt at best getting small nods every blue moon.

Also, the recolors are not basic since they represent a different hero too. Like how Shulk's different colors call backs to one of his friends.
He went out of his way to give Bowser Jr. eight unique alts, and he can't do that for the series that created the JRPG genre?

While it is possible that this is Square Enix's fault, there's no need to defend Sakurai given the state of women in Smash.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
"Appalling" seems a bit strong of a word but I will agree that I was surprised and disappointed not to see any of the female alts among this crew. Sure they would have had to have gone the extra mile but this def seems like a place were it would have 100% been worth it.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Repeatedly dismissing concerns surrounding inclusivity and representation; previous related behaviour
He went out of his way to give Bowser Jr. eight unique alts, and he can't do that for the series that created the JRPG genre?

While it is possible that this is Square Enix's fault, there's no need to defend Sakurai given the state of women in Smash.

And Bowser Jr is what out of how many characters in Smash? That and it's purely Nintendo owned.

And I don't have to defend anything. I don't care about a female rep, I care about character themselves. So the idea of 'so-so needs females', I just don't care about. If the entire case is all male and it's all character I love and play, then don't care if there are no females.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
And Bowser Jr is what out of how many characters in Smash? That and it's purely Nintendo owned.

And I don't have to defend anything. I don't care about a female rep, I care about character themselves. So the idea of 'so-so needs females', I just don't care about. If the entire case is all male and it's all character I love and play, then don't care if there are no females.

You don't think inclusion is important?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It's really shitty. Especially if the whole pass ends up with nothing but male characters (no, Kazooie doesn't count).

Also I'm almost certain that Sofia is more popular than Solo.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I dont think we even know all alt costumes for the hero yet. Not having females is just speculation

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
They could have added the Dragon Quest 1 and 2 heroes to fill out the last 2 alts
The DQI hero only uses a few spells (fire and healing/defense), and the DQII hero doesn't use magic at all. He's just a regular swordfighter. The Smash move set really only works for the four heroes that were chosen.

Oct 25, 2017
i know everyone loves sakurai, but maybe its his decision on what material to use from the series?

like Nintendo likely gave him Hero as the character and he decided to not put in female alts.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Okay.
Honestly, it's fine if it doesn't bother you. Different thing matter to different people.

But if it doesn't bother you, then there should be no need to make excuses for the Smash team. These criticisms are directed Sakurai and Square Enix, not to you.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is why we'll get Elma and Kos-Mos as the last two characters in the fighters pass. Believe!

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If 8 and 11 had female alts then they'd probably be here but since they don't the reasoning was likely to keep it consistent and even.
Y'all making a bigger issue of this than it should be.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i know everyone loves sakurai, but maybe its his decision on what material to use from the series?

like Nintendo likely gave him Hero as the character and he decided to not put in female alts.
That would be weird of him, since he loves to put in female alts for nearly a half-dozen other characters - Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Villager, Bowser Jr, Pokemon Trainer, etc.

I think this one might be down to Square Enix or deadlines being the culprit, not the lack of interest.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Female corrin being default would be awful. She is only more popular than male corrin because some people are ok with badly written characters if they are fanservice. Acknowledging a character that is mostly fanservice as the main one is the opposite direction FE should go

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me it isn't. All my most wanted characters are and were male. If there were DQ female hero, I wouldn't be against it, but I'm not surprised or upset that they're all male.

It's totally fine if you don't care. You don't have to care. But "I don't care and its weird that anybody else does/nobody else should care" is rarely a good look.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
That would be weird of him, since he loves to put in female alts for nearly a half-dozen other characters - Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, Villager, Bowser Jr, Pokemon Trainer, etc.

I think this one might be down to Square Enix or deadlines being the culprit, not the lack of interest.
"Loves"

Leaf wasn't allowed to be a Pokemon Trainer until Ultimate.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there were female alts! It seemed like a no brainier to me, considering how they've done the other characters in Smash. Oh well.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's likely but I hope the theory some people have about making Echos of Kasumi from Persona and the Heroine's would be true.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 actually did pretty well in the female character department - we got Wii Fit, Palutena, Lucina, Robin, Corrin, Bayonneta, Rosalina...

Ultimate's only gotten Daisy so far, though I guess female PT also counts?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
"Appalling" seems a bit strong of a word but I will agree that I was surprised and disappointed not to see any of the female alts among this crew. Sure they would have had to have gone the extra mile but this def seems like a place were it would have 100% been worth it.
My feelings. It's definitely disappointing, appalling sounds... too much?

Honestly, I wish Daisy were her own character. I wish we also had Impa playable. If this were a bit more... thorough, maybe we'd have Lana and/or Cia from Hyrule Warriors. Hell, it'd be amusing to have Pauline be a character and have her sort of "Hulk out": as classic DK for some moves, maybe? Give her the hammer, let her through the flame guys, create platforms that fall, etc.
In fan circles she is, if you look it up you'd find much more art of sofia than you would of solo
Come on now, you know the reason for that...

Oct 25, 2017
Hero is like one of the characters where I feel like they could still 20 or 30 alts with all the different heroes and then including female versions of them. Really wanted Sophia and also wanted other heroes besides just those four. I do hope we get a bunch of DQ related spirits too.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory drive-by posting; previous ban for the same behavior
your vision doesn't match with theirs live with it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of wish they didn't bother with those high quality renders. Sakurai has mentioned them as a significant point in the workflow of Echoes, so that certainly limited alternate models here. Then again, he could have ended up with 8 male alts, considering how they didn't even bother with any female hero for the final smash.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, it's odd... On the other, it's weird to see people talking about Smash as a whole with this issue when every other character like this has a female alt.