• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me Germany could have scored more than 7 but because of some unwritten non-American honor, they decided not to... oh vey

Oh you didn't know? The team was told not to defend strongly during the play that gave Brazil their only goal. An honourable tradition American's don't know where you allow your opponent to lose with dignity. America needs to play without a keeper in the finals to have their honour restored. /s

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What an overly broad and ignorant thing to say. You truly think there is one sports culture in a nation that dictates everything?

You're German. Why are you so salty about the uswnt? Brits here have overwhelmingly said they're fine with it. But for some reason you're not. Hmm

Haha oh dear. I am Danish thank you very much. I am not salty. If you would read my comments I have said several times I thought the tea thing was funny and cool.

And yes I find it weird to be celebrating like mad after even the seventh goal against a team severely under your level.
But that doesnt mean I think it is wrong, but it is very much a thing you see with US athletes, that they celebrate every little victory to the fullest, wheras europeans tend to be more reserved when a team is utterly defeated.
Its simply a difference in culture. Why that pisses some of you of so much is beyond me?

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of you would fucking shit yourself if you saw a Hearts v Hibs or Celtic v Rangers match.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haha oh dear. I am Danish thank you very much. I am not salty. If you would read my comments I have said several times I thought the tea thing was funny and cool.

And yes I find it weird to be celebrating like mad after even the seventh goal against a team severely under your level.
But that doesnt mean I think it is wrong, but it is very much a thing you see with US athletes, that they celebrate every little victory to the fullest, wheras europeans tend to be more reserved when a team is utterly defeated.
Its simply a difference in culture. Why that pisses some of you of so much is beyond me?
Here you go again with your overly broad nonsense. Please provide examples where Americans celebrate "every little victory to the fullest." You have one example. If I were to be bothered I could go find videos of European athletes being stupid after a victory. But I can't be bothered.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Here you go again with your overly broad nonsense. Please provide examples where Americans celebrate "every little victory to the fullest." You have one example. If I were to be bothered I could go find videos of European athletes being stupid after a victory. But I can't be bothered.

Oh for fucks sake its right here in the thread. The comparrison with the germans win against brazil. I would love to find examples of danish teams but quite frankly we rarely win so that would be difficult.

I could list every single NFL match where every single touch down is celebrated in the most insane ways.
Yes you will get insane celebrations in euro football all the time, but not once a team is down by more than 4 goals, especially if that team is from the lower leagues.

In Denmark we have the concept of Janteloven. If you are truly interested in the difference go look that up. I think you will find that to be in stark contrast to the "American Dream" way of life.

And to really underline it since its apparently difficult to understand: I love the passion the americans show. Its just weird to see against clearly inferior teams when that is not something we are used to here.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me Germany could have scored more than 7 but because of some unwritten non-American honor, they decided not to... oh vey
Brazil was paralyzed.

Oh you didn't know? The team was told not to defend strongly during the play that gave Brazil their only goal. An honourable tradition American's don't know where you allow your opponent to lose with dignity. America needs to play without a keeper in the finals to have their honour restored. /s
Hummels said in an interview to a German news magazine after the game:
"I may not have felt pity, but I did feel sympathy. You don't want a team to play like that. I remember 2006, when we caught the 0:1 against Italy just before the end. This is the moment when dreams burst. That was the case here today in the 24th minute after our 3-0 win. I can understand that. Therefore, we wanted to continue to play seriously and not fool around. In no case we wanted to show the Brazilians up with magic tricks. We wanted to show our respect, because it can happen to us that we get under the wheels like this."

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh for fucks sake its right here in the thread. The comparrison with the germans win against brazil. I would love to find examples of danish teams but quite frankly we rarely win so that would be difficult.

I could list every single NFL match where every single touch down is celebrated in the most insane ways.
Yes you will get insane celebrations in euro football all the time, but not once a team is down by more than 4 goals, especially if that team is from the lower leagues.

In Denmark we have the concept of Janteloven. If you are truly interested in the difference go look that up. I think you will find that to be in stark contrast to the "American Dream" way of life.

And to really underline it since its apparently difficult to understand: I love the passion the americans show. Its just weird to see against clearly inferior teams when that is not something we are used to here.
Lol. So Danes are just stoic when they score a goal in a sport? And the NFL got rid of excessive celebrations. Get with the times. You're living in 2012

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is so full of shit I'm amazed you actually believe what you're typing. European club rivalries are even worse than Democrats-Republican animosity. They actually produced special DVDs commemorating the humiliation of their fiercest rivals. But no Europeans are more honorable (allegedly) hahaha

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Scoring in a World Cup, regardless of the opposition or scoreline, must be a special feeling that may *never* happen again. Celebrate the fuck out out of it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is so full of shit I'm amazed you actually believe what you're typing. European club rivalries are even worse than Democrats-Republican animosity. They actually produced special DVDs commemorating the humiliation of their fiercest rivals. But no Europeans are more honorable (allegedly) hahaha

The fans absolutely. And in rivalries yes. But not when the team is vastly inferior.
Obviously a Liverpool vs United match is going to get heated. But if United beat Swindon town fc 13 - 0 you are not going to see any over the top celebrations.
Also even Liverpool United or Tottenham vs Arsenal are quite civilized matches now. It was insane in the 90's but not anymore.

And there is a difference in gloating over a rival and someone not even in the same league. You really have to not have played any kind of sport yourselve to not be able to grasp that.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't say shit like that with this post directly above you.

Why not? Was that idiotic and overly long 'lets make a toilet' celebration happening after they'd scored their 10th goal? It's mildly entertaining after one goal sure, but I highly doubt they did that celebration for every single goal and even if they had, it's highly unlikely the score was 13-0 and they made a man toilet 13 times.

My point stands. A professional football team, comprising professional sportsmen, male or female, that still does overt celebrations after they've knocked in 13 fucking goals against a team of basically part time amateurs is crass, disrespectful and classless. Simple as that. There comes a point where what your celebrating has lost its point, it's not a challenge, it embarrassing for everyone involved.

Note, this is entirely different from celebrations. You celebrate however you like as long as it's not enforcing some negative aspect of a nation or a culture. I couldn't care less about the tea celebrations, as much as I couldn't care less about the daft celebrations that infest the men's game. They're fine, crack on. But if you're still doing them after goal number 9 flies in, past that hopelessly outclassed team of amateurs? You need to question why you're doing it and what point it serves other than publicly worshipping at the altar of your own arrogance.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. So Danes are just stoic when they score a goal in a sport? And the NFL got rid of excessive celebrations. Get with the times. You're living in 2012

You refused to read huh? Everyone celebrates and should. But you rarely if ever see European teams celebrate past the 4-0 against lower league teams. The reason I mention denmark is that we would not even be able to beat andorra with multiple digits. And Janteloven is a very ingraned part of our lifestyle. If you are humiliating a clearly inferiour opponent after a win your are going to get your own fans pissed at you.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Scoring in a World Cup, regardless of the opposition or scoreline, must be a special feeling that may *never* happen again. Celebrate the fuck out out of it.
Nope, the correct Danish way is to stand stoically like a statute and if the crowd is cheering your achievement, wave your arms (serenely and respectfully) at them to induce them to be silent. There can be no celebrating if one team is better than the other.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the correct Danish way is to stand stoically like a statute and if the crowd is cheering your achievement, wave your arms (serenely and respectfully) at them to induce them to be silent. There can be no celebrating if one team is better than the other.

Again never said it was the correct way. Simply said it was how we would act given the Thailand circumstances. For some reason that riles you lot up a great deal...

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Again never said it was the correct way. Simply said it was how we would act given the Thailand circumstances. For some reason that riles you lot up a great deal...
I'm not riled. I'm chilling eating some amazing BBQ and laughing at some guy on the internet who thinks celebrating achievements is cultural.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
My hypothesis around particularly the Thailand match was that this doesn't seem like an issue to Americans because we don't see American sports teams as villains while a sizable part of the rest of the world does. Americans don't have to deal with American teams constantly winning everything and taunting all the way through because we're never on the end of it (and in the few cases where we are, like after the Brazil loss in 2007, we immediately play victim), so it seems like American fans dance around the real issue on topics like this - We have trouble wrapping our heads around the idea that American teams aren't beloved and might just be disdained in the rest of the world. Does that ring true to non-Americans or is there something I'm missing?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My hypothesis around particularly the Thailand match was that this doesn't seem like an issue to Americans because we don't see American sports teams as villains while a sizable part of the rest of the world does. Americans don't have to deal with American teams constantly winning everything and taunting all the way through because we're never on the end of it (and in the few cases where we are, like after the Brazil loss in 2007, we immediately play victim), so it seems like American fans dance around the real issue on topics like this - We have trouble wrapping our heads around the idea that American teams aren't beloved and might just be disdained in the rest of the world. Does that ring true to non-Americans or is there something I'm missing?
Tons of international sports we're not very good at though. Men's soccer in the US, for example, ranges from average to poor compared to most of the major competitors. In the Olympics we tend to do very well, but it's very sport dependent. In the Winter Olympics we certainly do fairly poorly for a country with as many people/resources as we have. I think that Americans are used to losing on an international scale and non-American sports fans should have plenty of chances to see that.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Tons of international sports we're not very good at though. Men's soccer in the US, for example, ranges from average to poor compared to most of the major competitors. In the Olympics we tend to do very well, but it's very sport dependent. In the Winter Olympics we certainly do fairly poorly for a country with as many people/resources as we have. I think that Americans are used to losing on an international scale and non-American sports fans should have plenty of chances to see that.
Yeah, men's soccer is the one place where we don't dominate, where we're actually almost an underdog. Outside of that, though, Americans have led the medal table in terms of medals won at the summer olympics each time they've been held since the breakup of the Soviet Union, and led the games in Golds won in each of those olympics save for 2008, during which we were second to China. We haven't placed out of the top five in the medal table for the winter games since 1988. For the most part, in international competition on the highest scale, Americans tend to dominate and statistics back that up. Though, I recognize for Men's soccer, rugby, and cricket we're rarely a threat.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with sports. People just don't like Americans in general and will use any excuse to shit on us.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, men's soccer is the one place where we don't dominate, where we're actually almost an underdog. Outside of that, though, Americans have led the medal table in terms of medals won at the summer olympics each time they've been held since the breakup of the Soviet Union, and led the games in Golds won in each of those olympics save for 2008, during which we were second to China. We haven't placed out of the top five in the medal table for the winter games since 1988. For the most part, in international competition on the highest scale, Americans tend to dominate and statistics back that up. Though, I recognize for Men's soccer, rugby, and cricket we're rarely a threat.
I mean we have the third highest number of people and the most wealth, so finishing in the top 5 for Winter Games isn't something that is really a triumph for the US. Also in Summer Olympics we do quite well, but it depends how you gauge success whether we "won' some of them. In 2008 China won 12 more gold medals than the US, while the US won 12 total medals more than China. Most would consider that a Chinese victory as most (rightfully) put a higher value of Gold than Silver and Bronze. The sports we don't care about like Rugby, Ice Hockey, Cricket, etc... still compete (and lose). We tend to care more about what we win which is why the summer olympics are so much more popular in the US than the winter olypmpics, which skews our view of how we do across sports in general. Don't get me wrong, I think the US does quite well overall in international sports, but we're not this utterly dominant power that never loses and makes all other countries/teams seem like underdogs.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm English.. saw the celebration live (the tea one)..

It's just bants, fucking I wasn't even aware of the "it's just tea" thing

Seems like more Americans are worrying over this than English honestly

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Football and class don't really go together.

Carles Puyol would like a word with you.

DE1fO.gif

I dislike Barca with a fury of a supernova star, but Puyol I have a great deal of respect for.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Carles Puyol would like a word with you.

DE1fO.gif

I dislike Barca with a fury of a supernova star, but Puyol I have a great deal of respect for.

Were the women doing choreographed celebrations in the faces of their opponents or merely expressing profound joy at having scored a World Cup goal?

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like trash talk, a lot of gloating, or shit like teabagging in video games. I know some people love it, but it's too much imo. Even as the winner I empathize with the losing team and feel bad with shit like this, unless I truly dislike you and want to crush you (and then it's just too real to get ugly).

For those reasons, I'm not into these excessive celebrations. I prefer respectful competition. Celebration is great, bit.not at the expense of others.

I'm not mad at these women though. It's not for me, but it's fairly reasonable ground to tread in sports.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
This thread would have actually been more relevant if it were about the Thailand game, which was in poor taste. 20 plus pages over a woman fucking drinking tea lol
Tut, Tut, tut. Women behaving badly: the thread.

People can post hundreds of examples of men acting like clowns and shitheads, but a woman mimics drinking tea after scoring? Worthy of 20+ page thread, apparently.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Football and class don't really go together.

I'm aaallll about taunting and being a piece of shit to your competition when it's a level playing field and they're like...local competition. If someone wants to flip their bat and show boat after a home run in an MLB game against another MLB team, hell yeah. But like...know your audience? This is an international competition? Maybe be nice to the newcomers? But if that's just not a thing in football/soccer, well, hell if I'd know I don't watch it anyway.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I personally found Griezmann doing the Take the L dance to Croatian fans in last year's World Cup much more disrespectful than the tea sipping one.

The celebrations against Thailand were in bad taste, though.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting some hard core, american style poor winning... instead the OP delivers playing the game and drinking tea...

Oct 25, 2017
Came into this thread expecting something terrible, but lo and behold it's absolutely nothing. I mean really? Like this is something controversial? Lol

Oct 30, 2017
if anything this is probably the most culturally authentic moment in america's football history. i thought it was great banter and totally in line with what you'd see in europe.

the thailand thing isn't offensive IMO, but it is a bit lame. you can't possibly be as happy about the 12th goal as the 2nd, so it's weird to act like that.

Oct 25, 2017
These "Poor Thailand" posts are so weird. Some of these posts make it sound like the equivalent of the Golden State Warriors just styled on the equivalent of a high school basketball team

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think the tea thing was absolutely fine, the WMNT need some wins, they are brash and great, I love them. That said, they could've toned it down with the 13-0...against Thailand. There's a reason for that, you need to also understand where the opposition is coming from, what is their infrastructure, budget etc. There was no need to humiliate them, not saying to stop playing, rather showing empathy.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
These "Poor Thailand" posts are so weird. Some of these posts make it sound like the equivalent of the Golden State Warriors just styled on the equivalent of a high school basketball team
Thailand's team has a fantastic story, but that's why they deserve to be treated like every other team. If they had pulled back at all it would have been disrespectful to the work Thailand put in to get to the tournament. I'm sure it stung, but they know they weren't pitied or treated like they weren't worthy of a complete performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand's team has a fantastic story, but that's why they deserve to be treated like every other team. If they had pulled back at all it would have been disrespectful to the work Thailand put in to get to the tournament. I'm sure it stung, but they know they weren't pitied or treated like they weren't worthy of a complete performance.

Yeah, Thailand deserved to be there as much as any other team, and they deserved to be treated like any other team.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if anything this is probably the most culturally authentic moment in america's football history. i thought it was great banter and totally in line with what you'd see in europe.

the thailand thing isn't offensive IMO, but it is a bit lame. you can't possibly be as happy about the 12th goal as the 2nd, so it's weird to act like that.
Why shouldn't they be allowed to be happy? The reason they celebrated like that because they knew the other women could take it. The reason you don't do that in the men soccer because they would break down and cry a lot (as evidenced by this thread).