• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the 2014 World Cup semi-final between Brazil and Germany?
Germany led 5-0 at half time and could've easily scored double figures.
The game ended 7-1 and is a meme to this day.
If you know what that game did to a nation, just imagine what could have been.

Scoring 13 against Thailand was just being a bully.

Showing mercy is a virtue, as is being graceful in victory.
Maybe I'd remember, or care, if Germany scored more.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

I remember it like it was yesterday
k43v85a1p0fq1zo8dpqp.jpg

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
They are one of the most scoring nations in World Cup history...
for a men's game that 7-1 was insane, especially given that Brazil was one the favorites to win the wc.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I find it strange people use that game as some example of universal virtue everyone must follow. Germany was knocking Brazil out of the tournament, Brazil happened to be the host country, and even with everything being 100% equal, of course you're going to see different players/teams/cultures respond differently to such situations.

You could make the argument that showing pride and happiness at every goal is in itself a valid form of respect, and either way, the Thailand game was a different situation: it didn't decide Thailand's fate, every goal scored potentially mattered for winning the group, and we weren't Thailand's guests. :P

It's weird seeing people turn "I felt kinda bad for Thailand, I wouldn't have personally kept celebrating" into hyperbolic nonsense about bullying or whatever.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
there is a difference between scoring many goals during the Group Stage and scoring too many goals during the Knock Out Stage.

During the Group Stage, you would want to beef up your Goal Differential as an insurance policy... just in case you end up tied in points in the Group

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't especially care about the celebrations beating England, or celebrations generally as long as they're not taking the piss out of negative stereotypes.

Celebrating every goal long and loud in the 13 goal drubbing of the amateur Thai team though? That showed a deep lack of class and respect.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I find it strange people use that game as some example of universal virtue everyone must follow. Germany was knocking Brazil out of the tournament, Brazil happened to be the host country, and even with everything being 100% equal, of course you're going to see different players/teams/cultures respond differently to such situations.

You could make the argument that showing pride and happiness at every goal is in itself a valid form of respect, and either way, the Thailand game was a different situation: it didn't decide Thailand's fate, every goal scored potentially mattered for winning the group, and we weren't Thailand's guests. :P

It's weird seeing people turn "I felt kinda bad for Thailand, I wouldn't have personally kept celebrating" into hyperbolic nonsense about bullying or whatever.

It is simply a personal preference. I dont see any reason to wildly celebrate goals once your are past 4 or 5-0. The game is won already. No need to dunk further on the loosing team.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Going all out while on like the 11th goal against a newbie team is a pretty lame look tbh.
Most of these players wait their whole life to score a goal in the World Cup. Most of these players never know if they are going to get the chance again. It's a big fucking deal and apex of their entire career/life's work.

Let them celebrate.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't especially care about the celebrations beating England, or celebrations generally as long as they're not taking the piss out of negative stereotypes.

Celebrating every goal long and loud in the 13 goal drubbing of the amateur Thai team though? That showed a deep lack of class and respect.
You can't say shit like that with this post directly above you.

Plenty of time for the ladies to learn this glorious goal celebration:

giphy.gif

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It is simply a personal preference. I dont see any reason to wildly celebrate goals once your are past 4 or 5-0. The game is won already. No need to dunk further on the loosing team.
Perhaps the celebrations had nothing to do with the other team, and the person scoring simply felt a great amount of joy about fulfilling a lifetime goal?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This thread would have actually been more relevant if it were about the Thailand game, which was in poor taste. 20 plus pages over a woman fucking drinking tea lol

Oct 25, 2017
"Some of you"

You can keep me out of that shit. Pointing out that it's a poor look is not the same as.. whatever that is.
They played a game. One team won fair and square and celebrated their win and you want to convince me it's a bad look for reasons ...

The BS we've covered so far

Unwritten rules
Class
Sportsmanship
Thailand being new

All of which I say, who cares besides uptight snobs.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you do "la gallinita" (little chicken) in River Plate's stadium (Argentina) you can start a huge, campal fight between fans and the player can get send off.

LightTenderBug-small.gif

I believe drinking tea is OK. Now looking forward what celebration they will do when US gets the second place in the WWC.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They played a game. One team won fair and square and celebrated their win and you want to convince me it's a bad look for reasons ...

The BS we've covered so far

Unwritten rules
Class
Sportsmanship
Thailand being new

All of which I say, who cares besides uptight snobs.
Quit being so defensive dude. You don't have to agree with me. Sportsmanship is something that carries over into personality it's not "for snobs", that's weird take, and blasting a shitty team out of the stadium 13 nothing isn't a good look when they can't even score a goal. It's not a dealbreaker for me, I still like the team and am rooting for them but it's a bad look. You're not either with them or against them so quit forcing some shitty ultimatum. You can still like them and apply criticism.

Oct 25, 2017
Quit being so defensive dude. You don't have to agree with me. Sportsmanship is something that carries over into personality it's not "for snobs", that's weird take, and blasting a shitty team out of the stadium 13 nothing isn't a good look when they can't even score a goal. It's not a dealbreaker for me, I still like the team and am rooting for them but it's a bad look. You're not either with them or against them so quit forcing some shitty ultimatum. You can still like them and apply criticism.
Nothing about that was defensive. I just think it's a bullshit argument. Maybe stop treating Thailand like a little league team which is the basis of the argument really.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

I was in Brazil that day (or well, not really Brazil since it's a border city but still) and people were fucking devastated lol. The streets were empty, many stores straight up didn't open, there were torn apart Brazilian flags on the mud... It sure was something

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

This is such ridiculous attitude considering that it was very likely that Sweden could have easily run up the score against Thailand too. Were the Americans supposed to operate under the assumption that Sweden wouldn't score as many goals as they did, and that they would show mercy if they did? Scoring those goals weren't the problem, it was the celebrations (for some) as the tally kept growing.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Nothing about that was defensive. I just think it's a bullshit argument. Maybe stop treating Thailand like a little league team which is the basis of the argument really.
Yeah, the people treating Thailand like they were defenseless little children are disrespecting them far more than an innocent display of excitement over having scored a goal in the world cup in front of a giant cheering crowd. And to claim it's an "American culture" thing is beyond stupid. Is dictating to female athletes how to celebrate properly a cultural thing as well?

Oct 26, 2017
Hate the celebrations? Don't let the opposing team score, simple.

I see people say this, but in the case of USA - Thailand, can you really say this when there is a significant talent disparity between the two teams?

Saying "don't let them score" loses meaning at that point. Especially factoring in the difference in developmental systems.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How many videos of other cultures doing waaay more notable celebrations have been posted in this thread. You have to actively ignore them to make this kind of post.

The only relevant one to the given scenario was Germany destroying Brazil. The Germans chose to not humiliate the other team further, the Americans didn't. It's a culture thing.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd get more offended if I knew the other team wasn't trying and was sandbagging. Especially at that level of competition. Might as well institute a mercy rule then if you're gonna complain about this type of stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
The only relevant one to the given scenario was Germany destroying Brazil. The Germans chose to not humiliate the other team further, the Americans didn't. It's a culture thing.
So you admit you are actively ignoring the other examples. Cool. Thank you.

Bruv, it was 5 years ago. Germany made their decision. I don't care, they did them. US made their decision, they did them. My point is, it's weird to point to either as right or wrong when no actual rule was broken.

Just saying, maybe let's try not to sound like J. Jonah Jameson almost verbatim (this is directed at the rest of the thread) on some "this bitch is eating crackers" tissy.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean the WC was in Brazil and that game was played in front of what was largely Brazilian fans. Not wanting to start a riot probably also played a role in their reservations in how they celebrated right?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So you admit you are actively ignoring the other examples. Cool. Thank you.

Bruv, it was 5 years ago. Germany made their decision. I don't care, they did them. US made their decision, they did them. My point is, it's weird to point to either as right or wrong when no actual rule was broken.

Did I say it was wrong? I said it's a difference in sports culture. Which is also why the reaction to it is polar opposite between Americans and the rest of the soccer world.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did I say it was wrong? I said it's a difference in sports culture. Which is also why the reaction to it is polar opposite between Americans and the rest of the soccer world.
You're telling me Germany could have scored more than 7 but because of some unwritten non-American honor, they decided not to... oh vey

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Don't think any english people actually cared? Least this thread is the first I'm hearing off it.

The 13 goals thing to me is a poor look. It's just kind if cringe to celebrate wildly when you're opponents are so clearly way worse than you. The score being run up is whatever but no need to celebrate like you're doing something special.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What an overly broad and ignorant thing to say. You truly think there is one sports culture in a nation that dictates everything?

You're German. Why are you so salty about the uswnt? Brits here have overwhelmingly said they're fine with it. But for some reason you're not. Hmm