• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Wow we're really going to keep talking about this hm? THE nation of "banter" "hooliganism" really can't take a little ribbing? Incredible

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious to me that people are angry over something so silly. It's sports and celebration is a part of it. I also strongly believe this wouldn't even be a discussion if it was the men's world cup
Of course not lol.

Women are supposed to dainty little angels lol. Sarcasm if not obvious lol.

nuoh_my_god

Nov 11, 2017
Ireland
Lux is never going to make it to the World Cup and they never had. It's the World Cup, the holy grail of soccer. Distribution has zero to do with it.

FIFA decided to expand the amount of teams but that that does have impact, especially in early group stage when plus/minus means everything.

Edit:

Celebration of Sport, yes. But to play like the men's side operates in a manner that prioritizes community is wrong. World cup is about winning.

When Germany laid that 7-1 win on Brazil in the Final, why didn't they stop at 4? They didn't need a goal advantage for future play. That's they kind of criticism that is being leveled at the US women's team and it is pretty ridiculous. It wasn't a friendly.

It is fine to score 13, even 30. But kinda letgo on the celebrating a bit after they go two digit at least. Thats embarrasing.

OP
OP
The King beyond the wall
Oct 27, 2017
We have actually seen people nearly get banned for celebrations in the world cup last year. Shaq and Xhaka were almost banned and received fines for their double eagle celebration.

I am not really understanding the sexism argument. People get HEATED when it comes to this. Do people think there would not be outage from people if the England men's team reached the semi finals against a dominant team and the dominant team started doing these kind of celebrations? Do people really think there would be no outrage? Nonsense. People are lying to themselves or are not aware just how important football is to some people. The outrage would be far greater than this and anyone who denies this is either lying to themselves or not familiar with football. We're talking about people who were crying when England failed to reach the final last year.

it is easy for an outsider to point and laugh at this sort of thing because they are not invested in it. But when you are invested in football and your life has been nothing but your team winning the tournament, it can get crazy when something like this happens for some people.

I forgot about this celebration and it was definitely inappropriate. Are there any other examples of celebrations referencing the opponent's nation or history?

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'll never understand this.

You see people like Ronaldo complimented left and right for their competitive spirit, their hunger for goals. He can score 5 against Granada, make it 9-1, and still celebrate like it was his first goal of the season - for this, he is (for the most part) praised and admired.

Nope, he's just as much of an arrogant douchebag as Alex Morgan. You won't see me praising him for his behavior.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
What are you even on about? That wasnt a comment on the superiority of men, they are just lagging in number of players.
Who said anything about men versus women? Nowhere in my post does it say that. Way to just make something up. You're attacking the US for something the rest of the world also does. Men's fifa and the EPL being a men's league is just part of it. Its not a gender issue at all. Women's Fifa isnt corrupt currently

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait when women soccer catches up throughout the world and the American team becomes mediocre just like the men's. It's only a matter of time now.

Only reason they're the best is because they're the only ones who cared for the past 30 years. Kinda like American football lol

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's sport without salt anyway?

I can't wait when women soccer catches up throughout the world and the American team becomes mediocre just like the men's. It's only a matter of time now.

Only reason they're the best is because they're the only ones who cared for the past 30 years. Kinda like American football lol

See that's what I'm talking about. SO delicious.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
English fans once heckled German fans by saying "If you won the war, stand up!", after which all the English fans in the stadium would stand, sit, and then repeat the call. Such is sports?
Once?
English football is 80% WW2 stuff by volume. Probably their biggest stadium Anthem is The Great Escpae FFS.
Remember when John Cleese made a video begging them not to keep bringing the up the war?

Spoiler: it didn't work.

Yeah, but whine more about the tea lmao.

Nov 7, 2017

What a positive way to live

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
lol

7ygaeyqwxftxbgkzw.png

I love how the Italians have to shoulder the shit talking of their own country themselves 🤣

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Post after post of people bemoaning the English for complaining about this, accusing us of a sense of humour failure, hypocrisy etc...it's all made up. We don't care about this at all. No-one is talking about this. It's just clickbait bullshit.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine the gifs and pics we would see if England won. Come on, we all know it would be epic so lets not be so salty when the US won.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

You are clueless as to the sports landscape in America so keep waiting it's going to be awhile.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca

hahahahahaha you have to wait to git gud WE DON'T

USA USA USA USA

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
I'd almost call it unsporting, but the most discussion it should merit is a passing comment from commentators during the match and the equivalent of Alan Shearer laughing about it post-game.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of annoying that people are even having this conversation.

These guys/gals are playing a game, let them have fun if they want too.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Post after post of people bemoaning the English for complaining about this, accusing us of a sense of humour failure, hypocrisy etc...it's all made up. We don't care about this at all. No-one is talking about this. It's just clickbait bullshit.

Why anyone would ever accuse the English of lacking a sense of humor is beyond me. Never seen so much self-deprecation as in the UK myself haha

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Well people are probably just reacting to the thread title. What's OPs nationality?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, he's just as much of an arrogant douchebag as Alex Morgan. You won't see me praising him for his behavior.

Okay, so? I said "for the most part" for a reason.

Anyone who has paid attention to football for the past however long has seen players, coaches, commentators, etc., etc. compliment his endless hunger for goals again and again and again.

Go ahead and put your head in the sand and pretend there hasn't been a disparity between reaction to players like him and reaction to players like Alex Morgan (btw, is this specific quality actually the reason you dislike Ronaldo, or is it just convenient for you to conflate a bunch of things haphazardly right now...?), but there absolutely has been.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Lmao what kind of white sensitivity level is trying to evoke the Boston Tea Party

Lmao must be nice

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
People need to grow the fuck up. When you can beat them in their sport, then you can tell them how they can and cant celebrate. Until then just watch the show as its presented to you.

That fact has never once stopped people from diving on a thread claiming Americans are up in arms over something dumb no one here actually cares about. Take it easy and just ignore it if it genuinely doesn't apply to you.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You salty for no reason

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think anyone was offended, just british people take football a bit more serious & get more mad when they lose, while if USA loses to Netherlands or Sweden, Americans will just kinda move on & congratulate their team for getting that far.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think there's a country where women soccer is nearly as popular as it is the US, and the US in general has just fantastic infrastructure, from very young age through college.
Also, one of the biggest problems of the men side in the US is that most of the best athletes choose other sports, and that's less of a issue on the women side.

So I wouldn't hold my breath for the US to suck any time soon.
Also, if you care about women soccer you probably shouldn't hope for the US to suck, because if the US stopped caring about women soccer tomorrow that sport would take a massive massive step backward, one that I'm not sure it will be able to recover from.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
7 pages over this shit?
This is like the least "offensive" celebration ever. People really need to learn how to properly invest their energy.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its really just thinly veiled misogyny at the end of the day. A desire to put women in their place, so to speak.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018

1. So by your reasoning, the problem is that the rest of the world doesn't care about women's football, despite the fact that football is the most popular sport in the world by a large margin. You can see how that's not a good look for the rest of the world, right? Like, saying that the rest of the world doesn't care about a sport that's exactly the same as the most popular sport in the world except played by the wrong gender is not something to brag about.

2. People keep saying the world is going to catch up (I can literally remember this exact point being made during the World Cup 8 years ago). And yes, the US team will at some point not be as dominant as it is right now, but I really doubt they're just going to fall off a cliff.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I can't even believe this is a thread tbh.

I watch a good amount of sports. That seems hardly controversial.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I am stunned at how this is any kind of an issue and that it needed another thread. There is probably 10 pages of this nonsense already in the World Cup OT. This is really just starting to seem like sour grapes at this point. Relax folks it's a game...

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
So the thirteen colony flag is glorifying slavery and stuff but celebrating the thirteen colonies isn't?

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to stop listening to Piers Morgan. He works for a low rated breakfast show who will insert himself into any argument to boost ratings.

As for all the remarks about the chants and hooligans that is true for some clubs but also not as bad as it used to be. Don't some supporters of US side riot whenever their team wins the pennant?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

Just like how when the rest of the world became interested in basketball, the US men's team faded into mediocrity.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, the few vocal Brits who are truly upset by this just can't reconcile their superiority complex over the US with losing to the US in a competition.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about this celebration and it was definitely inappropriate. Are there any other examples of celebrations referencing the opponent's nation or history?

I cannot think of any off the top of my head. I think both the one in OP and the Shaq celebration last year were inappropriate but I can understand why they done it in the moment without putting much thought into it. I do think it is much less of an issue in women's football because the reaction from fans is just not the same as in men's football.

It is never wise for any footballer to gloat to losing fans just incase it is taken the wrong way. Football is literally life to many people and I am not sure why people in this thread cannot see why gloating to a losing team is just wrong.