• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Stop being ignorant. People DIE from heat every year in the US. People DIED this year in England because it reached mild levels of heat. People died when I lived there 15 years ago when it got to the low 90s F. It's not a luxury and a lot of you need to see that.

Stop putting your head in the sand. Of course, those at high risk of death like the elderly and the infirmed should use AC, but that has nothing to do with the excessive use of AC in many parts of the united states.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Disgusted by the number of dismissive, self - entitled, hands over ears comments in this thread.

if these are the comments in a seemingly Liberal /let - meaning forum, then I fear to think what the rest of America thinks. It is pretty obvious that there will not be any meaningful change.
i know right? These people won't listen, and think they know better than people that live in a place. Fucking entitled pricks that don't know anything telling other people to just "move" or "don't build in that city" as if we had any control over where and when people built cities decades ago.

Sure! Let's limit ourselves to residential spaces (since that's where the discussion began with the OP) and look at the United States compared to the EU 28 (for ease of data collection).

US residences account for 731 trillion Btu of space cooling energy consumed in 2015. Converted to joules for ease of comparison (don't worry, I'll do the math) that is 771246 TJ. This is according to the data from the US Energy Information Administration collected here: https://www.eia.gov/consumption/residential/data/2015/c&e/pdf/ce3.1.pdf

EU residences account for 7635790 TJ of energy consumed in 2017. This is according to the data from EuroStat collected here (go to a link to "Energy consumption in households" for an Excel book with the relevant breakdown):
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/stati..._consumption_in_households_by_type_of_end-use

Based on raw quantities the EU uses 9.9 times as much heating energy as the US uses cooling energy in residences! Wow!

Let's adjust for population: In 2015 the estimated US population was 320.1 million people. In 2017 the EU 28 population was 511.8 million people. The per-capita energy uses were then:
  • US cooling energy in 2015: 2409 MJ per capita
  • EU heating energy in 2017: 14920 MJ per capita

By capita the EU 28 uses 6.19 times as much heating energy as the US uses cooling energy. Zounds!

All things considered, in Europe and everywhere, cooling energy use in cooling-dominated climates is a rounding error compared to heating energy use in heating-dominated climates

(And I've let Europe off easy by not including Russia, which is a MONUMENTAL consumer of heating energy).

e: I've adjusted the numbers for math, rendering everything in TJ to match the EuroStat numbers. I think the point still stands, the difference between heating and cooling energy consumption is vast.
im quoting this again because its amazing.
Why don't these Euros just close their window and put on a sweater?
funny enough we stayed with friends for a couple of days in London during christmas, and they had the heat cranked way up, and left a windows open for "fresh air" or some shit.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Stop putting your head in the sand. Of course, those at high risk of death like the elderly and the infirmed should use AC, but that has nothing to do with the excessive use of AC in many parts of the united states.
What's excessive? And do you realize energy consumed for homes account for 6% of the US's total consumption?

And it's not just the elderly lol. We're talking healthy grown adults can suffer heat stroke and die easily from the heat in the SouthEast and West. High School athletes die from heat stroke. You said it is not a necessity and you're plain wrong.

Again, regular people don't need to pay the price for something that needs to start with corporations and the government. Renewable energy will help along with the new building codes that are required at a federal level.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Out of interest, do we know what the average temperature in the hotter parts of the US was back in pioneer days before significant global warming? I'm curious if this is more a "we settled there when it was basically manageable and now global warming's made it significantly hotter" or more a "The hardy early settlers Just Basically Coped with the heat"?

Well, as a Phoenix resident, I'm sure it was at least a little easier for earlier settlers as in the summer the nights would be cooler due to no heat island effect. Also very few people lived here before electricity. In 1900 the Phoenix are population was probably around 10k, and those people probably just put up with it.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure plenty of people have already addressed quite a lot that's wrong with this post, but I'll jump in and say that in most of the more rural areas of the sub-tropical US, a year's worth of rent only lasts about 2 months in those urban population centers. You're quite literally asking mostly poor people to just go live in Manhattan, which isn't a real solution.

The answer is better energy efficiency. AC units are already 30 to 50 percent more efficient than they were in the 70s, and that can keep going down. Also the answer is for people to get on the same page about realistic solutions to these problems instead of "let the poor people in the hot places die"

I suspected this might also be the case. I've mentioned this anecdote before, but a friend from the UK once asked me if we could roadtrip out to LA for a long weekend vacation (about 4 days).

We were in Mississippi.

Often people from Europe want to make 1-1 comparisons between their own country and the US (compare a nation to a nation, makes sense on paper), but outside of Russia, the largest European country (Ukraine, according to Wikipedia) fits inside of Texas, which isn't even the largest US state out of 50.

heh, just looking at it, that same Mississippi to LA trip is about the same distance trip as Gibraltar to Prague.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
So I live in Phoenix, and my AC is not on constantly. Most days in the summer I have my AC set to 81 degree to save costs and it's not running 24/7. It can be uncomfortable but I can't afford to run it lower.

During the months of April, May, and November, I can get away with turning it off completely and just leaving my windows open at night to cool down the house.

My relatives in Iowa leave their AC on constantly, and around 65 degrees. Mainly because it's a lot, lot cheaper out there, so they don't feel any financial burden to run it cold.

My mom used to visit a patient's house (she's a home nurse) who had no air conditioning. The house was so hot that the kids preferred playing outside where there was wind blowing. It's possible to survive living in the desert without AC, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

The best solution going forward is to make the machines more efficient and use renewable energy to run them.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, reading through this thread it's amazing how sensitive Americans are to any criticism. Planet is being destroyed but 'fuck you, I like being cold.'

We need to be aware of these things and throwing your toys our of the pram so easily isn't a good look, nobody is forcing you to change but statistics such as these must be sobering to a certain extent rather than just an opportunity to complain, no?
Do you heat your home?

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So I live in Phoenix, and my AC is not on constantly. Most days in the summer I have my AC set to 81 degree to save costs and it's not running 24/7. It can be uncomfortable but I can't afford to run it lower.

During the months of April, May, and November, I can get away with turning it off completely and just leaving my windows open at night to cool down the house.

My relatives in Iowa leave their AC on constantly, and around 65 degrees. Mainly because it's a lot, lot cheaper out there, so they don't feel any financial burden to run it cold.

My mom used to visit a patient's house (she's a home nurse) who had no air conditioning. The house was so hot that the kids preferred playing outside where there was wind blowing. It's possible to survive living in the desert without AC, but it isn't for the faint of heart.

The best solution going forward is to make the machines more efficient and use renewable energy to run them.

One thing that has been mentioned in his thread is that cooling in the desert is different than cooling in a humid environment like the US southeast. Where in the desert you can cool your house at night due to the temperature drops, the humidity in the south east keeps the air hot all night so there isn't any relief.

It gets above 95 degrees in Atlanta for a long time and the humidity keeps that feeling there for months.

Tk0n

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Today I learned that humans can't live in warm climates without getting a heat stroke.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
One thing that has been mentioned in his thread is that cooling in the desert is different than cooling in a humid environment like the US southeast. Where in the desert you can cool your house at night due to the temperature drops, the humidity in the south east keeps the air hot all night so there isn't any relief.

It gets above 95 degrees in Atlanta for a long time and the humidity keeps that feeling there for months.

Well, to be fair, here in Phoenix even though it cools down at night, it still never goes below 80°F for like 2 months out of the year. Even now its still like 90°F at midnight.

However, due to the low humidity, it is more manageable, but its still hot all the time.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
is the use of natural gas for heating really that common in european countries?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is the use of natural gas for heating really that common in european countries?
In 2015 roughly 47% of heating energy came from natural gas and fossil fuels as a whole represented 66% of heating energy, which is about the same as the U.S., with renewable sources only providing a tiny sliver of energy in both regions.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
It's probably already been mentioned but it's about time architects think a bit more about energy retention when it comes to building homes.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Italy is warmer than most of the US and uses far less AC.
They have laws that prevent AC from being used in certain months of the year. USA does not have that.

And having lived in Italy, yeah it sometimes got up there but on average, the summers aren't as hot as most of the south east or the west.

Take a look at average temps in August for Italy vs Georgia:

Georgia:
zxcv990.png

Italy:
cvbRhwp.png

Georgia numbers are based on averages from 1981 to 2010. Italy numbers are averages from 1971 to 2000. I'm sure these numbers go up when comparing the last 10-20 years.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Take a look at average temps in August for Italy vs Georgia:

Georgia:
zxcv990.png

Italy:
cvbRhwp.png

Georgia numbers are based on averages from 1981 to 2010. Italy numbers are averages from 1971 to 2000. I'm sure these numbers go up when comparing the last 10-20 years.

And to note: Georgia isn't even the hottest state. Florida, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona all have higher temps

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Does any serious academic climate solution paper out there list "Populations should use less AC" as one of their items towards resolution. Specifically population decision as opposed to making more efficient systems (as this is already and has always been underway as AC system producers have financial incentive to do so).

If not, maybe it should be considered why.

Maybe it's because those plans suggest using social capital for policy change as opposed to individual sacrifices as it is more efficient. Hell the article itself lists that the solutions should be better architecture requirements (which LEED building standards already push) and more efficient cooling systems (which it says is already being researched). Don't know why the takeaway from some people here is "Lazy spoiled Americans should just deal more and turn off their stuff".

Hell the OP article itself is 80% mentioning the other solutions (policy, engineering, etc) that should be and are being approached first but then as a section on "A simple solution is to just use it less".

I think what is frustrating about the narrative recently is that most articles that have been coming about what the individual can do have been these small ass changes that diverts the individuals attention from fighting for the major changes that need to happen. Convincing people to spend their influence time and energy on mopping up puddles when the flood is coming. I think these articles come out because they are divisive enough to get lots of clicks as articles on major policy changes, organizational research that can be donated to, and others are boring and don't generate clicks.

It's even more useful if you get to point to another country and yell "their population is the problem. They need to get their shit together" as it's a convenient distraction from introspection.

Edit: On a personal note, I haven't used heating or cooling in the US for 10 years. Never needed it in SF.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
And to note: Georgia isn't even the hottest state. Florida, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona all have higher temps
Right. I was being very kind with that comparison. Mainly to show how tired I am of people talking out of their ass. I should have shown the humidity numbers. Those should closely match Italy's.

I will say, the first week I moved to the US, I got sick from the AC. I had a cold mainly from the cold air on my skin as I slept. After nearly two decades in But I got used to it after touring East Carolina's campus. I discovered there's a huge difference in deodorant and antiperspirant.

Dec 8, 2018
A high in the 80s is actual perfection. Most of the US does not have that. Large swathes of the US have highs in the hundreds for multiple weeks, months. Toronto is further south than London.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
AC usage is only going to go up, and places that aren't equipped to deal with rising temperatures will have to adapt quickly.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of cities across the world that would not be as large as they are without AC.