• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Good article in the Guardian. Will the US and Americans realize how luxurious of a life they live? Will they let go off the over-excessive use of air condition that they have everywhere in their homes, buildings, and cars? Will the adoption of AC in other warm countries such as India be curbed? IN a climate-changing world, AC seems to be the thing that will be the plaster on the wound that will only makes thing worse. It's a long article, but I tried pull out some quotes.

On a regular day, New York City demands around 10,000MW every second; during a heatwave, that figure can exceed 13,000MW. "Do the math, whatever that gap is, is the AC," Michael Clendenin, a company spokesman, told me. The combination of high demand and extreme temperature can cause parts of the system to overheat and fail, leading to blackouts. In 2006, equipment failure left 175,000 people in Queens without power for a week, during a heatwave that killed 40 people.

This year, by the evening of Sunday 21 July, with temperatures above 36C (97F) and demand at more than 12,000MW every second, Con Edison cut power to 50,000 customers in Brooklyn and Queens for 24 hours, afraid that parts of the nearby grid were close to collapse, which could have left hundreds of thousands of people without power for days. The state had to send in police to help residents, and Con Edison crews dispensed dry ice for people to cool their homes.

As the world gets hotter, scenes like these will become increasingly common. Buying an air conditioner is perhaps the most popular individual response to climate change, and air conditioners are almost uniquely power-hungry appliances: a small unit cooling a single room, on average, consumes more power than running four fridges, while a central unit cooling an average house uses more power than 15. "Last year in Beijing, during a heatwave, 50% of the power capacity was going to air conditioning," says John Dulac, an analyst at the International Energy Agency (IEA). "These are 'oh shit' moments."

There are just over 1bn single-room air conditioning units in the world right now – about one for every seven people on earth. Numerous reports have projected that by 2050 there are likely to be more than 4.5bn, making them as ubiquitous as the mobile phone is today. The US already uses as much electricity for air conditioning each year as the UK uses in total. The IEA projects that as the rest of the world reaches similar levels, air conditioning will use about 13% of all electricity worldwide, and produce 2bn tonnes of CO2 a year – about the same amount as India, the world's third-largest emitter, produces today.

What fuelled the rise of the air conditioning was not a sudden explosion in consumer demand, but the influence of the industries behind the great postwar housing boom. Between 1946 and 1965, 31m new homes were constructed in the US, and for the people building those houses, air conditioning was a godsend. Architects and construction companies no longer had to worry much about differences in climate – they could sell the same style of home just as easily in New Mexico as in Delaware. The prevailing mentality was that just about any problems caused by hot climates, cheap building materials, shoddy design or poor city planning could be overcome, as the American Institute of Architects wrote in 1973, "by the brute application of more air conditioning". As Cooper writes, "Architects, builders and bankers accepted air conditioning first, and consumers were faced with a fait accompli that they merely had to ratify."

Equally essential to the rise of the air conditioner were electric utilities – the companies that operate power plants and sell electricity to consumers. Electric utilities benefit from every new house hooked up to their grid, but throughout the early 20th century they were also looking for ways to get these new customers to use even more electricity in their homes. This process was known as "load building", after the industry term (load) for the amount of electricity used at any one time. "The cost of electricity was low, which was fine by the utilities. They simply increased demand, and encouraged customers to use more electricity so they could keep expanding and building new power plants," says Richard Hirsh, a historian of technology at Virginia Tech.

By the 1950s, that future had arrived. Electric utilities ran print, radio and film adverts promoting air conditioning, as well as offering financing and discount rates to construction companies that installed it. In 1957, Commonwealth Edison reported that for the first time, peak electricity usage had occurred not in the winter, when households were turning up their heating, but during summer, when people were turning on their air-conditioning units. By 1970, 35% of American houses had air conditioning, more than 200 times the number just three decades earlier.

At the same time, air-conditioning-hungry commercial buildings were springing up across the US. The all-glass skyscraper, a building style that, because of its poor reflective properties and lack of ventilation, often requires more than half its electricity output be reserved for air conditioning, became an American mainstay. Between 1950 and 1970 the average electricity used per square foot in commercial buildings more than doubled. New York's World Trade Center, completed in 1974, had what was then the world's largest AC unit, with nine enormous engines and more than 270km of piping for cooling and heating. Commentators at the time noted that it used the same amount of electricity each day as the nearby city of Schenectady, population 80,000.

The air-conditioning industry, construction companies and electric utilities were all riding the great wave of postwar American capitalism. In their pursuit of profit, they ensured that the air conditioner became an essential element of American life. "Our children are raised in an air-conditioned culture," an AC company executive told Time magazine in 1968. "You can't really expect them to live in a home that isn't air conditioned."
Over time, the public found they liked air conditioning, and its use continued to climb, reaching 87% of US households by 2009.

Solutions are simply urban planning and architecture:

Lall says that even with affordable housing it is possible to reduce the need for air conditioning by designing carefully. "You balance the sizes of opening, the area of the wall, the thermal properties, and shading, the orientation," he says. But he argues that, in general, developers are not interested. "Even little things like adequate shading and insulation in the rooftop are resisted. The builders don't appear to see any value in this. They want 10- to 20-storey blocks close to one another. That's just how business works now, that's what the cities are forcing us to do. It's all driven by speculation and land value."

This reliance on air conditioning is a symptom of what the Chinese art critic Hou Hanru has called the epoch of post-planning. Today, planning as we traditionally think of it – centralised, methodical, preceding development – is vanishingly rare. Markets dictate and allocate development at incredible speed, and for the actual inhabitants, the conditions they require to live are sourced later, in a piecemeal fashion. "You see these immense towers go up, and they're already locking the need for air conditioning into the building," says Marlyne Sahakian, a sociologist who studies the use of air conditioning in the Philippines.

Over coffee recently in London, the influential Malaysian architect Ken Yeang lamented what he viewed as the loss of an entire generation of architects and builders to a dependency on fossil fuels to control the environment. "So much damage has been done by those buildings," he says, "I have entirely lost hope in my generation; perhaps the next one can design a rescue mission."

To its proponents, air conditioning is often presented as a simple choice that consumers make to improve their lives as they climb the economic ladder. "It's no longer a luxury product but a necessity," an executive at the Indian branch of the Japanese air-conditioner manufacturing giant Daikin told the Associated Press last year. "Everyone deserves AC."

This refrain is as familiar in Rajasthan now as it was in the US 70 years ago. Once air conditioning is embedded in people's lives, they tend to want to keep it. But that fact obscures the ways that consumers' choices are shaped by forces beyond their control. In her 1967 book Vietnam, Mary McCarthy reflected on this subtle restriction of choice in American life. "In American hotel rooms," she wrote, "you can decide whether or not to turn on the air conditioning (that is your business), but you cannot open the window."

Other cities are taking even more direct action. In the mid-1980s, Geneva, which has a warmer climate than much of the US, the local government banned the installation of air conditioning except by special permission. This approach is relatively common across Switzerland and, as a result, air conditioning accounts for less than 2% of all electricity used. The Swiss don't appear to miss air conditioning too much – its absence is rarely discussed, and they have largely learned to do without.

In countries where air conditioning is still relatively new, an immense opportunity exists to find alternatives before it becomes a way of life. The aim, in the words of Thomas, should be to avoid "the worst of the west". Recently, the Indian government adopted recommendations by Thomas, Rawal and others into its countrywide national residential building code ("an immensely powerful document" says Rawal). It allows higher indoor temperatures based on Indian field studies – Indian levels of comfort – and notes the "growing prevalence" of buildings that use air conditioning as a technology of last resort.

Cutting down on air conditioning doesn't mean leaving modernity behind, but it does require facing up to some of its consequences. "It's not a matter of going back to the past. But before, people knew how to work with the climate," says Ken Yeang. "Air conditioning became a way to control it, and it was no longer a concern. No one saw the consequences. People see them now."

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm not surprised. Three years after being here in the US I am still shocked how utterly freezing every room is made. Outside, rain and grey; inside AC on max ensuring you need to wear many layers to be remotely comfortable...

At our office I am literally uncomfortable and my hands are cold, while it is perfectly pleasant outside.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm constantly hot. So.... AC is my friend.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
All those window units you see can't be very efficient. Buildings in the US need to be designed better for cooling.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I'm not surprised. Three years after being here in the US I am still shocked how utterly freezing every room is made. Outside, rain and grey; inside AC on max ensuring you need to wear many layers to be remotely comfortable...

At our office I am literally uncomfortable and my hands are cold, while it is perfectly pleasant outside.

Maybe not everybody responds to temperature the same as you. You might feel "perfectly pleasant" while others are sweating miserably.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The genie is not going back in the bottle on this one. Just need more efficient AC and alternate power sources.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
USA is considerably larger than the UK with a much more varied climate so it's a poor comparison.

Feb 1, 2018
There are many parts of the US where it gets so fucking hot and/or humid that living without AC would put you in the hospital within a matter of days.

The systems just need to be more efficient, and our electricity needs to come from renewable sources. Fuck coal and natural gas.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I work for a company that deals with refrigeration. The reports I've seen is the commercial and residential use is only going to continue to go up. It sucks. (My department is refrigeration only for foodservice applications)

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember taking an environmental science class and a student asked, genuinely; "can't we combat global warming by having our ACs face outside then?"

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Doesn't stop Americans from telling the world what they are doing wrong though

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Sure but the population of the US where its like the surface of the sun is roughly equivalent to the population of the UK so where are we putting them all.
As evidenced in this thread, this county is huge and there is plenty of room outside the literal desert.

Edit
As I'm being quoted a fair amount and clearly misunderstood let me clarify.
Firstly I'm not suggesting that it is in any way feasible in the short term to relocate everyone from the south to the north, that said long-term I think it's going to be inevitable at some point.
That said you can't have it both ways you can't use the size of this country as an excuse to justify the high usage of AC energy, while at the same time ignoring that the size of that country gives ample opportunity to live in more temperate zones.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I do agree that larger buildings should be constructed with cooling efficiency in mind - but there's little incentive to do so as the article states. It's a problem that can just be solved by adding air conditioning.

This approach is relatively common across Switzerland and, as a result, air conditioning accounts for less than 2% of all electricity used. The Swiss don't appear to miss air conditioning too much – its absence is rarely discussed, and they have largely learned to do without.

Switzerland seems to have, at peak, average highs of 25-26 in July and August. That's less than 80F.

It must be hard to have to cope without AC at those temperatures.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, live in houston and tell me you dont need air conditioning when its 90+ degrees for 6 months of the year. All the big heat waves in Europe? Imagine that but HALF the year. Its completley necessary in a lot of areas.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The average temperature of the American southwest would make the average UK citizen melt into a pile a goo.

What a stupid fucking comparison.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice stat for a headline. Less meaningful when you factor in population sizes, warmth of various areas, etc...

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty bad comparison. There are places in the US that stay warmer all year than the hottest the UK will ever get one time in a given year.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think I've expressed this in a thread previously, but the world as we know it was doomed decades ago. Humanity won't change out of good will. Change will only begin to come when things spiral wildly out of control, and even then, that change will probably be too late.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
User Banned (5 days): inflammatory generalizations, history of infractions
Most americans are fat so they sweat a lot.

More seriously more effective AC and better building standards are a must. Even planting more trees and vegetations contribute to make temps lower.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My family was home for summer vacation and thus the AC was on constantly. I will say this, they make it prohibitively expensive to live like that.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just another article shitting on Americans without proper context.

The US is a much, much larger country. I believe it is also hotter. Not to mention, certain states you absolutely need AC or you will have a heat stroke inside your house.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UK is the equivalent of Maine on the north/south axis. Alabama and Arizona are not.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yup. This thread is another great example of how people unwilling to change. We all need to use less AC, but nope. Need the cold. And somehow... the government is supposed to fix this? The only thing the government can do is build more renewable energy plants. The rate at which that can happen and the rate at which we need to reduce AC use is likely not one and the same. We're firmly headed for a 4C rise.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As evidenced in this thread, this county is huge and there is plenty of room outside the literal desert.
If your argument is that everyone should move to North Dakota, you're showing how little argument you have.

I do agree that larger buildings should be constructed with cooling efficiency in mind - but there's little incentive to do so as the article states. It's a problem that can just be solved by adding air conditioning.

Switzerland seems to have, at peak, average highs of 25-26 in July and August. That's less than 80F.

It must be hard to have to cope without AC at those temperatures.
This is the kind of weather we have in December here

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Lol, live in houston and tell me you dont need air conditioning when its 90+ degrees for 6 months of the year. All the big heat waves in Europe? Imagine that but HALF the year. Its completley necessary in a lot of areas.

YEP.

About to be 103 in Houston this weekend with a heat index of 285. All the architectural wizardry in the world won't help that.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
5 times the population, but over 10 times the electricity consumption.

"America is big" is a lazy, and usually bad, argument.

In the case of electricity its a very cogent argument, as the longer you transmit it the more power you lose
but sure comparing the world's biggest economy to a tiny island nation is probably going to convince a lot of Americans to give up AC

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
0 to triggered in 3 posts flat.

How about AC is a problem, there are smarter solutions. The government of America could ppay to fix everyones AC situation to a more efficient system and probably retrofit every home, nation wide. For a fraction of the Military budget\Wall budget\ISrael budget.

We rely on it because its all we know, but there are ways to design buildings like Earth Ships and what not, that aren't using electricity/minimal electricity.

That wont happen, nor will anything globally until its hurting everyone. Its already too late, and by the time that happens, its double too late.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Yes, AC as a tech needs to improve and there are awards and grants out there for millions of dollars if someone discovers a better way.

But the OP is the biggest bullshit comparison. My goodness.

Edit: "Suffer with us" they screamed

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the US is huge and we have a ton of people, lol.

If you track the countries that uses the most electricity overall, it's like US, China, and somewhere else that's either huge, or hugely populated.