• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

The U.S. has reported more than 3 million coronavirus cases as of Wednesday morning, with all but a handful of states struggling to control outbreaks of COVID-19. One million of those cases have been confirmed over the past month — part of a wave of infection that began after many states started to reopen their economies in May.

The total number of cases also includes nearly 1 million people declared to have recovered. But more than 130,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 – roughly twice the death toll of any other country, according to a tracker from Johns Hopkins University. Most experts believe those numbers vastly underestimate the disease's true toll.

"I did not expect it to grow this quickly" in the U.S., says Bob Bednarczyk, assistant professor of global health and epidemiology at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University in Atlanta.

Nine U.S. states — New York, California, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, Arizona and Georgia — are now reporting more than 100,000 cases. Worldwide, only 20 countries other than the U.S. have hit that number.

At least eight states — Louisiana, Idaho, Georgia, Florida, Nevada, Tennessee, Kansas and Delaware — have seen their average daily number of new cases double this week, compared with just two weeks ago.

The highest per capita rate is currently in Arizona, which has been averaging 53 cases per 100,000 people this week. Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina all have per capita rates higher than 30 cases per 100,000 people.

Arizona officials say they are seeing a rush of hospitalizations, forcing administrators in Pima County to send some patients elsewhere, even to another state, to receive care.

COVID-19 is not affecting all states equally. For example, both North Carolina and Michigan are reporting more than 70,000 cases, but Michigan's death toll is more than four times higher — 6,251 deaths, compared with 1,446 in North Carolina.

New York state, once the epicenter of new U.S. coronavirus cases, has now gone a month since it last reported 1,000 or more new daily cases. But at least eight other states are now routinely surpassing that mark.

New York is now requiring a 14-day quarantine for people who travel from 19 other states, after Gov. Andrew Cuomo added Delaware, Kansas and Oklahoma to a travel advisory list on Tuesday.

On a global level, the U.S. has by far the most confirmed cases in the COVID-19 pandemic. The country has less than 5% of the world's population, but it has about 25% of the world's coronavirus cases — a proportion that has changed little since U.S. case totals began to skyrocket in the spring.

Predictive models have found that if more people in the U.S. covered their faces to prevent spreading the coronavirus, tens of thousands of deaths from COVID-19 could be prevented between July and Oct. 1. But some Americans — from Massachusetts to Florida to Washington state — have fought against state or county mandates that require face masks.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Yup, I'm self isolating as we speak because I've had contact with a confirmed case.
But because I have no symptoms I can't get tested without spending lots of money at urgent care :)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's what we get with leadership that ignores and doesn't understand math and science. Here's a lesson in exponential growth for everyone to see.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they are learning how to treat it better though. Deaths don't seem to be increasing at the same rate as new infections.

But that said I am really afraid of how many people are going to have died in a years time.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they are learning how to treat it better though. Deaths don't seem to be increasing at the same rate as new infections.

But that said I am really afraid of how many people are going to have died in a years time.

Many deaths are being counted under Flu/Pneumonia. If you check the areas with high amount of cases, there is a huge spike in Flu/Pneumonia related deaths, which is significantly more than it was in the same period last year.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Many deaths are being counted under Flu/Pneumonia. If you check the areas with high amount of cases, there is a huge spike in Flu/Pneumonia related deaths, which is significantly more than it was in the same period last year.
True but I think even taking that into consideration they are getting better at treating it.

But what are the long term effects if you catch it?
I am sure they are horrible. But we are left adrift as citizens in this country. Just try and survive this bullshit for the next 2 years as best you can.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That if the 🏥🏥 don't get overwhelmed.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunately, our ability to treat COVID-19 means nothing if patients can't get treated i.e. our hospitals are at capacity, like in Florida:
www.resetera.com

Florida Hospitals in Major Cities Have Hit Capacity

In Florida, 43 hospital ICU’s in 21 counties have hit capacity and show zero ICU beds available, according to data released by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA). This includes hospitals in the following counties: Miami-Dade (which includes the city of Miami) Broward (which...

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
True but I think even taking that into consideration they are getting better at treating it.

I am sure they are horrible. But we are left adrift as citizens in this country. Just try and survive this bullshit for the next 2 years as best you can.

They are getting better at treating it. Their are other things to consider though besides flu/pneumonia being under counted like for example people just dying before even getting to the hospital. Those people are not getting tested at all. Another poster posted an article in the main covid thread from the texas tribune showing what is happening with people just dying at home before even reaching the hospital in houston.
EcaufkJXgAA7jAT

The uptick in the number of people dying before they can even reach a hospital in Houston draws parallels to what happened in New York City in March and April, when there was a spike in the number of times firefighters responded to medical calls, only to discover that the person in need of help had already died. These increases also echo those reported during outbreaks in Detroit and Boston, when the number of people dying at home jumped as coronavirus cases surged.

While far more people died of COVID-19 in those cities than have died so far in Houston, researchers and paramedics say that the trend of sudden at-home deaths in Texas' largest city is concerning because it shows that the virus' toll may be deeper than what appears in official death tallies and daily hospitalization reports.

Many people who die at home are not tested for COVID-19, said Dr. Jeremy Faust, an emergency medicine physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. In New York City, for example, only 16% of the 11,475 at-home deaths between February and June have been attributed to COVID-19, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
www.texastribune.org

An increase in people dying at home suggests coronavirus deaths in Houston may be higher than reported

In Houston, one of the nation's fastest-growing coronavirus hot spots, more residents are dying before they can make it to a hospital. Medical examiner data shows that an increasing number of these deaths are the result of COVID-19.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017

There is a huge under-reporting / hiding of death statistics under pneumonia.

For example, just a bit ago, I believe month of May Florida had 5k pneumonia related deaths and the number in 2019 was 1k. They are reporting covid deaths under pneumonia deaths to "juke the stats"

0*OSKP6ncid6xv32hH.png

shauntu

Oct 27, 2017
So US is leading the world in Covid infections. And deaths. And while the rate of deaths has gone down --- presumably the health care system has gotten better at treating people who are infected -- unfortunately the health care system is breaking down now with treating patients with pneumonia and cardiac arrests...

Status
Not open for further replies.