• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
As of a few years ago, they were less safe than your car and the US nearly nuked a Virginia.

That was 1961. Tech has advanced since then. Read the article. Detenator is now encrypted and the bombs can even be rigged to be destroyed with the conventional explosives.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those "knew they were there, not where" moments I guess. Fucking hell.

Nov 8, 2017
I could have sworn this was public knowledge. I guess it was just an open secret?

Anyway they're guarded and operated by US Personnel in country, so there's no real way anything could happen without Turkey immediately causing a war with the United States. The weapons will presumably be pulled out if relations continue to deteriorate.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
While everyone knew there were bombs in Turkey the official US stance was not to talk about them. You simply do not talk about the location of such weapons etc. Dick brain does though because he's a moron.
Also Turkey tried fucking around with the base a while back. The US military people were not happy in the slightest. Thankfully, there are precautions in place to prevent people taking the nukes and using them.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Thought everyone knew they're at Incirlik, in fact I'm pretty sure there were a lot of justifiably worried people re: their safety during the attempted coup in 2016.

Still, another example at how bad trump is at discretion and keeping national security information compartmentalized. He's such a fuckwit.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
2nddSCs.gif

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This is pretty ancient news (as in 1960s ancient), it's just the first time it's been officially confirmed AFAIK.

For those shocked about this, here are the other countries currently holding US nuclear weapons:

IhecgyS.png

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
50 and they're "safe"?

Oh boy they ain't safe now I can tell you that
They are totally safe. Trump stupidly stating what was already factually known doesn't change anything. Besides where the nukes are stored, the way nukes work is they are basically paperweights to those not authorized to use them.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Thought everyone knew they're at Incirlik, in fact I'm pretty sure there were a lot of justifiably worried people re: their safety during the attempted coup in 2016.

Still, another example at how bad trump is at discretion and keeping national security information compartmentalized. He's such a fuckwit.
Yeah it's an open secret that they are there. Still not good to tell people the amount that is there though. There was rumoured to be around 50 but nobody knew for sure. Now they fucking do.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You think someone could get into a base and steal a giant intercontinental missile from an extremely secure site? C'mon bruh. And if Turkey ever tried, the US and the rest of NATO would curb stomp them.
I don't believe a state actor would be stupid enough to even have a paper trail discussing the possibility of this happening (then again, look at the white house).
Non state actors can certainly wreck damage on the installation and unless the US manage to overhaul it's entire chain of command since a few years ago, they don't seem that well protected either.
Nothing to fear from Turkey though, that I would definitely agree.

That was 1961. Tech has advanced since then. Read the article. Detenator is now encrypted and the bombs can even be rigged to be destroyed with the conventional explosives.
I don't think getting a full size nuke stolen is the issue here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I could have sworn this was public knowledge. I guess it was just an open secret?

Anyway they're guarded and operated by US Personnel in country, so there's no real way anything could happen without Turkey immediately causing a war with the United States. The weapons will presumably be pulled out if relations continue to deteriorate.
Yeah, it's an open secret and known for well over at least a decade to my knowledge.
And for the unaware: there's also nukes in the Netherlands (estimated 20 at Volkel Air Base), Belgium (estimated 20 at Kleine Brogel Air Base), and Italy (estimated 40 at Ghedi Air Base and another estimated 40 at Aviano Air Base).

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If the army think there's a real danger, they'll pull it immediately. The issue he is that he confirmed it to begin with which he obviously shouldn't.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I swear I have read this before somewhere. I guess he may be the first one to confirm it, but that number isn't new or unknown. People should stop overreacting to everything

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It may be an open secret, but other leaders like Putin will now politicize it as a reason to get more aggressive with their own military.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol does he know that part of the deal to avert the cuban missile crisis back in the 60s was that u.s would remove their missiles from turkey?

how would russia react to hearing that even though the missiles are gone, the bombs werent?

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
lol does he know that part of the deal to avert the cuban missile crisis back in the 60s was that u.s would remove their missiles from turkey?

how would russia react to hearing that even though the missiles are gone, the bombs werent?
Russia already knew this as it was public knowledge.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Russia probably knows everything about those nukes, probably always has. This is not some top secret stuff.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Russia knows the US has nukes in Turkey, everyone knows, seriously, NATO even accidentally revealed the full list of bases the US have nukes in and everybody was like yeah, we know. The US insists on lying about it because it's easier to prevent public debate on why the fuck do the US keeps all these nukes in Europe if we can just say "we can neither confirm or deny" instead of trying to justify that madness.
The Cuban missile crisis deal was way more specific.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017

The data on these bombs has been on wikipedia for years. Russian intelligence would be intimately aware of all this, although I'm sure the local media might make a show of this for domestic consumption.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Well also....you know how Trump exaggerates numbers. So maybe it's just like 10.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Russia knows the US has nukes in Turkey, everyone knows, seriously, NATO even accidentally revealed the full list of bases the US have nukes in and everybody was like yeah, we know. The US insists on lying about it because it's easier to prevent public debate on why the fuck do the US keeps all these nukes in Europe if we can just say "we can neither confirm or deny" instead of trying to justify that madness.
The Cuban missile crisis deal was way more specific.
One of those rare moments when Trump being a selfish asshole that doesn't care about governance happens to result in something kinda good.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

President Loose Lips at it again.

We cheering the general there?
I'm not sure it's great to let the military put shit we don't know about in the border wall.

One of those rare moments when Trump being a selfish asshole that doesn't care about governance happens to result in something kinda good.
I'll bet you anything future presidents will continue to duck question about it by neither confirming or denying.
But yeah, I think if this end up with the US having a discussion about why the fuck it still have nukes all over Europe, that's a very good thing. Though I suspect the media will mostly be focused on Trump breaking protocol.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We cheering the general there?
I'm not sure it's great to let the military put shit we don't know about in the border wall.
Really not, the wall is an offensive monument to stupidity and racism and I personally care not a whit for the preservation of its secrets, just recognizing Trumps characteristic complete lack of discretion or subtlety.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why can't he accidentally reveal anything about aliens. "Yeah we have a few saucers in Area 51"
lol I HIGHLY doubt Trump is trusted with anything alien related. The president isn't privy to everything - some topics are on a need to know basis.

Or maybe someone just needs to ask him...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really not, the wall is an offensive monument to stupidity and racism and I personally care not a whit for the preservation of its secrets, just recognizing Trumps characteristic complete lack of discretion or subtlety.
Personally when I saw that video the first thing that I thought was "wait, why the fuck does the military put some secret tech in the border wall? I want congress to find out about it and I want them to tell me".
I already knew Trump is stupid and racist, so I guess there is some sort of recency bias in play since these are fresher news.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The news story is that Trump disclosed publicly that there are 50 nukes in Turkey. This is unprecedented.

The new Ferme paradox should be how there aren't aliens because Trump hasnt disclosed it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the US, UK, Russia, and PRC all have submarines armed with nuclear missiles at sea constantly too. I don't remember if we still have nuclear armed bombers still in the air constantly or not.

Point is the only big deal here is that Trump is an idiot and actually admitted to it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
lol I HIGHLY doubt Trump is trusted with anything alien related. The president isn't privy to everything - some topics are on a need to know basis.

Or maybe someone just needs to ask him...
Someone has asked him somewhat recently and he unequivocally said it doesn't exist.

He's a huge liar, but only to benefit himself. He probably would seize an opportunity to be known as the president that proved aliens exist, taking down a decades old conspiracy most recently including Obama. But he can't because they probably don't exist. At least not in something like Area 51.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean the US, UK, Russia, and PRC all have submarines armed with nuclear missiles at sea constantly too. I don't remember if we still have nuclear armed bombers still in the air constantly or not.

Point is the only big deal here is that Trump is an idiot and actually admitted to it.
They only really kept them in the air at all time from '60 to '68, which was really one of the dumbest cold war things the US did, and it did A LOT of dumb things in the cold war.
They were kept on high alert, fully fueled and armed and ready to go on a moment's notice until 1991.

Also, everyone knew that the US has nukes in Turkey, continuing to lie about it only serve to stifle any sort of way overdue discussion over this.
Trump is an idiot, but in this case his stupidity could be somewhat useful.