• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The way the KKK exploded in the 1920s is a fascinating story. It was basically just a money making venture due to the $10 membership fee.

They used white men's fear over a changing world in order to make money off them. Imagine that...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's no surprise at all. Klan had tons of power. So much that presidents couldn't criticize lynchings because they needed their support.

As a matter of fact till this day no Anti Lynching law has been able to be passed through the Senate.
The Emmet Till bill was blocked just this year! Rand Paul blocked it from unanimous consent, and though it cleared the House easily, four Republicans voted against it.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The way the KKK exploded in the 1920s is a fascinating story. It was basically just a money making venture due to the $10 membership fee.

They used white men's fear over a changing world in order to make money off them. Imagine that...

There were a lot of WW1 vets who returned home with no prospects and completely abandoned. So not all that surprising.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hugo Black, Supreme Court justice was as well and he was on the brown v board majority (it was unanimous but still), sent the mississippi burning case back to trial after it was dismissed, wrote Wesberry v. Sanders (and joined Reynolds v. Sims)

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I have bad news about FDR. The New Deal was progressive as fuck for white people.

There is a reason minimum wage didn't apply to crop pickers and waiters. The New Deal set the stage for the massive boom in economic inequality between BIPOC and white Americans. Some argue FDR needed racist Southern Dem votes and that's why he did it, but he sold non-whites down the river to get the New Deal passed.

The early years of the Roosevelt Administration are fascinating. Harold Ickes and Eleanor Roosevelt were frequently combative with the Southern wing of the Democratic party, who ended up being the fulcrum on which the Republicans blocked progressive legislation in the late 30s.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I have emailed the lecturer to point out according to research I did, Harding wasnt in the klan, and it is easily verifiable information when you look it up.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was bad. Klan membership exploded after Birth of a Nation and stayed high for awhile. Fortunately they have lost a lot of power and influence.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Wilson was too young to be in the first klan, and too old to be in the second klan. Same with Harding.

The Klan was really only powerful for 10 years after the Civil War and for 10 years after World War I. That's not to say that their views weren't shared by those in power, or that the group wasn't locally powerful outside of those years, but those would, generally, be the only years a politician would join the klan.

Wilson and Harding wouldn't turn away Klan support, but they also wouldn't have joined the organization, either.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I have bad news about FDR. The New Deal was progressive as fuck for white people.

There is a reason minimum wage didn't apply to crop pickers and waiters. The New Deal set the stage for the massive boom in economic inequality between BIPOC and white Americans. Some argue FDR needed racist Southern Dem votes and that's why he did it, but he sold non-whites down the river to get the New Deal passed.
i mean, FDR was responsible for the Japanese internment camps. Not sure why people hold him to this holy grail of progressivism when his race record was not good by any means.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Harding was never a member of the KKK.

The KKK spread the message that Harding was a member to booster membership, but most historians do not think he was a member and there's no evidence that he was, despite the KKK spreading that message. While the KKK was arguably the third most powerful political organization in 1924, it would have been unusual for a northern republican to be in the KKK.

But more to the point, dozens or hundreds of american politicians, even federal congressmen, belonged to the KKK and it was not a fringe organization in the 1920s. It was mainstream.

ConfusingJazz

Oct 26, 2017
China
Harding was never a member of the KKK.

The KKK spread the message that Harding was a member to booster membership, but most historians do not think he was a member and there's no evidence that he was, despite the KKK spreading that message. While the KKK was arguably the third most powerful political organization in 1924, it would have been unusual for a northern republican to be in the KKK.

But more to the point, dozens or hundreds of american politicians, even federal congressmen, belonged to the KKK and it was not a fringe organization in the 1920s. It was mainstream.

I mean, if you're trying to usurp power from the Solid South, it's a strategy. A dark, cynical, evil strategy, but a strategy. Only a jackass would try that strategy to break the Solid South.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
An estimated 30% of all white men were in the Indiana Klan in that time period.
Ohio had a massive KKK population too. We had more up here in the midwest than any Southern state. That shit was pretty mainstream at one time.

In Dayton, 15 to 20 percent of the population in the 1920s was believed to be a member of the KKK. Rallies at the former Montgomery County Fairgrounds regularly drew 10,000+ people.
spectrumnews1.com

Ohio Has Lengthy History with KKK

First KKK event planned in Dayton in nearly 25 years

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
One of my university modules this year is on US history from 1900-2000, and the lecture this week is on the 1920s. Not being American and having only a surface level knowledge of these things, I'd assumed the KKK was some lunatic fringe racist organisation, which it is. But I was surprised to be told that president harding was a member, its membership was more than 5 million by 1924. Like, what? I know overt racism was and is still popular everywhere, but that I had no idea of that. I don't know much about this harding guy but he must have been real awful.
Wait till you learn that America's eugenics infrastructure was so well-developed and nationally accepted that the Nazis used it, along with Jim Crow laws, as a blueprint for their own genocidal infrastructure.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
And in case you thought Q was a new phenomenon in the modern age

insidescreenshot.png

And, of course, much of the literature selling this kind of thing had a sexual bent

21b616effe6a1de8bcf6473b02007454--pulp-fiction-bullets.jpg

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason Biden's voice hit a certain tone during his convention speech about how perhaps finally we might be the generation to expunge the stain of racism that is upon our national soul.

It runs very deep, to say nothing of the other atrocities we've had a hand in, and still do.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a first gen American. I was born in Queens and have spent a majority of my life in the US. But damn if most of the country doesn't remain completely alien to me. I feel like an outsider when I learn about its history.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Pretty sure there were many they just didn't admit it. Then the ones in congress, supreme court, other courts, DOJ,etc.

Even the President that signed the Civil Rights Act was a racist. Things are less shocking and more clear once you realize that racism is a feature in the US design and not a bug.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Well Wilson sucked and was super racist but at least we didn't have a global pandemic under him like we did with Trump... oh.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Racism in America is always exponentially worse than what you think it is.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The Nazi party in America and the UK is taught in British education, I already knew that, but the KKK is never mentioned, even when I did US history in the 1960s and the civil liberties movement as a teenager.

The KKK was in british secondary school textbooks when american history of that era was part of the curriculum in the mid nineties. I remember because it said the KKK mysteriously collapsed (from its time of super high popularity) and I wondered at the time what caused it, and then about 10 years ago I read a book called the History of the FBI which said that LBJ ordered J Edgar Hoover to get rid of them.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
If FDR hadn't been President during the 30s and early 40s, there is a good chance the US would have been on the side of the Nazis.
Not fighting on their side, as the nationalists in the US were isolationists, but ideologically on their side.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Harry Truman was a member. It's one of the reason why he became VP. Then he did an Executive Order to end discrimination in the military.

But yeah Woodrow Wilson is a massive racist who for some reason viewed as a progressive.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
The KKK was in british secondary school textbooks when american history of that era was part of the curriculum in the mid nineties. I remember because it said the KKK mysteriously collapsed (from its time of super high popularity) and I wondered at the time what caused it, and then about 10 years ago I read a book called the History of the FBI which said that LBJ ordered J Edgar Hoover to get rid of them.
Well it wasnt when I did it, which was 2009 odd.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
i mean, FDR was responsible for the Japanese internment camps. Not sure why people hold him to this holy grail of progressivism when his race record was not good by any means.
Same as LBJ, who did many great things during his time in office but also put us in Vietnam.

The government being what it is, I don't think it's possible for any president to come out of the White House squeaky clean. There are some however who try to avoid or at least temper our worst sins, and others who wholly embrace them and make things worse.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I just had a look around and I still have the book! I was wrong on where it focuses though, there were 3 pages on the kkk for the 20s section, and then it's mentioned a fair bit for 60s. Was written specifically for the GCSE syllabus back then.
I'll ask someone else I took the class with, see if I just forgot it. Would be a strange omission.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Reagan and Nixon might as well have been in it

I wouldn't say that. Nixon was a complicated man. There is no doubt he was a causal racist and an anti-semite, but he was also a life long desegregationist who helped pass the Civil Rights Act as Vice President and was friends with Martin Luther King Jr. (until their relationship soured - though he did privately visit King's widow after his assassination), and did things like try to pass Universal Healthcare on 3 different occasions. This old article from The Atlantic (which I've selected a few choice quotes from) goes into his impact on race:

Few Americans know it, but in fact Richard Nixon, even more than John Kennedy or Lyndon Johnson, shaped the civil-rights landscape we inhabit today. Nixon broke the will of the South, making school desegregation, long on the books but largely unimplemented, a reality for millions of children black and white. He presided over the nationalization of the Voting Rights Act, extending it beyond the South to cover all Americans—including Latinos. He oversaw the birth of bilingual education and averted the death of historically black colleges. Most important, for better or worse, he and his aides created affirmative action as we know it, turning a vague idea about a leg up at the starting gate into a vast national web of "goals and timetables" at colleges, corporations, and government contracting agencies.

The thirty-seventh President may or may not have seen black people as the equals of whites—he probably didn't, according to Kotlowski. But the scrappy contender in him was as strong as, if not stronger than, the bigot, and he was deeply committed to equal opportunity. Of course, like all his beliefs, this impulse was tempered by political calculation: Nixon never did anything without considering how it would look to voters, particularly the southern and white-ethnic voters who increasingly formed the core of the Republican Party. But politic or not, Kotlowski says, Nixon's sympathy for the struggling outsider drove him to try to level the playing field—even when that meant helping blacks at the expense of whites.

In the end, then, the story of Nixon and race is, like so much else in Nixon's history, a tragic story. He meant well—much better than most people, then or now, have given him credit for. His iconoclastic ideas were sometimes brilliant and far ahead of their time. But ultimately it's hard to count his civil-rights policy a success. Yes, he transformed the way we see the problem: the economic, results-oriented approach he fashioned reigns supreme even today. But the endless preferences it engendered were hardly true to his principles—and arguably have undermined racial progress. Finally, it's no accident that most readers will be surprised by the news in this volume. Whatever Nixon accomplished in behalf of blacks, he had no idea how to communicate his vision or use the bully pulpit for moral leadership on race issues.

Furthermore, although he started the War on Drugs, it wasn't like the war we have to day (the shift happened under Reagan). It was more focused on rehabilitation than it is now. Likewise, Ehrlichman's famous quote about linking African Americans to heroin may not be entirely true, either. Ehrlichman had an axe to grind with Nixon after his former boss failed to pardon him for his involvement in Watergate, and he never got over it. The truth is (as the articles I posted go into) Nixon was a true believer in the drug war, in the sense that he wanted to eliminate all drug use, and likely didn't see it as a racial issue so much as a moral one. He went as far as to criticize George H.W. Bush's handling of it in 1991, for only going after crack dens, while ignoring elite drug users (like directors, rock stars, and writers), who Nixon viewed as a bigger threat to public health than any street drug dealer. At the same time, he also called for more government assistance to help people get off of drugs:

A tough policy can also be a compassionate one. When I visited the Daytop Village drug rehabilitation center in Swan Lake, N.Y., in 1988, I met scores of young people who had fallen into the drug trap. With guidance from Msgr. William B. O'Brien and his dedicated colleagues, they were now on the road to productive, drug-free lives. Daytop offers 24-hour-a-day supervision, stiff punishments for patients who stray, and regular follow-up testing after they go home.
Because many such programs rely solely on private donations, only a fraction of those who need them can get in. No matter what else President Bush does, he should make it a national goal to ensure that no one who really wants to beat drugs is ever excluded from treatment. Any American who saw the hopeful faces of the young people at Daytop Village would gladly open his heart and his checkbook if it meant saving even one more child from oblivion.

Again, Nixon was most assuredly a racist (at best, he was simply unwilling to push back against the racist views of those around him), but I think saying he may as well have been a member of the KKK is overselling it a bit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you're trying to usurp power from the Solid South, it's a strategy. A dark, cynical, evil strategy, but a strategy. Only a jackass would try that strategy to break the Solid South.

"Solid south" as political lexicon is about 40 years after Harding's time, and the idea of Republicans usurping that would not be a political plan until the 1960s and Nixon. Harding, for his faults and he was certainly a racist, was not a KKK member as a matter of simple fact. Harding was a terrible president, much worse than Hoover, but he wasn't a member of the KKK. And moreover he didn't win the south.

In the 1920 election Cox carries every Southern state (minus Tennessee) and Harding carried the rest of the country. He didn't try to win Southern Democratic votes.

ConfusingJazz

Oct 26, 2017
China
"Solid south" as political lexicon is about 40 years after Harding's time, and the idea of Republicans usurping that would not be a political plan until the 1960s and Nixon. Harding, for his faults and he was certainly a racist, was not a KKK member as a matter of simple fact. Harding was a terrible president, much worse than Hoover, but he wasn't a member of the KKK. And moreover he didn't win the south.

In the 1920 election Cox carries every Southern state (minus Tennessee) and Harding carried the rest of the country. He didn't try to win Southern Democratic votes.

I was making a crack about the Southern Strategy :p

Also, the Solid South was very much in political lexicon before the 20th century.

Here is a political cartoon from 1906:

Last edited:

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I don't know if you know this, but America has a small history of being super fucking racist.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I dont know much about Harding. However, I do know that the Nazis were big fans of what Andrew Jackson did to the Native Americans.