• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no! What the hell is wrong with milk chocolates in the US? Why does KitKat, Twix, and the rest taste so… pasty?? And why are poptarts so salty? And why do soft drinks taste diluted?? I couldn't disagree more

Deleted member 99254

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
Seeing OP's photos makes me understand America's malnutrition/chronic constipation problem better. Do you guys at least crush vitamin pills in it?

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
You know, because I never see themed markets or restaurants of other western countries I always assumed they pretty much had all the same brands and foods, minus a few differences here and there.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I present you the best cheese curls on the planet. For your sake I hope the store has them:
1-oz-buffalo-blue-cheese-curls-2100.png

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
As a non American, gotta say coming to America didn't change much because half the stuff in Venezuelan conveniences and groceries were already American junk food and brands.

Wiseguy

Oct 29, 2017
My suggestion?

Get the king arthur flour and the nestle toll house semi-sweet chocolate chips and bake some cookies (biscuits).

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Twinkies are something everyone needs to experience once, but I always found them completely underwhelming as far as snack cakes go.
Damn Twinkies are good shit.

Like I had this almost mythical mental image of Twinkies. Them being name-dropped in movies and pop culture. After decade(s) of Twinkie culture bombardment I had a chance to buy a pack from the local America Market and I must admit, Twinkies are utter shit. What a fucking let-down. What-the-fuck. They're nothing.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
US doesn't even have Coffee Crisp.
we had it for years, but then that secret war with Canada happened. ruined lots of things.

The US is C or D tier at candy and like A tier at salty snacks. The only candy from the US i really like are like Twix, Mars and sour patch kids.

Sweden is so superior when it comes to candy it's not even funny.
all those candies you mentioned are last resort options. unless you're in the continental states, you don't have any real idea of what is considered good here, only what is considered mainstream and is almost sort of forced on us to buy, lol.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
we had it for years, but then that secret war with Canada happened. ruined lots of things.

all those candies you mentioned are last resort options. unless you're in the continental states, you don't have any real idea of what is considered good here, only what is considered mainstream and is almost sort of forced on us to buy, lol.

Every other candy I've tried tasted kinda trash except those 3 examples. Jolly rancher is my fav but it's from Canada iirc.

Skittles are ok too but I rarely ever buy em over here.

American chocolate is disgusting and not even F tier, it taste like acid reflux. Belongs in the trash bin.

All the candies with like cinnamon flavor , tooth paste flavor , peanut butter, extreme artificial (twizzlers) flavors are all D tier.

But enlighten me, I spent a year of my adult life in the US, have been on numerous roadtrips (been to and through ~30 states) etc so much so I've seen much more of US than my home country but I always settle for either jolly ranchers or sour patch kids if i buy candy while there.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
1. Eat US junkfood
2. Get near seizure from an overload of artificial flavors, sugar and sodium
3. A diarrhea avalanche destroys your toilet

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no! What the hell is wrong with milk chocolates in the US? Why does KitKat, Twix, and the rest taste so… pasty?? And why are poptarts so salty? And why do soft drinks taste diluted?? I couldn't disagree more

I can only speak for myself, but when I visited US, everything tasted of sugar... Except the chocolate. It was terrible.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
People telling you to freeze your pop tarts are on some trailer park shit. They probably dunk their pizza in ranch dressing.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
As a regular traveler to the USA (well before the plague hit) the snack food really doesn't appeal to me. I cannot get on with the taste of chocolate out there. That said, fast food is on another level and is what really makes America great.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
(Unless you had a fountain drink, which can be inconsistent) do... you like your drinks with MORE sugar and corn syrup than the US offers? :x

I like getting what I paid for. And it's not just the sugar, the whole experience is diluted. I don't get that refreshing feel I usually get when I drink soft drinks anywhere else. Also, I get full really really quick!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I've sampled a lot of US junk food and sweets; from my own anecdotal experience it was mostly trash, especially chocolate is bad, gummy candy is either waxy or plasticy, artificial flavors are way off, too much HFCS instead of real sugar, etc

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Okay...

White cheddar cheez-its is gold over gold fish. But gold fish still good.

Fun-uns is the best

You can't really go wrong with Doritos.. With a few exceptions.

Sweet baby rays bbq sauce is amazing.

But mind you snack food is just that a snack. At the same time i think the put something into Doritos that can't make you stop

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Every other candy I've tried tasted kinda trash except those 3 examples. Jolly rancher is my fav but it's from Canada iirc.

Skittles are ok too but I rarely ever buy em over here.

American chocolate is disgusting and not even F tier, it taste like acid reflux. Belongs in the trash bin.

All the candies with like cinnamon flavor , tooth paste flavor , peanut butter, extreme artificial (twizzlers) flavors are all D tier.

But enlighten me, I spent a year of my adult life in the US, have been on numerous roadtrips (been to and through ~30 states) etc so much so I've seen much more of US than my home country but I always settle for either jolly ranchers or sour patch kids if i buy candy while there.

well we actually like mint flavoring over here, since there are different mints and since peppermint has historically been a candy option, it doesn't remind of toothpaste, unless you like spearmint. in which case, we won't judge you. Nerds based candies, starbursts, kitkats, skor and heath bars, snickers ICE CREAM bars, dove chocolate, sour straws, albanese premium gummis that put haribo to shame, rolos, i could just spit candy names at you, but the point is we have good stuff, thankfully, among the common gross.

and jolly ranchers came from colorado, i believe.

europe definitely has us beat in chocolate unless you go to a local chocolatier or something. but candy in general, it's not a toss up, America can compete. We have salt water taffy. The only problem is we have to contend with capitalism, so the cheapest, lowest common denominator options are the most plentiful. You have to cherry pick to come away with things that don't taste mediocre.

Last edited:

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (and cereals), deep fried Twinkies, In-n-Out and pulled pork are all S-tier stuff that'll kill you.
Also, spray cheese is surprisingly not disgusting.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
american candy and chocolate tastes really artificial and i dunno....waxy or something to me. their savoury snacks and cereals put the rest of the planet to shame, though.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the first time I tried American chocolate. I was so excited to try US candy. Afterward, I immediately went back to the store (I believe it was the Hershey store on Times Square) and tried to return it because I thought it had gone bad. It tasted slightly pukey. The clerk just laughed and asked me if I was European.

Apparently the percentage of cacao is much lower in American chocolate, and is replaced with something that can taste like bile if you're not used to it. Strange folk, those Americans.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
This is true, America does have the snack food game on lock, but that may just be because I live here and have grown up on it. Tried some snacks from oversees on yummy bazaar and they were ok, not on the same level though.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I don't know if they have it, but Knotts Berry Farm thumbprint cookies are the goat. They used to be even better before they softened them but they're still good. Flamin Hot Ruffles are fire too, and get some onion dip for them.

As far as cheap chocolate candy, Whatchamacallit, Milky Way Dark, Milk Duds and Snickers with almonds are my favorite. I only really eat cheap candy when I'm at the theater though. Otherwise I'll go to a chocolatier or a bakery with fudge.

Edit: Oh yea, Kinder Bueno is probably my favorite candy bar now, It's South American I believe.

Edit 2: Lmao Kinder Bueno is Italian, I first had it in Nicaragua so I thought it was from there.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
eh i dunno. Ive tried some american chocolate bars and they wernt great
Lol those american candy stores are such a rip-off too, the prices they charge are scandoulous

Jun 10, 2018
I don't know if the people recommending Reese Puffs are trying to set people up for euphoria or failure.

Yes they are THAT good 😩 it is virtually impossible to not finish a whole box in less than a few hours. It's why I keep that demonic shit out of my house

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I hit the American store where I live quite often, usually for the liquid smoke as I have never seen it in Europe outside of the American stores.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I've changed, would have been on board with this topic in my teens and 20's, but those images make me feel ill.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Nah, man, India has that game locked hard.

Sure, if you don't like spicy stuff (or what it does to your butthole the next morning) you're going to steer clear, but I can demolish half a kilo of assorted bhujia, sev, spicy peanuts, puffed peas etc. in record time.

Never had Indian snacks but I'm not too big on spicy snacks. When it's hotter than like jalapeño snacks im no fan really.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Since you were so nice to complement our junk, I have nice things to say about these:

CC0015.jpg

Picked some up when I traveled to the UK a few years back. The size is perfect to enjoy two and call it a day. They're sweet, but not overly so. To me, this would be my preferred junk food cake thing over anything made by Hostess/Drakes/Little Debbie. Goes perfect with tea or coffee too!

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
They have some of the biggest spread on junk food that's for sure.

The good stuff can be surprisingly heartening and enjoyable. The bad stuff makes you wonder what god you offended in a prior life to lead you down such a wretched path.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
OP should buy a bottle of A1 and make a well-done steak to know the pain of growing up in America with a mother overly concerned with salmonella.