• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whoops sorry, I just woke up so I didn't notice.
No problem.

Saturn is definitely an example of a system that story is different depending on region. In Japan, it was popular on the strength of Virtua Fighter ports and Sakura Wars. It wasn't until the PlayStation got FF7 did it fall behind.

I've also heard it was popular in Portugal, due to DBZ Legends!

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
For me (I'm 40 UK)

- Spectrum, Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore, Atari ST were the platforms of choice
- Piracy was the norm (why they were so big & why it died)
- Dizzy, Simon The Sorcerer, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer don't get enough love

But for Consoles (which felt tiny)

- Nintendo wasn't really a thing till the gameboy
- Master System and Mega Drive was the console
- Sonic was huge, Alex kid felt bigger than Mario

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The N64 is interesting in that it was reasonably successful enough in the US and sold on par with the SNES there...it's just elsewhere that it cratered, especially in Japan.

US SNES sales: 23.35 million
US N64 sales: 20.63 million
JP SNES sales: 17.17 million
JP N64 sales: 5.54 million
PAL/etc SNES sales: 8.58 million
PAL/etc N64 sales: 6.75 million

So it's really pretty much Japan where the N64 was the big OOF. It was just about as successful in the US as the SNES was, and in PAL regions, well, Nintendo was never really popular much there anyways (they were essentially always SEGA or Sony Land).

"Fun" fact: the Sega Saturn sold more than N64 in Japan, at 9.26 million.
Another fun fact; an interview that surfaced a few months ago confirmed that the N64's relative failure in Japan is the real reason why the N64DD was never given a proper retail release, let alone a release at all outside of Japan. The hardware was finalised in 1997, there were games lining up that could've launched for it (most moved to cartridges in the end), but Nintendo were internally aiming for a domestic install base of 6m units before feeling like an add-on was justified, and they never managed to reach that milestone.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For me (I'm 40 UK)

- Spectrum, Amiga, Amstrad, Commodore, Atari ST were the platforms of choice
- Piracy was the norm (why they were so big & why it died)
- Dizzy, Simon The Sorcerer, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer don't get enough love

But for Consoles (which felt tiny)

- Nintendo wasn't really a thing till the gameboy
- Master System and Mega Drive was the console
- Sonic was huge, Alex kid felt bigger than Mario
Sensible Soccer is still the best footy game.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I'm always amazed when I look back at lists of what console games did actually release in the UK on the NES/SMS/SNES/MD/GB, as my memory is always that the selection was limited, but we got more than I thought at the time. Essentially I was nowhere near a big toy store and my experience of what was available was pretty much what the tiny games department of the local WH Smiths/Woolworths stocked. By the time I was dedicated enough to the hobby to be reading the mags and thinking 'I really want that' after reading reviews rather than guessing based on the back of the box, sometimes it was easier to import titles than find PAL versions. There was a tiny electronics shop in my home town that would order them from a catalogue for you and about a six-week wait.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting topic. Didn't know the Commodore wasn't popular in the US.

The Commodore 64 was popular in the US. It was the console industry that crashed in the US - PCs and arcades we're fine.

With the absence of consoles, the Commodore 64 took center stage. You could buy the hardware and games at local toy stores, as well as big box retailers, and smaller shops like Babbages and Electronics Boutique.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Commodore 64 was popular in the US. It was the console industry that crashed in the US - PCs and arcades we're fine.

With the absence of consoles, the Commodore 64 took center stage. You could buy the hardware and games at local toy stores, as well as big box retailers, and smaller shops like Babbages and Electronics Boutique.
Thank you.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
The most popular consoles in Eastern Europe during the 90' were Rambo and Terminator, which were a bootleg version of the Atari and NES.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Halo is one series that didn't have much of an impact in my corner of the world but that gets talked about so much.
Meanwhile Singstar and Buzz were THE party games, probably because they were localized in a bunch of languages, but barely ever gets mentioned.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming outside IBM/DOS and maybe a little Mac is generally overlooked historically despite what was going on in Europe or Asia, it's maybe even worse than looking at the console side.

Asia ex-Japan in the 90s and 2000s when I was growing up was strife with piracy, particularly on PC. That led to a growth in Asia ex-Japan in free to play games and some of the earlier ones were rife with clones eg. in China and SEA.

It's a bit later than mentioned but I do remember trying Gkart(QQ Speed), a MMO Mario Kart clone (Timi/Tencent, Garena) and whilst I didn't think it was particularly good but it had some popularity in internet cafes (meanwhile I spent heaps of time in Starcraft...)

Anyway said studios built their way up in the early 2000s on and now have become behemoths in their own right with the large influx of the F2P and microtransaction GaaS model. Timi Studio probably needs no introduction (Honor of Kings/Arena of Valor, PUBG mobile, CoD mobile, Pokemon Unite) whilst Garena has become a big mobile publisher in SEA with their biggest product being the battle royale game Garena Free Fire.

Dec 2, 2017
People online always talk about Xbox live and halo 2 in 2004 but honestly my memory is the ps2 was so dominant in the UK I didn't hear about or know anyone who owned anything except a PS2. I felt like the only Gamecube fan In the world at the time, probably cos I wasn't online yet.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Arcades actually did decline during those years in the US. It just wasn't as dramatic as consoles, so people latched on to the narrative that the crash was exclusively a console thing.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Never lived it, but Spain was a very Master System country.

Also, the supposed "Golden Age of Spanish Development" which at best was that lots of tiny groups of friends made homebrew games on cassettes for the Spectrum and other standarised computers and sold them on flea markets repurposing cheap cassetes, like say, tapes with jokes that were sold on gas stations.

Also, i might make a gamble and say that Twisted Metal was only popular and relevant in the US. Never ever heard of that series until the PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale Roster was revealed. Or may be that since i was a kid then, never ever cared aboyut that vioolent car game.

Apr 25, 2020
I'm sorry to say that the industry is only US centric because of its horrendous industrial relations (workers rights) laws. Australia had a healthy presence in the industry once upon a time, until the big publishers got a taste of our unionized workforce and better wages and took off faster than road runner.

Jun 3, 2018
London
Great topic! Which also gives me a chance to share recent "best games of all time" list, from the readers of local gaming magazine. They held the vote for the magazine's 30th anniversary. It's hell of a different list to what you see at IGN or even here at Era. And I love it, it's super refreshing and also mirrors my own gaming experiences much better. Besides the lack of Mario.

With a few exceptions, this could be a list from Germany. Not sure that UFO would be so high on a German list. But some of the other "smaller" are definitely popular here.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost everything you read in this forum is US centric for the most part. Politics, religion, gender, race, feminism issues are filtered through the US point of view, and there's quite a number of times where what you think is/should be the norm has nothing to do with what's happening in other parts of the world.
Videogames is of course another one of them. For instance, Halo was seen like this incredibe media phenomenon in the US back in the day, whereas in the EU people were playing playstation or wii games and not really giving a fuck about xbox or halo for the most part.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of adventure games, it has always been weird to me that it is considered that at some point in time adventure games died before getting a sort of renaissance with the release of Telltale's The Walking Dead. While this might be true for the US, this has never happened in Central/Eastern Europe - this kind of genre was still popular there, and being made there as well (With most titles getting made in Germany, heh, but there was a lot of Russian, Czech, and other adventure games too). But researching this topic I see that many of those games didn't really see a widespread release in the US. Still, for us adventure games never died, I still vividly remember that time when I was sort of weirded out because the Internet was full of discussions how 'adventure games are dead' while I on the other hand was playing so many new regular releases of this supposedly dead genre, and was thinking 'what are you talking about? Adventure games aren't dead!'

I think the reason for this is that in the US, the 2 big companies for P&C adventure games were Sierra & LucasArts. Both companies stopped making adventure games in the early 2000s (Sierra outright fell apart).

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Another UK one- in 1990, UK kids were still way more familiar with the Dizzy games than Mario. Mostly as you could buy the games with your pocket money for £1.99, or just swap bootleg cassettes. We swapped puzzle solutions and the most efficient way through the games. It wasn't really until the hype around the Megadrive (1990) and SMB3 (that only released in Europe in summer 1991, just before the SNES), that the push for consoles and their £30-£40 games that didn't take half an hour to load really took over the conversation, and even then the PC crowd stuck with the Amiga. The big push around Nintendo's cartoon, merchandise and the games press around consoles really taking off helped too. So weird to think that it all happened so fast. There's only about 5 years between the console scene really kicking off in the UK and the launch of Edge magazine which tried to leave a lot of the childish warz aspect of the single format magazines behind.
The market was hugely varied with platforms in UK back then. Saw this chart for May 92 doing the rounds a little while back:

E95-8t-WYAgTTjK

I'm sorry to say that the industry is only US centric because of its horrendous industrial relations (workers rights) laws. Australia had a healthy presence in the industry once upon a time, until the big publishers got a taste of our unionized workforce and better wages and took off faster than road runner.
As someone who is an organiser for Game Workers Australia, I know for certain it wasn't because of our unionised workforce that scared the AAA studios away - it was our rising dollar post-GFC. There's still plenty of un-unionised workers getting crunched and exploited down under, sadly.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
The market was hugely varied with platforms in UK back then. Saw this chart for May 92 doing the rounds a little while back:

E95-8t-WYAgTTjK
Wow, that split is even later than I imagined it would be. Thanks for that! What an interesting snapshot. You can really see the final days of the budget games on cassette there as the microcomputers are still holding out. They've got maybe another 18 months before becoming largely irrelevant. Consoles gradually creeping in in terms of market share.

This is just after the SNES launch. Mega Drive very popular. You've also got the SMS selling double the NES, but the GB selling double the GG.

Last edited:

PeachyTofu

Magazine Journalist - PLAY, PC Gamer, Edge
Verified
Jul 9, 2021
United Kingdom
People online always talk about Xbox live and halo 2 in 2004 but honestly my memory is the ps2 was so dominant in the UK I didn't hear about or know anyone who owned anything except a PS2. I felt like the only Gamecube fan In the world at the time, probably cos I wasn't online yet.
Growing up in the UK, I have yet to even see an actual Gamecube in person outside of literal museums. Almost *everyone* I knew gamed on a home computer or PS2, with a small fraction of Xbox users too.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
C64 was absolutely omnipresent here, sharing the market with a bit of Speccy and, in much smaller percentages, MSX and Amstrad CPC.

The fact piracy wasn't really regulated was a huge reason; full price games in shops were the rough equivalent of 6/9€ (not adjusted to inflation) which is cheap enough especially compared to console cartridges, but newsagents had plenty of these monthly mini magazines that came with a tape containing up to 30 pirated games (which titles had been changed and which often had been fan-translated) you could buy for like 4/5€.
Granted, there was a lot of trash in there: countless PAC-MAN and Arkanoid clones each month, many budget games that retailed for 3,5/5€, older games and after SEUCK release, many homemade half-games, but in a 20/30 games tape you'd often end up with at the very least 4/6 proper great titles.
And this was all perfectly legal.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Always found interesting this US/Nintendo centric narrative that videogames were in the verge of extinction due the crash of 1983, and the it was only saved by Nintendo releasing the NES, totally ignoring that arcades were booming in Japan (SNK owner once said that in that era there were moments were the profits of only night in an arcade center gave you enough money to buy a house) and Microcomputers were in the rising in Europe.

Obviously one can't deny that without the NES gaming as we know it today would be totally different, but at the same time, I find weird how some people that gaming didnt exist between Atari and the NES, and even use some out of field examples for the crash, like once I saw a video explaining why "The Moon" theme from Ducktales for the NES was an allegory of said 83 crash

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Growing up in the UK, I have yet to even see an actual Gamecube in person outside of literal museums. Almost *everyone* I knew gamed on a home computer or PS2, with a small fraction of Xbox users too.
Oof. There is a musuem here that will let you play Sonic Adventure 2 on a Gamecube. None of the kids could beat it so they all asked me to beat it for them so they could watch clips of Shadow.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
C64 was absolutely omnipresent here, sharing the market with a bit of Speccy and, in much smaller percentages, MSX and Amstrad CPC.

The fact piracy wasn't really regulated was a huge reason; full price games in shops were the rough equivalent of 6/9€ (not adjusted to inflation) which is cheap enough especially compared to console cartridges, but newsagents had plenty of these monthly mini magazines that came with a tape containing up to 30 pirated games (which titles had been changed and which often had been fan-translated) you could buy for like 4/5€.
Granted, there was a lot of trash in there: countless PAC-MAN and Arkanoid clones each month, many budget games that retailed for 3,5/5€, older games and after SEUCK release, many homemade half-games, but in a 20/30 games tape you'd often end up with at the very least 4/6 proper great titles.
And this was all perfectly legal.
In the school playgrounds of my youth it was as common to swap mixtape cassettes of games as it was music taped off the radio too.

PeachyTofu

Magazine Journalist - PLAY, PC Gamer, Edge
Verified
Jul 9, 2021
United Kingdom
Oof. There is a musuem here that will let you play Sonic Adventure 2 on a Gamecube. None of the kids could beat it so they all asked me to beat it for them so they could watch clips of Shadow.
Was it The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge??? Small place but incredible to visit. Really nice to see this stuff hands on.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil is also where the 8-bit gen is still alive and going.

Nah, this is bullshit that amuses foreigners while turning us into circus attractions. TecToy still have licenses to sell ~master system~ in the classic console form just like classic nes or all the other classic versions. Nobody`s buying master system as current consoles here and they stopped doing that since the playstation 1 days, yet this stupid rhetoric persist because "lmao brazil still plays master system theyre so poor and funny"

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese NES, the Famicon, had better sales representation where I live than the European/US model. I've never owned or seen a NES in person, but I had a Famicon.

Nintendo was really poorly represented in my country up until the Wii's release.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The Master System is generally viewed as a commercial failure but in the UK it had a really long life and most likely outsold the NES.

Beat me to it. Different country though.
Yup came to say this. I didn't know a single person with anything Nintendo until killer instinct came out for the SNES and even after that they all moved back to megadrive etc

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Also, the supposed "Golden Age of Spanish Development" which at best was that lots of tiny groups of friends made homebrew games on cassettes for the Spectrum and other standarised computers and sold them on flea markets repurposing cheap cassetes, like say, tapes with jokes that were sold on gas stations.

Also, i might make a gamble and say that Twisted Metal was only popular and relevant in the US. Never ever heard of that series until the PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale Roster was revealed. Or may be that since i was a kid then, never ever cared aboyut that vioolent car game.
I can confirm that in Spain nobody knows or care about Twisted Metal.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Yup came to say this. I didn't know a single person with anything Nintendo until killer instinct came out for the SNES and even after that they all moved back to megadrive etc
Portables were the big exception. Game Boy trounced the Lynx and Game Gear just like (presumably) everywhere else. Although if there is somewhere that *didnt* happen I'd love to read about it :D

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Spain and I didn't see a SNES until I was a man, it was all about Master System and Mega Drive here. Then along came the PSX and boom.

Also I laugh every time somebody complains about localization or games not releasing wherever as that was the norm here. We missed all the fucking jrpgs in Europe until the PS2 and still there we missed some. Luckily by the PS360 time mostly everything arrived finally.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I can confirm that in Spain nobody knows or care about Twisted Metal.

Don't know about Spain, but here we had two popular car destruction games - Destruction Derby and Carmageddon. Also DeathTrack was really popular at a certain point, I'm probably one of the few (globally speaking) who was pretty excited for the DeathTrack: Resurrection announcement back in the day lol.

Twisted Metal wasn't a thing.

EDIT: Btw, apparently there was one Destruction Derby released on Nintendo 64, and it was the ONLY game of the series developed outside of UK. Heh!

Last edited:

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Nah, this is bullshit that amuses foreigners while turning us into circus attractions. TecToy still have licenses to sell ~master system~ in the classic console form just like classic nes or all the other classic versions. Nobody`s buying master system as current consoles here and they stopped doing that since the playstation 1 days, yet this stupid rhetoric persist because "lmao brazil still plays master system theyre so poor and funny"
as a fellow brazilian, thank you for this post.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I live in Argentina. Famicom knockoffs were the go-to console when I was a kid, which had the curious effect of propping up a bunch of irrelevant games as de facto classics for an entire generation. That's why to this day 30-somethings remember stuff like Battle City or Lode Runner super fondly, while absolutely nobody played a Metroid, Zelda or Final Fantasy game back in the day, because you just couldn't get those games. Then we moved on to the Sega Genesis, and later PlayStation, which absolutely dominated the market outside of PC.
People having Nintendo consoles was rare -I literally saw one Gamecube in the flesh-, and I guess some lucky kids had Dreamcasts back in the day?
PlayStation's success was mostly due to piracy. Almost every gaming store sold pirated copies and only pirated copies. By the PS2 era you could buy games everywhere since DVD was so cheap. Only with the arrival of the PS3 and Steam gamers here started paying for their games (although some places still sell pirated Xbox 360 games).

Dec 2, 2017
I remember arguing with people about Spider-Man 2 that the ps2 version wasn't better just because it was on the ps2. I have no idea about the qualities of the respective ports though.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Double post for some reason nm

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Wasnt Gaelco part of that Golden Age? Always found impressive what they did considering they definitely didnt have the resources that japaneses and north americans had

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
To be fair, the Gameboy was huge in the U.K. at least. Even now when I'd ask people here what their first experience of Mario was, it'd be Super Mario Land (which is the better game compared to Bros).