• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
That is precisely how it works. Bluetooth and most wi-fi networks use the same frequency, which causes interference.

If you're building a device yourself in a garage maybe. There are devices the size of the switch (SteamLink) that have shielding for this and has bluetooth headset and wifi and controllers. enough with the excuses bruh

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Support for bluetooth earbuds is, quite frankly, the one new thing I really want Nintendo to implement for the Switch.

Sure, I would be happy to get other perks, such as an expanded console library for the online service - but at the end of the day I don't even have time to keep up with all the new games that come out, let alone replay older ones.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If you're building a device yourself in a garage maybe. There are devices the size of the switch (SteamLink) that have shielding for this and has bluetooth headset and wifi and controllers. enough with the excuses bruh
Is there more information on that? I'd like to read it.
Also, stop saying people are making up excuses. Not everything is "please don't criticize muh company".

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Is there more information on that? I'd like to read it.
Also, stop saying people are making up excuses. Not everything is "please don't criticize muh company".
lol i was being fictitious with the excuses stuff. But seriously there's no reason this should be a thing for a company like nintendo.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I use my Sony PlayStation Gold Wireless Headset on the Switch. Works awesome!

Same here! Even the microphone works which is great for Fortnite.

Has to be docked though doesn't it? What I really want to use is my wireless earphones while playing portable.

Yes. But I personally just use ear buds from my iphone for portable use. In handheld, it's never more than 2 feet from me.

Edit: I think you can use a usbc to usb a adaptor... but that's going to be a little cumbersome.

Last edited:

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe fully loading a Switch with controllers uses all available Bluetooth channels.
People probably aren't using bluetooth headphones in a multiplayer situation.

Not supporting wireless earbuds is a baffling decision that legitimately cuts down on my Switch usage. I'll want to play something in bed but then remember that I need to track down some ancient wired headphones, so I just watch YouTube on my phone instead.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I got a Genki adapter (can connect 2 separate bluetooth devices at once) and it works like a charm. It is so small and perfect sync with my AirPods. If they are still avaiable, I'd recommend bluetooth people look into them. Pops into the USB-C slot and has a USB-C slot so you can charge while using the headphones.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'd love to see BT audio support added, but to get any decent audio, you'll have to use APTX and I don't see Nintendo paying for it. As soon as I get a little bit of extra cash, I'm going to get one of the USB C adapters and just use that.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
lol i was being fictitious with the excuses stuff. But seriously there's no reason this should be a thing for a company like nintendo.
I was mainly speaking from the experience I have with bluetooth devices. Ran into issues with my PS4 and my phone when not connect to a 5GHz network. Tough if there's a way to circumvent this, then surely it's something any company should look into when designing their devices.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Genki adapter (can connect 2 separate bluetooth devices at once) and it works like a charm. It is so small and perfect sync with my AirPods. If they are still avaiable, I'd recommend bluetooth people look into them. Pops into the USB-C slot and has a USB-C slot so you can charge while using the headphones.
Whoa, didnt know those existed, but still 50 bucks for something thats literally already built in... but good to know

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
It supports up to 8 bluetooth controllers at any time, isn't that the reason why it can't support headphones in addition? I thought the PS4 has a similar issue where it can't support bluetooth headsets because the controllers use bluetooth.

Considering that each joy con is an individual controller using a channel, that would be 16.

singhr1

Oct 28, 2017
Yeap. It would have been also nice to see HDR support since the chipset already supports it. It's a fucking stupid omission

Nintendo hardware really fucking sucks. I love their games though, its utterly frustrating how cheap they can be

Uh HDR displays are still expensive. Unlikely they'll jump from 720p LCD to like OLED HDR anytime soon.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
To be fair. This new switch model is the best thing we original model owners who mostly game on TV could hope for.

I have 0 reasons to upgrade and that's great.

Maybe the reason Nintendo doesn't enable BT Audio is the added battery drain. Stupid move in my opinion. What if I want to game with my wireless headphones in docked mode or while otherwise charging?

Guess Nintendo figured this wasn't a typical use case.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
incorrect ... the first switch should have had it from the beginning.

But I've finally learned with nintendo if it doesn't exist at first... it's never coming. And I've accepted it

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, didnt know those existed, but still 50 bucks for something thats literally already built in... but good to know
I mean to a degree.

Even if Nintendo did support bluetooth audio, I'd bet they'd only support bog standard SBC not any of the other licensed codecs considering they don't even bother paying for any Dolby licensing when it comes to wired audio.

Which means the Genki would still be better even if they did add it really since it supports multiple codec options including AptXLL which is best for latency.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While this is true, it's changing, most if not all new headset (and updated version of old headsets) are using APTx
aptX has about the same latency as any other codec.
aptX Low Latency is a different codec, and almost nothing supports it (mostly Avantree devices).

Nintendo would have to license aptX LL in addition to SBC for the console to support it. An aptX LL device is not going to be lower latency than any other, if it's not using aptX LL.
It's causing interference, you just might not notice it.
If it doesn't cause enough interference to notice, it doesn't matter. And it's not guaranteed to cause interference, like you're implying.
I have a high-powered Bluetooth audio transmitter (Avantree Oasis) located right next to an access point, and it has made no difference to either the Bluetooth range, or WiFi range/speeds.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
aptX has about the same latency as any other codec.
aptX Low Latency is a different codec, and almost nothing supports it (mostly Avantree devices).
Quite a lot of Sennheiser wireless in ears support aptX LL actually, including the new Momentum True Wireless.

As for aptX latency, that's not entirely true. aptX tends to be a lot more consistent since it's set specifications where as SBC and AAC can range anything from as good as aptX to worse depending on implementation on a given device.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
There are some pretty cool, non-discrete Bluetooth adapters on Amazon for cheap. I have one of them. It would be nice to have this built in. It is soooo cool to play a portable console with a wireless headset.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a lot of Sennheiser wireless in ears support aptX LL actually, including the new Momentum True Wireless.
Oh, that's news to me. I haven't really been paying attention to Sennheiser's wireless headphones, since I really didn't like the aesthetic choices they made with their headsets (I don't like how the Momentum range looks at all).
As for aptX latency, that's not entirely true. aptX tends to be a lot more consistent since it's set specifications where as SBC and AAC can range anything from as good as aptX to worse depending on implementation on a given device.
aptX may be more consistent than SBC and AAC depending on the device, but aptX is not a low latency codec. You're still going to get 4–5 frames of latency if it's not aptX LL (which is about 1 frame of latency).

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
aptX may be more consistent than SBC and AAC depending on the device, but aptX is not a low latency codec. You're still going to get 4–5 frames of latency if it's not aptX LL (which is about 1 frame of latency).
Oh I'm not denying that much I'm just saying the other ones can be even worse with bad implementations.

aptX may be tolerable for people less sensitive to lip-sync issues, but the other two may not even get to that point if the implementation isn't there.

Oct 30, 2017
That's not broken. I don't argue that the d-pad is good, because it isn't, but it's also not broken. It's not the right term for a bad d-pad. I can play with it just fine and for many people it needs probably a bit of time to get used to the different feel, but that's just not the same thing as a defect component.

I'm just disagreeing that the d-pad is broken. Nothing more really.

the person you were replying to literally said their d-pad broke twice on them and can't be repaired. do you think they meant that it incorrectly registered a hadouken twice?

Oct 30, 2017
I meant this:

"Oh geez, the defense force for broken controllers is here."

that's a pretty reasonable response to the way you dismissed someone's experiences as "overblown". it's like saying the new macbook keyboards are fine because you don't mind typing on them even though they break on people.

if you don't have standards for d-pads and aren't bothered by the pro controller's, that's up to you and i'm glad you're happy with it. but you literally replied to someone saying theirs was broken to say "nbd, mine's fine". not helpful!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I'm not denying that much I'm just saying the other ones can be even worse with bad implementations.
aptX may be tolerable for people less sensitive to lip-sync issues, but the other two may not even get to that point if the implementation isn't there.
I suppose that's true, though most of the better headsets tend to have comparable latency across SBC/AAC/aptX.
But what I'd point out is that I would say I'm not particularly sensitive to lip-sync issues unless I am specifically looking for them. I can watch videos in a web browser without lip-sync correction (rather than a media player with an offset) because I'm not usually staring at people's mouths as they are talking, so it generally doesn't bother me.
However I find latency to be extremely noticeable when playing games, as you press a button, see the action immediately on-screen, but there's a delay before you hear it; e.g. firing a gun. That stands out far more than lip-sync errors, which is why I think most people asking for Bluetooth audio are going to end up disappointed unless it's aptX LL.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's more forgivable that something like the PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headsets because at least there there's a headphone jack in the controller. If you're playing docked with joycons then you better be sitting right next to the system otherwise no headphones for you

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the biggest limiter for portability, even more than its size and battery life for me. As someone who uses only bluetooth headphones for traveling and commuting, having to carry around a second set just for my Switch is dumb. Most of the time I'd rather just play with no sound tbh.

Jan 2, 2018
if you don't have standards for d-pads and aren't bothered by the pro controller's, that's up to you and i'm glad you're happy with it. but you literally replied to someone saying theirs was broken to say "nbd, mine's fine". not helpful!

Really broken d-pads aren't an widespread issues. It sucks, but things like that can happen with all products. I just disgreed with the sentiment that all pro-controllers are broken because they have a bad d-pad. I'm sorry if I worded that badly.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
It's more forgivable that something like the PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headsets because at least there there's a headphone jack in the controller. If you're playing docked with joycons then you better be sitting right next to the system otherwise no headphones for you

A lot of wireless headphones work perfectly fine for docked mode though... What are you talking about? Just now I'm sitting on my couch with my wireless Steelseries headset playing Splatoon 2. It uses the same wireless dongle I plug into my PS4 to use the same headset. Even Sonys wireless Gold and Platinum headset are supported by the Switch.

The real issue with no BT on board is handheld mode, not docked.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I meant this:

"Oh geez, the defense force for broken controllers is here."
Anyone who claims the D-pad on the Pro controller is fine is most definitely a defense force member. It isn't fine. Any dpad the randomly registers down or up presses when the user presses left or right is broken. There is no logical defense for a company knowingly selling a controller that is that awful. It isnt as you stated a matter of taste. It's a matter of a controller supposed to be functioning one way but actually malfunctioning a different way.

Really broken d-pads aren't an widespread issues.
Buuuuuuuuuuulllllllshit!

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I didn't know that. My mistake.
Can you use 8 pro controllers?

Not sure. I don't think any games support that if you can.

Really broken d-pads aren't an widespread issues. It sucks, but things like that can happen with all products. I just disgreed with the sentiment that all pro-controllers are broken because they have a bad d-pad. I'm sorry if I worded that badly.

Yes they are. It's a design flaw not a manufacturing mishap. There's a reason that people constantly complain about it.

Mine and every single one i've used I get phantom up inputs. Makes tetris on switch garbage (until I got my hori joy con for a d-pad that actually works).

I've actually just transitioned to using a joystick on Mario Maker because of it.