• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It wont support additional bluetooth devices outside of what is needed for controllers.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of head scratching decisions with Switch but not being able to use Bluetooth headphones on a Bluetooth device is near the top of the list

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Yeap. It would have been also nice to see HDR support since the chipset already supports it. It's a fucking stupid omission

Nintendo hardware really fucking sucks. I love their games though, its utterly frustrating how cheap they can be

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It supports up to 8 bluetooth controllers at any time, isn't that the reason why it can't support headphones in addition? I thought the PS4 has a similar issue where it can't support bluetooth headsets because the controllers use bluetooth.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone tried playing tight games with bluetooth audio? I feel like the audio lag would probably drive me nuts lol.

Oct 27, 2017
if it do then let me use my bluetooth buds with it
the vita did this cmon
The problem is more that it reaches the bluetooth channel "limit" facilitating connections to all the joycons if you're playing a 4 player game on a single Switch. The Vita didn't really use its bluetooth for anything else. There's a reason the PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headsets either

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
That's hyperbole. The Switch itself and the Pro-Controller have really solid built-quality. Just the Joy-con have that unfortunate drifting-problem.
Pro controller d pad is dog SHIT that's twice broken on me. I am living abroad right now so no way I can repair it. I had to just swallow my pride and get some 8 bit do devices because Nintendo isn't willing to do the right thing

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Microsoft have gotten good at supporting bluetooth third party headsets so manufacturers don't have to keep making proprietary wireless dongles. Would be great if Nintendo finally join the rest of us in the real world.

Jan 2, 2018
Pro controller d pad is dog SHIT that's twice broken on me. I am living abroad right now so no way I can repair it. I had to just swallow my pride and get some 8 bit do devices because Nintendo isn't willing to do the right thing

The d-pad issue is way overblown. Aside from that you're basing the statement "Nintendo hardware fucking sucks" on you personal experience. I can do the same: My pro-controller works like a dream.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't think constant wi-fi interference whenever using a BT headset is something Nintendo wants for a portable device.

PS4 can use Bluetooth headsets

Stop giving them excuses guys
Half true. Unless your bluetooth headset has a dongle, as is the case with Sony's own BT headsets, the system simply does not support it. Direct connection is a no-no.
Also, I've ran into issues with that. My PS4 would constantly connect/disconnect from my wi-fi network whenever I turned on my headset. Easily solved by connecting it via cables. Not as easy with the Switch.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're fully loading it with dual joycons for every player. It supports 8 connections.

So the Switch Lite should be able to support it, as it will only ever have 6 max.

Are you sure? I'm not sure myself, but I would think the system would still allow up to 8 controllers to be paired. I say this just because otherwise, for an 8-player game, it would require two people use the sides of the Switch Lite. On the other hand, I could see complications from an OS perspective, since the system would technically have 10 sets of inputs and maybe have to disable the system's buttons to achieve 8.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was entirely wrong. Nintendo's website says it's not compatible with Joy-Con, so now I'm not convinced the Switch Lite even has Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 can use Bluetooth headsets

Stop giving them excuses guys

It can? I have read otherwise quite a lot when these discussions come up. Sorry if that was misinformation.

Anyway yeah I'd love it if the support was there but if there's a technological reason why it's not possible it's not really an excuse. If not then I'm all for blasting them for it.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It's not? The joy-con drift is a real issue, but the d-pad on the pro-controller isn't broken just because most people would like a different feel.
When Tetris 99 came out tons of streamers played it and those who used the Pro controller thought one of the power-ups other players get is the ability to create false drops on their screen. What they were actually seeing was their broken dpads registering hard drops when they were hitting left or right. That's a broken controller.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The d-pad issue is way overblown. Aside from that you're basing the statement "Nintendo hardware fucking sucks" on you personal experience. I can do the same: My pro-controller works like a dream.
wtf are you on about, the d-pad issues have been well established

of course people aren't talking about it as much as joy con drift, it doesn't come with the system, but many people have experienced it since day damn one

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The hardware already has Bluetooth support. The issue is that Nintendo are not paying to license audio codecs for it.
They should either pay up and enable it via a firmware update, or make it an add-on license like other systems have done in the past; e.g. the Xbox DVD kit. I can't imagine it costing more than $5–10.

I think a lot of people asking for this feature are going to be disappointed when they find out that their headphones have 4-5 frames of latency (at 30 FPS) which is very noticeable in games.
You need headphones with aptX Low Latency support for gaming, which none of the high-end/popular headsets currently use - and it's very unlikely that if Nintendo were to enable Bluetooth audio, that it would be anything other than basic SBC.
The problem is more that it reaches the bluetooth channel "limit" facilitating connections to all the joycons if you're playing a 4 player game on a single Switch. The Vita didn't really use its bluetooth for anything else
Who is going to be playing 4-player local multiplayer games with Bluetooth headphones on?
Yeah, I don't think constant wi-fi interference whenever using a BT headset is something Nintendo wants for a portable device.
It supports 5GHz WiFi, and Bluetooth should not interfere with the lower 2.4GHz channels.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is more that it reaches the bluetooth channel "limit" facilitating connections to all the joycons if you're playing a 4 player game on a single Switch. The Vita didn't really use its bluetooth for anything else. There's a reason the PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headsets either

Why couldn't they allow Bluetooth headsets UNTIL you wish to connect 8 controllers? How often do people even do that anyway?

Jan 2, 2018
When Tetris 99 came out tons of streamers played it and those who used the Pro controller thought one of the power-ups other players get is the ability to create false drops on their screen. What they were actually seeing was their broken dpads registering hard drops when they were hitting left or right. That's a broken controller.

That's not broken. I don't argue that the d-pad is good, because it isn't, but it's also not broken. It's not the right term for a bad d-pad. I can play with it just fine and for many people it needs probably a bit of time to get used to the different feel, but that's just not the same thing as a defect component.

wtf are you on about, the d-pad issues have been well established

of course people aren't talking about it as much as joy con drift, it doesn't come with the system, but many people have experienced it since day damn one

I'm just disagreeing that the d-pad is broken. Nothing more really.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
You need headphones with aptX Low Latency support for gaming, which none of the high-end/popular headsets currently use - and it's very unlikely that if Nintendo were to enable Bluetooth audio, that it would be anything other than basic SBC.

While this is true, it's changing, most if not all new headset (and updated version of old headsets) are using APTx

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
.. Thats... thats not how that works... what are you talking about?
That is precisely how it works. Bluetooth and most wi-fi networks use the same frequency, which causes interference.

It supports 5GHz WiFi, and Bluetooth should not interfere with the lower 2.4GHz channels.
True, but that's knowledge you cannot expect from the end user. Most people don't even know this is a thing.

All of the devices I use Blutetooth audio with somehow manage to use Wi-Fi at the same time just fine.
It's causing interference, you just might not notice it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not broken. I don't argue that the d-pad is good, because it isn't, but it's also not broken. It's not the right term for a bad d-pad. I can play with it just fine and for many people it needs probably a bit of time to get used to the different feel, but that's just not the same thing as a defect component.

I'm just disagreeing that the d-pad is broken. Nothing more really.

Of course it's broken when it doesn't work as advertised... We shouldn't undermine those problems and not even the Xenoblade 2 controller fixed the problem. It's also an easy fix if you it yourself which is just sad.

Broken doesn't mean that something has to be literally broken...

Jan 2, 2018
Of course it's broken when it doesn't work as advertised... We shouldn't undermine those problems and not even the Xenoblade 2 controller fixed the problem. It's also an easy fix if you it yourself which is just sad.

The d-pad comes in one state and stays that way, while the joy-con work properly and start drifting later. There isn't a technical defect in the d-pad that causes problems, it's just not a good d-pad. The joy-con drifting issue is a real defect. I think there is a difference.

Broken doesn't mean that something has to be literally broken...

I was accused of defending a "broken controller". The pro-controller isn't broken. That's all I wanted to say really.

Dec 23, 2017
Yeah at this point Nintendo makes it real easy for me to keep my money and see what they do with an official switch 2. It is really sad how great and yet frustrating they can be at the same time. Very frustrating!