• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
An unlikely dessert is on its way to becoming as ubiquitous as the croissant.

Not long ago an authentic pastel de nata—the diminutive egg-custard tart with a crispy crust—required a trip to Portugal. But now they're popping up in supermarkets, coffee shops and bakeries from Manhattan to Singapore. The pastry even earned its own episode on the Great British Bake Off, the global hit that conquered the world with bunting and scones.

The pastel de nata, which just means cream pastry in Portuguese, has similarly become an international hit, centuries after it was said to have been invented in a Belem monastery by monks. In Portugal, the simple treat often costs about a euro ($1.14) at the more famous shops, but they fetch up to 3 pounds ($4) in trendy London cafes. One grocer, Lidl, boasted of selling 2,000 nata an hour in the U.K. in 2018, competing with doughnuts for popularity.

It's unclear what exactly sparked the boom, but the pastry ticks a few boxes. Culturally, Portugal is a must-try on an international travelers' bucket list, and budget Lisbon rents are creating a tech hub for millennials priced out of London and New York. The famous, blue-and-white-tiled Pasteis de Belem was made for Instagram bragging, despite being founded in 1837.

Source

So, have you had some nice pastel de nata yet, Era?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, thats just a Egg Tart right. They are everywhere in Asia for years. Different variations too

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh I had one once. since a few months you can see them more and more offered in german bakeries. really liked the one I ate.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a very Portuguese area. These have been a regular part of my life for decades. Incredible stuff.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're amazing.

They're not like the egg tarts you get in UK supermarkets though which are disgusting.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pastel? Pastel is this around here
images

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
They are my favourite pastry, but I never found one outside of Portugal that is as good as the ones there. Most you find abroad are frozen ones imported. When a place makes them themselves, it has to be a good recipy, and you can frankly find some shit versions too (even in Portugal)

I remember getting my first one a breakfast in Portugal in the hotel in Porto, and I hated it. I almost didn't get fresh ones in Belém the next year when I was there, because of it. Luckily I did just to be sure I didn't like them, and god was I convinced on the first bite that it's a heavenly pastry. In hindsight I should've known hotel ones would be terrible, lol.

My favourites are not the originals from Belém though, but those from Manteigaria (they have three shops, two in Lisbon, one in Porto). They are near perfect. One of the bakers in the town I have an appartment in has terrific ones too.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, thats just a Egg Tart right. They are everywhere in Asia for years. Different variations too

Yeah, always had dan tat at dim sum places. Tried the Portuguese version last year and couldn't tell much of a difference other than custard consistency tbh (though that's expected I guess with the HK ones being offshoots).

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
As a huge fan of egg custard tarts generally, the rapid rise of the pastel de nata has been most welcome indeed, as they're so much better than what most supermarkets used to offer!

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
My favourites are not the originals from Belém though, but those from Manteigaria (they have three shops, two in Lisbon, one in Porto). They are near perfect. One of the bakers in the town I have an appartment in has terrific ones too.
I don't think Pastéis de Belém are the originals, they just copyrighted the name and got really famous. I recently ate some from Manteigaria, expecting them to be overpriced tourist trap run of the mill pastéis de nata, but god damn, they're fucking amazing.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I saw the thread title and thought some compatriot was making a joke thread, but no, fucking pastel de nata, now a trendy dessert worldwide. What the hell happened?

P.S: it is indeed delicious if you never tried one. Sweet without being too much. Sparkle some cinnamon for perfect taste.

Last edited:

Hell Shinobi

Oct 27, 2017
Pastel de Nata e Pastel de Belém are two similar but different things OP.
You can get a Nata in every pastry shop, a Belém only at that place and it has a unique taste.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Pasteis de Belem is an incredible bakery. Was there last summer. Pastel de Nata is amazing, especially with some port.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
They're delicious, but I've never had one outside of a pastry shop in Portugal. And by far the best ones I had in Portugal were in Lisbon.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it when visiting Lisbon a few years ago... It's ok, but nothing special either. Just what you would expect from a tiny flan.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Portuguese here, i don't like them even with cinnamon. That said i rarely like a cake so maybe it is my problem and not the cake.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Portuguese food is underrated and pretty rare in Seattle- couple of places to get pastries but it's either tapas or mixed with Brazilian for the most part with the occasional guest appearance by an ok caldo or a Fado performance.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Had those in Lisbon. Had to fight off the seagulls, they definitely recognize those Pasteis de Belem bags on sight. They were pretty good! Best eaten warm, I think.

Oct 27, 2017
The best I've had are from Pinho's Portuguese Bakery in Roselle, NJ.

348s.jpg

So f'n legit. I almost don't want them to go mainstream, mainstream because there will be tons of shit knockoffs that reflect badly on the real deal.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good, pls inject more money into our country, tourists thx

Having one of these fresh out of the oven with an espresso is like, orgasmic. Or very close to that. It's so fucking good.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how different Pasteis de Nata are from the Mexican pastry Cubilete de Queso? Because they look really similar.
Here's a cubilete:
29d76822066d3a77011f0dab31d1db15.jpg

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Pastéis de Belém are the originals, they just copyrighted the name and got really famous. I recently ate some from Manteigaria, expecting them to be overpriced tourist trap run of the mill pastéis de nata, but god damn, they're fucking amazing.

It's the claim they make, yes, but doesn't evidence heavily imply Beléms are the originals? Afaik, the pastry was invented in the monastary next to the pastelaria (the monks had egg yolks to spare, they used the whites to 'starch' their clothes) and the monks had a deal with a nearby sugar refinery for it. They sold the recipe to that refinery in the 19th century, which became the famous place still making them today.

And yes, Manteigaria is the goat, goddamn.

Last edited:

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that spidey loves them

gorditassitio.jpg

Haven't had one in years, other than the ones Oxxo sells (maybe not nationwide?)

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lidl in the UK sell them for 50p(!!!) a pop, before that I could only get them at Nandos who sell them for rip-off prices.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! They are incredible.

Hong Kong egg tarts are a bit different. To me, they are kinda bland in comparison.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
It's the claim they make, yes, but doesn't evidence heavily imply Beléms are the originals, Afaik, the pastry was invented in the monastary next to the pastelaria (the monks had egg yolks to spare, they used the whites to 'starch' their clothes) and the monks had a deal with a nearby sugar refinery for it. They sold the recipe to that refinery in the 19th century, which became the famous place still making them today.

And yes, Manteigaria is the goat, goddamn.
Ah I didn't know that! I also like the Belém ones, they're great, but overrated imo. No need to spend ages in line to buy them, when there are a million places to get a good pastel de nata. Honestly, it's rare to find a bad pastel de nata.