• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

Why would you do this

Why would you post this meme.

You know it looks like you're encouraging parties of 25 people, right.

You know how bad this looks, right.

What is happening.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks fine to me? If it's within health guidelines for the state, what's wrong?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Cases already started on campus btw.

This was last week.

muqbr29fjyi51.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The tweet itself is fine for the regulation, since it's emphasizing the limit. If the concern is that parties of 25 are being emphasized, I'd have to question that limit itself, not the meme image.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The OP posts a thread about the University of Michigan posting a very interesting tweet and shows when trying to critique the use of a meme goes wrong

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'm not a fan of putting a positive image next to "party of 25" and "party of 25" being praised kind of demonstrates dramatically how bad an idea a cap that high is.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Yes, the text of the tweet is in line with their guidelines and the meme itself, and yet... a party of 25 unrelated, separately housed people is still stupid as hell right now. Like that one extra person is what's going to push things over into daaanger? lol no. STOP GATHERING. You're actively contributing to the spread, period.

Oct 25, 2017
Slight "how do you do fellow kids" vibes but that's about it. Is this really what we're choosing to be outraged about today?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
26 people? Oh no the evil COVID will get you! But if there's only 25 people, you're safe now!

Everyone knows COVID plays by the rules, right?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of putting a positive image next to "party of 25" and "party of 25" being praised kind of demonstrates dramatically how bad an idea a cap that high is.

I would very much like the meme removed from this tweet, not a big fan.
25 for an outside event with other guidelines doesn't as bad as you make it to be

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tweet really illustrates how arbitrary these numbers are. There is no difference between having 25 and 26 people at a party but only one is allowed. It's like driving one mile over the speed limit.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
It seems very difficult to enforce masks and distancing for a group that large, especially because they'll likely be drinking and kissing and hugging.

What, a bunch of student volunteer ambassadors policing the distancing and mask wearing doesn't give you confidence?

www.clickondetroit.com

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Police Department partnership seeks to educate social students

University of Michigan students congregating in large groups or not wearing masks can expect to receive reminders about public health and safety.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So I guess people are cool with gatherings of 25 people during a pandemic or

I'm with ya OP

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The tweet really illustrates how arbitrary these numbers are. There is no difference between having 25 and 26 people at a party but only one is allowed. It's like driving one mile over the speed limit.
It's dumb as shit.

Colleges should be banning gatherings period. No shit these kids aren't going to follow guidelines if a big group of them are partying together.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
The meme in isolation is whatever, but the University essentially blessing groups of 25...

I'm just here for the schadenfreude as Michigan State scrapped in-person undergraduate classes for fall 2020. Ann Arbor's going to be a disaster.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I get why this meme is terrible. And I say this as a guy who went to college within the last 10 years and worked as an epidemiologist.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The meme in isolation is whatever, but the University essentially blessing groups of 25...

I'm just here for the schadenfreude as Michigan State scrapped in-person undergraduate classes for fall 2020. Ann Arbor's going to be a disaster.

Eastern Michigan/Ypsi is fucked too. There was a small outbreak so they delayed opening for a couple of weeks.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Expected a whole lot worse but it's pretty silly to make this clear distinction between 25 and 26 people, for sure. If 26 is bad, 25 is also bad, just slightly, slightly less so.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb as shit.

Colleges should be banning gatherings period. No shit these kids aren't going to follow guidelines if a big group of them are partying together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The adults are too greedy to act like adults so they demand the kids act like adults and then punish them when they act like kids.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Seems ok to me. Like sure, it would be preferred if they just didn't party or go to large gatherings but this doesn't feel like Michigan is encouraging parties.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all stupid because 18-22 year old kids aren't going to be following it anyway. If the school actually cared about limiting the spread of coronavirus they wouldn't have students on campus, but good luck charging out of state students 70k for a year of virtual learning so here we are.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States

The adults are too greedy to act like adults so they demand the kids act like adults and then punish them when they act like kids.

It's all stupid because 18-22 year old kids aren't going to be following it anyway. If the school actually cared about limiting the spread of coronavirus they wouldn't have students on campus, but good luck charging out of state students 70k for a year of virtual learning so here we are.

Agreed with both of these.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I totally agree with the OP and am surprised that so many people don't see an issue.

The university should be discouraging large gathering period. I live near a college campus and things are a mess, students are partying as though they have nothing to worry about and many drove long distances to get to school, having many opportunities to risk infection at gas stations, restaurants, and similar places along the way.

The meme makes it seem like the issue with gatherings of 26 people are more is the 26th person. That's missing the point.

To use another example, if you see that a majority of doctors recommend eating less then 40 grams of sugar per day to reduce your risk of diabetes and other issues and you want to share helpful information with your community, it would make a lot more sense for the message to be "You should watch your sugar intake." This meme is essentially saying "You can eat up to 39 grams of sugar per day!" Yeah, that's technically true and it is within the guidelines, but it's a ridiculous spin on the actual intent behind the advice.

This bothers me a lot too. Kids are absolutely going to die because of the way universities are handling COVID. It's disgusting that a Drake meme would be considered appropriate messaging in this situation.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I totally agree with the OP and am surprised that so many people don't see an issue.
The OP's problem is with the use of the meme. Nothing wrong with it since it fits the text of the Tweet perfectly. If this was a thread about 25 people being too many for an outdoor gathering, you'd have a point.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The OP's problem is with the use of the meme. Nothing wrong with it since it fits the text of the Tweet perfectly. If this was a thread about 25 people being too many for an outdoor gathering, you'd have a point.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that discussion in a thread needs to narrowly follow the exact ideas outlines in an OP.

And the OP mentions that the meme could be interpreted as encouraging parties with up to 25 people. Their issue is with the content of the meme, not the meme itself. So I'm not sure what your point is in the first place.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not sure where you're getting the idea that discussion in a thread needs to narrowly follow the exact ideas outlines in an OP.

And the OP mentions that the meme could be interpreted as encouraging parties with up to 25 people. Their issue is with the content of the meme, not the meme itself. So I'm not sure what your point is in the first place.
Their interpretation of the meme is meaningless when the text of the tweet preceding the meme tells you all the information you need to know. There is no confusion about what the university is stating, which would explain why so many people responded how they did.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Their interpretation of the meme is meaningless when the text of the tweet preceding the meme tells you all the information you need to know. There is no confusion about what the university is stating, which would explain why so many people responded how they did.

"Any gathering could be dangerous and gatherings of more than n people are banned" should be the messaging. The text and meme are not very clarifying that a 10 person indoor party or 25 person outdoor party can still be dangerous. Drake looking approvingly at 25 person parties just seems like a very bad call.