• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I looked but I didn't see a thread for this show so I decided to make one, which I don't usually do cuz I'm shy. Anybody watching this? It's pretty good so far.

It's on HBO and the basic premise seems to be that Nicole Kidman is rich and her life is falling apart due to a sudden, high-profile murder.

Here's a picture of Nicole Kidman looking amazing while her life is falling apart:

nicole-kidman-the-undoing.jpg

Also starring:

That British guy who may have read Bridget Jones' diary as Nicole's shitty husband:
the-undoing-hugh-grant-phone-call-social.jpg

President Snow as Nicole's rich father who enjoys staring contemplatively, playing piano and being rich:
5f9330b9da656.image.jpg

A detective with an excellent beard who refuses to leave Nicole alone:
EdgarRamirezTheUndoing.jpg

Misty Day as Nicole's only friend:
gettyimages-1131443056.jpg

A fierce lawyer who wins every case because she's that fierce:
the-undoing-season-1-1603895671.jpg

Feel free to discuss!

Last edited:

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I looked but I didn't see a thread for this show so I decided to make one, which I don't usually do cuz I'm shy. Anybody watching this? It's pretty good so far.

It's on HBO and the basic premise seems to be that Nicole Kidman is rich and her life is falling apart.

Here's a picture of Nicole Kidman looking amazing while her life is falling apart:

nicole-kidman-the-undoing.jpg

Feel free to discuss!
I enjoyed the first episode enough but it feels like it's really telegraphing the end game. I may be wrong but it sure feels like I've already figured it out. I also LOATH direction that uses out of focus edges and clear center. It's like a shitty version of DoF with no purpose. Anyway, it's still entertaining enough particularly if you're into these sort of shows

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first episode enough but it feels like it's really telegraphing the end game. I may be wrong but it sure feels like I've already figured it out. I also LOATH direction that uses out of focus edges and clear center. It's like a shitty version of DoF with no purpose. Anyway, it's still entertaining enough particularly if you're into these sort of shows

I'd like to think it's not as obvious as it seems... but yeah, I'm still finding it interesting regardless.
Nicole totally did it, didn't she... either that or her father paid someone. There's definitely some weird self-gaslighting going on either way.
Also thanks for posting. For a second I was afraid this would be a zero post thread. I felt like a less fabulous version of Nicole Kidman when her friends were like "ew get away no one wants you here."

the-undoing-opening-credits.jpg

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first episode was pretty whack and gave up. It felt like it was written (and sometimes directed and acted) by aliens whose only experience with humanity was other TV shows about affluent white people doing affluent things (and crimes).

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize this would only be a 6 episode series. Wow, the dozens of us watching are already halfway through!

Not looking good for Nicole or her shitty husband in this one y'all. She's so watchable though. She's really perfected that "I'm trying to keep it together just give me a fucking minute" expression. She also continues to be a highly suspicious, unreliable narrator. I'm quite curious to see where this goes.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol I feel like it's so obvious where this is going that it can't be ...where it's going. Yea so idk.

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I wasn't aware of there being multiple meanings for "cocksucker," but according to Donald Sutherland he's an "old-fashioned" one, the kind who "fucks over anyone who hurts his loved ones."

Certainly didn't expect to hear that today! First he threatens to kill Nicole's shitty husband, now this. Apparently Nicole's father is not to be trifled with.

WindsHowling

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Episode 4
Grace is clearly the one who did it, I'm not even sure how much the show wants to hide it. The strange opening credits scene of her as a little girl, the visions, Kidman having a reaction of closing her eyes when cops present her with evidence, her being an unreliable narrator, etc. She likely has dissociative identity disorder and did it in a flight of jealous rage, and Hugh Grant knows about it but is trying to cover for her. She's demonstrated an unwillingness to accept trauma in her life, and her other personality is the part of her that absorbs it, like her fathers infidelities. Donald Sutherland might also know she did it but I'm not sure. My prediction for how the show ends is they pin it on the husband to go along with the overarching theme of the poor suffering at the hands of the rich, who always get away with everything.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Donald was being wasted in a bit role in this show but the build up to ep 4 has been something.

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The plot thickens. Just when I'd begun to feel certain Nicole Kidman's shitty husband wasn't the murderer since that's too basic, his estranged mother (played by Spiderman's Aunt May! No, not Marisa Tomei, the older/better one!) skypes in out of nowhere to expose him as a possible sociopath!

Combine that with Nicole's sudden discovery of the murder weapon and the stage is set for a dramatic series finale. Tune in next week where the whole truth will, presumably, be revealed!

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The plot thickens. Just when I'd begun to feel certain Nicole Kidman's shitty husband wasn't the murderer since that's too basic, his estranged mother (played by Spiderman's Aunt May! No, not Marisa Tomei, the older/better one!) skypes in out of nowhere to expose him as a possible sociopath!

Combine that with Nicole's sudden discovery of the murder weapon and the stage is set for a dramatic series finale. Tune in next week where the whole truth will, presumably, be revealed!
Since day one I thought Nicole was the killer. Her being the injured party only solidified my suspicions. The husband was too easy. Then that phone call and I flipped to Grant. But the violin case?! My first thought wasn't "oh his kid is protecting him" it was, instead "sociopath child born of a sociopath child (now adult)"

The show can be pretty fucking stupid but my thriller/mystery loving partner loves it and I've had good fun. At the time I thought Grants crying scene was terrible, in retrospect we now see why lol

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm watching this partly in for the story but just as much for the way it's shot and how vividly it captures NYC - especially in how distant it all feels in this moment.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking it was the son since the 2nd or 3rd episode. And since then, there have been a ton of scenes of the kid being in the background while the murder is being discussed, as if the director is winking and nudging to the audience that the killer is right there in plain sight. Like in the court scene when the lawyer talks about the killer hitting them over and over, the camera focused on the son for a good while.

Edit: But that's probably just consistent with him having the murder weapon and keeping it a secret.

2nd Edit: Tonight's skype call revealing the husband as a sociopath, makes it far more likely that it's the husband.

Last edited:

dancingcactus

Oct 28, 2017
I am thinking it's actually the kid who's the murder. But the father will eventually take the blame and be announced guilty to save the son, and also for atoning for his sister's death.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The finale is tonight!

(I've low key thought that
Lily Rabe
was the killer all season long...)

OP
OP
Orion

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it was certainly... unexpected for me.
I suppose sometimes the answer is the most obvious one after all. The fact that it ended up being so straightforward almost brought it right back around to being shocking.

He actually had me fooled for a while there with all that fake Hugh Grant charm. I was so sure for a while that Nicole Kidman did it and blocked it all out. I'm so sorry I doubted you, Nicole. You would never.

My favorite part was Nicole's action shot where she charged through those cops and that one was timidly like "ma'am you can't go through."
The finale is tonight!

(I've low key thought that
Lily Rabe
was the killer all season long...)

Not gonna lie I thought this for a minute too lol.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Although the OJ in a Bronco scene at the end tied everything together, i was secretly hoping it was Grace and the show would show a flashback of her version the night of the incident.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hate the finale.. but this show has some of the worst court room writing I've ever seen.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Although the OJ in a Bronco scene at the end tied everything together, i was secretly hoping it was Grace and the show would show a flashback of her version the night of the incident.
I thought that most way through the series since the treated her so much as un unreliable narrator and answered police questions so shittily lol

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
As a lawyer the courtroom scenes were super cringe. But overall I actually liked the concept of
the twist being that there is no twist. The show basically toyed with the conditioning the viewer has after watching too much TV, to always suspect an unexpected killer and for the police to screw up. I thought that was pretty cool.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed about the court room scenes. Absolute garbage. Still, I enjoyed the show overall and I'll admit to being too confident early on in my ability to suss out who did it.
Hugh, you cad! He's played baddies one or two times and it's always a surprise to me. I'm glad they faked me out.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
This was okay but entirely missable. Show peaked with old fashioned cocksucker.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
Like... really? That was pretty lame. So Nicole was really just wandering around that close to the scene of the crime the night it happened, huh? Blah. I liked her outfits every episode so I guess there's that.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
But overall I actually liked the concept of
the twist being that there is no twist. The show basically toyed with the conditioning the viewer has after watching too much TV, to always suspect an unexpected killer and for the police to screw up. I thought that was pretty cool.

Yeah, I liked that too. The evidence for Hugh was pretty incriminating but instead we were all theorizing that it was Nicole in a fugue state or the 12 year old son or something XD

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This show straight sucked, but my lady was convinced it was the son the whole time which made for hilarious viewing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Binged the whole thing in three days. Hugh Grant was fantastic.

Yeah, I liked that too. The evidence for Hugh was pretty incriminating but instead we were all theorizing that it was Nicole in a fugue state or the 12 year old son or something XD
Same. In the end the show is less of a mystery whodunit and more of an exploration into how people will desperately try to talk themselves out of believing someone they loved or admired could do something so terrible. And more than that, how terrible people - or at least people capable of committing terrible things - can so easily blend in with society and put this veneer of good-hearted respectability to so well that even their wife and kid could be fooled.

Kinda baffled by the idea that Jonathan being the killer makes no sense...he is by far the most sensible choice lol. He had motive, means, and opportunity, with a background in casual sociopathy (not just re: his sister but his trying to pin the blame for it on his wife or son too) and the finishing touch of *having the murder weapon*.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
still cant believe how bad that finale was. him killing her made no fucking sense at all. who wrote this garbage
What?
Him killing her was obvious since he came home that day and had sex with Grace. What kind of person that watches her mistress head smashed like that comes home and do that?

The series was an exercise about how this charming as fuck, narcissistic sociopathic guy was casting an spell on the characters and audience while the evidence was overwhelmingly against him.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Binged the whole thing in three days. Hugh Grant was fantastic.

Same. In the end the show is less of a mystery whodunit and more of an exploration into how people will desperately try to talk themselves out of believing someone they loved or admired could do something so terrible. And more than that, how terrible people - or at least people capable of committing terrible things - can so easily blend in with society and put this veneer of good-hearted respectability to so well that even their wife and kid could be fooled.

Kinda baffled by the idea that Jonathan being the killer makes no sense...he is by far the most sensible choice lol. He had motive, means, and opportunity, with a background in casual sociopathy (not just re: his sister but his trying to pin the blame for it on his wife or son too) and the finishing touch of *having the murder weapon*.
It makes perfect sense since
he's the killer in the book too
but people are just conditioned to expect a twist with this kind of TV and when there wasn't really one left disappointed.

Sep 7, 2020
What?
Him killing her was obvious since he came home that day and had sex with Grace. What kind of person that watches her mistress head smashed like that comes home and do that?

The series was an exercise about how this charming as fuck, narcissistic sociopathic guy was casting an spell on the characters and audience while the evidence was overwhelmingly against him.

makes no sense and is inconsistent with his character. she says his wife his nice and has been kind to her, he says stay away from my family, she says no, so he bashes her head into the wall to a pulp (???). if you're doing that type of shit you've been killing people your whole life

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As a lawyer the courtroom scenes were super cringe. But overall I actually liked the concept of

I liked the finale for this same reason. It's kind of refreshing, if done right.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hugh Grant did well to look evil as hell in the end there.
I didn't mind the end, I suspected Nicole would put him in it because he was possibly going to get away with it thinking she did it, but once the weapon location was revealed from the kid I knew she was going to sink him.

I enjoyed the show. Nicole has nice coats.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I watched the first three episodes of this last night, and honestly I think it's really intriguing. That episode 3 cliffhanger was great. Not what I was expecting when they pulled up that laptop with the camera footage.

I was very convinced it was going to be her father.

Kind of sad to read that people here don't feel it stuck the landing, but I'm into it enough to finish it off regardless.

My god does Nicole Kidman still look incredible.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm enjoying it so far, but there haven't been many twists or turns that weren't hilariously telegraphed beforehand

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
LTTP.

Really enjoyed this. I agree with some of the criticisms but as entertainment, well it thoroughly entertained. I just wish Sutherland had got a bigger part, he was incredible. The whole cast did a great job tbf. But yes the court room writing is a massive downgrade coming from something like The Good Fight.

Also I'm totally in love with the actress who plays Elena. That hair, those eyes, that dress, that look.. And also Nicole Kidman never seems to age.