• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I felt that this was a great video worth having a discussion about. Shaun mentions several articles from the bigoted mess that is the British press, such as The Guardian, and how the problematic language and tone of these articles only serve to add further fuel to the transphobic rhetoric that already presents a growing concern in British society. Furthermore, he mentions how some people may unconsciously absorb some of the troubling language and propagate them within their communities, thereby causing further harm to the LGBTQ movement.

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this too. Almost every TERF I've ever heard of comes from the UK. They try to paint all trans people as perverts and predators like they did to gay men only in the very recent past (10-15 years ago). It's the same people tbh.

Sakutarou

Alt account
Banned
Jan 1, 2019
The Guardian is the absolute worst about this.

Nearly every month they run some fearmongering article about Trans kids and teens and how we need to "protect" them by denying them treatment, always featuring the obligatory false positive ftm who detransitioned of course but no mention whatsoever of the countless trans people who deeply regret that they couldn't transition prior to puberty. Their rhetoric is literally ruining lives and killing people

I'd like to see them make the same argument about cancer, given that some cancers have a misdiagnosis rate of over 30%. Clearly we should deny chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery to all patients just because doctors might occasionally get it wrong!

Last edited:

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It's pretty bad. Also, I just read that Julia Grant, a Trans Rights pioneer has died at the age of 64.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Shaun's a good dude, watching the video now. Transphobia is far from a problem unique to the UK but yeah, they've always been a step behind in this regard. It's ridiculously difficult to transition in that country and it wasn't all that long ago they forced transpeople to go through ridiculous hoops like dressing as your identifying gender in public for over a year before prescribing HRT. Basically, if you're really trans and you really want these pills to help you assimilate and be yourself, put yourself through a year of hell. I've heard wait times for HRT can be like 6 months to a year, altho this is all anecdotes I've heard from my friends over there. So yeah, it's not like this is a new issue and it goes deeper than what most people see, like JK Rowling and the type liking transphobic garbage and The Guardian writing transphobic content.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
The guardian has had a few better articles recently, but also some bad ones. They still don't really get it.